HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXV - I'll see you in court!

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 03:27 PM
hlaverty06

vCash: 500
everyone throw monopoly money on the ice for the first face off.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Look, they finally found a jersey for both NHL and NHLPA.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

vCash: 425
I would have suggested this, but it's missing an H

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
12-10-2012, 04:06 PM
goalvalchuk17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
I would have suggested this, but it's missing an H

assath? i dont get it?

Old
12-10-2012, 04:26 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
it means aces you @sses

Old
12-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
My question is who are you looking to punish here? Because you seem to be mad at the players and NHL, but your actions are directed at the Devils (who, by all accounts, are against this lockout and probably want it over with as badly as you do). It's punishing someone who sides with you but can't publicly say that.

The issue I see here is that a percentage of fans from every team will protest for at least some time. And I completely agree that a message to both parties is needed, but the problem is that the teams with some actual pull (the "rich guys" with monster fan bases who actually generate some revenue for this league) will not be as financially hurt by this as a team like the Devils will be. The STH who leave those teams will be replaced by others. Sales/Revenues may go down a bit for them, but they'll still be making good money and actually turning profits. Not so with the Devils, who already struggle. If every team loses 5% of their fans, the teams with smaller fanbases get hit much harder by this. Not only that, but it affects future lockouts less, because these are the poorer teams with less pull on big issues like lockouts. Vanderbeek going in front of the BOG and saying "Last lockout killed us, this simply can't happen again" carries much less weigh than a team like the Rangers/Bruins/Flyers/Wings/Leafs etc saying the same thing, because they support much of the league.

I believe that it's more on the fans of rich teams (especially the Bruins) to protest by boycotting their teams. If their owners feel the effects, they'll be the ones bringing about real change next time. You think the Bruins (or any rich team) still profiting after a lockout cares much about the Devils (or teams with worse fan/money issues) struggling more than they already do? Not really, if anything that'll just make them want to move those teams to places that will support better after their lockouts.

Fans of smaller teams could protest by not watching national games like NBC games and the Winter Classic or 24/7. But speaking to the Devils, we all know that this team is typically break-even with success on the ice. We all know our owner is struggling to hold on to the team. The Devils will never be a lock to stay here, they will always have to do well on the ice and financially. There aren't a lot of billionaire Devils fans who don't care if the team loses money. I realize that is a ways off given our TV deal and lease, but that day will come and the building blocks for a solid owner committed to keeping the team here is reliant on fan support and revenue.
I know that my actions will hurt the Devils primarily, but in all honestly, I don't care. I honestly don't care. I've been a fan of the Devils and the NHL for nearly 20 years now and I have been pumping money into this league from when I first started working when I was 14 years old. Anyone who knows me, knows how rabid of a fan I am and I'm now at the point where I'm completely disgusted. The Devils have been quiet through all of this, I get it, and appreciate it too. And I'm fully aware of their situation to the point that I went out of my way last year to go to more games than I probably should have (when you take finances into consideration) Unfortunately, the Devils happen to play in this league and it is what it is. I can't stand the thought of my money going into the pockets of these greedy sons of *****es. Nothing but greed on full display these last 2 1/2 months.

Here is the bottom line. Whether it's the players' fault, or the owners' fault, whatever....the paying customer + the employees of the league + local businesses, well we have all been totally disrespected and taken for granted. With social media being what it is today, I find it next to impossible to have any amount of respect toward either side. ZERO. Just think about how we have been toyed with and treated during this entire process. Insulting doesn't even begin to describe it.

I slightly side more with the players in all of this but these dudes need to get a ****ing grip. THEY MAKE TOO MUCH MONEY!!! The league obviously can't support it (or don't want to) When are these idiots going to realize that if they keep this up and don't open their eyes, they are going to have no league to play in. Yeah, it sucks to have to bend over the owners all the time. I'd be sick too, but at what point to they cut the stupidity and realize that they're just losing more and more every single day? This is insane. Who are they trying to punish? And when the NHL comes back, I'm supposed to just go and cheer for these guys like some blind idiot? I don't respect them or their cause. Scoring a goal and hearing a horn go off will not change that for me.

Don't get me started on the owners. Hopefully when they decide to open their doors again, a CBA that isn't just ****ing lipstick will be in place. Limits on contracts, why? Because they can't control themsleves?

