HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout XXVI: 57 Hockey Channels (And Nothin' On)

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 07:34 PM
domdo345

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I hope that there's a silent majority... but what if the reality is that the majority of the Union just isn't educated on what has been proposed?

If it goes to a vote, will each player get a complete offer from the NHL and will they take the time to read it, learn what each section means and form an opinion on it before they vote?

Or is it more likely that up to this point they only know what the Union leadership has told them and the only details they know of NHL proposals are filtered through that leadership spin machine. So if this goes to a vote, it's more likely that the NHL provides Fehr with their proposal, and then the Player Reps filter a summary down to their teams for a vote.

In that second scenario, I could easily see the leagues proposal being voted down. And IF the players choose to release results they probably tell us that the proposal was defeated in a landslide since it would show their solidarity. It can't be made know if there is a split vote, since that would show a fracture and give more momentum to the league.
ohh they might really be united. I am just saying that because a handful of players are speaking out-loud the same things, it doesn't mean there's solidarity among them.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:36 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Malhotra's on the last year of his contract and may not get another. That's about as fringe as you can get. The others are fringe players who may or may not get contracts. Can you point out anyone who has come out publicly against the union other than Hamrlik. If you're saying they are afraid to speak out then I can't prove it or disprove it. Again, I think you guys are just imposing your own personal views of the union and trying to manufacture imaginary dissent.

I am not Fehr's biggest fan but I do think he has done a remarkable job of keeping the membership united.
The question was fringe players who dont have NHL contracts, and Malholtra is pretty close to that. It was the players who make minimum to 2.6M that have publicly spoken out about being behind Fehr in this.

Can you provide one name for that?

Old
12-10-2012, 07:38 PM
averyrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
The problem is if it's a no but the vote is fairly close to even, that publicly shows that the union is growing weak and they lose a lot of leverage.

That being said, I still think it should happen.
Question. If they voted on this, would Fehr have to reveal how close the vote was? Or does he just say it was a "yes" or "no"? If it is the latter, then the public will never know how divided the union is. For all we know the vote could have been 100% "no" when it was really 51% to 49%.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:39 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
The question was fringe players who dont have NHL contracts, and Malholtra is pretty close to that. It was the players who make minimum to 2.6M that have publicly spoken out about being behind Fehr in this.

Can you provide one name for that?
No. The question was could I give names of players who were not the big contract guys who have publicly spoken out ie the fring players. I did that. Malhotra will be impacted by a lost season more than most as will the other guys I mentioned. And that was just off the top of my head. I'm sure that if you did a search you could find at least 20 fringe players who have piblicly supported the union. Again, if you have any real evidence of a strong dissent other than just your perosnal opinion I'd like to hear it.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:41 PM
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
I figure they will cancel the season on Jan 1st?
The threat would be very high at that point.
League will not play less than 48 games.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:42 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
No. The question was could I give names of players who were not the big contract guys who have publicly spoken out. I did that. Malhotra will be impacted by a lost season more than most as will the other guys I mentioned. And that was just off the top of my head. I'm sure that if you did a search you could find at least 20 fringe players who have piblicly supported the union. Again, if you have any real evidence of a strong dissent other than just your perosnal opinion I'd like to hear it.
You name two guys who will never play in the NHL again, and a guy who is just about on his way out who is BARELY a lower contract guy.

Hardly supporting evidence to your case. Even if we counted all three of them, thats still 3 vs 2 on the outspoken debate.

So again, anyone else you can name that fits the criteria? You wont name anyone because you cant.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Kesler is Bestler

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by averyrule View Post
Question. If they voted on this, would Fehr have to reveal how close the vote was? Or does he just say it was a "yes" or "no"? If it is the latter, then the public will never know how divided the union is. For all we know the vote could have been 100% "no" when it was really 51% to 49%.
Weigh each vote by the salary of the player casting the vote. A player closest to the 50th percentile in player salaries would have the highest weight. That should make it fair.

Quote:
You name two guys who will never play in the NHL again, and a guy who is just about on his way out who is BARELY a lower contract guy.

Hardly supporting evidence to your case. Even if we counted all three of them, thats still 3 vs 2 on the outspoken debate.

So again, anyone else you can name that fits the criteria? You wont name anyone because you cant.
Brouwer was pretty outspoken against Hamrlik IIRC. I also recall some Habs on the list. Also everyone on the Canucks has been strongly on the side of the union. Maybe look up some voice clips during the lockout from players on your team?

Old
12-10-2012, 07:45 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
anyway for all of those that say the union is still strong and all have the same point of view, I highly suggest you take a look at the notion of ''silent majority''.
Until those who are silent speak up you cannot make assumptions about their stance on the issues.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:45 PM
vanwest

A list of the NHLPA negotiating committee. I'll let posters decide who is a fringe player:
"The NHLPA Negotiating Committee consists 31 NHL players who represent a broad cross-section of union members. There is an unprecedented level of member involvement in the current CBA process, driven by the NHLPA’s new player-written Constitution, and a desire to build upon the sacrifices and lessons learned by past generations.

NHLPA members are encouraged to and are frequently attending bargaining sessions. Regional player meetings are being held on a regular basis and recaps are made available throughout the negotiating process, ensuring that players are aware of developments.

