HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout XXV: New car caviar four star daydream, think I'll buy me a hockey team

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-10-2012, 05:47 PM
  #901
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever
 
Gret99zky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gamma Quadrant
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,579
vCash: 6964
Anyone made any predictions about what the league will do for the fans once they get back on the ice?

Bettman and Fehr bobbleheads?

Or just "Thanks, again, fans" written on the ice.

Gret99zky is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 05:48 PM
  #902
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,877
vCash: 500
Cherry on Bettman: 'It's getting personal'

Quote:
“Guys like (Boston Bruins owner) Jeremy Jacobs -- you think he’s not licking his lips right now?” Cherry asked. “(Players) have got to realize, these teams for these billionaire owners are toys. This is not their main (source of income). If you keep pushing them up the wall, you’re going to be very sorry. They’re calling these billionaires ‘idiots’? That really kills me. You’re not going to snow these guys. These guys have been in negotiations.”
Full article:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-l...tanenbaum_cba/

sheed36 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 05:48 PM
  #903
Ari91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
You found some of the quotes yourself, you can find the rest if you want to.
If I saw the quotes exactly as you say they've been said, I wouldn't ask you to provide evidence, would I? If you don't want to back up yourself with these 'facts', then it only hurts the argument you try so hard to put out there. I'm not interested in denying facts, I'm interested in seeing those facts before I acknowledge them. Your comments are opinions until you can prove them to be otherwise. That's usually how it works.

Ari91 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 05:51 PM
  #904
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,694
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Do you really think you need to be a player to make an assumption regarding whether players think they have been treated badly or not?

That's slicing it pretty thin.
I wouldn't have thought the players were being treated badly in 1992. They were getting paid to play a game they love. However, they did.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 05:51 PM
  #905
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
The players did not keep "taking and taking and taking". They got what they were entitled to under the CBA...nothing more; nothing less.
Applying that to the current situation... when they get 50/50 on this CBA they won't be giving back either. They'll only be getting what they're entitled to.

Legionnaire11 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 05:52 PM
  #906
Boltsfan2029
Registered User
 
Boltsfan2029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In deleted threads
Country: United States
Posts: 6,281
vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Optics. The NHLPA will use its repeated requests for mediation as evidence it is bargaining in good faith when it goes to decertify, which has been the PA's intention the entire time.
Won't that be hard, tho, since the league has tabled more offers than the PA has?

Boltsfan2029 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 05:57 PM
  #907
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
If I saw the quotes exactly as you say they've been said, I wouldn't ask you to provide evidence, would I? If you don't want to back up yourself with these 'facts', then it only hurts the argument you try so hard to put out there. I'm not interested in denying facts, I'm interested in seeing those facts before I acknowledge them. Your comments are opinions until you can prove them to be otherwise. That's usually how it works.
What I'm saying is not out on a limb and in fact you conceded in an earlier post that Bettman had alluded to offers getting worse. You also conceded that the NHL made an offer that was take it or leave it but didn't count because it wasn't "official"... whatever that means. I get the feeling you're just being difficult... so I'm not going to go to the trouble for you.


Last edited by Scurr: 12-10-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Scurr is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 05:58 PM
  #908
OrangeBlue10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
i am a fan of this Anchorage plan, although i believe there is a better place, somewhere in saskatchewan

OrangeBlue10 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:00 PM
  #909
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,030
vCash: 597
http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/60.../151547/public

Quote:
Reste qu’il est fort probable que les joueurs soient forcés de voter sur la prochaine offre qui est sur la table, peu importe si elle plait ou non à Donald Fehr. Un vote serait essentiel pour déterminer clairement ce que souhaitent les joueurs parce qu’ils ne sont pas tous sur la même longueur d’ondes présentement.
Renaud Lavoie writes that it's very probable the players will be forced to vote on the next offer that the NHL puts on the table, regardless of if Fehr is happy with that or not. A vote would be essential in order to clearly determine what the players want because they are not all on the same page right now.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:01 PM
  #910
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,541
vCash: 500
Talks break down by Friday our Saturday this week?

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:03 PM
  #911
Crows*
 
Crows*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/60.../151547/public



Renaud Lavoie write that it's very probable the players will be forced to vote on the next offer that the NHL puts on the table, regardless of if Fehr is happy with that or not. A vote would be essential in order to clearly determine what the players want because they are not all on the same page right now.
Just read that. Terrific news. Just proves there are a lot of players pushing this to get done. I think a vote passes.

Crows* is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:04 PM
  #912
5 Minute Major
Registered User
 
5 Minute Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,576
vCash: 500
Seems like things have become worse since last week reading this thread. Why even waste their time and meet? Just cancel the season and cool off the rest of the winter and get back to it next spring.

