HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015 Draft)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-09-2012, 09:34 PM
  #101
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
Then Giants won't get him. Barzal is a once in a decade type prospect... Seattle wont give him up cheap at all if they do trade him. They will make a team pay huge for him and someone will pay huge
Barzal isn't nearly as hyped as Nathan Mackinnon was.

He was traded for 3-1sts and two decent QMJHLers.

The 1st round picks weren't the best picks Halifax had either, nor we're they the most recent.

Barzal will likely get moved after the 2013 bantam draft.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:01 PM
  #102
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,588
vCash: 500
Barzal will wind up with Portland.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:01 PM
  #103
Skinnyjimmy08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,392
vCash: 500
I have a feeling this will get Barzal thinking to sign a damn WHL contract soon.... It was Barzal vs McDavid at that mentorship cup thing that was on TSN, and they both looked unreal.... McDavid went to a garbage Erie team and is lighting it up and is now going to start making all that money!!!....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411371

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:21 PM
  #104
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
I have a feeling this will get Barzal thinking to sign a damn WHL contract soon.... It was Barzal vs McDavid at that mentorship cup thing that was on TSN, and they both looked unreal.... McDavid went to a garbage Erie team and is lighting it up and is now going to start making all that money!!!....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411371
Different animal. If Brazal was playing in the Dub as a 15 year old, and having similar success, sure. Not the case though. Somewhere down the line, perhaps, but what makes McDavid so appealing right now from a marketing perspective is the fact he's doing this as a 15 year old.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:26 PM
  #105
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,435
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Different animal. If Brazal was playing in the Dub as a 15 year old, and having similar success, sure. Not the case though. Somewhere down the line, perhaps, but what makes McDavid so appealing right now from a marketing perspective is the fact he's doing this as a 15 year old.
In Ontario.

Big difference.

Nobody in the GTA knows who Barzal is.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:31 PM
  #106
Skinnyjimmy08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
In Ontario.

Big difference.

Nobody in the GTA knows who Barzal is
.
Understandable.... Im sure the only way people in Ontario would know who Barzal was is if WHL did the exceptional player thing too... Cuz most in BC wouldnt know who McDavid was if that rule wasn't in place and he was playing midget too

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:37 PM
  #107
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
Understandable.... Im sure the only way people in Ontario would know who Barzal was is if WHL did the exceptional player thing too... Cuz most in BC wouldnt know who McDavid was if that rule wasn't in place and he was playing midget too
Exactly my point. Has everything to do with his exceptional status.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:27 PM
  #108
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,435
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
Understandable.... Im sure the only way people in Ontario would know who Barzal was is if WHL did the exceptional player thing too... Cuz most in BC wouldnt know who McDavid was if that rule wasn't in place and he was playing midget too
I was thinking more along the lines of McDavid being from Toronto, and playing his minor hockey there, and getting all the press/exposure that comes with playing in and being from the center of the universe.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:27 PM
  #109
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of McDavid being from Toronto, and playing his minor hockey there, and getting all the press/exposure that comes with playing in and being from the center of the universe.
To be fair, nobody outside of those that follow the GTHL/AAA hockey in Ontario knew who McDavid was until last season. I don't think the Toronto factor plays that big a role. Just look at Tyler Benson. People are starting to take notice of him around the same time.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:17 PM
  #110
Skinnyjimmy08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,392
vCash: 500
Barzal had 12 points in past 2 games this weekend... 8 points in Saturday game and 4 points in Sunday game to bring his point total 66 points in 21 games in the highest level of midget in BC (BC Major Midget League) The kid is unreal. I really hope he signs in Seattle (WHL needs this guy, not NCAA!!!!!) On pace for over 120 points or so and would be record point total and shattering Nugent-Hopkins total points when he was that age(15 years old)... wow

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 08:30 PM
  #111
bigbadbruins7
Registered User
 
bigbadbruins7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
Barzal had 12 points in past 2 games this weekend... 8 points in Saturday game and 4 points in Sunday game to bring his point total 66 points in 21 games in the highest level of midget in BC (BC Major Midget League) The kid is unreal. I really hope he signs in Seattle (WHL needs this guy, not NCAA!!!!!) On pace for over 120 points or so and would be record point total and shattering Nugent-Hopkins total points when he was that age(15 years old)... wow
do you know if he is leaning towards the WHL or the NCAA right now? if the NCAA is he leaning towards any school inparticular?

bigbadbruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:49 PM
  #112
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins7 View Post
do you know if he is leaning towards the WHL or the NCAA right now? if the NCAA is he leaning towards any school inparticular?
He's on record saying he wants to be in the dub.

I just don't think he's wants to go to Seattle.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:28 PM
  #113
bigbadbruins7
Registered User
 
bigbadbruins7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
He's on record saying he wants to be in the dub.

I just don't think he's wants to go to Seattle.
thanks for answering my question once again

bigbadbruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:49 PM
  #114
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins7 View Post
do you know if he is leaning towards the WHL or the NCAA right now? if the NCAA is he leaning towards any school inparticular?
It sounds as if he wants to play in the WHL, but not for Seattle.

