HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL thread: Esks in camp

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 04:09 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
A shot at Tillman?
that is my guess

Old
12-10-2012, 04:21 PM
MoneyGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
A shot at Tillman?
Absolutely.

With Hervey as GM, you can pretty much count on Reed returning as head coach. If that happens, Joseph will be back. Reed loves Joe. I doubt he'll be the starter but who knows. The starter may be a guy who didn't end the season on the Esks' roster.

I'm happy with Hervey. Better than Reed and a GM the players will like. I'm not sure he's quite ready but he's the popular choice and he should grow into the job.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
You know I'd be ok with Joseph back if we had a different head coach. If Reed didn't love the guy as much as he does, Joseph wouldn't be a half bad 3rd/4th option at QB. The problem is if Joseph is back, even if we somehow bring in Reilly and bring back Nichols, I have no faith that they'll both be given a fair shot to become this teams starter. Instead I expect Joseph to come back at the slightest hint of falter from either of those two guys.

I'm happy with the Hervey hiring. If he's as astute as it's been said around the web and in articles, then he's the right choice for the job. Lets see him bring back some of our important defensive guys and sort some of our issues out.

12-10-2012, 04:59 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
You know I'd be ok with Joseph back if we had a different head coach. If Reed didn't love the guy as much as he does, Joseph wouldn't be a half bad 3rd/4th option at QB. The problem is if Joseph is back, even if we somehow bring in Reilly and bring back Nichols, I have no faith that they'll both be given a fair shot to become this teams starter. Instead I expect Joseph to come back at the slightest hint of falter from either of those two guys.

I'm happy with the Hervey hiring. If he's as astute as it's been said around the web and in articles, then he's the right choice for the job. Lets see him bring back some of our important defensive guys and sort some of our issues out.

Reed thinks Joseph is the answer, fine, but we lose 4 games and you are continuing to use Joseph then you both are gone.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I just saw some of Hervey's comments on Sportscentre. Yeah... he was talking about Tillman and he didn't mince words. Based on his comments he knows that the team needs a massive upgrade at QB and he's going to push hard to find a suitable replacement for Ray. He was against the trade last year and he and Tillman didn't see eye to eye on a number of issues.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:32 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
I just saw some of Hervey's comments on Sportscentre. Yeah... he was talking about Tillman and he didn't mince words. Based on his comments he knows that the team needs a massive upgrade at QB and he's going to push hard to find a suitable replacement for Ray. He was against the trade last year and he and Tillman didn't see eye to eye on a number of issues.
I expect Hervey to make an offer for the rights to Reilly. Lower-round draft choice.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I don't think that Reilly is as good as advertised (the Eskimos were beyond awful in that game and handed him everything) but it's a start.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Rashad Jeanty commented on the Hervey hiring.

Quote:
Rashad Jeanty ‏@rashadjeanty
@cfl_esks will be a contender for years to come. Why? It starts from the top
I guess that he wasn't a Tillman fan either.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
A shot at Tillman?
No doubt. And none too subtle either.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:48 PM
bellagiobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I expect Hervey to make an offer for the rights to Reilly. Lower-round draft choice.
Isn't he a FA come Feb? Why wouldn't we wait till then, make him an offer, and not waste any assets?

Old
12-10-2012, 07:53 PM
bellagiobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
A total joke that Rick Lelachuer was in on this at all. Awful.
A total joke that Kavis Reed was even mentioned as a possibility. Awful

Hervey was the right choice but what he doees going forward re the coaching is going to determine if he is a good gm or not in the end. I'm resigned to the fact Reed is here next year but he better improve a hell of a lot.
Didn't he hire our last two failed GM's? And yet he was brought back again for his input. Is that Rhodes call or the BOD? Really have to question the judgment there.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:29 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagiobob View Post
Isn't he a FA come Feb? Why wouldn't we wait till then, make him an offer, and not waste any assets?
Yes, he's a FA Feb. 15. You might trade for his rights so you can bring him in, tour him around the stadium and fieldhouse and make your pitch. You hope to sign him before anyone else can talk to him.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:57 PM
bellagiobob

Quote:
Yes, he's a FA Feb. 15. You might trade for his rights so you can bring him in, tour him around the stadium and fieldhouse and make your pitch. You hope to sign him before anyone else can talk to him.
I understand that, but we only have picks in 4 of the 6 draft rounds as it is, not crazy about only having 3 picks. Reilly knows where the opportunities are for him to be a starter. I would think he would take his time and explore his options before re-signing with BC.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:07 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
If he has any kind of agent he will already know everything about the stadium and fieldhouse well before he becomes a FA. He would also know that about half the teams in the league are looking for a 1A or 1B QB, and that BC is probably the team he would be least likely to get playing time with as long as Lulay is there.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Kyle McMahon

If Joseph is on the field come July 1st, I've lost all faith in this organization. There's not really much left as it stands, but that would be the last straw. Reed being retained in any capacity is discouraging, but at least it's easier to fire him as coach than as GM.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Tyrolean

Reilly will go to either Winnipeg or Edmonton. Both have an equal chance at him IMO. I hope we don't end up with McPherson by default.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:48 AM
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
It would be refreshing if Rhodes fired himself for sheer incompetence.