This league is just a mess and its sad. Such a great game that will never ever be respected. How can it be when it is managed like a total piece of ****?

Last edited by Sir Fenwick Corsi: 12-10-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 05:26 PM
apice3*

I'm sorry but I can't buy into any of this "boycott the NHL" nonsense. That's not going to do a damn thing. Especially that new protest of boycotting one day for every day after December 21st lost to the lockout. I bet the Rangers and Bruins are really going to miss 1% of their fan base spending money on them for a couple weeks of a 6-10 year CBA.

Boycotting isn't going to accomplish a thing. It's one thing if the fans were unionized. If everyone boycotted the NHL, then yeah, they'd feel it. But that's not going to happen. Like it was just said previously, the big markets' seats will be filled by others. The small market bases take a hit but they have no voice as is, so protesting them by default is going to lessen their voice even further.

I'm sorry but anyone who thinks any of the big 4 sports leagues cared about the fans, you're incredibly naive and gullible. Sure some leagues, teams, and players care about the fans more than others, but for the most part none of them give a ****. They just want to play and get paid for it. If they cared about the fans, they wouldn't charge 80 bucks an autograph that some of the idiots even on this website pay. They wouldn't charge 15 bucks for a kid to eat chicken fingers. They wouldn't charge 140 bucks for a jersey that you can order from China for 50 - and the best part is the "official" jerseys look like knockoffs and the Chinese knockoffs look like they were just worn in a game. But sure, that whole stick raising thing they do at the end of the season, that makes up for it. The "Thank You Fans" video the NHL spends 20 minutes to make, that makes up for it too.

They didn't care about me before, they don't care about me now, and they won't care about me in the future. And I'm going to be back day 1 because there's nothing I can do about it. Just gotta put it behind me, accept that the league and players I suport are selfish, and move on. And I expect most fans to do the same. How many fans were *****ing and moaning about the 2004 lockout in 2005, 2006, and 2007? Once the sport is back, the fans will throw their hissy fits for a week and then everything will be back to normal. All those fans boycotting, I'd like to see what they do when they get word that their team is in the Cup finals. Guarantee they break their boycott.

Fact of the matter is I love the sport. The NBA is a joke, NFL teams play 19 times a year at most, and baseball is insanely boring and dragged out. Hockey is the best sport out there and there is no alternative. If there was a second hockey league out there that could compete with the NHL, I'd support them and wouldn't look back. But that's not the case. I have no other option. So when the sport is back up and running, I will be watching and attending just as much as before pretty much pretending that nothing happened because that is the only way I, as a fan, will get any benefit from this whole process. Boycotting isn't going to do a thing for the players or owners, unless it's done on the grand stage which is totally unrealistic, and it's definitely not going to do a thing for me.

Go Devils.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:31 PM
VaxjoDevil

Oh look, one more of the "anyone who doesn't think like me is an idiot" posts.

There is fans union, by the way, or an association, with over 30 000 members, the NHLFA.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

The sport and the league we follow in that sport are completely different things

I love the sport too, we all do - the league? most of us don't

Old
12-10-2012, 07:11 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I think it can be safely said that the Weber offer sheet is a major thing on mind of those owners

It was a BS deal the Flyers put forth to screw the Preds given how much bonus $$$ was upfront , etc
That situation was unreal, but legal.

Personally, I'm still hoping the NHL hits the Wild with tampering charges on Parise. Wouldn't shock me in the least as it sometimes takes eons for the league to investigate those.

But regardless of whether Minny is free and in the clear on that or not, they need to insert language to prohibit that situation from ever happening again. "I heard something interesting from this guy", shouldn't be allowed to be used to circumvent the July 1st FA date.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:37 PM
apice3*

Yeah, something about info leaking that the Wild "will not be outbid for Parise" followed by the Wild offering him 14 mil a year for 4 years just rubs me the wrong way.

And then that owner cries poverty.

I want their first round picks for 5 years.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:39 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
Oh look, one more of the "anyone who doesn't think like me is an idiot" posts.

There is fans union, by the way, or an association, with over 30 000 members, the NHLFA.
The only time I insulted anyone is when discussing autograph prices. And I'll say it again. You are a complete idiot if you pay outrageous prices for autographs.

