HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brendan Smith

Old
12-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Wingsfan2965*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKsilverstick View Post
Personally, I don't think it was (then again, I don't think that was really the offer). But obviously it was, because that was the trade chosen.

And Columbus always makes good decisions!

This is unreal. Pick your three out of four with Franzen/Filppula/Smith/Nyquist and add in a pick. That's far and away a better deal than Erixon/Dubinsky/Anisimov/Pick.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Wolverine Wings
#thankyoubasedgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Kronwall is a LD, the point was on his first callup on the west coast Smith played RD. He also has done it with Janik down in Grand Rapids. I think he is a little better on the left, but he can play both sides, he does have that versatility. Where Babcock really seems to dislike this is the PP. Part of why White and Sammy will get run out at right point this year if it ever happens.
I typically define guys by what they are better at, like I consider Ericsson a LD even though he has proven to be capable on both sides.

Or how I consider Fil a LW even though he is typically billed as a C, and does a pretty good job whenever he has played Center.

To each his own.

Last edited by Wolverine Wings: 12-10-2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: changing for approiateness i guess?
Wolverine Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JKsilverstick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Ericsson got 17 a night, two of that being PK time Smith wouldn't get. Kindl got 15 a night.

And no, with Lidstrom and Kronwall QBing PP's Smith likely wouldn't have been on the PP. White goes with Lidstrom because of the right handed shot. Kronwall gets a forward. (Which I'm not a fan of, but Babcock has been doing it for years)
Smith would have got PP time that Ericsson didn't, so we are looking at 17 minutes per night. That is more than enough, and a better development path than yet another year stagnating in the AHL.

As for PP,

Lidstrom-White
Kronwall-Smith

He got 1:45 of PP time/game in his first 14 games. I'm not sure why you think he wouldn't get the same or even more as time goes on.

JKsilverstick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Jurco and Pulkkinen (God I wish) also were thought to be high on Columbus' list but Howson just wouldn't trade him in division.
I don't. Jury's out on Pulkkinen right now but I still like Jurco.

Plus with the way the new CBA's is looking, absorbing Nash's cap hit could've been damn near suicidal.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Smith would have got PP time that Ericsson didn't, so we are looking at 17 minutes per night. That is more than enough, and a better development path than yet another year stagnating in the AHL.

As for PP,

Lidstrom-White
Kronwall-Smith
Remember what I said about selective reading? You're doing it again. Babcock always puts a forward on the 2nd pairing.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:58 PM
JKsilverstick*

Quote:
And Columbus always makes good decisions!
They still have a guy who knows a hell of a lot more about the situation and the players involved than you, and is a greater hockey and business mind.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:59 PM
JKsilverstick*

Quote:
Remember what I said about selective reading? You're doing it again. Babcock always puts a forward on the 2nd pairing.
No, he doesn't. He has done it recently because it was the best option available. If Smith is there, a forward is no longer the best option (unless Smith sucks).

He got 1:45 of PP time/game in his first 14 games. I'm not sure why you think he wouldn't get the same or even more as time goes on.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:00 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
I don't. Jury's out on Pulkkinen right now but I still like Jurco.

Plus with the way the new CBA's is looking, absorbing Nash's cap hit could've been damn near suicidal.
Sorry you would remember maybe from the Wings page that I was never high on the Nash deal. I think he is very overrated. Good player, All-star player but not a superstar for me and that was the package they wanted in division and I just wouldn't pay it.

On Pulkkinen I am just not a fan, if we had to give up anyone prospect wise during last summer that was in the winger that were talked about he was the guy for me. Now that he has tanked the whole first half of the year I think they might regret how protective they have been over him. I understood some of the rumors being bad, but he is who I would move if teams out there are high on him and they want to make a move. Hate the way he skates and for as great as his shot is it hits the glass more than the net. If one of Frk and Pulkkinen makes it great, they are similar players in my opinion, probably don't need both.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
No, he doesn't. He has done it recently because it was the best option available.

You're hopeless.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:01 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
They still have a guy who knows a hell of a lot more about the situation and the players involved than you, and is a greater hockey and business mind.
Wait a minute you just questioned Babcock and Holland on this.

Quote:
Then he is a terrible coach, and Holland is a terrible GM, because you never make your team worse because "Oh, I'm not too happy about the contracts", whatever that means.

