HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Wii U: Nintendo's Next Generation Console

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

vCash: 500
The Wii U has been great for my marriage

The Wii U has been great for my marriage:

http://www.gamezone.com/products/wii...or-my-marriage

Old
12-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

I went to 3 Wal-Mart locations this weekend. 1 had none in stock, the other 2 only had a couple of the Basic Set in stock.

Hopefully Nintendo will shift it's production to focus mainly on the Deluxe Set as that seems to be by far the more popular option.

Last edited by Neely2005: 12-10-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Not buying a Wii U until a Metroid or Zelda hits. So basically 2014 at the earliest. By then it'll be ~$150

Old
12-10-2012, 01:07 PM
BeBen*

Getting this for free by my best friend

He won an online sweepstakes, had 2nd pick in prizes, 2nd best was a Wii U but he bought one yesterday so he's just gonna give it to me, it comes with the NSMB2

Old
12-10-2012, 01:09 PM
BeBen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
Not buying a Wii U until a Metroid or Zelda hits. So basically 2014 at the earliest. By then it'll be ~$150
Are you insane?

The Wii's first price drop was 3 years after launch and only 50$

You think they gonna cut the price in half in less than 2 years?

LOL GLHF

Old
12-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
Are you insane?

LOL GLHF
It's going to have to when the real next gen systems hit the market, because the only reason to play a Nintendo system will be their first party.

See: Nintendo 3DS launch.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
Are you insane?

LOL GLHF
3DS had a very quick price drop. If Wii U sales are anemic, then yes it will see a drop. The Wii didn't have a price drop because it was selling at a ridiculous pace.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Also: The Wii U's competition is the 360 and the Ps3, both those systems will be ~150 or less when we enter next gen (which will be 2014).

Nintendo put themselves in a rough spot with the Wii U.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
It's going to have to when the real next gen systems hit the market, because the only reason to play a Nintendo system will be their first party.

See: Nintendo 3DS launch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselForSelke View Post
3DS had a very quick price drop. If Wii U sales are anemic, then yes it will see a drop. The Wii didn't have a price drop because it was selling at a ridiculous pace.
Quote:
Also: The Wii U's competition is the 360 and the Ps3, both those systems will be ~150 or less when we enter next gen (which will be 2014).

Nintendo put themselves in a rough spot with the Wii U.
The reason for the 3DS price drop was the lack of games at/near launch. Nintendo has said numerous times that they've learned from that mistake and there will be 60+ games available between the launch date and March.

Nintendo made money on the Wii from day 1. With the Wii U they're actually losing a little money on the console itself. (They make money if 1 game is bought with the console)

The Wii U will be competing against other 8th Generation Consoles. The Wii will continue to compete against the PS3 & Xbox 360.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
The reason for the 3DS price drop was the lack of games at/near launch. Nintendo has said numerous times that they've learned from that mistake and there will be 60+ games available between the launch date and March.

Nintendo made money on the Wii from day 1. With the Wii U they're actually losing a little money on the console itself. (They make money if 1 game is bought with the console)

The Wii U will be competing against other 8th Generation Consoles. The Wii will continue to compete against the PS3 & Xbox 360.
I love my Nintendo systems, but the Wii U is currently the worst system (performance wise) for third party games already, and the Ps4/720 aren't even out yet. Will it take devs time to code for the system properly? Yes, of course. But, by the time third party devs fully figure it out, the new consoles will be out.

Again, I own every Nintendo system they've ever released, and I still play my Super Nintendo daily, but the Wii is likely to finish this gen in third place, and I don't see the Wii U duplicating the Wii's success, even with all of Nintendo's heavy hitters behind it. It'll be extremely difficult/possibly not even worth it for devs to scale their Ps4/720 games down to the Wii U, nevermind implement gamepad functionality...

Nintendo has to really unload the first party heavy weapons to get people to buy the system, and I don't see them doing it. I hope at E3 they have it coming, because they'll be in tough for 2013 if the new Smash isn't shown, Zelda is MIA and their other franchises are ghosts as well, and all we have is Pikmin and NSMB U.

