HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout XXVI: 57 Hockey Channels (And Nothin' On)

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 10:18 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasybaseballchamp View Post
Every time I've heard Paul Kelly speak about the lockout he's said the players should get their contracts paid out as they were promised. The NHL may have been more likely to compromise with him, I suppose, I'm not sure there would have been a full season though. The NHL's plan from the get-go was likely some kind of lockout to see how much they could get back.
If the NHLPA had negotiated earlier they might have stalled the cap at $65-66m for 2012-13. That's about 52-53% and 1-2 raise over the previous $64m cap. With the cap set at $65-66m teams would have not been able to spend to $70m and created the artificial bubble that only existed between July and Sept. A season at $65-66m would work for the players and the owners, while the owners phase down to 50% the players would not have any rollbacks or extra escrow payments and get raises every year even if the percentage of HRR goes down.

I'd also bet Bettman would have been prepared to go to higher than 5/7 years in 2010 if he could have stopped cap avoidance contracts. The NHLPA knew this and they could have used that to their advantage during the previous CBA, cutting a deal that was more generous to the NHLPA on the proviso it carried into the next CBA.

They waited until the CBA expired believe have unlimited contracts years and a bloated imaginary $70m cap would be to their advantage. IMHO a miscalculation to think Bettman would negotiated down from there since in the end Bettman decided that he was starting from scratch on both those issues since the NHLPA had no leverage without a CBA.

If you have a bucket of water and the guy you are dealing with is slowly dying of thirst, exploit it and get more of his gold. If you wait until he's back at the oasis and pissed at you, you're bucket of water isn't worth anything.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Ugh. Leave the Olympics alone. The NHL would be shooting themselves in the foot, I know a lot of people (Mostly from Virginia) who became converted hockey fans during the last games.

12-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasybaseballchamp View Post
Him speculating that a minority of the players would vote against Fehr somehow implies that Fehr doesn't have a majority of players behind him? 200 players is about 1 quarter of the union.
I was quoting someone who declared that 95% would vote no and that there it total unity.

An actual player, who speaks with other players, speculates that about 200 player would vote yes shoots that assumption given as fact down pretty quick.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Gibson Les Palms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
Mark Spector from www.sportsnet.ca is reporting the next meeting is Wednesday, undisclosed location.
Chicago?

edit: Spector says he doesn't think so

Old
12-10-2012, 10:23 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

The problem with the Olympics is the ridiculous time difference in places like Sochi and Nagano. The Olympics are great for viewing when they're in USA ('02) or Canada ('10) but you can't have the games there every time.

At this point I'd rather not hear anything about a meeting, location or proposals. Just put the wall up and get the deal done, the only times they made any progress is when things weren't leaking.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:24 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
Chicago?
Toronto maybe? Yeah, i feel CHicago though too ahha

Old
12-10-2012, 10:24 PM
CerebralGenesis

I was an optimist, but I don't think they will get a deal done this week.

And I suspect the owners have run out of incentives so they'll turn to negative reinforcement instead. Sign soon or Olympics. Sounds like a terrible plan.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Hamrlik interview:

Old
12-10-2012, 10:32 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post

And I suspect the owners have run out of incentives so they'll turn to negative reinforcement instead. Sign soon or Olympics. Sounds like a terrible plan.
If there's no NHL and players are still locked out next year (a good possibility if this thing goes 3 more weeks and decertification happens), then who cares what the NHL has to say about the Olympics.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:34 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post

The owners really shouldn't threaten to take that off the table, it's one of the few things they can 'give' the players without having to cough up cash to do it. I realize they don't want their players playing an additional five-seven competitive games but once every four years is a small price to pay. Plus it's another way to get exposure overseas besides those stupid season-opening games in Finland or Sweden, wherever.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:36 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
If there's no NHL and players are still locked out next year (a good possibility if this thing goes 3 more weeks and decertification happens), then who cares what the NHL has to say about the Olympics.
Well, if a decert happened to take place, I would assume they would be playing NHL hockey next year and any player under contract wouldn't be able to leave the league to play in the Olympics unless the NHL shut itself down, which it won't.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:40 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Hopefully it doesn't get there and that isn't quite what I said. I can bullet point it for you if you want?

• Lockout occurring (not a strike)
• League has tried giving players what they want but Fehr changes the goalposts every time
• League decides it is time to try a new tactic: threaten no Olympics in the CBA if they don’t sign soon.

If any of that is true, then Wednesday is toast. If the Olympics being removed is true in any form, the season is toast.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:41 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
The owners really shouldn't threaten to take that off the table, it's one of the few things they can 'give' the players without having to cough up cash to do it. I realize they don't want their players playing an additional five-seven competitive games but once every four years is a small price to pay. Plus it's another way to get exposure overseas besides those stupid season-opening games in Finland or Sweden, wherever.
I agree. It's great for hockey exposure. I might be pulling fluff from my butt, but that's half of twitter anyway so what's the difference?

Old
12-10-2012, 10:42 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
The problem with the Olympics is the ridiculous time difference in places like Sochi and Nagano. The Olympics are great for viewing when they're in USA ('02) or Canada ('10) but you can't have the games there every time.

At this point I'd rather not hear anything about a meeting, location or proposals. Just put the wall up and get the deal done, the only times they made any progress is when things weren't leaking.
It's better for viewing when you are forced to wake up at 3 AM. Nagano was da bomb. The 9 hour time difference seems to make the hockey times more manageable than Nagano's 14.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:50 PM
FakeKidPoker*

Good, hopefully they get rid of the Olympics and just have their own World Cup.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:53 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

NHL/NHLPA slated to resume talks Wednesday, sources on both sides say. Location unknown at this point.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:54 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Hey, Orpheus!

lebrun says they are meeting on wednesday. source: twitter
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/...60931925377024

Old
12-10-2012, 10:54 PM
IcemanTBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

NHL/NHLPA slated to resume talks Wednesday, sources on both sides say. Location unknown at this point.
Just heard that as well.. ready for another rollercoaster on Wedsnday?

Old
12-10-2012, 10:55 PM
BostonBruins92
Closer to the Sun

My finals study week starts on Wednesday. Just in time to not study!

Old
12-10-2012, 10:58 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Hey, Orpheus!

apparently it is in new york according to josh rimer

Old
12-10-2012, 11:00 PM
CK17

The issues are so tiny, they have to get a deal done.

CBA length? Why the PA is even fighting this boggles the mind. A shorter CBA makes absolutely zero sense for the players.

Contract terms? Right now it's basically 7 years in the NHL offer because anybody worth a damn will sign and trade to get the extra 2 years. PA wants 8, just take the 7.

Variance - Only part where they are far apart. NHL wants 5%, PA wants 75%. NHL isn't going to budge.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Gibson Les Palms

I'll still have two more finals on Thursday and Friday. This will certainly challenge me

Old
12-10-2012, 11:02 PM
CerebralGenesis

I am predicting a two hour seesaw hfboards before no progress is made and half the thread melts down.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:03 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Hey, Orpheus!

~15 players and the fehr brothers vs bettman/daly plus lawyers
yeah i don't see this being constructive

Old
12-10-2012, 11:04 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
apparently it is in new york according to josh rimer
tell Fehr and Bettman it's in NY. Tell everyone else it's in Chicago.

Closed Thread