HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT Thread Part VII : Tips and Tricks Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 12:10 AM
SERE 24
LGR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Are we comparing flow now?

This is the only picture I have handy of me with my hair out after some chick drunkenly braided it.

And this is how I usually wear it.

Yes, I was giving my best friend some love...I was the one inebriated.
Well my flow is long gone and, so far, I was only able to find the one picture of it (my flow was pre-facebook age, for me). Yours is definitely alive and well by the look of it though. My hair never would have laid flat like yours though, and I always wanted it to. My hair gets wavy and a bit bushy when it grows out. I was never, personally, a big fan of the 'flownytail' either, for myself. As I mentioned above, the brief stint where it was long enough to put up (it's not in the one pic I provided) I did something more like a messy top-knot/bun thing. Never liked having the 'tail hanging though. Just didn't work for me.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
We can't all look like dweebs. I never really thought the Jason Pominville comment was very complimentary, but I liked it because I like him as a player. Not sure he's exactly someone I'd say I'd wish on a star to look like though...
False, for I most certainly look like a dweeb.

12-11-2012, 12:34 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
False, for I most certainly look like a dweeb.
Well so does Pommer, in my opinion, so if I look like him, maybe we're all distant goonish relations.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:39 AM
Cresto
Much .500

I've always just had medium length hair. It gets difficult when it's not long enough to be considered long. I don't like short hair all that much.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:53 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

I love having shorter hair. Takes about 30 seconds via air to dry.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:08 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
I love having shorter hair. Takes about 30 seconds via air to dry.
My hair practically comes out of the shower dry. I basically get a low skin fade, tapered up to a high, tight 1.5ish with a bit more on the top. I LOVE it. Most comfortable hair in the world and my girlfriend running her hand over the back of my head is like a massage because the bristles are so short. Also it's a million times more comfortable with the bucket on; having all that hair smushed inside my helmet sucks, and long hair gets on the visor and leaves sweat trails. Hats fit better. Sleeping is infinitely more comfortable as I never get that uncomfortable, over heated, too much hair feeling I would frequently get when growing my hair. I used to have to go in the bathroom, run the tap ice cold and soak all of my hair, when it was long, in order to be able to fall asleep on hot nights.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:20 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
My hair practically comes out of the shower dry. I basically get a low skin fade, tapered up to a high, tight 1.5ish with a bit more on the top. I LOVE it. Most comfortable hair in the world and my girlfriend running her hand over the back of my head is like a massage because the bristles are so short. Also it's a million times more comfortable with the bucket on; having all that hair smushed inside my helmet sucks, and long hair gets on the visor and leaves sweat trails. Hats fit better. Sleeping is infinitely more comfortable as I never get that uncomfortable, over heated, too much hair feeling I would frequently get when growing my hair. I used to have to go in the bathroom, run the tap ice cold and soak all of my hair, when it was long, in order to be able to fall asleep on hot nights.
I get a two on the sides and a 3 up top. Has this military look that I like a lot. Also, your point on hats was pretty big for me. I look much better in general (not that this is saying much. )

Old
12-11-2012, 02:21 AM
Cresto
Much .500

Has anyone seen Killem or did he change his username or something?

Old
12-11-2012, 02:32 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
I get a two on the sides and a 3 up top. Has this military look that I like a lot. Also, your point on hats was pretty big for me. I look much better in general (not that this is saying much. )
I like the military-esque look as well, but I basically do the same but then add some spice by getting the low skin-fade on the sides (it's not a huge difference, but it adds some... what's the word the kids are using? swag? ) and than start with about a 2.5/3 (I use the half sizes that don't really exist because my girlfriend's little bro is a barber and I make him meticulously hook me up exactly how I like it every time I see him) on the top, but let it taper slightly longer towards the middle so that I can kind of bunch it up like a subtle faux-hawk if I'm actually going to put gel in it. You'd never notice it's longer in the middle until I 'style' it. It's only maybe a half inch variance, but it's a compromise with the lady, who thinks it looks better if I can "do something" with it, rather than just have the straight military look 24/7.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:33 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
I like the military-esque look as well, but I basically do the same but then add some spice by getting the low skin-fade on the sides (it's not a huge difference, but it adds some... what's the word the kids are using? swag? ) and than start with about a 2.5/3 (I use the half sizes that don't really exist because my girlfriend's little bro is a barber and I make him meticulously hook me up exactly how I like it every time I see him) on the top, but let it taper slightly longer towards the middle so that I can kind of bunch it up like a subtle faux-hawk if I'm actually going to put gel in it. You'd never notice it's longer in the middle until I 'style' it. It's only maybe a half inch variance, but it's a compromise with the lady, who thinks it looks better if I can "do something" with it, rather than just have the straight military look 24/7.
My mother is a hair dresser/barber and all that jazz. Free hair cuts is a lovely perk.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:43 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
My mother is a hair dresser/barber and all that jazz. Free hair cuts is a lovely perk.
Mine was too

I was 20 the first time someone that wasn't my mom cut my hair.