And I've never heard of that union/association but that's not what I'm talking about. When I said unionized, I meant that if this hypothetical fans union forbid ALL fans from attending games, 0 sold tickets for 30 stadiums for 82 games per team, then the boycotting will be felt. No one in the NHL business cares in the slightest bit about the 1% that won't buy NHL merchandise for a 3 week period just to prove a meaningless, unfelt point.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

I don't really care at this point if the Wild tampered. It's a lost cause. However I wish the NHL would make an example like they did with us, and fine them TWO first round draft picks, one for each circumvented contract. Just like they did to us, and fine them money, and do the same thing they did to us.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:02 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

I don't care enough anymore to wish for tampering, but on the other hand.. looking at the forward depth the team lacks and the impending Kovalchuk penalty, it'd be nice to collect some extra draft picks down the line.

So if they're going to fine them draft picks, I'd at least like to get one of those

Probably won't happen, though.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:44 PM
VaxjoDevil

How did they tamper? I missed that.

Now I saw something that is pissy, the JWC games are either like 2.30am, 4am or 7am. Geez this season is bad for fans. I love those games, but I'm just not up that early.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:50 PM
manilaNJ

Prior to free agency, the former GM of the North Stars got on the radio and said he just had dinner with Wild management and said in so many words that they were ready to back up the money trucks to his front yard.

I think a quote was "they'll give him so much money, he'll be able to own the team"
Think he also implied that it'd be a lifetime contract, too

Edit: The beatwriter, I believe, also leaked the details of the contract in one of his posts.

Just a lot of leaks and slips before July 1st.

Which is all a fancy way of circumventing the tampering rules, I guess.
Don't care as much anymore, but again, if we can steal some draft picks out of it... all the better.

Last edited by manilaNJ: 12-10-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Even so - I don't sense the same itch to get back to the game like I did back in 04-05.

I see people who say they'll be back, but I don't see anyone excited to go to a game at this point.
I think that will change if games actually show up on the schedule. We'll be upset, but we'll still go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
everyone throw monopoly money on the ice for the first face off.
This is something I would be a fan of. Let's organise it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
That situation was unreal, but legal.

Personally, I'm still hoping the NHL hits the Wild with tampering charges on Parise. Wouldn't shock me in the least as it sometimes takes eons for the league to investigate those.
They probably won't. Minnesota most likely never made direct contact with Parise or his agent, and I don't think JP was subject to the same tampering rules, nor Lou Nanne. So they just told Nanne to tell JP, and that's how Parise knew what the offer was. Very shady, but it's hard to prove tampering occurred.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Yup can't prove tampering technically occurred. What we can prove is cap circumvention did. So why were we ****ed with over Kovy, but Minnesota can circumvent not one, but TWO contracts in the same day, and the league looks the other way? How were those contracts different from Kovy's as far as cap circumventing goes? They're supposed to get $12 million for the first two years.

Just to make myself clear, I'm not going after them because I'm bitter about Parise. Minnesota ain't the only other team to circumvent the cap. Those two contracts with Parise, and Suter were a big deal this Summer though just as Kovy's was two Summers ago. Maybe I don't understand cap circumvention, but how are their contracts different from Kovy's? That's what pisses me off.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:14 PM
manilaNJ

Kovy's contract became the line in the sand since there was nothing explicitly written in the CBA. All you have to do is make sure you don't exceed his contract in years and variance and you're golden, apparently.

Weber's contract is even more ridiculous than either Parise or Suter's, and that still wasn't punishable.

Edit: Although, now that I think about it.. it's not overall variance, it's the drop off from year to year.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

I'm not stupid to think that the players or league actually ever gave a **** about me in the first place. That's not the point with people who are fed up. It's one thing not to care, but to blatantly be ******** on us as well? Sorry, can't get behind it.

Look, everyone is going to feel differently about it. If you can sit there Day 1 when they return and move on as if nothing ever happened, more power to you. But when this ******** continues to keep on happening every 6 - 7 years, so be it I guess.

All I'm going to remember about the players and owners, after all is said and done, is just how ****ing spoiled they have been and how out of touch with reality they are. I don't care if they want more money. Who doesn't? But this **** has just been way too public and I'm sorry, millionaires and billionaires fighting over money is for the ****ing birds. It's ridiculous. Both sides are way better off than nearly the entire population and yet they can't seem to compromise and reach an agreement where they both make ridiculous money. **** that noise. This is a stupid ass game at the end of the day. These guys are getting paid millions of dollars. Shut the hell up and play the damn games.