5 Minute Major is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:04 PM
  #913
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,694
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Talks break down by Friday our Saturday this week?
I'm going with Friday. Fehr probably sees the cancelled games as at least one free week of waiting longer.


Might not be a bad vBookie event

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:04 PM
  #914
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/60.../151547/public



Renaud Lavoie writes that it's very probable the players will be forced to vote on the next offer that the NHL puts on the table, regardless of if Fehr is happy with that or not. A vote would be essential in order to clearly determine what the players want because they are not all on the same page right now.
I'm sure the NHL knows that they're going to have to vote at some point very soon...wonder whether they scale back the offer just to make fehr look like a jackass.

UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:06 PM
  #915
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,677
vCash: 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
We've heard from many sources that the players are growing more and more antsy and disgruntled based on Fehr promising to get them more and more as the NHL pulls the plug and says its off the table. Whether that is true or not is to be determined though. That doesn't change the fact that Fehr's leash is getting shorter and shorter. We'll see if he can get them more after a season is canceled. I'm curious to see what the show would be like in the NHLPA if that were to occur.
And just what are those credible sources again? What evidence is there of Fehr's leash getting shorter other than wishful thinking on the part of people like you who think it's all his fault? I would say at this point there is little evidence to support your contentions. What happens if he is right and the two sides really aren't that far from settling it? Apologies all around from your side?

kihei is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:07 PM
  #916
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,453
vCash: 500
Will they have to start back at square one now that Gary's supposedly pulled everything off of the table.

vanwest is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:07 PM
  #917
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 28,681
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I'm sure the NHL knows that they're going to have to vote at some point very soon...wonder whether they scale back the offer just to make fehr look like a jackass.
It's probably smarter to table the same offer just to avoid players feeling extra victimized.

Freudian is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:08 PM
  #918
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Cherry on Bettman: 'It's getting personal'



Full article:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-l...tanenbaum_cba/
Yup, and it's why the players are beyond screwed. They let it get personal, when the owners have never gotten personal. Players are going to lose even more because they let it get personal and let their ego's get in the way of making the only decision/choice they had.

WingedWheel1987 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:08 PM
  #919
rdawg1234
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
It's probably smarter to table the same offer just to avoid players feeling extra victimized.
agreed, table it, say you have a few days to vote or we take make whole off permanently.

rdawg1234 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:11 PM
  #920
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
agreed, table it, say you have a few days to vote or we take make whole off permanently.
That's not likely to happen. What will likely happen is that the NHL gives on some issues and the PA gives on some issues. Then both sides can sell it to the owners/players. Neither side is likely to get all that they are asking for. Right now they're just fighting to get as much as they can.

vanwest is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:11 PM
  #921
Doobz89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
I really hope the owners come back with a much lesser offer than the last one so the players realize how stupid they were to not accept the last one.

Doobz89 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:12 PM
  #922
Boltsfan2029
Registered User
 
Boltsfan2029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In deleted threads
Country: United States
Posts: 6,281
vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
agreed, table it, say you have a few days to vote or we take make whole off permanently.
I don't know about removing make whole permanently, but I like the idea of tabling the same offer contingent upon a vote by the PA. I would think Fehr and the hard line players would absolutely JUMP at that opportunity since the union is so firmly behind them. It would show up the league big time, and it's utterly foolproof since they know there's no possible way the rank and file would approve the deal.

Right?


Boltsfan2029 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:13 PM
  #923
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
I don't know about removing make whole permanently, but I like the idea of tabling the same offer contingent upon a vote by the PA. I would think Fehr and the hard line players would absolutely JUMP at that opportunity since the union is so firmly behind them. It would show up the league big time, and it's utterly foolproof since they know there's no possible way the rank and file would approve the deal.

Right?

Yep. I agree that you are correct. Fehr seems to have pretty solid support. Pretty much like Bettman.
The league's plan was to try to split the union like last time but it has failed. Time to start behaving responsibly and finalize these last details and get hockey back.

vanwest is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:14 PM
  #924
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobz89 View Post
so the players realize how stupid they were to not accept the last one.
This has been said after every offer the league makes and every time that offer is bettered by another offer by the league.

Scurr is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:15 PM
  #925
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky
 
CBJBrassard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
I don't know about removing make whole permanently, but I like the idea of tabling the same offer contingent upon a vote by the PA. I would think Fehr and the hard line players would absolutely JUMP at that opportunity since the union is so firmly behind them. It would show up the league big time, and it's utterly foolproof since they know there's no possible way the rank and file would approve the deal.

Right?

I think it would be illegal for the NHL to tell the NHLPA how to run its operations. (Telling them to vote or its off the table forever.)

CBJBrassard16 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.