The Wii U will finish at N64/Gamecube levels more than likely, and that's fine, because I own and love both those systems. But the Wii U will not be competition for Microsoft and Sony, just like they weren't competition this gen (for an entirely different reason, I admit). It sucks, because, I really want Nintendo to do well.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
I love my Nintendo systems, but the Wii U is currently the worst system (performance wise) for third party games already, and the Ps4/720 aren't even out yet. Will it take devs time to code for the system properly? Yes, of course. But, by the time third party devs fully figure it out, the new consoles will be out.

Again, I own every Nintendo system they've ever released, and I still play my Super Nintendo daily, but the Wii is likely to finish this gen in third place, and I don't see the Wii U duplicating the Wii's success, even with all of Nintendo's heavy hitters behind it. It'll be extremely difficult/possibly not even worth it for devs to scale their Ps4/720 games down to the Wii U, nevermind implement gamepad functionality...

Nintendo has to really unload the first party heavy weapons to get people to buy the system, and I don't see them doing it. I hope at E3 they have it coming, because they'll be in tough for 2013 if the new Smash isn't shown, Zelda is MIA and their other franchises are ghosts as well, and all we have is Pikmin and NSMB U.

The Wii U will finish at N64/Gamecube levels more than likely, and that's fine, because I own and love both those systems. But the Wii U will not be competition for Microsoft and Sony, just like they weren't competition this gen (for an entirely different reason, I admit). It sucks, because, I really want Nintendo to do well.
The Wii has sold almost 100 Million consoles and you think that it's going to finish third in sales behind the 360 & PS3?

The new game engines are scalable. They can run on an iPad or iPhone. They'll be able to run on the Wii U too. They may not have the same level of graphical detail as the PS4 or 720 but the Wii U will still be able to run them.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
The Wii has sold almost 100 Million consoles and you think that it's going to finish third in sales behind the 360 & PS3?

The new game engines are scalable. They can run on an iPad or iPhone. They'll be able to run on the Wii U too. They may not have the same level of graphical detail as the PS4 or 720 but the Wii U will still be able to run them.
It's really not that crazy. The Wii has sold ~100 million units, and both the Ps3 and 360 are sitting at just over 70, but you have to remember with the Ps2 it sold another 50 million units AFTER the Ps3 came out (and still sells remarkably well to this day). The 360 sells incredibly strong in the US and the PS3 does the same in Europe, it really is not out of the question for the Wii to finish in 3rd place by the time the generation is officially "over" because all three consoles are very likely to break 100 million. The Wii is the proverbial rabbit in the rabbit vs. turtle race of console sales.

And I agree that new engines are scaleable, but just look at what happened to the Ps3 with Skyrim. It does not take very many sub par ports before a machine gets a stigma. The Gamecube could easily run Ps2 games, but it didn't receive very many ports either. I just really hope Nintendo has learned from their mistakes, because I want them to succeed.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
The engines are scalable, that doesn't mean the games themselves are. Gears of War is not on the iPhone.

Actually, they'll probably stay relatively close in terms of detail since the WiiU has a decent GPU. The problem is they won't be able to work on the most basic levels of many games if they require a lot of on-screen routines. It's already cropped up as a problem today, I can only imagine when it's trying to do something that relies on heavy levels of AI routines and everything that comes with that; open world games especially.

I also don't think either Sony or Microsoft are too worried about catching up to the Wii, because of their extreme advantage in software attach.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
The engines are scalable, that doesn't mean the games themselves are. Gears of War is not on the iPhone.

Actually, they'll probably stay relatively close in terms of detail since the WiiU has a decent GPU. The problem is they won't be able to work on the most basic levels of many games if they require a lot of on-screen routines. It's already cropped up as a problem today, I can only imagine when it's trying to do something that relies on heavy levels of AI routines and everything that comes with that; open world games especially.

I also don't think either Sony or Microsoft are too worried about catching up to the Wii, because of their extreme advantage in software attach.
Darksiders 2 is a good example of how an average to good game on a Ps3/360 could possibly be a bad to shoddy game on the Wii U this early in the life cycle.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...wii-u-face-off

I'm not being all doom and gloom, because I think games will get better and ports will become closer to the other current consoles/possibly a bit better, but the system itself seems to already be having issues with certain things (as the article demonstrated, lighting for one)

Oh, and Darksiders 2 isn't even running in true 720p. It'll be scary when a game comes along that actually is unless the programmers are godly.

(Oh, and there are really good ports of games on the Wii U, like Assassin's Creed 3 and Trine 2, no one's arguing that there won't be good ports)

Last edited by Orpheus: 12-10-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Protest the Hero

I doubt every studio has the money or time to create games to compete with the best looking on PS4 and 720. The mid level studios will either have to create Wii U exclusives, or at least start on Wii U and port up to the other systems.

Things should get better for Wii U when developers learn how to utilise the GPGPU to take some of the heat off he CPU. I've read things that suggest the other consoles are going in that direction too, although the CPUs won't be nearly as limited.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:
Umm, where are all these games for the Wii U? It seems there's a bunch of year old, half baked ports from 360/PS3, a bunch of crap, and Mario and Zombi U

Also the 3DS lineup still blows ass (Just not as bad as the Vita)

Old
12-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
I doubt every studio has the money or time to create games to compete with the best looking on PS4 and 720. The mid level studios will either have to create Wii U exclusives, or at least start on Wii U and port up to the other systems.
That's really not how it works. Install base, software attach and demographics are much more important to which system you design for, not the comparative technical prowess of your competition. There are companies releasing games on the PS3 that don't scratch Uncharted's visual polish, or Forza on the 360, that doesn't mean they'd be more successful if they had designed for Wii.

And besides, in modern game design, no third party starts with a console and then ports from there. They start with their own game tools and a PC and port from there.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Darksiders 2 is a good example of how an average to good game on a Ps3/360 could possibly be a bad to shoddy game on the Wii U this early in the life cycle.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...wii-u-face-off

I'm not being all doom and gloom, because I think games will get better and ports will become closer to the other current consoles/possibly a bit better, but the system itself seems to already be having issues with certain things (as the article demonstrated, lighting for one)

Oh, and Darksiders 2 isn't even running in true 720p. It'll be scary when a game comes along that actually is unless the programmers are godly.

(Oh, and there are really good ports of games on the Wii U, like Assassin's Creed 3 and Trine 2, no one's arguing that there won't be good ports)
I'm reading your link and watching your videos, and I'm not seeing them being nearly as negative towards the appearance of the game as you make it sound. It seems DS2 had problems on every console, and some are better and some are worse on the U than on the other 2. For a launch day port, I'm not sure what can be expected, though. I know I don't mind their launch having a bunch of ports, though. Beats the hell out of the launch day lineups for Wii/360/PS3.

When Sony and MS eventually release their next gen consoles, I think we'll see most games ported to all three. the U will almost definitely be weaker hardware wise, but I can't imagine we'll see the same disparity we've seen this gen.

what I'm curious about is how Nintendo's eshop evolves. Early on, it seems smaller publishers really like it. While the big games might be weak sister ports to the U, I wonder if Nintendo will be able to rope in more and better indie games to buy online. I've also wondered if we're going to see Nintendo be more aggressive in stepping into situations (such as with Bayonetta 2) where there is demand for a game, but some funding falls through.

Regardless, the U seems to be selling well, and I doubt we see a price drop any time soon. Maybe in 2014 to help put the screws to MS and Sony's launch, but I don't think we'll see a repeat of the 3DS debacle.

12-11-2012, 06:12 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
It's really not that crazy. The Wii has sold ~100 million units, and both the Ps3 and 360 are sitting at just over 70, but you have to remember with the Ps2 it sold another 50 million units AFTER the Ps3 came out (and still sells remarkably well to this day). The 360 sells incredibly strong in the US and the PS3 does the same in Europe, it really is not out of the question for the Wii to finish in 3rd place by the time the generation is officially "over" because all three consoles are very likely to break 100 million. The Wii is the proverbial rabbit in the rabbit vs. turtle race of console sales.

And I agree that new engines are scaleable, but just look at what happened to the Ps3 with Skyrim. It does not take very many sub par ports before a machine gets a stigma. The Gamecube could easily run Ps2 games, but it didn't receive very many ports either. I just really hope Nintendo has learned from their mistakes, because I want them to succeed.
So the 360 & PS3 will continue to sell but the Wii & Wii Mini won't?

