HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Crosby/Ovechkin = MacKinnon/Yakupov?

Old
12-11-2012, 07:10 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Nope

You always take the best possible player with the number one pick
I don't get this sentiment. Jones has franchise defenseman written all over him, and he's almost a PPG so far. If a team desperately needs a top defenseman over more forwards, why don't they take Jones? What makes MacKinnon the hands-down BPA?

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 07:17 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
I don't get this sentiment. Jones has franchise defenseman written all over him, and he's almost a PPG so far. If a team desperately needs a top defenseman over more forwards, why don't they take Jones? What makes MacKinnon the hands-down BPA?
This ^,the Oilers have a much bigger need in getting a number 1 defenseman.We've got enough talent up front in (Yakupov,Hall,Eberle,Nugent-Hopkins).

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 07:20 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
The Oilers came so close to drafting Murray over Yakupov.Now just imagine if they had the chance to draft Seth Jones.

I'm pretty sure that they would end up taking the d-man.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:29 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
This ^,the Oilers have a much bigger need in getting a number 1 defenseman.We've got enough talent up front in (Yakupov,Hall,Eberle,Nugent-Hopkins).
I disagree. We should just keep taking the BPA (or else trade out of the pick). Picking an inferior player at #1 just for team needs is a horrible way to lose value. If we had taken Murray over Yakupov I would have been very angry.

But let's see how this season pans out before declaring MacKinnon > Jones as BPA

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:39 PM
ponder

Even before Crosby and Ovechkin entered the league, they were hyped as generational talents. Then they immediately proved that it wasn't just hype, as they quickly became the top 2 players in the league. Yakupov and MacKinnon should both be stars, but I don't see them quickly becoming the top 2 players in the league.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:46 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
The Oilers came so close to drafting Murray over Yakupov.Now just imagine if they had the chance to draft Seth Jones.

I'm pretty sure that they would end up taking the d-man.
There's simply no way of knowing this. There were plenty of media rumours along the lines of "maybe this time the Oilers will go for a dman," but we really do not know if the front office seriously considered Murray over Yakupov. The "draft for need" people were saying "they're gonna take Larsson over RNH in 2010," then they were saying "they're gonna take Murray over Yakupov in 2011," and now they're saying "if the Oilers draft 1st overall yet again, they're gonna take Jones over MacKinnon." The "draft for need" fans were wrong in the last 2 drafts, and the logic is still as broken today as it ever was.

Teams prove time and time again that BPA is by far the biggest consideration in the draft, and that positional concerns are left for trades and free agent signings, but a tonne of fans still seem to think that positional needs are of prime importance in the draft. Not really sure why fans think this way, but it's clearly not how NHL front offices make their decisions.

With that being said, it's a bit early to be declaring MacKinnon the top prospect, and it's very early to be projecting the Oilers to pick 1st overall (especially since their chances will likely be poor if there's a full season lockout). But in the unlikely chance that the Oilers do pick 1st, you can bet that they'll take MacKinnon if they see him as the BPA.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Oilin Toronto

I'm not saying that Macinnon is better than Jones, but simply stating that IMO, the Oilers need a C more than a D at this point in time.

For the record, I will reserve judgement until I see them both play in the WJC.

Oilin Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 03:26 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
First I've heard that Jones is the BPA ITT

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 04:14 PM
bigdirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I disagree. We should just keep taking the BPA (or else trade out of the pick). Picking an inferior player at #1 just for team needs is a horrible way to lose value. If we had taken Murray over Yakupov I would have been very angry.

But let's see how this season pans out before declaring MacKinnon > Jones as BPA
Calling Jones an inferior player is just ridiculous. I'd still personally take MacKinnon over him, but it's not like he's a runaway favourite for #1 overall. When it's that close, why wouldn't they pick the guy who fits a longstanding team need?

Only way the Oilers should take MacKinnon at #1 is if they believe he will be twice as good as all of Eberle, RNH, Hall and Yakupov, and also believe that Seth Jones doesn't have everything needed to be a franchise defenseman.

bigdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 04:17 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Cool. Does Galchenyuk=Malkin then?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy Kassian View Post
no because oilers will be drafted by the MacKinnon
With the first overall pick in the 2013 NHL draft, the Nathan MacKinnons are proud to select... the Edmonton Oilers!

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
No he's the next Alex Galchenyuk.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Kid Dynamite
Pro Scout

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Nope sorry, he is destined to follow the path of Cam Barker.

Kid Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:38 PM
NHL Fanatic

Nugent- Hopkins/ Laarson
Yakupov/ Murray

If another magical scenario were to happen expect Edmonton to pick MacKinnon. MacKinnon is definitely not hands down the BPA, but has really played very well so far this season. It would be tough to pass on a player of his calibre. For those last two scenarios above I had Edmonton picking Laarson or even Murray and they didn't so I guess three times the charm.

If you are going to use the Crosby/ Ovechkin comparison which I hate, MacKinnon is more projectable as an Ovechkin type player. McDavid would seem to have more similar qualities to Crosby. ( This 15 yr is on the verge on signing an endorsement deal with Reebok, pretty amazing, lighting up the OHL so young)

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
There might be A rivalry between Yak and McK if the Flames draft him...
Neither will be face of the league so it wont be the same as Crosby and Ovechkin..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote