HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

WJC Tournament Predictions

Old
12-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Leehh

vCash: 500
http://www.iihf.com/competition/292/statistics.html
http://www.iihf.com/channels1112/wm20/statistics.html

Just to remind you guys from last years U18 and U20 tournament, if you look how them individuals has developed through out the summer/season and who has best role players the final game will be Canada - Russia/Finland (slight edge to russians here).

Leehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
http://www.iihf.com/competition/292/statistics.html
http://www.iihf.com/channels1112/wm20/statistics.html

Just to remind you guys from last years U18 and U20 tournament, if you look how them individuals has developed through out the summer/season and who has best role players the final game will be Canada - Russia/Finland (slight edge to russians here).
eh.. I wouldn't use Russian U18 history, until this year, the team has been drowned in corruption unfortunately.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:57 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
I think the Slovaks are going to surprise everyone and take bronze

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:04 PM
czechcanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
I think the Slovaks are going to surprise everyone and take bronze
uuummm as much as i like the slovaks.. cause im part czech.. its not gonna happen for them this year. not having tvrdon and gernat is a horrible loss for them. yes they still have some good players like koys dano and reway but is that gonna be enough to upset sweden, finland, usa, or czechs? dont think soo..

czechcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:06 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
I'm pretty sure you had similar feelings last year about how dynamic that team would be. Didn't you say last year that one of the strengths of the US roster was their defense before the tournament? To which I only have to say Clendening. Wasn't Saad someone you thought would be a force for the team? I know you didn't like some CHL omissions, but you thought Blais would guide that team to victory.

Sorry, I'm not meaning to pick on you. This isn't directed at you, but many people picked USA to be a medalist last year and several had them pegged for gold. All I read prior to the tournament was how Jack Campbell was going to be a brick wall that would shut down everyone. Obviously, everything that can go wrong did. It was as bad as Canada in 1998.

By no means am I suggesting that USA will suffer through that type of embarrassment again this year, but I think there is a tad too much overhyping of them. Again, that is not directed at you. I think you are a reasonable poster. You have them slotted below Russia and Canada with a belief that they can still come together and win in the end.

I don't think there is a massive gap between Sweden, Finland and USA. There is a bigger gap between Canada and Russia and those 3 nations though. However, anything can happen in a tournament. All any team needs to succeed is great chemistry and great goaltending.
could have saved you a lot of typing ...this isnt last year....pretty darn simple as that...

overhyping? ahahahaha what the hell are you talking about? who is overhyping them?

..and the funny part is Canada hasnt won gold since 09-10....yet you seem to dismiss that fact pretty easily...

Last edited by AmericanDream: 12-10-2012 at 08:12 PM.
AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:08 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
True enough. There is a lot of turnover, which should happen after a big let down. Not quite hockey summit, national crisis like Canada.

However, I'm seeing some of the same rhetoric about this year's US squad. Some are saying that Gibson might be the best goaltender in the tournament already. Many are saying that both the high end talent and depth are as good as ever.

Personally I see as big a drop off as ever after the top 3-4 forwards and top two D. I'm sure a few players will surprise me. I just feel that for USA to medal, they are going to have to out will their opponents more than out skill them this year. Great depth on paper isn't always a recipe for success. The 2006 squad was as deep of a roster as the US has produced and they couldn't come together.

I don't see USA winning the pool in the round robin against both Canada and Russia. Any team going through the QF round has a hard time winning with two top seeds lying in wait and rested for the game the next day. I'm not sure if a third seed has ever won gold or even made the gold medal game, but I'd imagine it would be a very rare ocurance. Second place in the round robin might be the best seeding to aim for. You would have a QF and SF against the other pool, which is perceived to be weaker. However, that remains to be seen.
heard the same crap in 2010 as well....

again, I am glad you dont see the US making out on top, but you do have to play these games on actual ice...and I cant wait to see how everything unfolds.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
True enough. There is a lot of turnover, which should happen after a big let down. Not quite hockey summit, national crisis like Canada.

