HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout XXVI: 57 Hockey Channels (And Nothin' On)

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 08:01 PM
IdealisticSniper

vCash: 500
Whoa wait a minute. Dominic Moore is on the committee? Is he actually participating in negotiations?

The reason I ask is because I felt the guy @adater was quoting might be Moore. I didnt know he was part of the main committee.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:02 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
no not even close, i could of swore i clicked on the one about scheduling lol.
lol, it's no problem.

But are you aware why they don't just have 1 player from each team make up the Negotiating Committee?

I just think that would seem more fair.

Old
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
The problem with that list, is how many of those players have said anything publicly about the situation? Not many at all. I didnt even KNOW half of those players were part of the negotiating committee.
do even half of those players go into the negotiations? every time i see the line up of the players involved in the meetings, the only ones that ever stick out are westgarth, darche.

Old
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Sure. The players on the committee don't support Fehr. Now you're really stretching.
I gave you at least 20 names. Now can you give me more than Hamrlik and Neuvirth?
So youre saying that because they are part of that committee, they automatically support Fehr?

Interesting. So then all 30 owners should support Bettman in all this right? Its an absolute.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:03 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by averyrule View Post
Question. If they voted on this, would Fehr have to reveal how close the vote was? Or does he just say it was a "yes" or "no"? If it is the latter, then the public will never know how divided the union is. For all we know the vote could have been 100% "no" when it was really 51% to 49%.
A bargaining committee would only reveal how close a vote was if it was to their advantage. For example they would anounce the details if it was 95% in support(anything over 90% is usally considered strong support in bargaining). If it was 51% they would merely say they had the support of the majority of members.

Of course it is no different for the owners. Neither side is under any obligation to share percentages.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
IMO you can't declare anyone to believe one way or the other if they haven't spoken up. All you can do is say it's safe to assume that there are those among the silent folks who believe one way, and those who believe the other. How many of each is anyone's guess. The only way to know for sure is to put a proposal to a vote.

Old
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
So youre saying that because they are part of that committee, they automatically support Fehr?

Interesting. So then all 30 owners should support Bettman in all this right? Its an absolute.
Just to play "Devil's Advocate"....

All 30 owners DID vote in favor of the Lockout

Old
averyrule

Quote:
do even half of those players go into the negotiations? every time i see the line up of the players involved in the meetings, the only ones that ever stick out are westgarth, darche.
No wonder they are having trouble choosing a location for the next negotiations. How in the hell do they fit all those guys in the room? Isn't that a fire hazard or something?

Old
davemac1313

vCash: 143
Quote:
A list of the NHLPA negotiating committee. I'll let posters decide who is a fringe player:
"The NHLPA Negotiating Committee consists 31 NHL players who represent a broad cross-section of union members. There is an unprecedented level of member involvement in the current CBA process, driven by the NHLPA’s new player-written Constitution, and a desire to build upon the sacrifices and lessons learned by past generations.

NHLPA members are encouraged to and are frequently attending bargaining sessions. Regional player meetings are being held on a regular basis and recaps are made available throughout the negotiating process, ensuring that players are aware of developments.

NHLPA Negotiating Committee:

Craig Adams
Adrian Aucoin
Alex Auld
David Backes
Marty Biron
Brad Boyes
Chris Campoli
B.J. Crombeen
Mathieu Darche
Rick DiPietro
Brandon Dubinsky
Ruslan Fedotenko
Alex Goligoski
Ron Hainsey
Scott Hartnell
Jamie Langenbrunner
Manny Malhotra
Steve Montador
Dominic Moore
Brendan Morrison
Douglas Murray
George Parros
Chris Phillips
Cory Schneider
John Tavares
Shea Weber
Kevin Westgarth
Dan Winnik
James Wisniewski
Henrik Zetterberg
Wheres Crosby? He always seems front and center or is that just in media shots? as the face of the players?

Old
12-10-2012, 08:07 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Just to play "Devil's Advocate"....

All 30 owners DID vote in favor of the Lockout
Of course they did. They needed to. But they arent all involved in the lockout for the same issues. Nor are they all requiring certain things etc.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by averyrule View Post
No wonder they are having trouble choosing a location for the next negotiations. How in the hell do they fit all those guys in the room? Isn't that a fire hazard or something?
i don't know who tweeted it, or quoted it. but earlier today i read that the nhlpa does not have an office any more in new york. my question is what the heck happened to the office?

Old
12-10-2012, 08:10 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
A list of the NHLPA negotiating committee. I'll let posters decide who is a fringe player:
"The NHLPA Negotiating Committee consists 31 NHL players who represent a broad cross-section of union members. There is an unprecedented level of member involvement in the current CBA process, driven by the NHLPA’s new player-written Constitution, and a desire to build upon the sacrifices and lessons learned by past generations.

NHLPA members are encouraged to and are frequently attending bargaining sessions. Regional player meetings are being held on a regular basis and recaps are made available throughout the negotiating process, ensuring that players are aware of developments.