And when it comes to the 360 the numbers are skewed because a lot of people bought new ones due to the high failure rate.

As to the power of the Wii U just remember that the most powerful console is rarely (if ever) the best selling. Almost every Generation has been 'won' by the weaker console.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
So the 360 & PS3 will continue to sell but the Wii & Wii Mini won't?

And when it comes to the 360 the numbers are skewed because a lot of people bought new ones due to the high failure rate.

As to the power of the Wii U just remember that the most powerful console is rarely (if ever) the best selling. Almost every Generation has been 'won' by the weaker console.
The Wii was already on the downturn sales wise late last year/early this year, and it is slowing down (although the Wii did outsell the Wii U last month) even more now. It will continue to sell, but with the other two coming out late 2013 at the earliest, late 2014 at the latest, they'll still sell big next year as well.

I think console horsepower has nothing to do with who wins a generation, however with that said, Nintendo has been alienating their core more and more over the past few years, and Sony particularly, has been embracing that core audience. Microsoft is after them on the casual side, and the Wii U tech is not really something that can't be replicated with a 720 + Smart Glass or a Ps4 + Vita remote play, and having a niche was why the Wii sold so well. I don't think there is any way for the Wii U to sell 100 million unless Nintendo embraces the people that have stuck with them since the start..and they don't seem to be doing that.

With tablets gobbling up the casual market more and more, and Microsoft interjecting themselves into that market as well, Sony focusing on the hardcore the best they can..Nintendo has to fall back on the strength of their relationships with third party developers (which is not great, and has never been great since the Super Nintendo in the console realm) and their first party games.

So, I think the Wii U will be another Gamecube or N64, good but not great sales...and I really hope Nintendo has the games like those two systems did to make it something I truly want. I don't think for a second they will pull a Dreamcast or anything, but they have definitely lost a step in my opinion.

Also: Nintendo has sucked at marketing the Wii U and it's games globally..nevermind the eshop problems in Europe, the 1-5gig first day patch debacle..they are stuttering through online problems that Sony and Microsoft figured out ~5 years ago, and are now playing catch up..I hope they manage to actually get caught up.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:37 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Don’t Panic: The Wii U Naysayers Are Wrong:

http://kotaku.com/5945239/dont-panic...yers-are-wrong
Quote:
Wii U: Third Parties, Nintendo, and Why it Might Dominate Next Gen:

http://gamingbolt.com/wii-u-third-pa...inate-next-gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I would say this is the key point:

While it's looking at a great start I had some concerns for Nintendo's continued success in the long term if Sony and Microsoft's new consoles would be powerful enough to push Nintendo out of the AAA multi-platform genre again, but it looks like that isn't going to be the case.

That said, looks like the predictions I was making 5 years ago are going to come true. People have been complaining about the direction Nintendo took with the Wii for a long time, believing that Nintendo 'abandoned' the core gamers for casuals in making the Wii and that what they really should have done is make a Gamecube 2 that would be on par with the PS3 and 360.

While it would have made a few people happy overall I've always said that this would have been a disaster. The N64 lost to the Playstation. The Gamecube lost to the PS2 and Xbox. A Gamecube 2 would have been more of the same, probably more so even if you consider the loss Sony and Microsoft were selling their consoles for at the start. Nintendo's just a game company, it doesn't have a mega corporation backing it up that can afford to lose billions before they start making a profit. All they would have accomplished was another 3rd place finish and a further decline into obscurity, coming closer and closer to following Sega's fate.

No, I've been saying from the early going of the Wii that what Nintendo really needed to do was differentiate themselves from Sony and MS and make lots of money. They were just going to lose again if they tried to play the same game as the Playstation and Xbox, so they had to change the game. Some long time fans would be lost in the process, but as long as they're making lots of money off of a new fanbase (casuals) they could re-invest these profits into their next console to win them back.

What Nintendo needed was to build up a war chest, and the Wii accomplished that. You think Nintendo would be able to invest in better OS services, a modern console multiplayer system, a fancy tablet controller, exclusive software deals, and to sell the console at what must be a lower profit margin allowing for a stronger system, if they didn't make so much money from the Wii?
Quote:
Yeah I would agree that is the key point. As long as the Wii U is getting good versions of all the big games that's what really matters. The PS2 thrived even though the Xbox & Gamecube versions of games were better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post

The above articles talk about the scalability and how publishers will be able to put their games out on the Wii U, PS4 & 720.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselForSelke View Post
Umm, where are all these games for the Wii U? It seems there's a bunch of year old, half baked ports from 360/PS3, a bunch of crap, and Mario and Zombi U

Also the 3DS lineup still blows ass (Just not as bad as the Vita)
The 'launch window' games are listed here:

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/Wii_U_Launch_Games

Quote:
Game Wiki
Publisher
Assassin’s Creed III
Wiki Review Ubisoft
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition Wiki Review Warner Bros. Interactive
Call of Duty: Black Ops II Wiki Review Activision
Chasing Aurora Web Review Broken Rules
Darksiders II Wiki Review THQ
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two Wiki Review
Disney Interactive
EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13
Wiki Review
EA
ESPN Sports Connection Review
Ubisoft
Game Party Champions Wiki Review Warner Bros. Interactive
Just Dance 4 Review Ubisoft
Little Inferno Wiki Review Tomorrow Corp.
Madden NFL 13
Review EA
Mass Effect 3
Review EA
Nano Assault Neo Wiki Review Majesco
NBA 2K13 Wiki Review 2K Sports
New Super Mario Bros. U Wiki Review Nintendo
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge Wiki Review Nintendo
Nintendo Land Wiki Review Nintendo
Rabbids Land Wiki Review Ubisoft
Scribblenauts Unlimited Wiki Review Warner Bros. Interactive
Sing Party Review Nintendo
Skylanders Giants Wiki Review Activision
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed
Wiki Review SEGA
Tank! Tank! Tank!

Review

Namco Bandai
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
Wiki Review Namco Bandai
Transformers Prime
Wiki Review 2K
Trine 2: Director's Cut
Review Frozenbyte
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013 Review Ubisoft
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Review Tecmo Koei
Wipeout: The Game 3
Review Activision
ZombiU Wiki Review Ubisoft
Launch "Window" Titles

This is the full, current list of games planned to launch for the Wii U between Day 1 (November 18) and the end of March 2013 – the "launch window." Some titles are scheduled only for North America at this time, and those have been noted throughout.[1]

The company has yet to commit to specific dates for all of these titles. Check the appropriate wiki for updates as new information arises.
Game
Wiki Publisher
007 Legends
Wiki
Activision
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Wiki SEGA
Ben 10: Omniverse D3
Bit.Trip Presents: Runner 2 Future Legend of Rhythm Alien Aksys Games
Cabela’s Dangerous Hunts 2013 (North America only) Activision
Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade D3
Funky Barn (North America only) Ubisoft
Game & Wario Wiki Nintendo
Jeopardy! (North America only) THQ
Jett Tailfin (North America only) Maximum Games
LEGO City Undercover Wiki Nintendo
Marvel's The Avengers: Battle for Earth Wiki Ubisoft
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Wiki Capcom
Pikmin 3 (North America only) Wiki Nintendo
Rapala Pro Bass Fishing (North America only) Activision
Rayman Legends Wiki Ubisoft
Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game D3
The Wonderful 101 (North America only)
Wiki Nintendo
Toki Tori 2 Two Tribes
Wheel of Fortune (North America only) THQ
Wii Fit U (North America only) Nintendo
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013 Ubisoft
Zumba Fitness Core (North America only) Majesco
Other Announced Retail Games

This is a list of announced Wii U games that will probably not make the "Launch Window." Please add either an external citation (not Wikipedia!) or a link to the game page on IGN for any games.