NHLPA Negotiating Committee:

Craig Adams
Adrian Aucoin
Alex Auld
David Backes
Marty Biron
Brad Boyes
Chris Campoli
B.J. Crombeen
Mathieu Darche
Rick DiPietro
Brandon Dubinsky
Ruslan Fedotenko
Alex Goligoski
Ron Hainsey
Scott Hartnell
Jamie Langenbrunner
Manny Malhotra
Steve Montador
Dominic Moore
Brendan Morrison
Douglas Murray
George Parros
Chris Phillips
Cory Schneider
John Tavares
Shea Weber
Kevin Westgarth
Dan Winnik
James Wisniewski
Henrik Zetterberg

Old
12-10-2012, 07:47 PM
vanwest

Quote:

See the NHLPA 31 man negotiating committee that I set out above. Fill your boots with deciding which players fit your exacting standards for what a fringe player is. I'd say over half of them.

Old
averyrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler is Bestler View Post
Weigh each vote by the salary of the player casting the vote. A player closest to the 50th percentile in player salaries would have the highest weight. That should make it fair.
Totally fair. Every player's salary right now is $0.00 lol.

Old
MISC*
Negged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
The threat would be very high at that point.
League will not play less than 48 games.

We essentially need an answer in the next 10 days, I suppose to be on the ice by the 1at of Jan.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:48 PM
colchar

Quote:
I'm thinking there will be an announcement by this weekend that a deal has been reached. I have no objective reason for that, just a gut feeling that I haven't had at any point up until now.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:48 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
This might be a dumb question, but why isn't the negotiating committee made up of 1 player from each team? Then you'd know for sure that EVERY team has an equal voice?

Old
12-10-2012, 07:50 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
https://twitter.com/ChrisBottaNHL/st...05664466558976

I swear, nobody has ever said that as much as Daly.
What do you want the fella to say lol. I don't know what to expect any more

Old
12-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
This might be a dumb question, but why isn't the negotiating committee made up of 1 player from each team? Then you'd know for sure that EVERY team has an equal voice?
if they went to may, they could start feb 1st. to get 48 games, 17 games a month.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by averyrule View Post
Fair enough, for some reason, the idea of a private vote never popped into my mind.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
The league's plan was to try to split the union like last time but it has failed.
Well, none of us has any real way of knowing whether the union is split, or to what degree it may be split, but a vote would go a long way to proving it isn't. I would think Fehr and the PA would be salivating at just how that would show the NHL they really are united. Seems to me that would be awesome leverage, but Fehr would have to roll the dice. Last time he did that was when he announced they were close to a deal and we all know how that worked out. Is he willing to try it again?

Quote:
I think it would be illegal for the NHL to tell the NHLPA how to run its operations. (Telling them to vote or its off the table forever.)
Ah, maybe, but it would sure be interesting to see if Fehr would agree to that vote. I doubt he would.

Quote:
When they come back the league will throw us a bone by changing a whole lot of team logos so they can sell more and more merchandise with the new logos on them.
I'm selfish in this regard - I hate our new logo, I'd be thrilled if this lockout made them change it!

Quote:
yes i'm sure the players who are making 500k a season, who will never see even remotely half of the money they just lost because of the lost paycheques are just thrilled that they are holding out on cba length, and contract lengths.
Not to mention players whose careers will likely be over if they lose this entire season. How many never played another game after the last lockout, 240 or so? (That's the number the jumps into my head, not saying it's dead accurate.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
In that second scenario, I could easily see the leagues proposal being voted down. And IF the players choose to release results they probably tell us that the proposal was defeated in a landslide since it would show their solidarity. It can't be made know if there is a split vote, since that would show a fracture and give more momentum to the league.
Eh, that could never happen. Only owners lie or twist the numbers in their favor!!! The PA would be 100% truthful, I'm sure.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:54 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9
In what way was Hamrlik made an example of? Was he fined? Punished in some way? Nope.
He was lambasted by his union "brothers".

Old
12-10-2012, 07:56 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler is Bestler View Post

Brouwer was pretty outspoken against Hamrlik IIRC. I also recall some Habs on the list. Also everyone on the Canucks has been strongly on the side of the union. Maybe look up some voice clips during the lockout from players on your team?

Brouwer makes 3.6M a year.

Habs were Cole (4.5M), Gionta (5M), and Gorges (I think he was the other one; 3.9M).

Define everyone on the Canucks. I highly doubt every player on the Canucks has said something. Let alone something backing the union.

Luckily, many of the Lightning players have stayed quiet. I dont really remember hearing anything specifically one way or another from any of them. A couple of retweets and out of context or irrelevant comments from beat writers but nothing like the other guys we are talking about currently.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:56 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
if they went to may, they could start feb 1st. to get 48 games, 17 games a month.
No offense meant here...but did you intend to quote my question?

Old
12-10-2012, 07:59 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
See the NHLPA 31 man negotiating committee that I set out above. Fill your boots with deciding which players fit your exacting standards for what a fringe player is. I'd say over half of them.
The problem with that list, is how many of those players have said anything publicly about the situation? Not many at all. I didnt even KNOW half of those players were part of the negotiating committee.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
No offense meant here...but did you intend to quote my question?
no not even close, i could of swore i clicked on the one about scheduling lol.

Old
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 140
Quote:
I figure they still have room to cancel a few games in January. I imagine when they cancel the next round of games they'll make a public declaration that the rest of the season is next. So they probably need to have a CBA signed by the middle of January or the season's toast.

Old
vanwest

Quote:
The problem with that list, is how many of those players have said anything publicly about the situation? Not many at all. I didnt even KNOW half of those players were part of the negotiating committee.
Sure. The players on the committee don't support Fehr. Now you're really stretching.
I gave you at least 20 names. Now can you give me more than Hamrlik and Neuvirth?

Closed Thread