He totally approved the Ray trade which gave marginal return. He was fine with the trade, supported it, then alludes to some actions during the year that he and others in the org were not pleased or comfortable with, yet continued to allow Tillman, who wasn't even around, to have full licence on team transactions and without even a requirement to OK it with his supervisors. Rhodes waited until our number one draft was traded for hockey pucks, waited while a dozen players without contracts ended the season without extensions, renewals or new contracts, then finally canned Tilman when he could do no more damage this season and which only served to be a distraction at the worst time and effectively only served to make the players answer to nobody at the time of the playoffs.

Sheer genius at work.
Good post, anybody that's been watching what has been happening very closely knows that Len Rhodes is to blame as much as Tillman.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:31 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Isn't Reilly and Mcpherson looking for a shot at being a starter? How many teams can offer them that shot?

Old
12-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Halibut

Not sure I like the rather inexperienced Hervey as GM with the still fairly inexperienced Reed as head coach. We sure get a lot of rah-rah go team attitude out of them but I'm not sure we're doing what's best to build a contender. I guess we'll see what happens and it cant be worse than what we've had for the past 7 or 8 years.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:02 AM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Not sure I like the rather inexperienced Hervey as GM with the still fairly inexperienced Reed as head coach. We sure get a lot of rah-rah go team attitude out of them but I'm not sure we're doing what's best to build a contender. I guess we'll see what happens and it cant be worse than what we've had for the past 7 or 8 years.
Hervey's reportedly a great assessor of talent. Add to this, his enthusiasm.

Now... admittedly, enthusiasm alone ain't all it's cracked up to be - Danny Maciocia, in point. But if Hervey has the football accumen he's being credited with, we're off to a good start.

And a key factor attributable to the Dynasty Years was a team-focused approach to operations, not a me-first one. From my living room, I can't speak to Tillman's ego as several references already state. But permitting a GM to live in a different city is ludicrous. That alone infers that Tillman had an agenda that didn't have the Eskimos as it's central feature.

Hervey can't be expected to turn the franchise around over night. But if his football IQ, energy, and commitment to the city and team are any indication, we're headed in the right direction. It would appear that he's elicited excitement from players, and generating optimism and energy in them is obviously key.

Not to mention how easy it is to change the fortunes of a team relative to the 7 others that share the league.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagiobob View Post
Didn't he hire our last two failed GM's? And yet he was brought back again for his input. Is that Rhodes call or the BOD? Really have to question the judgment there.

RLL may be one hell of a businessman, a former Oil King, a wonderful activist in the city and a heck of a nice guy, but his track record at hiring football minds to run our team has been abysmal to say the least. To hear that he still is being invited to offer opinions on new hirings is disconcerting at best. Saying that, I like and approve of the latest hiring of Hervey as our GM, but I hope to hell RLL's intervention stops here and now. He is like a bad voodoo doll.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:45 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
RLL may be one hell of a businessman, a former Oil King, a wonderful activist in the city and a heck of a nice guy, but his track record at hiring football minds to run our team has been abysmal to say the least. To hear that he still is being invited to offer opinions on new hirings is disconcerting at best. Saying that, I like and approve of the latest hiring of Hervey as our GM, but I hope to hell RLL's intervention stops here and now. He is like a bad voodoo doll.
I'd like to hope too, but it's doubtful. I love that Hervey is the GM now, but everything surrounding this just screams old boys club that is going to save certain guys and not allow certain guys to do their job to the fullest.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHAWKING View Post
Good post, anybody that's been watching what has been happening very closely knows that Len Rhodes is to blame as much as Tillman.
Not giving Rhodes a complete free pass, but he'd only been on the job for 11 days when Tillman pulled the trigger on the Ray deal. RLL did most of the damage to this organization the last 7 years, IMO. Sure Rhodes could have jumped in, but when you're brand new to the job, with no football experience, and you find out the GM that has been hired has literally been given full autonomy, it isn't as easy as you make it sound. I'm sure RLL told him this and to let Tillman do his job, as he'd got them into the Western final the year before.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:57 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Not giving Rhodes a complete free pass, but he'd only been on the job for 11 days when Tillman pulled the trigger on the Ray deal. RLL did most of the damage to this organization the last 7 years, IMO. Sure Rhodes could have jumped in, but when you're brand new to the job, with no football experience, and you find out the GM that has been hired has literally been given full autonomy, it isn't as easy as you make it sound. I'm sure RLL told him this and to let Tillman do his job, as he'd got them into the Western final the year before.
There would have been a full blown mutiny if he had tried to veto the trade. People cant put that on him. But the timing of the Tillman firing was strange to say the least. He has given no real good explanation for the timing of that firing imo. If Tillman was that bad he should have canned him earlier, like right after the kicker trade.

If they were going to wait until the week of the first playoff game they should have just waited until after it was over.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:02 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Reed being retained in any capacity is discouraging, but at least it's easier to fire him as coach than as GM.
Hopefully the new GM is right and Hervey/Reed will be the dynamic duo that the dysfunctional duo of Tillman/Reed couldn't be. Coach Kavis' work ethic has always been there. Now, able to focus solely on his duties as Head Coach, we'll be able to accurately judge if the aptitude is there.

Closed Thread