HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Zdeno Chara hit Miro Satan ... your opinion?

Old
12-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Nose Face Killah
It's Tuukka Time

vCash: 500
Clean. And I would have never thought I'd see the day when a CANUCKS fan says that a hit from a Bruins player is clean!

Nose Face Killah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:49 PM
tsujimoto74

Both look clean to me. Caught a bit of Satan's head, but he hit his whole body (didn't target the head or lead with his elbow or anything).
Also, I'm a really big fan of Sekera's attempt to avoid a too many men penalty in between the 2.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:53 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
1st was maybe a split second late, but those were clean hits

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:07 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I still think it's clean, but this argument that people use makes no sense.

Yes, Chara is supposed to duck. If he's unable to stop himself from hitting someone in the head because of his height, then he's a danger to player safety when he's on the ice. Simple as that. And if he is such a danger, then there should be a maximum height in the NHL. Or, you know, he could just duck to protect player safety.
That's as ridiculous as having a minimum height every one must be at least 6'5 to play. Satan got caught with his head down Chara didn't even step into the hit.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
That's as ridiculous as having a minimum height every one must be at least 6'5 to play. Satan got caught with his head down Chara didn't even step into the hit.
I never said the hit was dirty. I'm just trying to end that ridiculous defense of tall players. If you use that defense, you have to consider what I said. There shouldn't be both.

12-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Stansfield*

Unless you think two-minutes-for-being-big is a penalty, the second hit was clean.

Stansfield* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

According to IIHF rules, the second hit should be a suspension. I don't agree with it, but if it's a hit to the head, regardless of how tall Chara is, and the receiving player is hurt, it's a suspension. Unless I've totally misread the rules.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:11 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
I never said the hit was dirty. I'm just trying to end that ridiculous defense of tall players. If you use that defense, you have to consider what I said. There shouldn't be both.
But why punish the tall player and not the short player both are equally at fault for the height difference if Satan had been 5 inches taller no big deal.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
But why punish the tall player and not the short player both are equally at fault for the height difference if Satan had been 5 inches taller no big deal.
Because there are more players that are Satan's height than Chara's.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Not that it matters with a player like Chara but the second hit is a an example of a perfect hit for two similar sized players. Chara lets Miro's body do all of the damage to himself thus preventing any wear and tear on his own body. It's irrelevant when talking about Chara but hitting someone can hurt yourself just as much as the person you are hitting and Chara did it perfectly there. Took Satan out of the play, eliminated him of the puck, and didn't take himself out of the play.

If Satan really is making a fuss over this game it's not surprising though. It's Miro being Miro.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:27 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
I still think it's clean, but this argument that people use makes no sense.

Yes, Chara is supposed to duck. If he's unable to stop himself from hitting someone in the head because of his height, then he's a danger to player safety when he's on the ice. Simple as that. And if he is such a danger, then there should be a maximum height in the NHL. Or, you know, he could just duck to protect player safety.
So what happens when the other player anticipates the contact and ducks even lower just before the hit? Is Chara supposed to slide on one knee?

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
So what happens when the other player anticipates the contact and ducks even lower just before the hit? Is Chara supposed to slide on one knee?
No, then it's just 100% that player's fault..

If Chara goes for the hit, hits them in the head, he shouldn't be allowed to use the excuse that it's not his fault that he's tall. Just because you're tall doesn't mean that you shouldn't adjust your game because of it.

If I have a car with an extremely loud horn that breaks the glass windows of houses nearby, was it not my fault? Maybe they should just get stronger windows, am I right?

Old
12-10-2012, 03:40 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

vCash: 1340
Quote:
No, then it's just 100% that player's fault..

If Chara goes for the hit, hits them in the head, he shouldn't be allowed to use the excuse that it's not his fault that he's tall. Just because you're tall doesn't mean that you shouldn't adjust your game because of it.

If I have a car with an extremely loud horn that breaks the glass windows of houses nearby, was it not my fault? Maybe they should just get stronger windows, am I right?
So Chara has to bend to a ridiculously low level (for him) to make a hit? Requiring him to likely lose momentum and possibly miss the hit and give up a breakaway. Sounds great.

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
So Chara has to bend to a ridiculously low level (for him) to make a hit? Requiring him to likely lose momentum and possibly miss the hit and give up a breakaway. Sounds great.
So he could just hit anyone in the head as he pleases and use the excuse, "It's not my fault I'm tall," just to get out of a suspension?

Old
12-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Stansfield*

Quote:
So he could just hit anyone in the head as he pleases and use the excuse, "It's not my fault I'm tall," just to get out of a suspension?
As long as he hits clean and any head contact is incidental, then yes. If it appears he targeted the head with malicious intent, then no.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stansfield View Post
As long as he hits clean and any head contact is incidental, then yes. If it appears he targeted the head with malicious intent, then no.
Didn't the "incidental" part of the rule get taken out?

Old
12-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Between this and the Paccioretty incident all I gather is that Chara is a ***** for being 6'9" 255. Shame on him.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:57 PM
kihei

vCash: 4500
Big man, big hit, end of story.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Stansfield*

Quote:
Didn't the "incidental" part of the rule get taken out?
I don't know. My opinion is subjective, not based on the NHL rule book. Any rule that penalizes a player because his shoulder is roughly level with the average players head is not a rule I abide.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:03 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

vCash: 50
I think kaneone has a point. Hits to the head can be either allowed or forbidden. You can't do both. And in Europe, I think they're forbidden.

I know that everyone can not be pleased. But it's.. either Chara has to take care that he never hits anybody to the head. Or else, every player have to keep their heads so much up that Chara can never do it even by accident.

I don't know what's the best solution.. but one thing I know. The best solution is not to allow some of them and spend hours and hours time afterwards.. examining the replays and judging which head shot was clean and which wasn't. That is not going to reduce any concussions ever. It's what we / decision makers want. Protect players health or see hard action? Can't do both.

W75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:04 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Are you ****ing serious. It's hockey for Christ's sake, its a physical sport. Satan is acting like a little *****. There are no friends on the ice. If anything happened, like Satan is saying, that he could have been paralyzed and that Chara risked Satan's life, then it'd be just a freak injury. Satan is a NHL player, he should be smarter and keep his head up.

nyrpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Did Satan do something to make Chara mad in the game or in an earlier game?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:07 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Satan's a baby

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Stansfield*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
Satan is a NHL player
And according to some people, he goes by the the name of Chara.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Neatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
That has nothing to do with this hit. If a guy tries to duck a hit and gets hit in the head, it's his own fault. Chara easily could have gotten low and crushed Satan cleanly, he didnt. He hit him straight in the head.

Like I said before, it wasnt particularly vicious, but it doesnt get much more "to the head" than that.

Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote