HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Bears Thread #13 - Bears fall to 8-6

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 04:08 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
I like Cowher but let's be honest, he isn't made for the new NFL. He always ran a run heavy offense. If we are going to make a change, let's do something different. I think it has to be a pass attack. I'm sick of Bears Defense and ground and pound, don't know about you guys but let it die with the Briggs / Urlacher / Tillman era. Invest the money on offense.

Last edited by coldsteelonice84: 12-10-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Illinihockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Nobody had a better overall record when he was coaching and those were some **** teams he had. Either way, he was not overrated.
He retired in 2006 and the Steelers have not missed a beat without him. Without a lot of help from the officials in Super Bowl 40, he basically has the same resume as Lovie over a 9 year period.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:15 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I like Cowher but let's be honest, he isn't made for the new NFL. He always ran a run heavy offense. If we are going to make a change, let's do something different. I think it has to be a pass attack.
It may have to do with the make up of the team. He only had Ben for 1 year and before that it was,

Kordall Stewart
Tommy Maddox
Niel O'Donnell
Mike Tomczak - LOL

That's some serious garbage right there. Even Jim Miller stopped by for a year.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:17 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
It may have to do with the make up of the team. He only had Ben for 1 year and before that it was,

Kordall Stewart
Tommy Maddox
Niel O'Donnell
Mike Tomczak - LOL

That's some serious garbage right there. Even Jim Miller stopped by for a year.
Right, I'm just saying, like Lovie, as a defensive minded coach, his main concerns are going to be turnovers and clock management. Those guys usually don't like to air it out.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:18 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Quote:
I like Cowher but let's be honest, he isn't made for the new NFL.
Maybe, maybe not, but the point remains a moot one as if Cowher was interested in coming back, he could almost assuredly get more out of another couple teams than he could from the Bears.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:18 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
He retired in 2006 and the Steelers have not missed a beat without him. Without a lot of help from the officials in Super Bowl 40, he basically has the same resume as Lovie over a 9 year period.
That doesn't matter. If you're talking about a change, you still look for the best possible option. Doesn't mean the Bears will because that's not their MO.

Back to BWC's point, Cowher is not overrated at all!

Old
12-10-2012, 04:19 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Right, I'm just saying, like Lovie, as a defensive minded coach, his main concerns are going to be turnovers and clock management. Those guys usually don't like to air it out.
I don't see that with either of them. Lovie has aired it quite a bit while he's been here, some would say too much at times.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:23 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
That doesn't matter. If you're talking about a change, you still look for the best possible option. Doesn't mean the Bears will because that's not their MO.
Still, don't you see too many similarities between him and Lovie? If we are going to change, why are we doing it? IMO, it is because there is a flaw in the formula. Where is that flaw? It's on offense, obviously. For whatever reason, Lovie's teams and the OC's he chooses cannot figure out how to keep up with other teams in the league on offense. Where are our best young stars? Clearly, it is offense, with Cutler, Marshall and Forte. That's why I'd like a guy like Payton. On the flip side, I'd like to keep Marinelli or bring in someone with the same history of success on defense to handle that side of the ball. We just have to continue what is already there on defense. On offense, tons of work to be done.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:27 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Still, don't you see too many similarities between him and Lovie? If we are going to change, why are we doing it? IMO, it is because there is a flaw in the formula. Where is that flaw? It's on offense, obviously. For whatever reason, Lovie's teams and the OC's he chooses cannot figure out how to keep up with other teams in the league on offense. Where are our best young stars? Clearly, it is offense, with Cutler, Marshall and Forte. That's why I'd like a guy like Payton. On the flip side, I'd like to keep Marinelli or bring in someone with the same history of success on defense to handle that side of the ball. We just have to continue what is already there on defense. On offense, tons of work to be done.
Doesn't matter who you get if they don't have the tools on offense to work with. You think Payton is going to be able to run 5 wide formations all day with this offensive line and no TE? Add to that 1 good WR. Cutler would get destroyed. You also don't have 8 home games per year in a dome.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:28 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
I don't see that with either of them. Lovie has aired it quite a bit while he's been here, some would say too much at times.
I strongly disagree. Yeah, we pass now that Culter is here but mostly conservative. You could point to the O-line but even late in games, any game, hey, use yesterday, the Bears would not throw the damn ball down field even if it meant wasting the rest of the time they had to get there in small increments. We've always played it safe on offense with Lovie.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Doesn't matter who you get if they don't have the tools on offense to work with. You think Payton is going to be able to run 5 wide formations all day with this offensive line and no TE? Add to that 1 good WR. Cutler would get destroyed.
Part of what a good coach does, is help the GM with talent evaluation and letting him know what they want/need. Lovie has had a ton of weight in the draft room the past several years and it hasn't been great. One would hope Payton could do a better job.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:30 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Doesn't matter who you get if they don't have the tools on offense to work with. You think Payton is going to be able to run 5 wide formations all day with this offensive line and no TE? Add to that 1 good WR. Cutler would get destroyed. You also don't have 8 home games per year in a dome.
The personel would have to change, no question about it. It would have to be somewhat of a rebuilding project to make those kinds of changes but I think it is time.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:31 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Part of what a good coach does, is help the GM with talent evaluation and letting him know what they want/need. Lovie has had a ton of weight in the draft room the past several years and it hasn't been great. One would hope Payton could do a better job.
Pretty much anyone can do a better job. I really don't think Lovie been allowed to influence the draft like some believe. He can state what his needs are but he's not scouting specific guys.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:32 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
The personel would have to change, no question about it. It would have to be somewhat of a rebuilding project to make those kinds of changes but I think it is time.
You don't need to build the Bears in to NO, you need better drafting and personal decisions. Getting rid of Olsen was a bad idea. Too many players not contributing from recent drafts.

