HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XXI)

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

vCash: 500
I'd rather re sign Sykora than Gomez. I'd rather trade for Gionta than sign Gomez. Although with the cap going down, and needing to re sign our guys I don't think I'd do that at this point either unless this was the last year of his contract, but he still has one more year.

I wouldn't want Gomez for $3 million. I'd go $2 million, and even I think that's too much, but I can't expect him to take as little money as Sykora did last year. If we're gonna pay $3 million though I'd be interested to see what we could get Lecavalier for. I think TB buys him out cause his contract sucks, and it's too long. He isn't worth that, but I have a feeling he'll still get somewhere around $4.5 million, and 3 years or something from some team.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Lecavalier is on a bad contract, but he's still a legit top line center. He'll get 5+ million from someone for a couple years if he is bought out

Old
12-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
Lecavalier is on a bad contract, but he's still a legit top line center. He'll get 5+ million from someone for a couple years if he is bought out
Yeah I think so too. $4.5 at the least. We couldn't afford him if we're gonna re sign Zajac, and Clarkson. We were supposed to trade for him back in 01 or so. It was the same season Arnott wound up being traded with Mckay, for Nieuwendyk, and Langenbrunner to Dallas. It wasn't long before Robinson was fired. He was having problems with Torts, but obviously they went away because he played there another 7 or 8 years with Torts coaching there afterwards. I think a deal was supposed to be made involving Arnott, but they upped their price.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Yeah I think so too. $4.5 at the least. We couldn't afford him if we're gonna re sign Zajac, and Clarkson. We were supposed to trade for him back in 01 or so. It was the same season Arnott wound up being traded with Mckay, for Nieuwendyk, and Langenbrunner to Dallas. It wasn't long before Robinson was fired. He was having problems with Torts, but obviously they went away because he played there another 7 or 8 years with Torts coaching there afterwards. I think a deal was supposed to be made involving Arnott, but they upped their price.
The rumor was Lecavalier for Gomez.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
The rumor was Lecavalier for Gomez.
I'm pretty sure there was one for Arnott, but there may have been talk of Gomez also. I'm not even sure if the rumors were ever confirmed anyway. Gomez was involved in many would be trade's though so I won't say he wasn't talked about for Lecavalier. Like Gomez for Selanne, Gomez for Datsyuk, etc.

Or perhaps maybe it was Gomez for Lecavalier, but TB upped it, and wanted Arnott instead?

Old
12-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure there was one for Arnott, but there may have been talk of Gomez also. I'm not even sure if the rumors were ever confirmed anyway. Gomez was involved in many would be trade's though so I won't say he wasn't talked about for Lecavalier. Like Gomez for Selanne, Gomez for Datsyuk, etc.

Or perhaps maybe it was Gomez for Lecavalier, but TB upped it, and wanted Arnott instead?
I'm not sure. There were Lecavalier for Gomez rumors for years, it wasn't just a one time thing.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
I'm not sure. There were Lecavalier for Gomez rumors for years, it wasn't just a one time thing.
Haha Gomez was always the guy going out in a trade. I think this one was legit with Arnott, and Lecavalier, but obviously TB didn't wanna go through with it, and that was for the best as he was a key piece in a Cup winner there with them a couple years later.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro

People still hate Gomez?

I totally 100% accept him now. I'm over it he was a big part of the cup teams he was on.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletown Mike View Post
People still hate Gomez?

I totally 100% accept him now. I'm over it he was a big part of the cup teams he was on.
I don't hate him. I just don't think we need him. Though for a decent cap hit, and a deal that isn't long I would accept him. We sucked at faceoffs last year, and if you see a lot of times we got scored on in the playoffs especially on the PK was the result of losing key faceoffs.

We were the second worse team in the league at faceoffs last year behind Calgary I think. Aside from Zajac we didn't really have anyone else who consistently was good in the circle. Josefson was out for a while too. Zajac, and Yayo are our only particularly good faceoff guys.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:40 PM
TheFloyd

Gomez was a good Devils, he's actually 3rd for most points in playoffs but right now we don't need him with Elias, Zajac, Henrique, Josefson and Gionta at centre even if he was making < 1 million per year

Old
12-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

We need another forward, ESPECIALLY if Henrique is injured, and the season starts. I'd rather do Sykora again than Gomez. He'd probably be cheaper too.