It's not so much about boycotting as it is saying "**** you". I know someone else will be in line and they do to, so maybe my absence doesn't mean anything in the end. But it's also why garbage like this will continue to happen over and over again. But I just can't justify the blatant disregard for me as a customer. I wasn't pissed in 05. I was extremely disappointed, but not pissed. Things were in a bad way and the promise was that it would be better even if it meant losing the season. Well how did that turn out?

Old
12-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Kovy's contract became the line in the sand since there was nothing explicitly written in the CBA. All you have to do is make sure you don't exceed his contract in years and variance and you're golden, apparently.

Weber's contract is even more ridiculous than either Parise or Suter's, and that still wasn't punishable.

Edit: Although, now that I think about it.. it's not overall variance, it's the drop off from year to year.
People keep missing the provision in the Kovalchuck contract. When the NHL fought with the PA to accept the contract one of the provisions the PA asked for and got that the NHL couldn't say no TO ANY backloaded deal as long as it was legal in the CBA. There was no CBA rewrite after the Kovy deal, just agreed to not challenge them until the new CBA.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:33 PM
manilaNJ

nevermind, nothing to see here.

Last edited by manilaNJ: 12-10-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 09:49 PM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by nona weisbaum View Post
I'm not stupid to think that the players or league actually ever gave a **** about me in the first place. That's not the point with people who are fed up. It's one thing not to care, but to blatantly be ******** on us as well? Sorry, can't get behind it.

Look, everyone is going to feel differently about it. If you can sit there Day 1 when they return and move on as if nothing ever happened, more power to you. But when this ******** continues to keep on happening every 6 - 7 years, so be it I guess.

All I'm going to remember about the players and owners, after all is said and done, is just how ****ing spoiled they have been and how out of touch with reality they are. I don't care if they want more money. Who doesn't? But this **** has just been way too public and I'm sorry, millionaires and billionaires fighting over money is for the ****ing birds. It's ridiculous. Both sides are way better off than nearly the entire population and yet they can't seem to compromise and reach an agreement where they both make ridiculous money. **** that noise. This is a stupid ass game at the end of the day. These guys are getting paid millions of dollars. Shut the hell up and play the damn games.

It's not so much about boycotting as it is saying "**** you". I know someone else will be in line and they do to, so maybe my absence doesn't mean anything in the end. But it's also why garbage like this will continue to happen over and over again. But I just can't justify the blatant disregard for me as a customer. I wasn't pissed in 05. I was extremely disappointed, but not pissed. Things were in a bad way and the promise was that it would be better even if it meant losing the season. Well how did that turn out?
I love the game way to much to say I will not watch when they come back. I'm as pissed as you are and agree with much of which you post. However to say I'm going to turn my back on the Devils because of some greedy head strong ******** I can't do it. I have committed my money elsewhere as I believe others have, so my visits to the Rock will be limited. I will take my kid when she is home on college break which I have been waiting to do all year BUTTMAN. They will lose much of the momentum they gained after the last one, but it will rebuild. Its just pure shame it has to. They better get it right this time, because there only so many times you can stick you head under water before you drown.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:39 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nona weisbaum View Post

I agree with everything your saying but there's nothing we an do about it. Not attending, not watching, whatever, hurts me more than it hurts them. They're not going to miss my couple hundred bucks I spend on tickets, but I'm sure as **** going to miss having something to look forward to 82 times a year + playoffs.

In the past, I watch Net games when the Devils have off but the NBA just can't hold my attention on a nightly basis. It's upsetting getting out of work on certain days, going home, and thinking "now what?"

Old
12-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Well I'm not going to turn my back on the Devils completely. I know that once there are games to watch, I'll be watching again. It's just going to be difficult to put the business aspect of everything aside because both the NHL and PA have made it all about that. As I said, way too much of this process has been in the public eye and a lot of disappointing comments have come from the PA side.

I'm just taking the money thing real personal. It really bothers me to have to fork over my money when all they care about doing these days is fighting over it. It's frustrating. And its messed up because when you watch your team, you want them to do well and you want to pull for them. I mean even if we all already knew that this is mostly a job to these guys, it's a lot easier to put that side when they're not saying and doing stupid **** all over the internet.

This has just been really bad on both the PA and NHL's part. Very disappointing time to be a fan right now.

Closed Thread