HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Anyone Else Feel Sorry for the Media?

Old
12-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2810
Um.. I don't feel sorry for them at all. They are getting so many readers/followers from this it's not even funny. Also, why should I feel bad for someone like The Hockey News who are now ripping me off with their ****** magazines during the lockout?

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 04:12 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

vCash: 500
not at all...... media, taxi and tow truck drivers. vultures.

njdevils1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Blues88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
When there was some signs of progress in the CBA talks, the media went crazy and started spouting nonsense that a deal would be signed in a day or two, and the season was going to start before Christmas. They are so desperate to see hockey, they just jump the gun with pipe dreams.

I still see they're having NHL shows on the radio daily with nothing to talk about. They even waste times "Ranking Teams" which is the biggest waste of time possible. Once a new CBA deal is signed, there will be tons of movement and many teams won't look the same.

Frankly, it looks kind of sad and pathetic.
They could still report the CBA discussions and cover prospect movement/teams, and other leagues without the sensationalism. You know...that thing called journalistic integrity. It's all but eroded....the back and forth petulance of the league and the PA just facilitates media's tendency to overreact.

Last edited by Blues88: 12-09-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 05:17 PM
ck20

vCash: 50
Nope, I feel the worst for the hundreds of arena workers who actually needed their jobs and got laid off during this lockout that neither the players nor owners have mentioned the entire time.

Media hasn't been affected at all, they have just as much to write about and speculate on.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 05:25 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
These guys get paid good money rain or shine for talking out of their butts, sounds like a great gig whether the NHL ever comes back or not.
Haha, there's no money in journalism right now. Still a great gig though.

I don't feel bad for them, but at the same time I don't get why the media gets so much flack from people for producing the entertainment that we all love to watch. They're just trying to get their story and their pay check, no need for name calling.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:50 PM
NJDevils7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
Who gives a crap about the media? I don't feel sorry for anyone except the everyday working guy who was trying to feed his family. The beer guy, bar owners or worker, those are the people that are getting the shaft.
This. Last year at the Prudential Center, the people who work at the surrounding bars, parking lots, and in the arena relied on 41 Nets games, and 41+ Devils games. This year? 0 Nets games, and 0 Devils games.

NJDevils7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

No..

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
When there was some signs of progress in the CBA talks, the media went crazy and started spouting nonsense that a deal would be signed in a day or two, and the season was going to start before Christmas. They are so desperate to see hockey, they just jump the gun with pipe dreams.

I still see they're having NHL shows on the radio daily with nothing to talk about. They even waste times "Ranking Teams" which is the biggest waste of time possible. Once a new CBA deal is signed, there will be tons of movement and many teams won't look the same.

no.
not even close.

Minor Boarding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:13 PM
enviro61

It has been the most rewarding aspect of this lockout; not having to listen to those who love the sound of their own voices. The media is annoying for far too many reasons to list.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 06:14 PM
SirloinUB

I believe, that without media, the lockout would be over.

SirloinUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 06:21 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirloinUB View Post
heh.. funny, because its probably true..

There's goes the wasted PR campaigning from either side.. there goes the attempts of creating exterior pressures... no wasted energy on strategizing about who gets to the mic first..

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 06:22 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirloinUB View Post
I agree. the media make this much worse.

They give every single person a platform to piss and moan. They fuel the fire of every bone of contention. If they didn't pander to both sides we wouldn't see all the posturing, and it would eliminate the whole battle for public opinion.

What this lockout has done is give me a solid list of people not to pay attention to ever again.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 06:25 PM
skywarp75

Feel sorry for anyone who works in media? I wouldnt piss on them to put out a fire. Ever. Good people can go into media, but to get anywhere, they sell their souls. Lieing for a living should never be pittied.

skywarp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 06:28 PM
TOML

"It should start Christmas Day."

"No, i think it should start on the 25th."

lol

No i don't feel sorry for these guys. Dream jobs with no accountability, educational requirements, or real tasks other than to fill time.

TOML

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:46 PM
skeena1

Before we get out the pitchforks, let's not forget that if there wasn't an audience for their stuff, they wouldn't exist. I don't notice TSN/Sportsnet/Globe and Mail etc going out of business. Also, there are a lot of behind the scenes people who qualify as media that are flat out of work due to the lockout.

skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Plante

What is this? Lol! Sorry for the media? Ya right, the day the media is sorry for anything I might start.

Plante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:42 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Kind of. I'm sure all these...most of these guys were just hockey fanatics like us and they get to cover the sport they love. But I don't feel as bad for them as I do for the employees of the individual teams and the neighboring businesses who depend on the NHL team's fanbase to be successful.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:58 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

I don't feel sorry for a profession which requires you to be a scavenging, nosy, attention *****. Where they jump on any scrap or other people's business, spreads it around for others to see, and at the very least, they compete in a popularity contest.

I feel bad for people who suffer or lack basic needs. And I am sure if I had the energy to broaden my sympathy, there are many other groups I would put over the media.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:12 AM
Tomas W

Well from this side of the world we're all rolling our eyes at this conflict.

Now pull yourself together, and make a deal already!

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 05:44 AM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp75 View Post
Feel sorry for anyone who works in media? I wouldnt piss on them to put out a fire. Ever. Good people can go into media, but to get anywhere, they sell their souls. Lieing for a living should never be pittied.
That's a bit harsh don't you think? Maybe you meant to say politicians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Well from this side of the world we're all rolling our eyes at this conflict.

Now pull yourself together, and make a deal already!

And I roll my eyes at hockeyligan.

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 07:37 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

I don't. Especially when all they report is the latest news on the lockout.

12-11-2012, 08:40 AM
njdevil26

HAH

The media is the reason we are here every day hanging on every tweet being all stressed out haha.

njdevil26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Twitter has become the downfall of modern media credibility. They have three primary charges imo: 1) Craft a compelling account of current events, 2) maintain journalistic veracity / integrity substantiated by quotes, data, etc., and 3) achieve items 1 and 2 in a timely manner (i.e. breaking a "scoop").

Twitter has made it nearly impossible to achieve items 1 and 2 while still pursuing item 3; the attention span of the modern media consumer is shorter than ever and, for the media, the early bird gets the worm...even if that worm is actually an old broken leather shoelace that merely appeared to be a worm.

I don't feel bad for them necessarily, but I understand their situation. That's why you see old school guys like Bob McKenzie often caveat a lot of their tweets with disclosure about "preliminary info."

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:24 AM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
Quote:

In bold is why I would NEVER feel sorry for the media. These are the same people who twist and turn a story negatively to build some sort of following with the viewers.

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:09 PM
SirloinUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeena1 View Post
Before we get out the pitchforks, let's not forget that if there wasn't an audience for their stuff, they wouldn't exist. I don't notice TSN/Sportsnet/Globe and Mail etc going out of business. Also, there are a lot of behind the scenes people who qualify as media that are flat out of work due to the lockout.
I dont think anyone is referring to these people. But on that note im extremely pissed off. My girlfriend was (kind of still is) working for Aquilla. They are the company that does oil change show. I would have had tickets to every game and dressing room access...

Last edited by spiny norman: 12-11-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: corrected [/B][/QUOTE]
SirloinUB is offline   Reply With Quote