Marvel's The Avengers: Battle for Earth
Bayonetta 2 (Platinum Games)
Dirt for Wii U
Dragon Quest X
Game & Wario (Working Title)
LEGO City Stories
Project Cars [2]
Super Smash Bros. "Next"
The Wonderful 101
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online
Wii U Panorama View (Working Title)
Need for Speed Most Wanted
The Amazing Spider-man

Announced Digital (eShop) Games

1,001 Spikes (Nicalis)
Bit.Trip Presents Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Gaijin Games)
Cloudberry Kingdom (Pwnee)
Marvel Pinball (Zen)
Mutant Mudds Deluxe (Renegade Kid)
Sabre Rider and the Star Sheriffs [3] (Firehazard)
Toki Tori 2 (Two Tribes)
Little Inferno (Tomorrow Corporation)
Chasing Aurora (Broken Rules)

Unofficial/TBA/Rumored Games / Demos

The following game demos were shown in playable/interactive form at E3 2011 and CES 2012.While they were positioned as gameplay concepts, many past Nintendo E3 demo concepts were eventually turned into games and game collections (for example, components of Wii Sports Resort, Steel Diver).

We're also including games that have been suggested or hinted at, but NOT formally confirmed. This includes a game like Metro Last Light, which was shown at E3 2011, but then confirmed to not be actively in development.

Battlefield
Crysis 3 (Electronic Arts)
F1 for Wii U [4]
Medal of Honor: Warfighter [5]
Metro Last Light
Shield Pose
The Legend of Zelda HD
Un-named Bird Demo
Monolift Soft New IP [6]

Old
12-11-2012, 03:20 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
So, I think the Wii U will be another Gamecube or N64, good but not great sales...and I really hope Nintendo has the games like those two systems did to make it something I truly want. I don't think for a second they will pull a Dreamcast or anything, but they have definitely lost a step in my opinion.
The N64 sold 33m units and had 23% of the market share, while the Gamecube sold 22m units and had 10% of the market. You're grouping them together but it's quite a significant difference really, you really think the Wii-U will be anywhere close to Gamecube bad?

And it can't be stated enough that the Gamecube was the last Nintendo console to cater towards the 'core' gamer crowd.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
The N64 sold 33m units and had 23% of the market share, while the Gamecube sold 22m units and had 10% of the market. You're grouping them together but it's quite a significant difference really, you really think the Wii-U will be anywhere close to Gamecube bad?

And it can't be stated enough that the Gamecube was the last Nintendo console to cater towards the 'core' gamer crowd.
What exactly is their 'core' gamer crowd?

Which Nintendo games were better on Gamecube compared to Wii, outside of Metroid Prime?

Is it just about specs then? The Gamecube is an incredible piece of tech, considering the hardware inside, and its absurd strength, but Nintendo released better games on the Wii.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
What exactly is their 'core' gamer crowd?

Which Nintendo games were better on Gamecube compared to Wii, outside of Metroid Prime?

Is it just about specs then? The Gamecube is an incredible piece of tech, considering the hardware inside, and its absurd strength, but Nintendo released better games on the Wii.
Twilight Princess played much better on the Gamecube than the Wii, and I find Wind Waker to be better than Skyward Sword. Also liked the N64 collection and Four Swords adventures better than Skyward sword.

Corruption was better story wise, but Prime 1 was really good, also on the Gamecube.

Smash Brothers melee is more highly regarded by the competitive fighting scene for that kind of the game than Brawl.

Gamecube didn't really get a good Mario game (sorry Sunshine, I still love you..but you are no 64/Galaxy)

Fzero is still the main reason most people I know still play their gamecube..haha.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is seen as superior to the Wii version (counts, published by Nintendo)

Mario Kart not sure, too tainted by 64 and still think thats better than both the Gamecube and Wii version.

As for the market share/amount sold comment, I think ~25-35 million units is about where the Wii U will finish unless Nintendo pushes really hard or has third party weaponry it hasn't released yet. The market share for gamers was smaller in the N64 days than it is now, so they may actually outsell the N64 and end up with a lower market share than the Gamecube..it's possible.

The problem with the Gamecube was not the core, it was the complete lack of third party support. Even the Wii has a similar problem (aside from shovelware and cashins, there really wasn't many third party games comparable to the 360/Ps3 version).

The "core" is who buys the system day 1 and creates hype, which is why the Wii U is having a such a soft launch.. a lot of the Core has either moved on or was burned badly by the Wii.

Last edited by Orpheus: 12-11-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 04:27 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Continue: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9#post56459099

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Closed Thread