HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout XXV: New car caviar four star daydream, think I'll buy me a hockey team

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 03:55 PM
OpAck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
Marty Turco the latest to slap every fan in the face.

https://twitter.com/mturco35/status/278245260528865281

Seriously...the stupidity of some of these players. I don't get it. Upshall was the worst case...with him yapping about how he gets treated like cattle and how the owners are taking everything away from him...then he posts a pic of his beachview. Dumb with what's going on today...especially considering the state of our economy. Alot of us are struggling...I lost my job in 2009 and have been struggling to start my own business since the job market is bone dry. I wouldn't mind 1/10th of what these guys are making. So when they're posting pics of their "Hollywood-like" livelihood...all the while complaining about how other rich crybabies are treating them like "cattle"...they've got ZERO sympathy from me.

And I get it...these guys take a beating and have to train...and travel plenty which separates them from their families for stretches. But there are plenty of jobless people in this economy who are just struggling to live paycheck to paycheck. Now is not the time to be posting pics of your beautiful vacation or beachfront home with #lockout or #lockoutproblems tied to it. Must be nice to NOT get paid and be able to take a pic of your warm, cozy vacation spot or home in December. Meanwhile, people like me haven't even had a vacation in 3 years now.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:56 PM
kihei

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
The NBA did not have Donald "DON'T SIGN, I CAN STILL GET YOU MORE" Fehr
I don't understand this constant carping on Fehr. People try their damndest to make him into a scapegoat despite the evidence that he has the players support. The player's union solidarity seems fine; the vast majority seem to have no major complaint about how he is running his side of things at all. Looks to me like he is doing exactly what he is paid to do.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:57 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
There's a solid chance they don't like the reaction or criticism they're getting, and are trolling you guys. if that's the case, you guys are playing right into it.
Pretty much, Turco is a funny dude too. Not sure what the big up-in-arms is all about.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Bingo Sens
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I don't understand this constant carping on Fehr. People try their damndest to make him into a scapegoat despite the evidence that he has the players support. The player's union solidarity seems fine; the vast majority seem to have no major complaint about how he is running his side of things at all. Looks to me like he is doing exactly what he is paid to do.
Players spend their entire lives being told what to do by scouts, coaches, managers, owners etc..Fehr is merely another figurehead they will listen to and blindly follow because it's all they know how to do

Old
12-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
I've long since gotten confused over the offers. Can you give me the specifics of what the NHL offered and the degree of blowing away that was done?
The first offer was a complete ass kicking on contract rights (FA @ 28, loss of arbitration, 5 year contract limits etc.) and "make whole" paid by the players.

The most recent offer was 100's of millions in transition money and easing on FA age, arbitration rights etc.

Again, anyone thinking that the players should have just signed that first offer isn't looking at this clearly.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Moe Mantha

vCash: 501
Imagine Jeremy Jacobs tweeting the same photo with similar hashtags...

I'm not offended by Turco doing this, but I don't think it was a wise thing to do.

Old
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
There's a solid chance they don't like the reaction or criticism they're getting, and are trolling you guys. if that's the case, you guys are playing right into it.
Well, that's a possibility and certainly speaks to the maturity level of those players! It's a great idea to "troll" the very people whose sympathy you're trying to gain!

Old
vanwest

Quote:
Not only that, but it also ignores the fact that Fehr was not the head of the NHLPA for the last two work stoppages. The only constant has been Bettman, and while he can't be given all of the blame it's a little weak to put all of the blame on Fehr too given the history of the NHL being dysfunctional.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:00 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
What is this based on? If there were 300 players coming out to the media, there would be major major problems with the union. If you've been part of a union, you'll know that you may or may not agree with their direction but you cannot abandon it without alienating it and yourself.

We've heard from many sources that the players are growing more and more antsy and disgruntled based on Fehr promising to get them more and more as the NHL pulls the plug and says its off the table. Whether that is true or not is to be determined though. That doesn't change the fact that Fehr's leash is getting shorter and shorter. We'll see if he can get them more after a season is canceled. I'm curious to see what the show would be like in the NHLPA if that were to occur.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ottawa Senators View Post
I beleive me and the other poster were referring to Prust's tweet, not Turco's

https://twitter.com/BrandonPrust8/st...606785/photo/1
I took my link from the other poster; he was referring to Turco, who did not use the term #lockoutproblems.

I still think, regardless of hashtag used, people are getting way too worked up. People receive these tweets because they've asked to receive them. Just stop following him and the source of annoyance goes away. He probably wants the attention, so why give it to him if you're all so annoyed? If you stop following them, you'll stop receiving dumb pictures that annoy you. Player suddenly has less followers and a smaller audience, and maybe he feels a little less important to boot. Continuing to get angry over a player on the beach, commenting on it, giving him attention, etc. wont make much difference.

At the end of the day none of it has anything to do with getting the lockout resolved faster. Spending so much time working up a rage over it seems like a huge waste of energy.

Scurr

Quote:
If you judge the owners' movement from their first offer, IMO you have to look at the players' movement off their first offer, as well. Seems only fair to do it that way.
I wasn't judging the movement, just trying to gauge where the middle ground was. The initial offers from either side are not relevant. The only marker for how far each side has moved is the last CBA, the players have clearly made all the movement. So far they've managed their losses as well as possible imo.

Old
Butch 19
King me

Quote:

Well, since strikes haven't been allowed by each CBA since 1994...
wha?... no comment re " - the owners treat their players very well."