However, I'm seeing some of the same rhetoric about this year's US squad. Some are saying that Gibson might be the best goaltender in the tournament already. Many are saying that both the high end talent and depth are as good as ever.

Personally I see as big a drop off as ever after the top 3-4 forwards and top two D. I'm sure a few players will surprise me. I just feel that for USA to medal, they are going to have to out will their opponents more than out skill them this year. Great depth on paper isn't always a recipe for success. The 2006 squad was as deep of a roster as the US has produced and they couldn't come together.

I don't see USA winning the pool in the round robin against both Canada and Russia. Any team going through the QF round has a hard time winning with two top seeds lying in wait and rested for the game the next day. I'm not sure if a third seed has ever won gold or even made the gold medal game, but I'd imagine it would be a very rare ocurance. Second place in the round robin might be the best seeding to aim for. You would have a QF and SF against the other pool, which is perceived to be weaker. However, that remains to be seen.

One difference was that Campbell was fairly mediocre in the OHL, whereas Gibson has been great. Of course he's hurt now so who knows.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Snippit

I think the U.S may just surprise some people. If Gibson gets comfortable, he can steal games. I could see them taking Bronze, maybe even Silver (wouldn't bet on it, though).

Snippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:21 PM
MastuhNinks

Gold - Canada
Silver - Russia
Bronze - Finland

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:24 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Group A:

Finland
Sweden
Switzerland

Czech Republic
Latvia

Group B:

Canada
Slovakia
Russia

United States
Germany

QF
Sweden vs Russia
Switzerland vs Slovakia

SF
Canada vs Sweden
Finland vs Slovakia

Bronze
Sweden vs Slovakia

Final
Canada vs Finland

Hard to bet against Canada this year, though I think Finland will make it close.

Just to clarify, the format is
QF1: A2 vs B3
QF2: B2 vs A3

SF1: A1 vs (B2 or A3)
SF2: B1 vs (A2 or B3)

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:28 PM
flyers28giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
I think the U.S may just surprise some people. If Gibson gets comfortable, he can steal games. I could see them taking Bronze, maybe even Silver (wouldn't bet on it, though).
I agree, If Gibson stays healthy and stays calm he could be a key player for this team and be the difference between this U.S. team getting a medal or not getting a medal.

flyers28giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Snippit

Could somebody shed some light on the Slovak roster, and tell me why people are ranking them so high? Last I heard, they were missing their top players to injuries.

Snippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:10 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers28giroux View Post
I agree, If Gibson stays healthy and stays calm he could be a key player for this team and be the difference between this U.S. team getting a medal or not getting a medal.
this is pretty much all any of us have really said about team USA....I think we have a solid shot at a medal, but Gibson needs to be the guy that helps us get there...no dillusions of grandeur going on here...

Old
12-10-2012, 09:24 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

gold canada
silver russia
bronze finland
4th sweeden
5th usa

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Statsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
Could somebody shed some light on the Slovak roster, and tell me why people are ranking them so high? Last I heard, they were missing their top players to injuries.
Ranking them high? I've heard almost no mention of them at all. Many teams are experiencing deeper rosters than usual so I expect them to have a very tough time of it. Particularly as they are with Canada, Russia, and the US in the "group of death".

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
could have saved you a lot of typing ...this isnt last year....pretty darn simple as that...

overhyping? ahahahaha what the hell are you talking about? who is overhyping them?

..and the funny part is Canada hasnt won gold since 09-10....yet you seem to dismiss that fact pretty easily...
I could have saved typing as well by simply quoting how wrong you were in assessing the team last year. I'm not comparing squads, just your slightly rose colored glasses.

I said a tad overhyping, as in a couple notches too high. No one or few are calling gold and a walk through. I have USA slightly below Sweden and Finland as I believe they have more high end skill and the tournament is in Russia. You have said differently..."Every team has strengths and has their flaws, but looking at the US team, and the number of skilled players they have top down, I do find it odd how they are getting ranked below Sweden and Finland who simply are not on their overall talent level. ..."