You can't say "Oh, well Smith SHOULD have made the team, so he is an NHL player". It doesn't work like that. You look at what he has done, and he has not done enough at the level he actually played to warrant his hype.

We just told you they made that decision, what would you call their hockey knowledge compared to yours?

Old
12-10-2012, 11:03 PM
Wolverine Wings
#thankyoubasedgod

Quote:
I don't know about that. Comparing the intellect of one person who you have never met to another person's intellect, who you also have not met, is a rather horrible example.

Wingsfan2965 could be a genius businessman with millions stashed away, while also having a love for Red Wings hockey for all you know.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:05 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MGoBlue2 View Post
I don't know about that. Comparing the intellect of one person who you have never met to another person's intellect, who you also have not met, is a rather horrible example.

Wingsfan2965 could be a genius businessman with millions stashed away, while also having a love for Red Wings hockey for all you know.
More like a college student that has wasted the better part of three hours arguing with an ignorant Leafs fan despite the fact that he has a 4-6 page paper due tomorrow morning.

FML.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Wolverine Wings
#thankyoubasedgod

Quote:

....If one of Frk and Pulkkinen makes it great, they are similar players in my opinion, probably don't need both.
Bit of a tangent, but I like Frk more than Pulk at this point. He has skated better this season and hasn't been hurt majorly this season (the two reasons why he fell out of the first round), while having a great shot and playing much harder than Pulk.

Old
VasDimops

Smith is a future stud.

I don't see Detroit dealing him, unless the return was an overpayment.

Detroit fans, enjoy this guy for years.

VasDimops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
More like a college student that has wasted the better part of three hours arguing with an ignorant Leafs fan despite the fact that he has a 4-6 page paper due tomorrow morning.

FML.
Well if you go to one of the instate schools you could just explain it to the prof. Chances are they hate the Leafs, especially if they are old enough to remember the good old days in division.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:07 PM
JKsilverstick*

Quote:

You're hopeless.

You're hopeless.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:08 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Bit of a tangent, but I like Frk more than Pulk at this point. He has skated better this season and hasn't been hurt majorly this season (the two reasons why he fell out of the first round), while having a great shot and playing much harder than Pulk.
As do I, although Frk really needs to work on discipline.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:09 PM
JKsilverstick*

Quote:
Wait a minute you just questioned Babcock and Holland on this.
I questioned their decision *IF* Smith was as good as you guys say.

Obviously, he is not as good as you guys say.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Wolverine Wings
#thankyoubasedgod

Quote:

FML.
HF Understatement of the year.

I kinda feel bad for Leafs fans if they have to put up with this. Then I remember they are Leafs fans and smile with sadistic glee.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:10 PM
JKsilverstick*

Quote:

No, I am quite positive that he is not.

Businessmen speak in a certain way and present themselves in a certain way. They also have a sense of logical thinking that is easy to see.

If he knew as much as the top people in business and hockey, then he would be a top person in business and hockey.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Well if you go to one of the instate schools you could just explain it to the prof. Chances are they hate the Leafs, especially if they are old enough to remember the good old days in division.
I'm going to school in Indiana, but my prof is from Michigan lol.

Quote:

You're hopeless.
Lidstrom was injured during Smith's stint, thus the spot opened. Educate yourself.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:11 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
I questioned their decision *IF* Smith was as good as you guys say.

Obviously, he is not as good as you guys say.
But they said he was. So tough logic man it does stink when somebody can basically quote your own argument against you enjoy.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Wolverine Wings
#thankyoubasedgod

Quote:
No, I am quite positive that he is not.

Businessmen speak in a certain way and present themselves in a certain way. They also have a sense of logical thinking that is easy to see.

If he knew as much as the top people in business and hockey, then he would be a top person in business and hockey.
There ya go, using them logic skills to yer advantage.

Perception =/= Reality. Basic logistical skill. Gotta realize that just because a guy acts a certain way, doesn't mean he IS a businessman.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:17 PM
JKsilverstick*

Quote:
Lidstrom was injured during Smith's stint, thus the spot opened. Educate yourself.
At which point they still had Kronwall, White and Quincey.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:18 PM
JKsilverstick*

Quote:
But they said he was. So tough logic man it does stink when somebody can basically quote your own argument against you enjoy.
No, they didn't. They said they liked him and saw big things in his future, which essentially every GM/coach/owner says about their top prospects.

What else are they going to say?