He's also been interested in the NCAA route since before the Bantam Draft and I've seen rumors of him having strong interest in Boston College.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:19 PM
  #115
bigbadbruins7
Registered User
 
bigbadbruins7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
It sounds as if he wants to play in the WHL, but not for Seattle.

He's also been interested in the NCAA route since before the Bantam Draft and I've seen rumors of him having strong interest in Boston College.
that would be awesome. huge BC hockey fan right here.

bigbadbruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 04:08 AM
  #116
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,326
vCash: 500
Unless he can fast track his education like Toews did and get in the NCAA at 17 in 2014 I just can't see him waiting two more years (and presumably playing in the BCHL) until 2015 without switching to the WHL. Sounds like he could very much be the real deal. I'd put the percentage pretty high he's in the WHL next year, whether it's with Seattle who knows. Harkins has already played a WHL game, too bad Seattle owns his rights right now or we could be seeing Barzal getting WHL games shortly.


Last edited by bruinsfan46: 12-23-2012 at 05:45 PM.
bruinsfan46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 08:34 AM
  #117
UvBnDatsyuked
Registered User
 
UvBnDatsyuked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Unless he can fast track his education like Toews did and get in the NCAA at 17 in 2014 I just can't see him waiting two more years (and presumably playing in the BCHL) until 2015 without switching to the WHL. Sounds like he could very much be the real deal. I'd put the percentage pretty high he's in the WHL next year, whether it's with Seattle who knows. Harkins has already played an NCAA game, too bad Seattle owns his rights right now or we could be seeing Barzal getting WHL games shortly.
(I think you meant WHL games)

Agree. Barzal is too good to play the next couple years in the BCHL. I would love to see how he does in a few WHL games this year but doesn't appear that is going to happen.

Does anyone know how Harkins looked in his PG game?

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 10:15 AM
  #118
Skinnyjimmy08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UvBnDatsyuked View Post
(I think you meant WHL games)

Agree. Barzal is too good to play the next couple years in the BCHL. I would love to see how he does in a few WHL games this year but doesn't appear that is going to happen.

Does anyone know how Harkins looked in his PG game?
He looked young and somewhat out of place due to his age and lack of WHL experience obviously... didnt really do too much... still soooo young and will be good. PG's other first rounder in that year has played a few games now(Brad Morrisson 6th or 7th overall) and he has looked good. Nice to see these highly skilled, and highly touted players committ to their WHL teams even though their WHL teams are pretty bad. Good players make their teams better and it shows alot of character with the kids(hopefully you are reading this Barzal and sign with Seattle!!!!...You will be the poster boy of the WHL!!!haha)

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:19 PM
  #119
Passchendaele
Registered User
 
Passchendaele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Laval, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,475
vCash: 500
Wow, 66 points in 21 games.

Leading the BCMML by a 21-point margin and missed three games.

In comparison, RNH had 87 points in 36 games at the same age.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 09:50 PM
  #120
HabLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sandspit
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Murda View Post
If this kid is coming down to the Mac's tournament this year, then I am really looking forward to seeing what he's got. Those numbers are huge for major midget.
No Mac's for Barzal, the Chiefs were not invited.

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 10:29 PM
  #121
Morlesio14*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The 416
Country: North Korea
Posts: 776
vCash: 500
Someone told me Barzal played centre. is tht correct? What type of forward is he? Playmaker? Sniper? i know he's not a two way forward

Morlesio14* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 05:41 PM
  #122
UvBnDatsyuked
Registered User
 
UvBnDatsyuked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
Someone told me Barzal played centre. is tht correct? What type of forward is he? Playmaker? Sniper? i know he's not a two way forward
Here are two video's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPT_v...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j6Zmfyns8w

Seems to be a goal scorer and playmaker.

Curious why you know he isn't a two way forward? Can someone not be high caliber at both ends? 5:30 of the Sno Kings game is a good indication of what he does with the back check and taking the open man.

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:18 AM
  #123
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,114
vCash: 500
Found this tidbit today:
Quote:
However, Prince George fans that think they can get Mathew Barzal, the No. 1 pick in the 2012 bantam draft, from Seattle for Forsberg can keep on dreaming.

Sources close to the situation are adamant it is just a matter of time before Barzal inks a deal with the Thunderbirds. They also noted Seattle’s 2011 first-round pick, Ryan Gropp, could quite likely follow suit after Barzal.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhock...031417584.html

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:28 AM
  #124
Skinnyjimmy08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Seattle organization would do a complete 180 if Barzal and Gropp both signed. They would be real high NHL picks in 2015 if they played together (Gropp a year older but has a late bday)

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:03 PM
  #125
Skinnyjimmy08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,392
vCash: 500
10 more points in 2 games this past weekend in BC Major Midget League... 80 points(22 goals 58 assists) in 25 games so far this season.... un #*$@ ing believable... He has always been compared to Nugent-Hopkins. Just to compare and just for fun, at the same age in the same league, RNH played in 36 games and finished with 40 goals and 47 assists for 87 points. Barzal is on pace to shatter that point total. Barzal is Seattle T-Bird property and Seattle is currently on a 14 game losing streak. How desperately does Seattle need this guy!!???hahah... he will be the golden boy of Seattle until he plays NHL!!!

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.