HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rochester Americans / Minors Thread '12-'13 Ed.

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 02:58 PM
UncleBenny

vCash: 500
Kevin Oklobzija (@kevinoDandC) tweeted at 2:10 PM on Thu, Dec 06, 2012:
Kevin Devine, who oversees #Amerks hockey ops, said #Sabres organization had not planned any roster adjustments if lockout ends (more)...

Kevin Oklobzija (@kevinoDandC) tweeted at 2:11 PM on Thu, Dec 06, 2012:
(cont.) But season-ending injury to #Amerks RW Corey Tropp (in Game 1) means "we may have to re-visit that," Kevin Devine said.

Says about all you need to know about how this team is being run. No matter how good or bad you may think this team is, isn't the point of sports to get better? We are "good enough" for the Sabres apparently.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
Kevin Devine, who oversees #Amerks hockey ops, said #Sabres organization had not planned any roster adjustments if lockout ends (more)...

(cont.) But season-ending injury to #Amerks RW Corey Tropp (in Game 1) means "we may have to re-visit that," Kevin Devine said.

Says about all you need to know about how this team is being run. No matter how good or bad you may think this team is, isn't the point of sports to get better? We are "good enough" for the Sabres apparently.
Ah, the classic Regier "sit on my hands" mid-season management method.

12-06-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post

Its the AHL, the Sabres priority is to develop players not to win hockey games.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
wow the sabres stole a friday home game, that is ********
well, maybe fans in Buffalo want to see the team play? Roc fans could always drive to Buffalo to watch.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:43 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Ah, the classic Regier "sit on my hands" mid-season management method.
It's just unblievable that they would even think about losing the 2 best players on the team and not replacing AT LEAST one of them.

Any pro team at any level in any sport should always be looking to improve. Those quotes by Devine are scary.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
well, maybe fans in Buffalo want to see the team play? Roc fans could always drive to Buffalo to watch.
The point has already been made that there are two games that weekend, one Friday and one Saturday. If they wanted to not screw with Rochester fans, make the FNC game Saturday so they can attend it without the hassles of rushing out of work and travel. It IS their hometown team after all. A weekend game would give them the leasure to come down at their pace.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
It's just unblievable that they would even think about losing the 2 best players on the team and not replacing AT LEAST one of them.

Any pro team at any level in any sport should always be looking to improve. Those quotes by Devine are scary.
Same here. Teaching winning? How about having enough horses in the stable to compete when the playoffs role around? Or having enough horses in the stable to make the playoffs with some home ice?

Instead we get hopes and wishes. Aggravating.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:38 AM
sabrefan27

And it also shows that even if the lockout continues all year, they have no intentions on trying to help out anywhere. How can you operate a team like that?

Old
12-07-2012, 05:56 PM
sabrefan27

And for those saying a couple weeks ago that there aren't any free agents out there, San Antonio just signed Jon Sim and Mike Mottau to PTO's.

Devine is satisfied though.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:06 AM
sabrefan27

Springfield, who's 14-4-1-3, just brought in Rochester native Chris Collins on a PTO. Former 20 goal scorer. How in the world is he not even a consideration by the Sabres?

Old
12-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Springfield, who's 14-4-1-3, just brought in Rochester native Chris Collins on a PTO. Former 20 goal scorer. How in the world is he not even a consideration by the Sabres?
That makes me feel old. I remember watching Collins play for Fairport's varsity when I was a senior--he must have been a soph or freshman then. Now, he's a 28-year-old professional journeyman. Didn't realize he played with Gerbe at BC, either.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:34 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
That makes me feel old. I remember watching Collins play for Fairport's varsity when I was a senior--he must have been a soph or freshman then. Now, he's a 28-year-old professional journeyman. Didn't realize he played with Gerbe at BC, either.
Hell, I played against him in a summer league. Old indeed. He smoked us all.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
And for those saying a couple weeks ago that there aren't any free agents out there, San Antonio just signed Jon Sim and Mike Mottau to PTO's.

Devine is satisfied though.
Paging Graham Mink to the white courtesy phone...

Old
12-11-2012, 08:35 AM
OcAirlines

Quote:
You mean the guy who had worse stats in the ECHL this season than Jacob freaking Lagace and wasn't exactly a star in the DEL last year either? Gimme a break, a lot of the criticism from you Rochester-guys is warranted but you don't have to be so overdramatic with everything that happens. All this whining is becoming pretty annoying...

Old
12-11-2012, 08:42 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
You mean the guy who had worse stats in the ECHL this season than Jacob freaking Lagace and wasn't exactly a star in the DEL last year either? Gimme a break, a lot of the criticism from you Rochester-guys is warranted but you don't have to be so overdramatic with everything that happens. All this whining is becoming pretty annoying...
8 games in the ECHL is a fair sample of games to judge him? Ok.

He had 33 points in 45 games last year in an AHL equivalent league. More than respectable.

I would say he's a massive upgrade over Drew Schiestel at wing, and a local kid as well.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:00 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
8 games in the ECHL is a fair sample of games to judge him? Ok.

He had 33 points in 45 games last year in an AHL equivalent league. More than respectable.

I would say he's a massive upgrade over Drew Schiestel at wing, and a local kid as well.
And the year before that he had 34 points in 77 games for WBS. Ok, but half the production. Collins is also 28 vs Schiestel being 23. Maybe Collins is just a guy that they don't feel fits in with what they want do to?

This does however follow the rule of internet player evaluation.

