HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout XXVI: 57 Hockey Channels (And Nothin' On)

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
NHL Lockout XXVI: 57 Hockey Channels (And Nothin' On)

So I bought a .44 magnum it was solid steel cast
And in the blessed name of Elvis I let it blast
'Til my TV lay in pieces there at my feet
And they busted me for disturbin' the almighty peace
Judge said "What you got in your defense son?"
I said fifty-seven channels and nothin' on
"I can see by your eyes friend you're just about gone"
Fifty-seven channels and nothin' on
Fifty-seven channels and nothin'...
Fifty-seven channels and...

Quote:
NHL lockout wipes out more games

Chris Johnston, Canadian Press | Dec 10, 2012 11:21 AM ET

All games have been cancelled through Friday, and Bettman said he won’t allow a season to be played that contains fewer than 48 games.

The earliest a shortened NHL season will start is Dec. 31.

The league cancelled another 104 regular-season games on Monday afternoon, bringing the total number wiped away by the lockout to 526. That represents nearly 43 per cent of the season.

The entire schedule through Dec. 30 — plus the Jan. 1 Winter Classic at Michigan Stadium and Jan. 27 all-star game in Columbus — is now off the books.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...s-soon-report/

Important

Posts that state simply "Bettman/Fehr/Player-X is an idiot" or other similar insults will be removed as spam. They add nothing to the discussion. Please refrain from making such posts.

Any information being posted from Twitter, TSN and other various sites regarding the CBA need to be posted with a link. We've been seeing a lot of copy and paste jobs without links.

If links are not included with a tweet or from information from another site such as TSN the post will be deleted and the possibly of the user being removed from the discussion.
The tweets must come from mainstream media sources, or known league affiliations.

Note: To post links to the specific tweet, click on the time the tweet was sent. See picture below.

Thanks for your cooperation!!

Previous Thread

12-10-2012, 07:21 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Let's hope it's the last thread, eh?

Old
12-10-2012, 07:22 PM
IdealisticSniper

Vanwest, Id still like a list of the public comments of the lower pay grade players.

Old
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

So, about that Christmas Day opener...

Old
uncleherman77

Well the Leafs are still losing to the Bruins guys. Just lost a 3-2 14 round shootout to Boston. Game got me pumped though, want real NHL back.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:24 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Vanwest, Id still like a list of the public comments of the lower pay grade players.
MAlhotra, Darche, Campoli ... pretty every single person who has publicly spoken on this. You can do a search. You guys are trying to create a conflict when the only evidence is Hamrlik, one out of 750 players.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:25 PM
domdo345

anyway for all of those that say the union is still strong and all have the same point of view, I highly suggest you take a look at the notion of ''silent majority''.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:26 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
anyway for all of those that say the union is still strong, I highly suggest you take a look at the notion of ''silent majority''.
LOL! Since they are silent I obviously can't disprove it.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:27 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
MAlhotra, Darche, Campoli ... pretty every single person who has publicly spoken on this. You can do a research. You guys are trying to create a conflict when the only evidence is Hamrlik, one out of 750 players.
Darche and Campoli dont even have NHL contracts and more than likely wont ever have another one. Their opinion means as much as mine at this point.

Malhotra is making 2.5M a year, thats a fringe lower pay grade (Minimum to 2.5 would be what I would consider the lower echelon).

Guys arent going to come out and say negative things about their fellow players. Its a lot easier to say something for your union than against it. Why is that hard to comprehend?

And the guys you brought up, I just addressed. Is there anyone else?

Old
12-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
MAlhotra, Darche, Campoli ... pretty every single person who has publicly spoken on this. You can do a research. You guys are trying to create a conflict when the only evidence is Hamrlik, one out of 750 players.
darche, campoli, non nhlpa members (or atleast shouldn't be), malhotra yeah he's lower grade paid at that minimum wage of 2.5 million a year.

can you find any one else?

Old
12-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
Pretty much how I feel. If its about money, why would they continue to fight when it costs them more than they could possibly gain?
The lockout at this point is about Fehr, not the players.
There is pretty much no possible way they can make more money in the long run than if they had just signed the October offer (not to be confused by the terrible September offer.)

Many players aren't educated/intelligent enough to think for themselves, while many others are probably heavily influenced by the bullying tactics of Fehr and his inner circle. The bullies warned that even Hamrlik's teammates won't protect him out there for having the audacity to speak the truth.
The tactics have successfully silenced the rest of the nlhpa that are intelligent enough to see that they are now going to lose more money in the long run than if they signed the October offer.

Half of the owners are losing millions per year. I can 100% understand a lockout from that standpoint.
But I'm literally getting sickened by the players. I have no idea how I'm going to cheer for these idiots if hockey ever comes back.

Old
domdo345

Quote:
do you even know the concept? they are silent because of the minority of players that are very vocal. Maybe it's not the case, but it often is.

Old
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Enrolled myself in an adult beginner hockey program in January. Maybe if I can't watch the damn game, I'll at least get to play it.

