HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout XXV: New car caviar four star daydream, think I'll buy me a hockey team

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-10-2012, 06:15 PM
  #926
rdawg1234
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
That's not likely to happen. What will likely happen is that the NHL gives on some issues and the PA gives on some issues. Then both sides can sell it to the owners/players. Neither side is likely to get all that they are asking for. Right now they're just fighting to get as much as they can.
I dont think the league is interested in giving anything more, at least not until the season is cancelled.

rdawg1234 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:16 PM
  #927
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
I dont think the league is interested in giving anything more, at least not until the season is cancelled.
We'll see about that. They've moved every time they've said that this is their final offer. I'm confident that neither side will get everything.

vanwest is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:18 PM
  #928
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobz89 View Post
I really hope the owners come back with a much lesser offer than the last one so the players realize how stupid they were to not accept the last one.
I hope they keep the offer the same if they feel they really can live with it and it has a chance of passing a vote. I'd much rather have NHL hockey back than to teach the players a supposed lesson.

Legionnaire11 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:21 PM
  #929
B2k3
#Yzerteam
 
B2k3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tampa Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I hope they keep the offer the same if they feel they really can live with it and it has a chance of passing a vote. I'd much rather have NHL hockey back than to teach the players a supposed lesson.
All I hope for is a damned season...

B2k3 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:24 PM
  #930
Marns
@SH_Hockey
 
Marns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Talks break down by Friday our Saturday this week?
Next week. I say they keep us hanging on by staying relatively quiet this week. Early next week they'll start talking, we'll hear things are going well by Wednesday, and it'll blow up on Friday.

Marns is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:25 PM
  #931
5 Minute Major
Registered User
 
5 Minute Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
Anyone made any predictions about what the league will do for the fans once they get back on the ice?

Bettman and Fehr bobbleheads?

Or just "Thanks, again, fans" written on the ice.
When they come back the league will throw us a bone by changing a whole lot of team logos so they can sell more and more merchandise with the new logos on them.

Aren't we lucky?

5 Minute Major is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:25 PM
  #932
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 67,474
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/60.../151547/public



Renaud Lavoie writes that it's very probable the players will be forced to vote on the next offer that the NHL puts on the table, regardless of if Fehr is happy with that or not. A vote would be essential in order to clearly determine what the players want because they are not all on the same page right now.
Good. They should've put a vote on the last one before trying to push for more when they wouldn't get any.

Shrimper is online now  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:25 PM
  #933
ltrangerfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
I dont think the league is interested in giving anything more, at least not until the season is cancelled.
I believe the league has more to offer but they will not put a better proposal on the board until the PA shows movement in their direction.

The PA has basically been negotiating off the NHL's proposals. They now have to decide if they want a deal.

ltrangerfan is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:27 PM
  #934
McRib
2nd Rate Fan
 
McRib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlue10 View Post
i am a fan of this Anchorage plan, although i believe there is a better place, somewhere in saskatchewan
I vote for the Prairie Oasis Motel in Moose Jaw. Don and Gary can go watersliding after they get a deal done... But only if they get a deal done.

Seriously though... Get away from the spot light. I really do sincerely doubt much will get out if your undisclosed location is a smaller non-NHL market... Even in Canada.

McRib is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:28 PM
  #935
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
I believe the league has more to offer but they will not put a better proposal on the board until the PA shows movement in their direction.

The PA has basically been negotiating off the NHL's proposals. They now have to decide if they want a deal.
I think the PA should accept a 10 year CBA and the NHL should offer a 6 or 7 year max contract with say 10% variance a year. There's some fairly easy fixes here.

vanwest is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:28 PM
  #936
ltrangerfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
Anyone made any predictions about what the league will do for the fans once they get back on the ice?

Bettman and Fehr bobbleheads?

Or just "Thanks, again, fans" written on the ice.
I believe they'll give out free ice cubes if you purchase large enough drinks.

ltrangerfan is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:28 PM
  #937
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Good. They should've put a vote on the last one before trying to push for more when they wouldn't get any.
Lockout is over the second the PA is allowed to vote on a proposal.

WingedWheel1987 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:29 PM
  #938
Kings4thecup
Registered User
 
Kings4thecup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
Currently at appx. 49-50% with today's cancellations.
On XM today it was said, on average, each team has lost 35.1 games. This means there are 47 games left to play after the 30th. It's been assumed by most, any agreement would require a 48 game schedule, so that makes sense. 35/82 is 42.7%. If they end up making a deal, and play 48, it's 34/82 or 41.5%.

Kings4thecup is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:29 PM
  #939
Ari91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
What I'm saying is not out on a limb and in fact you conceded in an earlier post that Bettman had alluded to offers getting worse. You also conceded that the NHL made an offer that was take it or leave it but didn't count because it wasn't "official"... whatever that means. I get the feeling you're just being difficult... so I'm not going to go to the trouble for you.
My point was that both sides speak with manufactured words that say some truth but not all truth, hence why I don't think one side's version is more truthful or important than the other side. My point was that because of manufactured words, it's not wise to take words and assume their exact meaning, but rather dissect those words to get what is being said (not what you think is being said). Bettman alluding to something is not the same as Bettman saying exactly that. That is my point. I never claimed that the take it or leave it didn't count because it wasn't official, I claimed that the unofficial offer could be construed in more than your tunnel vision scenario. Does it mean that I'm right? Of course not. What it does mean is that there are more ways to dissect the information than just taking what someone is saying and putting it together in the way that makes the most sense to you. That doesn't create facts. That is still an opinion.

