Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 02:07 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Kind of agree but those teams won major conferences and automatic bids therefore they had to be included. Plus, both those teams would roll over NIU. But yeah I'm not a fan of the Big East getting an automatic bid. That being said, any team that wins the Big East played a much tougher schedule than a non-major conference team did.

I guess if you don't want to see competitive bowls games then it would seem silly.

I don't get this attitude at all. Punishing teams because they actually played good teams instead of a bunch of pushovers is completely wrong imo. OU lost two games this year and they were to two top 5 teams. NIU loses to a garbage team and only beats 3 teams that even have a winning record yet they get in a BCS bowl. That makes no sense at all.

Nothing you said there changes the fact that they lost to the worst Iowa team I've ever seen. Iowa was just flat out bad this year and no BCS bowl team should've lost to that team whether it was the first game of the year or not.
But this is why the anti-NIU sentiment to me is silly -- they ARE an automatic qualifier. They weren't picked. They met all the standards needed for a team in that position to qualify for a BCS game and thus are in.
The formula picked NIU over Oklahoma. It wasn't a group of people sitting in a room wanting to screw Oklahoma and viewers.

As for the quality of the game -- we'll see. Maybe NIU does get poleaxed a'la Hawaii in its one BCS trip. Then again, few thought Boise State would beat Oklahoma and Utah would beat Alabama.
The little guy beating a big name program (especially one that may be feeling disappointed about their season) isn't an unheard of thing.

The three biggest reasons Oklahoma is out have nothing to do with NIU:
1. They lost twice (quality of opponent doesn't matter, once you start losing you lose control of your future).
2. The Big 10 sucked.
3. The Big East sucked.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Kind of agree but those teams won major conferences and automatic bids therefore they had to be included. Plus, both those teams would roll over NIU. But yeah I'm not a fan of the Big East getting an automatic bid. That being said, any team that wins the Big East played a much tougher schedule than a non-major conference team did.
Big East teams basically play a mid-major schedule, plus:

Kent State 35, Rutgers 23.
Toledo 29, Cincinnati 23.

Two Big East co-champs, beaten by MAC teams that didn't win the conference.

Quote:
I don't get this attitude at all. Punishing teams because they actually played good teams instead of a bunch of pushovers is completely wrong imo. OU lost two games this year and they were to two top 5 teams. NIU loses to a garbage team and only beats 3 teams that even have a winning record yet they get in a BCS bowl. That makes no sense at all.

Nothing you said there changes the fact that they lost to the worst Iowa team I've ever seen. Iowa was just flat out bad this year and no BCS bowl team should've lost to that team whether it was the first game of the year or not.
Louisville lost at home to an awful UConn team and got blown out by Syracuse.

By all means, keep coming up with imaginary reasons why the Big East is a major conference deserving of an automatic bid and NIU wasn't.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Old
12-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
I heard the first business opening there will be a tattoo parlor.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:09 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I heard the first business opening there will be a tattoo parlor.
Right bc people on that team had anything to do with that crap.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
12-11-2012, 05:45 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

He's a Michigan Man. Let him have his fun

ND to wear names on back of jerseys. Contrary to what the Twitterverse and concerned ****** citizens will tell you, names on jerseys have nothing to do with breaking the "team concept" or "tradition". Names on jerseys are a good thing and a necessity for identifying players properly.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:46 AM
The Last Baron*

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Right bc people on that team had anything to do with that crap.
You need to have a sense of humour about these these things.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:40 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
But this is why the anti-NIU sentiment to me is silly -- they ARE an automatic qualifier. They weren't picked. They met all the standards needed for a team in that position to qualify for a BCS game and thus are in.
The formula picked NIU over Oklahoma. It wasn't a group of people sitting in a room wanting to screw Oklahoma and viewers.

As for the quality of the game -- we'll see. Maybe NIU does get poleaxed a'la Hawaii in its one BCS trip. Then again, few thought Boise State would beat Oklahoma and Utah would beat Alabama.
The little guy beating a big name program (especially one that may be feeling disappointed about their season) isn't an unheard of thing.

The three biggest reasons Oklahoma is out have nothing to do with NIU:
1. They lost twice (quality of opponent doesn't matter, once you start losing you lose control of your future).
2. The Big 10 sucked.
3. The Big East sucked.
Fair enough. I guess I didn't fully understand the selection process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
By all means, keep coming up with imaginary reasons why the Big East is a major conference deserving of an automatic bid and NIU wasn't.
I actually said the Big East shouldn't get an automatic bid.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:20 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Baron View Post
Sugar and Orange Bowl reps alike are cheering at the sight of Kent State losing.

Can't blame them...a MAC team has no business in a BCS bowl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Baron View Post
NIU is actually a decent BCS buster unlike Kent State...that game will be better than the Sugar Bowl.
When did NIU move out of the MAC?

Last edited by Brad Tolliver: 12-14-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old
12-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

Old
12-14-2012, 01:37 PM
VLoo

I'd argue ND has a pretty good squad this year regardless.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:32 PM
The Last Baron*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
When did NIU move out of the MAC?
Still don't think they belong in a BCS bowl, but they aren't as bad as people make them out to be.

It's clear that you are just trying to start crap.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:58 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
Didn't Alabama get lucky that Oregon lost at home to Stanford and Kansas State lost to a mediocre Baylor team to put them back in the title game? Didn't they also get lucky that Ohio State wasn't eligible for a bowl which also would have knocked them out?