The two best offensive players on the team are via trade. They need some cheaper guys contributing.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Pretty much anyone can do a better job. I really don't think Lovie been allowed to influence the draft like some believe. He can state what his needs are but he's not scouting specific guys.
Thats not what a lot of on air radio hosts in Chicago think.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:36 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
You don't need to build the Bears in to NO, you need better drafting and personal decisions. Getting rid of Olsen was a bad idea. Too many players not contributing from recent drafts.

The two best offensive players on the team are via trade. They need some cheaper guys contributing.
Agreed. They do need to do better in the draft and they have spent most of their quality picks on defense over the years. When they have went with offense, it usually doesn't end well. Forte and Olsen were good picks, that's it.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:

This is a fact, too many drafting mistakes by Angelo. He should have been gone a long time ago. I still face palm thinking about trading a second round pick for Gaines Adams (even if he didn't die), Garret Wolfe in the 3rd round, Dan Bauzine in the 2nd....Chris Williams and his bad back at 14. Ugh.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:37 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Thats not what a lot of on air radio hosts in Chicago think.
Lol, Chicago radio hosts think a lot of things. They need to fill up many hours of the day with debates.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:38 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Agreed. They do need to do better in the draft and they have spent most of their quality picks on defense over the years. When they have went with offense, it usually doesn't end well. Forte and Olsen were good picks, that's it.
Olsen isn't even a top 10 tight end...

Old
12-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Lol, Chicago radio hosts think a lot of things. They need to fill up many hours of the day with debates.
A lot of those cover, or have covered the teams they talk about. They have a lot of front office connections. So either they have people lying to them or they know what they are talking about. I know which side of the argument I tend to believe. Lovie has more juice than anyone around there. Its why he hasn't been fired despite some lack luster results on the field and in the draft the past several years.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I think it will be close either way, but the more pessimistic fans (of the Bears) might disagree with me.

Should be a good one. Feels a bit weird that it's a 12:00 game.
It shouldn't. This will be my third year out of four going to Bears/Packers at Soldier Field (went up to Lambeau last year on Christmas), and all those but the MNF game were at noon. It was at noon last year. In 2007 it was at noon, but it was on MNF in 2008. It seems like they almost alternate it between day and night, but this is the second year in a row it's at noon.

The better question is that if it isn't on MNF or SNF, why not at 3:15?

Old
12-10-2012, 04:42 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
This is a fact, too many drafting mistakes by Angelo. He should have been gone a long time ago. I still face palm thinking about trading a second round pick for Gaines Adams (even if he didn't die), Garret Wolfe in the 3rd round, Dan Bauzine in the 2nd....Chris Williams and his bad back at 14. Ugh.
Then I see the Giants & Tampa Bay with two absolute steals in Wilson and Martin.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:43 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Olsen isn't even a top 10 tight end...
Where do the Bears TE's fit in? I don't know what criteria you're using but Olsen is 8th in terms of fantasy points in my league.

He's got 691 yards and 5 TD's. That's Hester, Jeffrey and Bennet combined just about. Yeah, we could use him.

Last edited by HawksFan74: 12-10-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 04:51 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Where do the Bears TE's fit in? I don't know what criteria you're using but Olsen is 8th in terms of fantasy points in me league.

He's got 691 yards and 5 TD's.
With Hernandez, Gronk, and Graham out a lot of the season. That doesn't even include his lack of blocking ability and general softness

If you pick a TE in the first round, you'd expect him to be one of the better TE's in the league and a mainstay on your team. Olsen didn't give 1st round value.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:58 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
With Hernandez, Gronk, and Graham out a lot of the season. That doesn't even include his lack of blocking ability and general softness

If you pick a TE in the first round, you'd expect him to be one of the better TE's in the league and a mainstay on your team. Olsen didn't give 1st round value.
He's top 10 in the league, all of those guys have performed better than him this year. I don't know what else you would expect. Some of it has to do with the team they're on. You have the offensive power houses of N.E. and NO. Bears have never been that.

Closed Thread