I bet Gomer wishes he never left the Devils at this point. Though I have no doubt that he is probably happy for us that we didn't pay him what Sather signed him to. With the team in financial trouble.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:46 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

We need more than just Sykora.
But we also need someone a bit more reliable than Gomez.

Not in a position to take any chances on any more redemption contracts, at least in my opinion.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

I've already calculated us at around $60 million for next years cap payroll. Just under $60 million. If the salary cap is $60-$62 million next year we're close to a ceiling team with pretty much what we have now.

I calculated raises for Zajac, and Clarkson, what Elias, and Zubrus would make, and raises for Henrique, and Josefson which luckily for us won't be as high as they could have been due to the lockout. I was a little liberal with the numbers too for Zajac, and Clarkson so perhaps $60 million is the high end. I also took Zidlicky out, kept Tallinder, and the rest of the defensemen in too. Also took off a million for Colin White's buyout hit.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:52 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

One of the consistent points that has come back into CBA talks is that there will be a transition period for GMs to readjust their lineup.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
I would take Gomez if he takes less then 1 million per

Old
12-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
One of the consistent points that has come back into CBA talks is that there will be a transition period for GMs to readjust their lineup.
If this happens then Gomez stays in Montreal or goes to Hamilton I guess.

I'm confused too. There's the one thing about giving a year to sort out the roster, and contracts, and then there's talk of an amnesty buyout.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Thunderfest
1995 | 2000 | 2003

I don't hate Gomez at all. He was a great Devil. I just think he's legitimately washed up. Wouldn't touch him with a 39.5 foot pole.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:39 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
Probably even cheaper. He would likely ask for less money to play for a legit contender considering he'd already be getting 3 million from buyout money per year until 2027.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:42 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
I would take Gomez if he takes less then 1 million per
Why do people still entertain the idea of bringing him back? He went over a year without a goal. That's a feat that not many players have done, nevermind a offensive minded center. Pathetic.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Why do people still entertain the idea of bringing him back? He went over a year without a goal. That's a feat that not many players have done, nevermind a offensive minded center. Pathetic.
Make no mistake I do not want him back. It seems like something Lou would do unless he took what Gomez did personally. He brought back Holik though so I don't think he took it personally. We paid Holik $2.5 million in 08/09 to mostly center the 4th line. I really can't justify bringing Gomez back over Sykora.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Devils731

For me, it's impossible to know if the Devils should make a run at Gomez, if he was available.

My own impression from the outside is that he still doesn't take hockey serious enough and the Devils won't be interest. On the other hand, If the Devils were to talk with him and believe that Gomez has taken all the recent ridicule to heart and is going to dedicate himself to being the best hockey player he can be, then I think the Devils would be interested. We'll never know if the Devils even attempt to see if Gomez's heart has changed though.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:38 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
What pro sport are we talking about in here?
Cricket.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:28 PM
AirheadPete

you know who i think is and could be a good complimentary player, nik zherdev. i know hes over in the KHL and not sure he has any intentions of returning to north america anyways. and obviously the chances of it happening are slim to none but just a thought. had a pretty solid year his last in the NHL (10-11) w/ philly scoring at a 20+ goal pace while laviolette i dont think was a huge fan of his style of play so he didnt always see loads of icetime. preparing for this to go over like a fart in church here.....

Old
12-10-2012, 07:43 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Make no mistake I do not want him back. It seems like something Lou would do unless he took what Gomez did personally. He brought back Holik though so I don't think he took it personally. We paid Holik $2.5 million in 08/09 to mostly center the 4th line. I really can't justify bringing Gomez back over Sykora.
I was barely in high school when Gomez left so I don't recall it vividly, but wasn't he very vocal about leaving the Devils and not being happy here? And didn't Holik chase a 9 million dollar per year paycheck? Holik never had a bad word to say about the Devils. He just got paid like a boss.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:44 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadPete View Post
you know who i think is and could be a good complimentary player, nik zherdev. i know hes over in the KHL and not sure he has any intentions of returning to north america anyways. and obviously the chances of it happening are slim to none but just a thought. had a pretty solid year his last in the NHL (10-11) w/ philly scoring at a 20+ goal pace while laviolette i dont think was a huge fan of his style of play so he didnt always see loads of icetime. preparing for this to go over like a fart in church here.....
Zherdev is one of the least defensively sound players the NHL has ever seen. He makes Atlanta Kovalchuk look like a Selke winner.

No business here.

Closed Thread