NHLPA Negotiating Committee:

Craig Adams
Adrian Aucoin
Alex Auld

David Backes
Marty Biron
Brad Boyes
Chris Campoli
B.J. Crombeen
Mathieu Darche
Rick DiPietro
Brandon Dubinsky
Ruslan Fedotenko
Alex Goligoski

Ron Hainsey
Scott Hartnell
Jamie Langenbrunner
Manny Malhotra
Steve Montador
Dominic Moore
Brendan Morrison
Douglas Murray
George Parros
Chris Phillips
Cory Schneider
John Tavares
Shea Weber

Kevin Westgarth
Dan Winnik
James Wisniewski
Henrik Zetterberg
I don't recall hearing from the bolded at all during the lockout - although, I know Tavares went overseas. It seems like the negotiating committee has become dominated by a handful of loudmouths.

There are also other guys - like Toews and Jamal Mayers - who have been vocal about the lockout but aren't on the negotiating committee.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:10 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Sure. The players on the committee don't support Fehr. Now you're really stretching.
I gave you at least 20 names. Now can you give me more than Hamrlik and Neuvirth?
Being on a negotiating committee doesn't suggest the player leans one way or the other. It suggests they are on a negotiating committee.

12-10-2012, 08:11 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
IMO you can't declare anyone to believe one way or the other if they haven't spoken up. All you can do is say it's safe to assume that there are those among the silent folks who believe one way, and those who believe the other. How many of each is anyone's guess. The only way to know for sure is to put a proposal to a vote.
Not really. The players in the past have never been shy about speaking out on this issue.Anyone who has followed previous lockouts can attest to this. I'm not sure why so many posters feel that they know what the players are thinking. Some, not directed at you, seem to be trying to reflect their own personal views on the players. So far all we know is that public dissension is almost nil. Could there be a big brewing backlash ready to surface? Sure it's a remote possibility. Just not very likely, IMO. If a lot of players were upset with the committee they would be spaking out. Don't forget that the players hired Fehr. They knew they were getting a person who was a hardliner.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:12 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac1313 View Post
Wheres Crosby? He always seems front and center or is that just in media shots? as the face of the players?
Anyone on the players side can attend the meetings.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Anyone on the players side can attend the meetings.
apparently, considering half of the negotiating committee is over seas playing hockey at the moment.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:13 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Not really. The players in the past have never been shy about speaking out on this issue.Anyone who has followed previous lockouts can attest to this. I'm not sure why so many posters feel that they know what the players are thinking. Some, not directed at you, seem to be trying to reflect their own personal views on the players. So far all we know is that public dissension is almost nil. Could there be a big brewing backlash ready to surface? Sure it's a remote possibility. Just not very likely, IMO. If a lot of players were upset with the committee they would be spaking out. Don't forget that the players hired Fehr. They knew they were getting a person who was a hardliner.
The players have never had a way of making statements like they do today with Twitter. Its just not the fair to compare the battlefield of this lockout to any previous ones.

Think of it this way.

Theres 5 people behind a wall. One runs out from behind the wall and gets shot dead. What are the other 4 going to do?

Old
12-10-2012, 08:14 PM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

Quote:
Staying cohesive as a group (regardless of the situation, no matter how bad of an idea it was) really worked well in '04-'05 so they thought, let's do it again!

Old
12-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Think of it this way.

Theres 5 people behind a wall. One run out from behind the wall and gets shot dead. What are the other 4 going to do?
run out obviously.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:17 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince2012 View Post
Staying cohesive as a group (regardless of the situation, no matter how bad of an idea it was) really worked well in '04-'05 so they thought, let's do it again!
Good point. Actually it worked out very well for those who stayed around. The players did very well.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:18 PM
vanwest

Quote:
The players have never had a way of making statements like they do today with Twitter. Its just not the fair to compare the battlefield of this lockout to any previous ones.

Think of it this way.

Theres 5 people behind a wall. One runs out from behind the wall and gets shot dead. What are the other 4 going to do?
Ask Trevor Linden if the players never had the ability to speak out in the past.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
I'm not sure why so many posters feel that they know what the players are thinking.
Wouldn't that apply to the statement, "Almost all players seem to support this," then?

Old
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
I figure they will cancel the season on Jan 1st?
I'd rather say around mid January would be a possible drop dead date. The 1994–95 lockout ended on Jan 11th that also had a 48 game schedule.

Old
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Good point. Actually it worked out very well for those who stayed around. The players did very well.
and as recchi and a few other ex nhl players have said about the past lockout and following there own leader like cattle, just accept the deal and play again no matter what the owners/gms will find a way to keep paying you more and more money.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:20 PM
vanwest

Quote:
apparently, considering half of the negotiating committee is over seas playing hockey at the moment.
Still waiting for that huge groundswell of opposition to the NHLPA that I keep hearing about on here. With all of those twitter accounts there must be a lot of examples out there. LOL!

Closed Thread