HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2012, 02:22 PM
rinkrat22

vCash: 500
one thing I learned playing slo-pitch softball, and I think it applies to playing adult hockey as well. At least it has for my 20 years of adult hockey. if you want to always have fun and play with your buddies you have to stay at lower levels. Different people have different priorities and will have different levels of commitment to their own games and preperation to playing. when you get to those upper levels, the fun is in competing, and hopefully winning. so everyone should have a similar level of committment to playing.
But that is just my $.02

Old
12-02-2012, 02:30 PM
do0glas

Don't turn on the burners in the offensive zone and then look lead legged when the puck goes the other way.

Secondly, maybe it's just my team but they assume we will win every puck battle and start skating up the ice, only for it to go the opposite way, it strikes me as lazy for some reason.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:31 PM
stamkosisboss

I play hockey in a University intramural league, and I really love my team, but last game my one teammate was being so brutal. He is a defense and on the point he got the puck, he then just stood there not moving at all with the puck and then after a couple seconds winds up slowly for a slapshot, of course the puck gets picked away from him and they are off down the ice on a 2-0. I sprint down the ice and manage to catch up to the puck handler who I know has a tendanciy to be a puck hog. I tie him up but he manages a pass to his winger who gets a weak shot on net. After that my goalie palys it too me and I pass it up the ice to this same defenseman (who is now the last one back into our zone) and he tries to toe drag around a guy and gets stood up. Puck comes back down and they get another good chance at a goal.
Afterwards he comes up to me on the bench and starts to lecture me about what I should have done diffrently on my desperate sprint back to stop a 2 on 0 that he caused

Old
12-03-2012, 08:25 PM
SCritical

NO officials showed up for our house games on Sunday. There were two games, so that means two refs and two linesman did a no-show - and they still got paid, apparently! One of them even tried to blame the vice president for not calling him on game day as usual but they all get a schedule so that's no excuse.

So one of the guys on our team was a certified ref had to don the stripes and officiate when he should have been playing. He certainly didn't get paid for that.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:25 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Haven't played hockey in two full months and counting. This really sucks.

Old
12-04-2012, 03:39 AM
nullterm

My Sherwood 5030 composite has finally bit the dust after being a tank over the last 3-4 years. The toe cracked on Friday and I tried patching it up with epoxy but the epoxy broke up. So long old friend. Time to pick up a replacement.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:18 AM
TUCKER 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
My Sherwood 5030 composite has finally bit the dust after being a tank over the last 3-4 years. The toe cracked on Friday and I tried patching it up with epoxy but the epoxy broke up. So long old friend. Time to pick up a replacement.
I wish I could get my sticks to last more than a year.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:38 AM
MikeModano9

In beer leagues tonight at the end of the game a guy on the other team zipped a wrister at our bench as hard as he could. Hit the glass in between the benches missed our bench by a foot. The ref just called the game after that. Just ridiculous.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:57 AM
SaintAnton

vCash: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeModano9 View Post
In beer leagues tonight at the end of the game a guy on the other team zipped a wrister at our bench as hard as he could. Hit the glass in between the benches missed our bench by a foot. The ref just called the game after that. Just ridiculous.
gross misconduct?

Old
12-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

In my league that'd be a game misconduct, auto 1-game suspension.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Frankie Spankie

I'm sick of the babies that take the game so seriously and whine about every missed call for their side and then whine for every penalty they deserved. I just played today and some moron threw his stick at a guy on a breakaway. I thought it was an automatic penalty shot but apparently it was just a two minute penalty. The guy went straight to the bench and kept acting like a baby and didn't want to go to the penalty box. Once the ref turned around to skate to the faceoff circle, he flips the ref off. Big man hiding behind 8 of his teammates on the bench, flipping off a ref with his back turned over an incredibly blatant penalty in men's league...

Old
12-05-2012, 08:53 AM
29Potvins

During an 11pm University intramural game, some guy on the other team decided to whine about an offside call to the ref.. ended up getting himself a penalty

Some people just don't get that intramural refs don't give a **** about what you think about his call.. especially at 11pm on a weeknight.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:25 AM
MikeModano9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAnton View Post
gross misconduct?
I'm not sure what they gave him it was with like 30 seconds left in the game and blatenly obvious what he was tryin to do. But the ref didn't want stuff to get out of hand so he called the game eight after he did it. Our team all
Stood at center and beaked him. He wouldn't even shake our hands.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Danglous

Injuries

Old
12-10-2012, 02:02 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
Been moving up divisions slowly with my beer league team and we're at a point now where we need to bring our a game to win. It's been much more fun knowing that each night is going to be close no matter how well you play (but if we play poorly we get shelled ).

One of the guys who plays with us really can't stick at the level... He's been subbing for parts of previous seasons and even then he really couldn't keep up; however, now that the team needs to be going 100% to win it's gotten much more frustrating.

The other side to it is he isn't hustling or working hard each shift he's skating with his head down, dragging his feet, taking LONG shifts (this really irks me), and just looks dis-interested (I don't know maybe he is). It's getting to a point where our captain is yelling at him from the bench trying to give him instruction and just getting increasingly frustrated.

Right now I'm trying to look for any little things he's doing right and point them out "hey great job moving the puck out of our zone" / "way to slow them down with a poke check". He's not the most socially involved with the locker room so I'm not sure anyone would be crushed to see him go; but at the same time he's a good guy and I can't name anyone who dislikes him.

So does there come a point when you tell a guy maybe this isn't a good fit; or is that always a jerk move in beer-leagues (cause having a good time comes first).
You sound like a kind individual to look after your teammate and imagine what's best for him.

Your question is a good one. I think it would be fair to inquire (privately) into how he's feeling and if he does still want to play, or at that level. Could be he does want to quit/drop down and talking about it might create the space to reflect and be honest with himself. I'm guessing he would choose to stay and is a bit of a funny individual.

I don't have the heart to break the news to someone they're not good enough to hang. I'd rather let them figure it out themselves and instead give them affirmations of the positive they are doing, like you said.

This season we've had 2 (now may be 3) weaker skaters join the team, but you know what? They are so frickin pumped to play I can see it on their face and they go hard! To me that's what it's all about. On the other hand our goalie (who is a friend) has had a few rough games and says he's questioning playing 2nd half. He doesn't go to s&p anymore or get as excited about equipment/playing, or ice hockey in general. I hope he stays with it but if he needs to take a break to rekindle his fire so be it.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:46 PM
SaintAnton

vCash: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
You sound like a kind individual to look after your teammate and imagine what's best for him.

Your question is a good one. I think it would be fair to inquire (privately) into how he's feeling and if he does still want to play, or at that level. Could be he does want to quit/drop down and talking about it might create the space to reflect and be honest with himself. I'm guessing he would choose to stay and is a bit of a funny individual.

I don't have the heart to break the news to someone they're not good enough to hang. I'd rather let them figure it out themselves and instead give them affirmations of the positive they are doing, like you said.

This season we've had 2 (now may be 3) weaker skaters join the team, but you know what? They are so frickin pumped to play I can see it on their face and they go hard! To me that's what it's all about. On the other hand our goalie (who is a friend) has had a few rough games and says he's questioning playing 2nd half. He doesn't go to s&p anymore or get as excited about equipment/playing, or ice hockey in general. I hope he stays with it but if he needs to take a break to rekindle his fire so be it.
Agreed with the bolded when these guys come off each shift beaming and immediately start talking about what they saw/ what went right/ what went wrong/ what they are excited to try next shift it brings the whole bench up.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:36 PM
stamkosisboss

Quote:
Agreed with the bolded when these guys come off each shift beaming and immediately start talking about what they saw/ what went right/ what went wrong/ what they are excited to try next shift it brings the whole bench up.
Im really happy to see people saying this, sometimes it gets lost. People are so focused on winning and scoring lots of goals. I have a really good friend who plays with me, he isnt the best player in terms of natural skill but he works hard everyshift and when he does score goals or make a good play you can see how happy he gets. Meanwhile theres another kid who skates with us who cherry picks at the blue line and freaks out if he doesnt get a pass or score.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:34 AM
gosinger

I'm so happy to play on a team with a similar attitude; my current line just joined the team, with little to no previous league-experience. Now after 6 games the three of us are still cold (without a single scorer-point), but we skated hard on each shift and only had 1 goal scored against us (9:14 overall goal score). The more seasoned vets on our team encourage us, they accept that it will take a season or more for our line to find together, and in return we show up for every practice, every game and give it our best which motivates them.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:31 AM
polysaturate

Quote:
Originally Posted by langcam View Post
Beer league goons. Seriously, how pathetic..
Amazing, how much this comes up. I knew this goon fromt he first time we played their team. Leveled a guy who played defense...maybe 2 times this season into the boards.(both me and defense guy on our team are first years).

Anyway, we're up by 5 goals or so, and just kind of passing the puck back and forth to run the clock, and I was playing low...not "in front" of the goal, but generally just skating around to get open. I got elbowed once, probably the hardest I have ever been hit in the head, ever. Then, cross checked in the back not, once, but twice.

Like ****...I understand being frustrated when loosing...hell, my team started the season 0-6...including when they beat us the first time 8-3. These guys are just *******s and have been known to try and knock people down.

So...instead of retaliating to the hit, he got a penalty, and on the last shift of the night I just sat behind their net and and kept dishing to center.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I played one of the better games I have played to recent date. We were down 3-2 with 3 mins left and I found myself joining a rush (playing D) and parking myself right where a rebound should pop out at just outside the top of the crease and yell for an on net shot. The rebound pops out and even though I was slightly handcuffed (right shot, puck kicks out into skates) I lunge forward trying to get enough on the bouncing puck and everyone including myself thinks I have the game-tying goal. Instead, the goalie makes a circle save and I attempt to pot the rebound of that save from my belly. I get enough on that and it hits the post and goes back into the goalie still sprawled out. We lose the game 4-2 and my stick gets tomahawked into pieces during a scrum of sorts with 8 seconds left.

It will be a long couple of weeks until the next season starts.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:40 PM
OpenIceHit42

This happened at one of the local rinks here in STL in nothing more than a beer league

http://fox2now.com/2012/12/10/man-ch...n-hockey-game/

Old
12-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Cotton McKnight
BLUESBLUESBLUESBLUES

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
This happened at one of the local rinks here in STL in nothing more than a beer league

http://fox2now.com/2012/12/10/man-ch...n-hockey-game/

Not the kind of news that Brentwood needs.........Or hockey for that matter.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:15 AM
ironranger

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Potvins View Post
During an 11pm University intramural game, some guy on the other team decided to whine about an offside call to the ref.. ended up getting himself a penalty

Some people just don't get that intramural refs don't give a **** about what you think about his call.. especially at 11pm on a weeknight.
Some of the refs for the intramural games at my university can barely skate and have to use the boards to stay standing. Most of them don't know the rules either but if not for them we couldn't play, so I guess I can't really complain because I would rather play than ref, and it can be very comical sitting on the bench watching the refs fall all over the place.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:17 AM
drivesrf

My biggest frustration is I can not find a team to join! I sent multiple e-mails to league directors to no avail! Thought I had a team but the league fell through!!

Old
12-12-2012, 09:08 AM
29Potvins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironranger View Post
Some of the refs for the intramural games at my university can barely skate and have to use the boards to stay standing. Most of them don't know the rules either but if not for them we couldn't play, so I guess I can't really complain because I would rather play than ref, and it can be very comical sitting on the bench watching the refs fall all over the place.
Agreed. The refs we have are pretty great, and I always appreciate them coming out to officiate. They're not paid a whole lot, but as you say, without them we go home.

I can't imagine what it's like to play a game reffed by someone holding onto the boards to stay upright though haha

Also, I should say that it's fine to ask about a penalty call, but it's just not worth it on an offside call. Once the offside call's made, there's nothing the refs can do (which is what I found so ridiculous about the other team's complaint).

Closed Thread