HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

John Michael-Liles

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Morlesio14*

vCash: 500
John Michael-Liles

What would you offer for JML?

The leafs really wouldn't mind a right handed Dman.

And not Luke Schenn.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post

And not Luke Schenn.
If you are saying you would rather Liles over Schenn, you are crazy. And why would we deal him, he likes the city, good guy, and was beast before concussion.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:09 PM
MastuhNinks

He was on pace to be one of the top offensive defensemen in the league pre-concussion (~50 point pace IIRC), but he was atrocious post-concussion. Other teams should not want to trade for him at risk that they get the latter, and Toronto should not be willing to give him away for peanuts just in case he returns to being the former. Most likely he'll be somewhere in between, but that's how I see it in terms of value. Just a player that makes no sense to trade right now.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:12 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

Every part of you wants to keep him. He is a stud on the powerplay.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Decent top 4 d-man. I think a late 1st round pick(25-30th range) is probably a fair value for him.

And plzz, I hope nobody actually brings up the 2nd round pick excuse that he was traded for a year ago.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Morlesio14*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
If you are saying you would rather Liles over Schenn, you are crazy. And why would we deal him, he likes the city, good guy, and was beast before concussion.
I'd rather have more of a defensive Dman instead. Yes i would prefer schenn over liles but I wouldn't want him back on the club. With Rielly coming up, Gardiner and Percy both puck movers we could use a defensive Dman to help out Matt Finn as well

Old
12-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
I'd rather have more of a defensive Dman instead. Yes i would prefer schenn over liles but I wouldn't want him back on the club. With Rielly coming up, Gardiner and Percy both puck movers we could use a defensive Dman to help out Matt Finn as well
If we could flip Liles for L.Schenn, I would do it in a second. Schenn is going to be a rock for Philly, just hope JVR at least shows up.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:39 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
If we could flip Liles for L.Schenn, I would do it in a second. Schenn is going to be a rock for Philly, just hope JVR at least shows up.
Plus he'll likely have lots of chemistry with his brother.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:21 PM
JKsilverstick*

There is zero chance that Liles is traded, nor should he be.

He was just signed at a discount to be here.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:58 AM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
Plus he'll likely have lots of chemistry with his brother.
A forward and a defenseman's "chemistry" probably has less impact on the ice than you think..

Quote:
Why do you think he'll be a rock for Philadelphia? He was pretty bad in 3 of his 4 seasons as a Leaf; is there something in the drinking water in Philadelphia that will make him a better hockey player?

Old
12-11-2012, 01:08 AM
PAZ

Late 1st if a GM is desperate, most likely a 2nd. Liles was shopped at the trade deadline and offseason with the Avs, and this is when he was healthy. He's a solid PMD, but it seems like most GMs don't want to give up much for him. His size doesn't make him as effective in the post-season.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
A forward and a defenseman's "chemistry" probably has less impact on the ice than you think..

Why do you think he'll be a rock for Philadelphia? He was pretty bad in 3 of his 4 seasons as a Leaf; is there something in the drinking water in Philadelphia that will make him a better hockey player?
Wrong, he was good in 2 out of his 4 seasons as a Leaf. His rookie year and the year after his sophomore year.

I think people are writing him too early, like all young d-man, Schenn is just 22 and he is still developing, he has his ups and downs but we all have seen what he can do. The main thing for Schenn going forward is to improve his decision making and learn to to be consistent. If he can to improve on those qualities( and I for one think he will), then watch out.

And also, Flyers is a much much better team than the Leafs, with their supporting cast, he will flourish in Philly.

It's just a matter of time before he becomes one of the better shutdown d-man league-wide.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:24 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
Griffin Reinhart.

Counter offer: Reilly for Vis.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
And plzz, I hope nobody actually brings up the 2nd round pick excuse that he was traded for a year ago.
But isn't it just hilarious that JML wasn't worth a late 1st when he was an Av but is as a Leaf?

Guy gets criminally underrated throughout his career, he needs a solid shutdown defender to pair with because Liles bites the big one when he's asked to do anything physical, but his defensive positioning is effective and his offensive game is great.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
But isn't it just hilarious that JML wasn't worth a late 1st when he was an Av but is as a Leaf?

