HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Who here would like to see the NHL completely dissolve?

View Poll Results: Would you like to see the NHL crumble and see a new league created?
Yes 210 29.41%
No 504 70.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
Come on.

The main holdup of negotiations right now is whether the CBA will be 8 or 10 years, 5% variance and term length of contracts.

You seriously think that we are going to lose a season based those terms?

The NHL and the NHLPA are just trying to squeeze each other for the last bit of concession. I wouldn't be surprised to see a deal done next time the two sides meet.
Apparently he thinks we'll lose a league based on those terms.

It'll take a lot more than this lockout to bring down the league.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:47 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I think the tacit notion of a new league is that a lot of the same elements will remain but without Bettman and his window dressing franchises.
So if the league wants to contract teams they are obligated to pay the owners of the teams they took expansion fees from. This notion that the league could disband to subsequently reform with the exception of a few teams ( whose valuation would now be essentially zero) and not get sued out the wazoo seems incredibly unlikely to me, but I'm not a lawyer.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:04 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Patrick Harris View Post
Apparently he thinks we'll lose a league based on those terms.

It'll take a lot more than this lockout to bring down the league.
Maybe so, but this lockout could get the ball rolling. The NHL could possibly be put in a hole it may not be able to recover from.

I'm a fan of the Canadiens, not the NHL. The Canadiens will be around longer than the NHL.

I want a new league or a drastic change to what we have now.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:51 PM
JMROWE

Let me tell you somthing the NHL. will find away to survive but some of its markets will not because some of them where already fragile going into the lockout & some teams like the coyotes who are extremly weak won't survive the lockout & we could see some masive relocation over the next few years .

JMROWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:14 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Maybe so, but this lockout could get the ball rolling.
How so?

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:15 AM
Master Shake

Id rather see the NHL fire all the players and then reorganize the ownership into one collective group and then have single negotiated league contracts ala MLS. Then if they dont like it they can go play in Russia

Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:19 AM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Maybe so, but this lockout could get the ball rolling. The NHL could possibly be put in a hole it may not be able to recover from.

I'm a fan of the Canadiens, not the NHL. The Canadiens will be around longer than the NHL.

I want a new league or a drastic change to what we have now.
This ain't 1910. If the NHL goes down the Habs and the Leafs go down with it.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 06:04 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
You're vastly underestimating how entrenched both teams are in their respective cities.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 06:30 AM
Mork

Send a message via ICQ to Mork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
Id rather see the NHL fire all the players and then reorganize the ownership into one collective group and then have single negotiated league contracts ala MLS. Then if they dont like it they can go play in Russia
I've thought of this as well, but the difficulty is the wide divergence of franchise values. Would the owners of the Leafs and Rangers etc just take a larger equity share of the new single-entity league? How much larger and what would cause them to want to do this? Very problematic.

I'm sure pro-management posters will come up with a hundred suggestions all designed to accomplish this and screw the players, but none of which would be remotely workable in real life.

The only facts we're left with is that the NHL is not actually playing, and the league says they're a long way from a new CBA. What happens next is uncertain at least.

Mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 06:43 AM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
You're vastly underestimating how entrenched both teams are in their respective cities.
they are tethered to the league. Without a league to operate in, they are dead in the water. Otherwise, why aren't the playing right now? If the NHL goes down, every team goes down....

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 07:39 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

no and anyone that voted yes should leave this site this place is for hockey fans and anyone that wants the NHL to die is NOT a hockey fan. I suspect i'll get an infraction but thats OK because it's how I feel if you want the NHL and our game to die you don't belong here

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Shawa666

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
they are tethered to the league. Without a league to operate in, they are dead in the water. Otherwise, why aren't the playing right now? If the NHL goes down, every team goes down....
You're underestimating how fast a Canadian Pro Hockey league could be formed.

Shawa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 08:05 AM
JaymzB

Quote:
It won't happen the next day, but the top Professional Hockey League in North America, whatever that league is, will be playing games in the ACC and Bell Center. Of that, I am certain.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 08:35 AM
NicoSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROWE View Post
Let me tell you somthing the NHL. will find away to survive but some of its markets will not because some of them where already fragile going into the lockout & some teams like the coyotes who are extremly weak won't survive the lockout & we could see some masive relocation over the next few years .
or a decrease of the amount of teams. If the NHL isn't making enough money, they probably would concentrate on the big markets and cut down the ones without profit. They would play some years with 12 to 15 teams and then start to add new teams step by step.

Most reasonable option if the NHL would heavily suffer after the lockout, at least in my opinion.

Last edited by NicoSB: 12-11-2012 at 08:44 AM.
NicoSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 09:10 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoSB View Post
or a decrease of the amount of teams. If the NHL isn't making enough money, they probably would concentrate on the big markets and cut down the ones without profit. They would play some years with 12 to 15 teams and then start to add new teams step by step.

Most reasonable option if the NHL would heavily suffer after the lockout, at least in my opinion.
It's something that the other leagues haven't at times been adverse to doing, and the NHL as well. I think the anti-relocation policy that Bettman has advocated is to some degree unrealistic. The idea may in part be that it makes the League look bad and in part that it's unfair to fans that lose their team; but at least the first part can be changed. If re-location is spun as a positive thing then it can appear less of a bad thing. The NHL can put the greater focus on the receiving city, and say that it's not that it has failed in X-city but look at the positives it's getting by putting the League Y-city.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Davebo
Le Gros Bill

Quote:
It sure 'ain't'

No matter - the Habs were around before this now ****** league - you're a fool if you think they wouldn't jump to the league that's coming.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
no and anyone that voted yes should leave this site this place is for hockey fans and anyone that wants the NHL to die is NOT a hockey fan. I suspect i'll get an infraction but thats OK because it's how I feel if you want the NHL and our game to die you don't belong here
Listen up. As long as you stay in the rules you can say what you want. NHL =/= Hockey. Hockey is everywhere. Stop being a slave to the masses.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Quote:
This said this about the Football League in 1991.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:50 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Listen up. As long as you stay in the rules you can say what you want. NHL =/= Hockey. Hockey is everywhere. Stop being a slave to the masses.
That's like saying that the NFL =/= Football and MLB =/= Baseball. The NHL has to a great degree = Hockey for 95 years.

If the NHL did shut down, briefly, it would be reinstituted as the NHL, with just a glitch in the timeline. There would be no other league. Now hopefully that doesn't need to happen, but if it does then again hopefully the reinstituted NHL will have fixed some of its problems.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:06 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
It isn't above being a slave to the masses. The death of the NHL would = the death of hockey in Canada for rhe simple fact most kids dream about playing in the NHL if it died then whats the goal? AHL? how many people do know that dreamed of being in the AHL?

Old
12-11-2012, 10:07 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
That's like saying that the NFL =/= Football and MLB =/= Baseball. The NHL has to a great degree = Hockey for 95 years.

If the NHL did shut down, briefly, it would be reinstituted as the NHL, with just a glitch in the timeline. There would be no other league. Now hopefully that doesn't need to happen, but if it does then again hopefully the reinstituted NHL will have fixed some of its problems.
isn't that whats happening now?

Old
12-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post

Quote:
It isn't above being a slave to the masses. The death of the NHL would = the death of hockey in Canada for rhe simple fact most kids dream about playing in the NHL if it died then whats the goal? AHL? how many people do know that dreamed of being in the AHL?
It would not be. Hockey existed in the US and Canada for years. Did boxing and horse racing die? No. But MoreOrr is right it would be a glitch. Or soccer would take over.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Mork

Send a message via ICQ to Mork
Quote:
I think the NHL overestimates its market in Canada. Where I work (mid-town Toironto) most kids don't play or follow hockey.

When the cohort of current hockey fans thin out, succeding generations might support basketball, soccer or other actual participation sports in greater numbers instead.

I still think pro-hockey in one form or another will survive across North America, but it won't necessarily be the NHL. It could be the NHL, but who knows? They are their own worst enemy.

Mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We're doomed.

vCash: 400
No thanks.

No need to dissolve or decertify, just wait it out and eventually the players will sign.
Might take this year, or next, or the one after but it will happen.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:43 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
You're underestimating how fast a Canadian Pro Hockey league could be formed.
this. canadian top level hockey. put a limit on non-canadian player and play canadian style hockey. lots of fighting. not as much skill. think ahl with a world class skill player on each team.

the american hockey teams in all three leagues could fold. the top american players could go to europe. lets do it.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote