HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout XXV: New car caviar four star daydream, think I'll buy me a hockey team

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
A lot of them are looking to lose a lot of money. Losing money sucks, I'd complain about it too. If I had the means to take a vacation during the process I'd take it.
I'd take the vacation, too. I just wouldn't flaunt it in the faces of the people to whom I'm crying poor.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
its a slap in the face bc its "oh im locked out and wont agree to such terms bc im treated like cattle and get nooone of my money!" and theyre on vacation at some beach, yet the guy who makes 12 an hr to sell merch 4 nights a week to feed his family is struggling just to put food on the table. its disgusting.
Well, maybe the owners shouldn't have locked out the season . The players are not the only party at fault here. The level of scorn they receive for doing things with their free time is comical.

Butch 19
King me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Yeah, because it's not like he's been the guy in charge for three work stoppages over 17 years as commissioner. And if he was in charge for a 4th it would all just be an awful coincidence. I wish everyone would just stop picking on him.
If the NHLPA members knew their place in the sports world, there would be no more lockouts.

Notice there's never a need for the NHLPA to strike - the owners treat their players very well.

Old
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
I'd take the vacation, too. I just wouldn't flaunt it in the faces of the people to whom I'm crying poor.
Oh, like how the owners give out a load of lucractive contracts and then suddenly become poor a couple weeks later?

I think people have decided they need someone to blame, because it's easier than trying to take both sides' perspectives into account. The players have become their scapegoat, and now people look for any excuse to be outraged at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Notice there's never a need for the NHLPA to strike - the owners treat their players very well.
Well, since strikes haven't been allowed by each CBA since 1994...

Old
12-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Bingo Sens
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
He didn't say #lockoutproblem. You're overreacting.

What are you talking about? That's exactly what he said

#lockoutproblems @maripiermorin pic.twitter.com/mP7RfQTO

Old
12-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Because that's where negotiations started. The NHL tried to make an initial "offer" that made their real position the middle ground (50%). Most people thought that is exactly where they would end up but they've done much better than that already.
Well, then, how far has the PA come from their initial offer? You have to look at both, don't you? Has the PA come as far off their original offer as the league has from theirs?

Old
12-10-2012, 03:47 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
If the NHLPA members knew their place in the sports world, there would be no more lockouts.

LOL! The same NHL that opened with a 57% offer.
No one is arguing that the players don't do well. As they should, IMO.
I don't begrudge these guys doing well. If I could get more money at my work I would too. To be honest, there seems to be some jealousy on the part of some people. I also don't begrudge the owners the billions that they are worth. Neither side needs the money that they are currently fighting over.

Old
CerebralGenesis

Why are we mad at him for being on a beach? I would if I were him too.

and I still think Fehr is the main culprit for no season.

Old
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
I am so sick of seeing people argue this. How are contract rights such a big issue? The vast majority of players will never be affected by the new contract issues, and yet it is these same guys who are paying the steepest price for this lockout.
The age of free-agency effects everyone lucky enough to get that far. Arbitration is a lever that few use but gives negotiating power to a lot of players. Unions wouldn't work if everyone involved was only interested in what effected them.

Quote:
As for having "destroyed" the NHL's offers, well, we disagree on that term, as well.
The NHL's first two "last, best offers" were blown away by their third "last, best offer" and we aren't even done yet.

Old
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Because that's where negotiations started. The NHL tried to make an initial "offer" that made their real position the middle ground (50%). Most people thought that is exactly where they would end up but they've done much better than that already.
TBH, talking about the first offer is such a strawman.

It was a lowball that the NHLPA got their panties in a bunch over. Get over it.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Well, then, how far has the PA come from their initial offer? You have to look at both, don't you? Has the PA come as far off their original offer as the league has from theirs?
No, why would you? Their original offers weren't based on anything. They could have started at 100% of HRR... those numbers aren't relevant to anything.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Oh, like how the owners give out a load of lucractive contracts and then suddenly become poor a couple weeks later?
Well, show me some pictures of them flaunting their wealth that they've posted to Twitter. I'd find them equally distasteful and would say so immediately. Give me some links and I'll bash away.

Quote:
I think people have decided they need someone to blame, because it's easier than trying to take both sides' perspectives into account. The players have become their scapegoat, and now people look for any excuse to be outraged at them.
I blame both sides. Wouldn't like either side doing stuff like this, but the fact of the matter is that the players are the only ones doing it. If they don't like the reaction they get, they should stop. Simple as that.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ottawa Senators View Post
What are you talking about? That's exactly what he said

#lockoutproblems @maripiermorin pic.twitter.com/mP7RfQTO
Not according to this:

https://twitter.com/mturco35/status/278245260528865281

You don't have a link to your tweet, so I can't really view it.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:51 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Hamrlik not backing down.

Mentions twice they should have started to negotiate sooner. LOL

And when asked reaction to the NHL's rejection of the NHLPA proposal he didn't claim to be the victim or that he didn't understand. He had to do a little dance to get it answered though.

No apology.

Article and Video

Old
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
TBH, talking about the first offer is such a strawman.

It was a lowball that the NHLPA got their panties in a bunch over. Get over it.
I'm over it. It was pretty obvious that the NHL was using that offer to get to 50% as soon as possible and the NHLPA has eroded that position substantially was my point.

Old
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
The NHL's first two "last, best offers" were blown away by their third "last, best offer" and we aren't even done yet.
I've long since gotten confused over the offers. Can you give me the specifics of what the NHL offered and the degree of blowing away that was done?

I understand the players gave up the quest for guaranteed revenue - the bit about their share never going down even if revenues drop. That doesn't sound like it blew away any part of any offer from the owners. Again, you have to look at it from both sides.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
So the 18 people attending Islander games gives you the impression Wang's fortunes come from hockey revenue?
Not sure how their personal fortune is related to their franchise's ability to spend. First, the Wild are rolling in money. Then, they suddenly don't have that money and aren't all that eager to pay those players they've signed.

I'm trying to highlight the fiction that the owners are somehow less driven by greed/personal interests than the players. Holding one party accountable and giving a free pass to the other baffles me.

Old
Chelios

Quote:
The age of free-agency effects everyone lucky enough to get that far. Arbitration is a lever that few use but gives negotiating power to a lot of players. Unions wouldn't work if everyone involved was only interested in what effected them.

All the contracting rights do is divvy up the pie among the players. One players "gain" is another player's "loss" since there is a finite amount of money to go around.

Old
Moe Mantha

vCash: 501
Quote:
This may help.
http://copyingandpasting.com
http://howtheinternetworks.com

Old
12-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Bingo Sens
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Not according to this:

https://twitter.com/mturco35/status/278245260528865281

I beleive me and the other poster were referring to Prust's tweet, not Turco's

https://twitter.com/BrandonPrust8/st...606785/photo/1

Old
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Why are we mad at him for being on a beach? I would if I were him too.

and I still think Fehr is the main culprit for no season.
Simple answer - because human beings are inherently jealous.

Fans look at this lockout and can't understand why players and owners can't agree to split up salaries we'd all kill for. Just like the poor can't believe the middle class won't pay more taxes, and the middle class can't believe the 2% won't pay more taxes. It's not until you are in the fortunate minority that you can look at these things as simple business transactions, and once you do, you'll be "slapping" someone in the face.

Don't get me wrong...showing pictures of you on a beach is insensitive. The PA should be reminding some of these idiots that they are a product in a business and they should be more sensitive to the plight of the the customer. But when people get really riled up, it's because they're jealous.

Old
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
No, why would you? Their original offers weren't based on anything. They could have started at 100% of HRR... those numbers aren't relevant to anything.
Why would I? Because that's where you're basing your opinion that the PA has made such huge strides - going off the owners' first offer. No? Didn't you point out the initial 43%? You said "Because that's where negotiations started. The NHL tried to make an initial "offer" that made their real position the middle ground (50%). "

If you judge the owners' movement from their first offer, IMO you have to look at the players' movement off their first offer, as well. Seems only fair to do it that way.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Well, show me some pictures of them flaunting their wealth that they've posted to Twitter. I'd find them equally distasteful and would say so immediately. Give me some links and I'll bash away.

I blame both sides. Wouldn't like either side doing stuff like this, but the fact of the matter is that the players are the only ones doing it. If they don't like the reaction they get, they should stop. Simple as that.
There's a solid chance they don't like the reaction or criticism they're getting, and are trolling you guys. if that's the case, you guys are playing right into it.

Old
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Hamrlik not backing down.

Mentions twice they should have started to negotiate sooner. LOL

And when asked reaction to the NHL's rejection of the NHLPA proposal he didn't claim to be the victim or that he didn't understand. He had to do a little dance to get it answered though.

No apology.

Article and Video
Props to that guy. He is frustrated and is being vocal about it. I question if it helps the process, but I would only be so lucky to be able to give Fehr and the PA a thought or two.

Old
Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
28 games is ridiculous. Players wouldnt be completely in shape until the second round of the playoffs.
I don't care about that.

I like to watch NHL hockey, so I'll watch whatever is on and I know plenty of people who would watch with me.

Closed Thread