Old
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
What is this based on? If there were 300 players coming out to the media, there would be major major problems with the union. If you've been part of a union, you'll know that you may or may not agree with their direction but you cannot abandon it without alienating it and yourself.

We've heard from many sources that the players are growing more and more antsy and disgruntled based on Fehr promising to get them more and more as the NHL pulls the plug and says its off the table. Whether that is true or not is to be determined though. That doesn't change the fact that Fehr's leash is getting shorter and shorter. We'll see if he can get them more after a season is canceled. I'm curious to see what the show would be like in the NHLPA if that were to occur.
IT would be a gong show. I get the sense that Bettman's leash is also getting shorter. One more lost season and I think he will be asked to retire.-

Old
12-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Iron Fist
We suck.

I've noticed that just about every player that has done the whole #lockoutproblem are players that aren't major assests to their team, which is really comical. Mike Richards is maybe the only one I've seen do it that is actually an asset to his team.

Old
rdawg1234

There wont be an outbreak YET from the PA, but soon.

IMO it depends on how this week goes. If talks get back on and it looks good, they'll keep standin behind him. But if the Owner's offer get's worse, I see parts of the pa breaking out requesting to take the NHL's offer with 300m etc. etc. from a week ago.

Old
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
The first offer was a complete ass kicking on contract rights (FA @ 28, loss of arbitration, 5 year contract limits etc.) and "make whole" paid by the players.

The most recent offer was 100's of millions in transition money and easing on FA age, arbitration rights etc.

Again, anyone thinking that the players should have just signed that first offer isn't looking at this clearly.
The longer this Lockout goes on, the less correct you are. If the entire season is lost, and the players lose over a billion dollars, what exactly could they ever possibly gain?

The players position was flawed from the beginning. Why? Because they can't handle financial loss created by their hard nosed negotiating tactics (Fehr).

Old
12-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post

Again...

What was the players' first offer and how far have they come off of it? IMO you simply can't point out what the owners have compromised on and call it an "ass kicking" without comparing it to what the players have compromised on. The degree of "ass kicking" by one side is tempered by the degree of "ass kicking" they've suffered, as well.

And, as far as I can recall, I've never heard a single person say the players should have signed that first offer. I've heard a lot say they should have negotiated off of it and not taken a month to reply to it, but not a one that feels they should have accepted it.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:03 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Not sure how their personal fortune is related to their franchise's ability to spend. First, the Wild are rolling in money. Then, they suddenly don't have that money and aren't all that eager to pay those players they've signed.

I'm trying to highlight the fiction that the owners are somehow less driven by greed/personal interests than the players. Holding one party accountable and giving a free pass to the other baffles me.
Just pointing out that teams are actually losing money, and are sustainable ONLY because they are able to funnel personal fortune gained through other business endeavors.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:04 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
I don't care about that.

I like to watch NHL hockey, so I'll watch whatever is on and I know plenty of people who would watch with me.
You may not care, but the NHL does. You will never see a 28 game season. The integrity of the game is a complete joke once you start to creep into 50 or fewer games a season.

Bare minimum to have a season is 50 games, +/- 2.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:04 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Again...

What was the players' first offer and how far have they come off of it? IMO you simply can't point out what the owners have compromised on and call it an "ass kicking" without comparing it to what the players have compromised on. The degree of "ass kicking" by one side is tempered by the degree of "ass kicking" they've suffered, as well.

And, as far as I can recall, I've never heard a single person say the players should have signed that first offer. I've heard a lot say they should have negotiated off of it and not taken a month to reply to it, but not a one that feels they should have accepted it.
Would the first offer had been 43% if negotiations had started last season like the NHL wanted?

Old
12-10-2012, 04:06 PM
vanwest

[QUOTE=StevensCakeBakerBacker;56430783]The longer this Lockout goes on, the less correct you are. If the entire season is lost, and the players lose over a billion dollars, what exactly could they ever possibly gain?

The players position was flawed from the beginning. Why? Because they can't handle financial loss created by their hard nosed negotiating tactics (Fehr).[/QUOTE]

I know that most think that the players are just being greedy. IN my opinion, there is no way that they will recoup their losses. I think that they are looking at the long term here and want to send a message to the NHL that they won't just roll over. If the do just concede then next time around they could be moved to non guaranteed contracts like the NFL or whatever else the NHL decides to impose on them. I'm not saying that I agree with the PA on this, but I think that may be their long term view on the financial hit they will take.

Old
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Mantha View Post

I'm not offended by Turco doing this, but I don't think it was a wise thing to do.
difference is, as big a dbag as Jacobs is, hes smart enough not to do that.

Old
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
I still think, regardless of hashtag used, people are getting way too worked up. People receive these tweets because they've asked to receive them.
This is a good point, however, it's not totally accurate.

I unfollowed all NHL players a while back because of this sort of stuff. Did exactly what you suggested. However, I can't control what other people I follow choose to Re-Tweet. I still see a fair share of it because those people choose to share it. People would have to quit following Twitter entirely in order to ensure they don't see some of this stuff.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:08 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Would the first offer had been 43% if negotiations had started last season like the NHL wanted?
Probably. The NHL didn't start serious negotiations until October when the financial pressure got ramped up. The failure of the PA to negotiate last season is a red herring. There has been plenty of time for both sides to reach a deal.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:08 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Mantha View Post

I should tweet a picture of my so-so house to show how mediocre I am. Take that, NHLers!

Closed Thread