Guy gets criminally underrated throughout his career, he needs a solid shutdown defender to pair with because Liles bites the big one when he's asked to do anything physical, but his defensive positioning is effective and his offensive game is great.
Lol, wat your talking about? I heard many many Avs fans claiming they would likely get 1st + B prospect or so just around before he was traded. Your kidding if you think we are overrating his value, a late 1st would be fair.

I think many Leafs fans see Liles as a temporary piece, a solid PP QB with good offensive game(not great) and adequate enough defensively.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Lol, wat your talking about? I heard many many Avs fans claiming they would likely get 1st + B prospect or so just around before he was traded. Your kidding if you think we are overrating his value, a late 1st would be fair.

I think many Leafs fans see Liles as a temporary piece, a solid PP QB with good offensive game(not great) and adequate enough defensively.
That's my point, Avs fans proclaimed his value to be around that of a 1st (I don't recall many saying the prospect part tbh). We were told he wasn't that good and only worth a 2nd.

He gets dealt to the Leafs for a 2nd round pick, doesn't get any better (if anything, got worse due to the concussion) and he's now worth what we originally said he was?

Just find it funny.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
That's my point, Avs fans proclaimed his value to be around that of a 1st (I don't recall many saying the prospect part tbh). We were told he wasn't that good and only worth a 2nd.

He gets dealt to the Leafs for a 2nd round pick, doesn't get any better (if anything, got worse due to the concussion) and he's now worth what we originally said he was?

Just find it funny.
Not really.

People were stating it was 1st and a B or c level prospect, we ended up bartering Boston's second rounder for him. A healthy Liles is golden for us and excellent for what we gave up since we got a solid return for Kaberle and he has taken his spot quite well if not improved compared to what Kaberle had become with us. You are making it sound like it was a career ending concussion. He was picking up steam towards the end, which was good for us although way too late as the entire team had done the damage. It was pretty obvious he hastily came back to our team from his injury due to funk that was happening at the time.

As for the value of Liles. I'd want a B style prospect or a second round pick with a possible project prospect who has good potential. He's also on a good contract that's not hindering so he should be easy to move if we finally get another PMD for our powerplay from our prospect system, till then I see him sticking it out with us for a while.

12-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Didn't mean to sound like it was a career ending concussion, just put that snippet it to preclude anyone from telling me he has been better as a Leaf than an Av. I don't expect it'll be anything bad, especially after a lockout to heal up.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Drij

Funny that you still think he is worth anything.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:57 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

And not Luke Schenn.
With his contract he's probably unmovable.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Nihiliste

I demand that you guys return him to us

Old
12-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Jax Teller

Quote:

Just find it funny.
I believe when Liles signed a 4-year contract extension at a discount 3.875 million dollar cap hit, he gained a small amount of value. When Liles was originally traded to the Leafs he had a single season left, at 4.2 million, so basically he was a rental.

I wouldn't say Liles got worse as a Maple Leaf, he was on a 45/50 point pace through the first 35/40 games before he was sidelined with a concussion. He was certainly worse when he came back, but so was the team as a whole and with all this extra rest I don't think there is a chance it's still lingering by the time hockey starts.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Ricky Bobby

Liles replacing Kaberle on the powerplay last season is the # 1 reason the Leafs powerplay was so much better last season.

The Leafs need to keep him around for the time being.

If the Leafs are looking to replace any offensive Dman it needs to be Franson.

Anyways for the purposes of this thread I peg his value at what Kyle Quincey went for which is a late 1st.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Liles replacing Kaberle on the powerplay last season is the # 1 reason the Leafs powerplay was so much better last season.

The Leafs need to keep him around for the time being.

If the Leafs are looking to replace any offensive Dman it needs to be Franson.

Anyways for the purposes of this thread I peg his value at what Kyle Quincey went for which is a late 1st.
Well, and Gardiner's breakout season.
I'd say keep him for now
AGREE.
About that, yup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
I demand that you guys return him to us
Fine, we'll do it for Landeskog, but then you want King Bozak, and then you have to give up the rest of your team. So I guess we can't.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:44 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:

Just find it funny.
He also only had one year on his contract at 4.25m. He is now signed to longer term and for less money.

what happened with the pick we traded to you guys? Actually i believe Brandon Saad was selected with that pick... what did you trade it to Chicago for?

Closed Thread