"WHY DIDN'T [our GM] try and sign [random journeyman player]!!! He's a moron!! [Random journeyman player] is better than [other random roster player]!! I've never seen him play, but [random stat line from HockeyDB] proves he's better!! "

Also : I don't see how 'he's a local guy' is a reasonable argument here. If he's a better player, then fine. Just because he's from Fairport doesn't mean anything.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:17 AM
sabrefan27

I'm not going to get into a debate about if Chris Collins is a better winger than Drew Schiestel, a defenseman, who the Sabres gave away last year. It's ridiculous.

If I said 1+1 is 2 on this site, I'd get people up in arms.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:09 AM
OcAirlines

Quote:
I'm not going to get into a debate about if Chris Collins is a better winger than Drew Schiestel, a defenseman, who the Sabres gave away last year. It's ridiculous.

If I said 1+1 is 2 on this site, I'd get people up in arms.
How is not signing a player who is already 28 years old, is only 5'8 and therefore will add close to nothing in the physical/shutdown department and who reached 40 points in the AHL exactly once, not to mention the awful season he had thus far, even a problem?

Quote:
"WHY DIDN'T [our GM] try and sign [random journeyman player]!!! He's a moron!! [Random journeyman player] is better than [other random roster player]!! I've never seen him play, but [random stat line from HockeyDB] proves he's better!! "

Old
12-11-2012, 10:22 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
How is not signing a player who is already 28 years old, is only 5'8 and therefore will add close to nothing in the physical/shutdown department and who reached 40 points in the AHL exactly once, not to mention the awful season he had thus far, even a problem?
It's not a "problem", you're clearly missing the point. He signed elsewhere and I mentioned how, considering the injuries at this point and a defenseman playing at wing, it would have been a solid injury replacement for the time being. It's pretty simple stuff.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:31 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
It's not a "problem", you're clearly missing the point. He signed elsewhere and I mentioned how, considering the injuries at this point and a defenseman playing at wing, it would have been a solid injury replacement for the time being. It's pretty simple stuff.
I'm admittedly not up to speed on all the Amerks injuries, but if they don't expect to need Schiestel on the wing for more than a couple games, does it really make sense to bring in another guy on a PTO for a week or so? That's a perfectly legitimate reason for not bringing him in.

You didn't just 'mention' Collins. You were incredulous that the Sabres wouldn't consider him for the time being. Maybe they did, and decided against it? Do you know that they didn't?

Old
12-11-2012, 10:38 AM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I share your criticism that Regier isn't doing enough to provide Rochester with veteran-depth, but complaining about him not signing someone like Collins is just over-the-top. There are so many players like him out there, does that mean that every time one of them goes somewhere else, it's Regiers fault? Or is it just because he is a good local boy?
My point is there are enough aspects where you can criticize Regier/the Sabres, but if a thing as small as this one bothers you, you'll find tons of things to complain oabout with every single AHL-team.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:43 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I'm admittedly not up to speed on all the Amerks injuries, but if they don't expect to need Schiestel on the wing for more than a couple games, does it really make sense to bring in another guy on a PTO for a week or so? That's a perfectly legitimate reason for not bringing him in.

You didn't just 'mention' Collins. You were incredulous that the Sabres wouldn't consider him for the time being. Maybe they did, and decided against it? Do you know that they didn't?
Schiestel has been playing forward for a couple weeks now. That is the point of PTO's. They're short contracts for mainly injury replacements and most teams in the league actually utilize it. Or the Sabres could just call up their prospects in the ECHL too, but that's another story.

So yeah, when a coach and an organization constantly preaches about how important every game and point is, and then they allow a crappy defenseman to look out of place at wing for 2 weeks, it starts to annoy you.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:45 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I share your criticism that Regier isn't doing enough to provide Rochester with veteran-depth, but complaining about him not signing someone like Collins is just over-the-top. There are so many players like him out there, does that mean that every time one of them goes somewhere else, it's Regiers fault? Or is it just because he is a good local boy?
My point is there are enough aspects where you can criticize Regier/the Sabres, but if a thing as small as this one bothers you, you'll find tons of things to complain oabout with every single AHL-team.
No, what's over the top is yourself and Beechsack's reaction. All I did was mention how I was surprised that a team down 6 forwards didn't give him a look.

You both turned it into this. So don't try to play it off otherwise.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:48 AM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Schiestel has been playing forward for a couple weeks now. That is the point of PTO's. They're short contracts for mainly injury replacements and most teams in the league actually utilize it. Or the Sabres could just call up their prospects in the ECHL too, but that's another story.

So yeah, when a coach and an organization constantly preaches about how important every game and point is, and then they allow a crappy defenseman to look out of place at wing for 2 weeks, it starts to annoy you.
I don't think that a 5'8 Forward who had just 2 games in 8 ECHL-games this season and hasn't played in the AHL for almost two years would've been an upgrade over one of our D playing Forward, especially not if you want a 4th line whose main responsibility it is to be good defensively.
They should bring in some more players, true, but Collins isn't one of them.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:50 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
I don't think that a 5'8 Forward who had just 2 games in 8 ECHL-games this season and hasn't played in the AHL for almost two years would've been an upgrade over one of our D playing Forward, especially not if you want a 4th line whose main responsibility it is to be good defensively.
They should bring in some more players, true, but Collins isn't one of them.
Again, if you don't think Collins is an upgrade over Schiestel, we might as well end things here. It's a ridiculous statement. Have you watched Schiestel the past 2 weeks? Have you watched Collins play before?

Closed Thread