Old
12-14-2012, 08:24 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Didn't Alabama get lucky that Oregon lost at home to Stanford and Kansas State lost to a mediocre Baylor team to put them back in the title game? Didn't they also get lucky that Ohio State wasn't eligible for a bowl which also would have knocked them out?
lol.. alabama has more haters than any sports team in all of sports right now....

3 national championships in 4 years will do that, though i guess..

Old
12-14-2012, 08:32 PM
The Last Baron*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
lol.. alabama has more haters than any sports team in all of sports right now....

3 national championships matches in 4 years will do that, though i guess..
FTFY...they have only won 2 in the past 4 years right now.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:02 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:

Easy to have haters when their fans are as arrogant as their coach, which is no easy task.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Easy to have haters when their fans are as arrogant as their coach, which is no easy task.
Arrogant isnt the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Saban. A sad miserable little man who is never happy, you bet.

Also Bama isnt even close to the most hated sports team in the country, not even close .

Last edited by Justified: 12-14-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old
12-14-2012, 09:55 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

I actually don't mind Saban, you can tell he comes from the Belichick school of thought and I appreciate that. There's an air of cool competence about both of them.

And while I am no Bama fan, I bet Notre Dame is actually more hated even now.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:50 PM
VLoo

Quote:

I don't even know how this is considered "hate". It's a stupid shirt and 'Bama lost earlier in the year, so yeah, they got fortunate with other top teams falling for them to get back into the NC.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:01 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:

He's right. If Osu wasn't on a bowl ban this year the national championship game would be between osu and nd. So, yeah, the Tide are more lucky to be in this game than are the Irish.

I did find that shirt funny, tho.

Old
12-15-2012, 04:54 AM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
He's right. If Osu wasn't on a bowl ban this year the national championship game would be between osu and nd. So, yeah, the Tide are more lucky to be in this game than are the Irish.

I did find that shirt funny, tho.
If Pitt could kick a FG, ND wouldn't be in the NC, if Barkley didn't get killed, ND wouldn't be in the NC, if either of the Michigan teams knew how to play football, ND wouldn't be in the NC, if Purdue couldda had one more possesion, ND wouldn't be in the NC, if Stanford could kick a FG, ND wouldn't be in the NC, if BYU couldda got one more score, ND wouldn't be in the NC....

Bama lost one game to the ninth ranked team in the country by 4 points, to the Heisman winner, due to an offsides call....

But ya, the Irish are clearly the far superior team

Old
12-15-2012, 10:16 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Nobody said that, but luck can be defined as factors you can't control working out to your benefit. In that sense Bama was pretty lucky. ND won a lot of close games but it can probably argue that it had more direct influence on those victories than Bama had on Stanford beating Oregon or KSU collapsing vs. Baylor.

Bama is almost certainly the better team, but it still had to get lucky to back into the NC game.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:58 AM
VLoo

Quote:
If Pitt could kick a FG, ND wouldn't be in the NC, if Barkley didn't get killed, ND wouldn't be in the NC, if either of the Michigan teams knew how to play football, ND wouldn't be in the NC, if Purdue couldda had one more possesion, ND wouldn't be in the NC, if Stanford could kick a FG, ND wouldn't be in the NC, if BYU couldda got one more score, ND wouldn't be in the NC....

Bama lost one game to the ninth ranked team in the country by 4 points, to the Heisman winner, due to an offsides call....

This post is just absurd. Every season has moments like that for nearly every top team. If Georgia gained 5 more yards, 'Bama is a 2 loss team, if LSU could defend a screen pass, 'Bama isn't in the NC. If only the other teams could have... But they didn't. 'Bama could've beat A&M, but they didn't. That's great that they only lost to #9 team in the nation, ND lost to.... Absolutely nobody. You have to be good to be lucky, and lucky to be good. Is Alabama a better team? Probably. Does it even matter? Not at all. They're both in the NC and I don't know why luck is even being brought into it. They both got there and now it's time to play the game.

Old
12-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLoo View Post
This post is just absurd. Every season has moments like that for nearly every top team. If Georgia gained 5 more yards, 'Bama is a 2 loss team, if LSU could defend a screen pass, 'Bama isn't in the NC. If only the other teams could have... But they didn't. 'Bama could've beat A&M, but they didn't. That's great that they only lost to #9 team in the nation, ND lost to.... Absolutely nobody. You have to be good to be lucky, and lucky to be good. Is Alabama a better team? Probably. Does it even matter? Not at all. They're both in the NC and I don't know why luck is even being brought into it. They both got there and now it's time to play the game.
I was just illustrating the shirt in a funny/sarcastic way (hence the giant smiley at the bottom)

That's the point of the shirt I think. The Tide did get lucky cause of Stanford and Baylor, but ND's been getting lucky all year against teams they should've been blowing out and they didn't even have to play a game Championship week while we had to trot out and play the #3 team in the country.

Could you imagine if ND had to play Bama's schedule? They might not have even been Bowl Eligible

Old
12-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Could you imagine if ND had to play Bama's schedule? They might not have even been Bowl Eligible
I know you put the sarcasm smiley but truth be told Bama's regular season schedule was fairly crappy outside of A&M, LSU, and Michigan (who Notre Dame also beat). To be fair so was Oregon's (the other team with a "good loss"), whereas Kansas State had a tougher schedule but also a much worse loss than those two. So ultimately things probably worked out into the "correct" game.

Closed Thread