Old
averyrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
i'm still trying to figure out what fehr is so scared of, if the nhlpa is such a tight knit group like he and they say they are. then there should be no worries about putting the current deal up for vote right? they would all say no right?
Why would it even bother him if the players vote yes? His job is to get the players the deal that they want, right? So if they vote yes, that means they want the deal, right? So in that case he has done exactly what he was hired for, right? I just don't understand what Fehr has to gain by dragging this out longer than it needs to go. The CBA does not effect him personally at all.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:29 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
So, about that Christmas Day opener...
Best Christmas present evar.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
12-10-2012, 07:29 PM
MISC*
Negged.

I figure they will cancel the season on Jan 1st?

Old
12-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Darche and Campoli dont even have NHL contracts and more than likely wont ever have another one. Their opinion means as much as mine at this point.

Malhotra is making 2.5M a year, thats a fringe lower pay grade (Minimum to 2.5 would be what I would consider the lower echelon).

Guys arent going to come out and say negative things about their fellow players. Its a lot easier to say something for your union than against it. Why is that hard to comprehend?

Actually all three of those guys are probably out of the NHL pretty soon. I'd doubt Campoli or Darche receives contract offers, and Malhotra is most likely on his last NHL deal based on his current level of play ... at the very least he's looking at a severe pay cut on his next deal.

Old
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by averyrule View Post
Why would it even bother him if the players vote yes? His job is to get the players the deal that they want, right? So if they vote yes, that means they want the deal, right? So in that case he has done exactly what he was hired for, right? I just don't understand what Fehr has to gain by dragging this out longer than it needs to go. The CBA does not effect him personally at all.
exactly, man up fehr. prove to the world that you are doing what your bosses are telling you to do, put it to a vote and just prove it once and for all.

Old
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by averyrule View Post
The problem is if it's a no but the vote is fairly close to even, that publicly shows that the union is growing weak and they lose a lot of leverage.

That being said, I still think it should happen.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:31 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
There were lower tier players that spoke out against Hamrlik's comments but not really "about" what he said - just the fact that he took it publically.

Nothing wrong with a vote like Hamrlik suggested. And frankly when he suggested it -he seemed to be suggesting more of a poll of four contractual elements. Kinda hard to read what he wanted to vote on - that's just my speculation.

But nonetheless - he himself implied - vote and let the cards fall. So I have to believe he has others on his side. Why has nobody else been outspoken like him? Hamrlik took quite a backlash. Maybe he's become the spokesperson for others not wanting to risk the humiliation and backlash. And judging from Hamrlik's latest comments - he hasn't exactly backed down and fallen in line. In fact he got some more jabs in.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
anyway for all of those that say the union is still strong and all have the same point of view, I highly suggest you take a look at the notion of ''silent majority''.
I hope that there's a silent majority... but what if the reality is that the majority of the Union just isn't educated on what has been proposed?

If it goes to a vote, will each player get a complete offer from the NHL and will they take the time to read it, learn what each section means and form an opinion on it before they vote?

Or is it more likely that up to this point they only know what the Union leadership has told them and the only details they know of NHL proposals are filtered through that leadership spin machine. So if this goes to a vote, it's more likely that the NHL provides Fehr with their proposal, and then the Player Reps filter a summary down to their teams for a vote.

In that second scenario, I could easily see the leagues proposal being voted down. And IF the players choose to release results they probably tell us that the proposal was defeated in a landslide since it would show their solidarity. It can't be made know if there is a split vote, since that would show a fracture and give more momentum to the league.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:

That's actually right at league average now. 2.4 million.
And it wasn't just Hamrlik who spoke out against Fehr. He had several players agree with him when asked about it (Neuvirth was one of them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
darche, campoli, non nhlpa members (or atleast shouldn't be), malhotra yeah he's lower grade paid at that minimum wage of 2.5 million a year.

can you find any one else?
Min salary is 650K, Malholtra is paid league average at 2.5 million.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:33 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Go to capgeek.com and look at each roster.

http://www.capgeek.com/ducks/archive/?year_id=2011

Start with Anaheim and go through each team.

Look at the players salaries. They are in numerical order. Notice how there are a LOT more players on each teams roster that make 2.5M or less, then those who make 2.6 or more.

Thats how the vote would be split. EASILY. If they put it to a vote.

Old
vanwest

Quote:

Malhotra's on the last year of his contract and may not get another. That's about as fringe as you can get. The others are fringe players who may or may not get contracts. Can you point out anyone who has come out publicly against the union other than Hamrlik. If you're saying they are afraid to speak out then I can't prove it or disprove it. Again, I think you guys are just imposing your own personal views of the union and trying to manufacture imaginary dissent.

I am not Fehr's biggest fan but I do think he has done a remarkable job of keeping the membership united.

Old
Gibson Les Palms

Quote:
asked Bill Daly if he agreed with #theplayers assertion that a CBA could be done soon after they meet. Daly: "I hope they're right."
https://twitter.com/ChrisBottaNHL/st...05664466558976

I swear, nobody has ever said that as much as Daly.

Closed Thread