And I was 25 when my girlfriend's bro got his barber's license. So I only paid for haircuts for five years of my life. Free haircuts is phenomenal, especially when you like to keep your hair short.

I have a pair of clippers and I'll (poorly) do my own hair if I don't see my girlfriend's bro for more than a few weeks.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:43 AM
mti79

I used to keep my hair really short until my then gf/now wife informed me that it would look better if I grew it out as shaggy hair is better and I apparently have a "weird shaped head". So glad I only exposed it for 25 years.... dammit.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:59 AM
SERE 24
LGR

I wouldn't sweat it. My girlfriend says the same thing, I just know she's wrong. I look good with short hair, she just prefers me with longer hair (in her mind - I haven't had long hair once in the 5+ years we're together) so she tries to tell me things like my head is shaped weird, etc. It could be, but if it is, it's not significant and she's just trying to get what she wants. I usually give it to her, but there's things you put your foot down on too.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:21 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

I LOVED having long hair. A shot of me with flow is my Twitter default these days (not my Rangers blog one I have advertised over my avy, but my personal Twitter account... do some digging if you're curious ).

The one thing I found with long hair, versus what I have been rocking since (3 on the sides and back, cut as short as possible on top... probably around an 8 but not buzzed), is that strangers expect you to be much more friendly. When I had long hair if I was walking around a shopping center or something I could tell that nobody had any trouble approaching me to ask for directions or help. These days, with the short hair, I'm back to being just another face in the crowd and nobody looks my way twice.

It was such an odd experience. At first I chalked it up to just random chance, but when it kept happening with my long hair I knew it was something else. I had a ton of fun growing it out my freshman year of college. Didn't get it cut from August 08 to July 09. Benefits of living in Buffalo though, when it gets to that awkward length it was easy enough to cover up with a snow hat

If you do decide to dig and look at my flow, that was from sophomore year. I only grew that for about 8 months (right after I got it cut in the first place, buzzed down to a 3 in July 09)

Old
12-11-2012, 09:14 AM
SERE 24
LGR

I could see that being a pretty accurate observation. No one approaches me ever, anyways because I'm more intimidating than George Parros and Paul Bissonette combined, but maybe the shorter hair aggravates the issue.

Or, back to reality. It turns out I'm not that approachable, unless I'm in an uncharacteristically joyous mood (thus visibly smiling) as I apparently natural scowl or look mean and unhappy. I'm literally trying to work on it but its kind of just how my face looks at rest. It's so uncomfortable, consciously trying to look 'not angry'. Everyone is always shocked that I'm real nice if they do engage me in a conversation, but I've been informed many times that, evidently, I scare people off without knowing it.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

I used to have Tyler Ennis flow. Trying again

Old
12-11-2012, 11:19 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Update in the life of Fish, Silver.

Just applied for a job at ESPN. Mom has a connect in there, so this could actually possibly work out

Don't get your hopes up fish...

(Love this picture)

Old
12-11-2012, 12:16 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
I used to have Tyler Ennis flow. Trying again
Tyler Ennis' face annoys the crud out of me. His flow is fine, so you're in the clear, but his face.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Hodgy OFWG
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Hodgy OFWG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
I think you'd look better with medium length hair.
I gel up my hair

Old
12-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

guys i have a new celebrity crush: nina dobrev

Old
12-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

I had a celebrity crush once. The Legal Jurisdiction of Los Angeles now requires me to stay at least 300 feet away.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Hodgy OFWG
New Season New Dream

oh my good jesus...........

Old
12-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

Quote:
I had a celebrity crush once. The Legal Jurisdiction of Los Angeles now requires me to stay at least 300 feet away.
who?

Old
12-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Cresto
Much .500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McDonut View Post
who?
The better question is who's not on the list.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Hodgy OFWG
New Season New Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o View Post
I gel up my hair
btw i'll upload a pic of how I do it tomorrow because I didn't do it right today

Closed Thread