I asked for quotes that CLAIM EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAY to prove that you are offering facts and not your interpretation of the words that both sides have given you. Tell yourself whatever you need to. If you claim such things exist and you want to throw out weak excuses as to why you can't provide the evidence, it's your argument that suffers, not mine. You wanted to dance around the point I was trying to make to defend your comments as facts, it seems you're the one that's being difficult if you can't understand the point.

Ari91 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:32 PM
  #940
Marty Party
@ The Bridge
 
Marty Party's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 562
vCash: 500
So if it goes to a vote how is the line break down between the yes and no votes? Figure 1st liners are 100% no right?

Marty Party is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:33 PM
  #941
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Lockout is over the second the PA is allowed to vote on a proposal.
So stall the vote til January. Donezo says Fehr to mediation.

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:33 PM
  #942
Erik Estrada
One Country United!
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Land of the Habs
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/60.../151547/public



Renaud Lavoie writes that it's very probable the players will be forced to vote on the next offer that the NHL puts on the table, regardless of if Fehr is happy with that or not. A vote would be essential in order to clearly determine what the players want because they are not all on the same page right now.
Does he say anywhere who is/are his sources?

Erik Estrada is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:33 PM
  #943
StittsvilleJames
Registered User
 
StittsvilleJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 806
vCash: 500
I don't think that the the NHL's offers are 'getting better', as the money being conceded by the NHL is simply money they're not spending on running the league.

If the players want to call that a victory and tell themselves the offer is better now and they won the lockout, than go ahead, vote yes to it, pat yourselves on the back, give Bettman the stink eye and don't speak to him when you pass him on the escalator, gloat, laugh about it with your buddies over a beer, do what you have to do, just DO IT!!

dummies.

StittsvilleJames is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:33 PM
  #944
Ari91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/60.../151547/public



Renaud Lavoie writes that it's very probable the players will be forced to vote on the next offer that the NHL puts on the table, regardless of if Fehr is happy with that or not. A vote would be essential in order to clearly determine what the players want because they are not all on the same page right now.
I think it's safe to assume that both sides have pressure internally to get something done. While I consider Renaud to be the best source for information during this negotiation, I don't see how it could have such a high probability unless the players on the executive committee are feeling intense pressure or among the group that are pressuring for a deal.

Ari91 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:33 PM
  #945
5 Minute Major
Registered User
 
5 Minute Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Lockout is over the second the PA is allowed to vote on a proposal.
I really don't believe that to be true.

5 Minute Major is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:33 PM
  #946
CoRD
Rebizzle my Flizzle
 
CoRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In the studio
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,537
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/60.../151547/public



Renaud Lavoie writes that it's very probable the players will be forced to vote on the next offer that the NHL puts on the table, regardless of if Fehr is happy with that or not. A vote would be essential in order to clearly determine what the players want because they are not all on the same page right now.
God I sure hope so. This is what I came to suggest. Just let the friggin players decide. It shouldn't be up to Fehr, let the players vote on it and we will REALLY see if they care about hockey or not.

CoRD is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:35 PM
  #947
StittsvilleJames
Registered User
 
StittsvilleJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
I think it's safe to assume that both sides have pressure internally to get something done. While I consider Renaud to be the best source for information during this negotiation, I don't see how it could have such a high probability unless the players on the executive committee are feeling intense pressure or among the group that are pressuring for a deal.
Maybe voting helps them if they do vote no and end up decertifying the union, so they'll be forced to vote, tactically?

StittsvilleJames is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:36 PM
  #948
CoRD
Rebizzle my Flizzle
 
CoRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In the studio
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,537
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
I really don't believe that to be true.
Most believe it to be true. A few of the issues that destroyed the last negotiations only affect a small percentage of the players. I think anyways, I may be wrong there.

CoRD is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:36 PM
  #949
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Party View Post
So if it goes to a vote how is the line break down between the yes and no votes? Figure 1st liners are 100% no right?
My guess would be that if it went to a forced vote about 90% to 95% would vote against the NHL's current offer.

vanwest is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 06:37 PM
  #950
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Lockout is over the second the PA is allowed to vote on a proposal.
I'm wondering now if they would have to vote on a full proposal, or would the union leaders put each separate section up. There are definitely sections that would be voted FOR without a doubt, and there are sections that would be voted AGAINST without a doubt.

So they let each section be voted on and then when certain sections are rejected they can say "Well we voted and the result was that we didn't accept the proposal".

That way they avoid accepting the negatives as part of the overall deal which may be accepted. And the lockout continues, along with the belief that holding out will result in a more favorable deal.

Legionnaire11 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.