I just don't agree on your overall talent statement.

What's there to dismiss? Canada was in the Gold medal games 2 of those years and missed the finals last year in a one goal loss to a team they outshot 56-24. Should I remind you that I am probably against the grain of general Canadian opinion in that I have Russia as the favorite?

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Gold: Russia
Silver: United States
Bronze: Canada

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Gold: Canada
Silver: Russia
Bronze: United States

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
heard the same crap in 2010 as well....

again, I am glad you dont see the US making out on top, but you do have to play these games on actual ice...and I cant wait to see how everything unfolds.
The 2010 team came together really well. I still don't think they were the most skilled that year. Just look at how many players have moved on to the NHL. That final was as close as I've seen. Back and forth with an OT win, but great job on getting it done. It's too bad Schenn played with a separated shoulder, but injuries happen every year.

I'm looking forward to how it unfolds too. There are 6 better than average teams to make it interesting. Plus a bottom 4 could always throw a wrench in everyone's predictions. You never know if a Conz is going to come in and steal a game.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
One difference was that Campbell was fairly mediocre in the OHL, whereas Gibson has been great. Of course he's hurt now so who knows.
His backup in Kitchener has better stats. I realize he might not face the top opponents as Gibson though. However, he didn't even get an invite to Team Canada's selection camp and his coach is Team Canada's coach. I'm not saying he is on par with Gibson, but am simply saying the team in front of him is pretty good.

I hope Gibson has a stellar tournament, just not at Canada's expense. Hopefully Spott has the book on him.

It would be pretty amazing if all 3 of Russia, Canada and USA medaled, but as it has happened once in 17 years, it is a long shot.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:57 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
His backup in Kitchener has better stats. I realize he might not face the top opponents as Gibson though. However, he didn't even get an invite to Team Canada's selection camp and his coach is Team Canada's coach. I'm not saying he is on par with Gibson, but am simply saying the team in front of him is pretty good.

I hope Gibson has a stellar tournament, just not at Canada's expense. Hopefully Spott has the book on him.

It would be pretty amazing if all 3 of Russia, Canada and USA medaled, but as it has happened once in 17 years, it is a long shot.
He may have a good team in front of him. That doesn't change the fact that he's played well all year, whereas last year Campbell came in struggling.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:26 AM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
He may have a good team in front of him. That doesn't change the fact that he's played well all year, whereas last year Campbell came in struggling.
Nor does the fact that Campbell came in struggling change how heralded he was going into the tournament.

That was the original context of this. Hype vs reality. Campbell was the golden boy who could do no wrong. He doesn't deserve all the blame last year. That D was putrid at times. He hasn't exactly excelled though since that tournament. Just maybe he isn't as good as advertised.

I see some American posters claiming Gibson is the best goalie in the tournament already. This is a deep year for goalies. Russia has 2 amazing guys and Subban is regarded as the most athletic of the bunch. Those are the 2 main pool opponents. No one team looks to have an overwhelming advantage in net.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:49 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
I'm really liking the US squad his year. Gonna make a bold prediction and say they take the gold.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 04:58 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Nor does the fact that Campbell came in struggling change how heralded he was going into the tournament.

That was the original context of this. Hype vs reality. Campbell was the golden boy who could do no wrong. He doesn't deserve all the blame last year. That D was putrid at times. He hasn't exactly excelled though since that tournament. Just maybe he isn't as good as advertised.

I see some American posters claiming Gibson is the best goalie in the tournament already. This is a deep year for goalies. Russia has 2 amazing guys and Subban is regarded as the most athletic of the bunch. Those are the 2 main pool opponents. No one team looks to have an overwhelming advantage in net.
I wasn't commenting on what people thought of Campbell. He had a poor tournament, and the signs of it were clear coming in. Whether people wanted to read those signs or not I don't know. Gibson on the other hand is having an extremely good season and his likely backup Sparks is having almost as good a year.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Muuri

I think we're going to win that group stage game vs. Sweden. Don't know about the rest.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote