HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-07-2012, 07:07 PM
  #451
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Doesn't he live in Connecticut?
That'd put him in QMJHL territory.
He plays U16 Connecticut Oilers. Good point, my bad.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 10:35 PM
  #452
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,580
vCash: 500
I watched the Bantams and Minor midgets again. Quick thoughts on the Bantam game. The Marlboros are a powerhouse team. If they all come back next year, good luck to the rest of the GTHL. They might as well engrave there name on the OHL cup. Mcleod, Mizzi and Smith can play with the 97 group and be a strong part of that team. Those 3 are better right now than some of the MM marlboros. The whole team is an Incredible group of skaters. 10-4 when I left the game with 8 mins left.

Marlboros vs Young Nats 2-0 win Marlboros. Fregona scored the 1st and than Hunt with an empty netter with 30 seconds left. The Marlboros could have won 5-0 but Lawn(G) Young Nats kept them in it. Marlboros impressed me tonight thats for sure. The team seems to be able to play many different styles and thats going to make it hard for others teams to beat them. They play shut down or offensive style whatever. The Marlies showed me tonight that they put an important emphasis on defense. They have some complete players with a physical edge. Young Nats were over-matched with every line they put out.

I havent seen Young Nats this year yet, but I like #55 Cozza on Defense. He is smaller but has very nice feet on him and made some nice passes, good decisions and doesnt seem to panic. Plays 1st line D and 1st PP. #10 Ivanescu had a good game trying to make things happen, has nice feet on him. #19 Bastow, played hard, great feet, #2 Kloucek is a big physical defenseman with good feet as well. He battled hard tonight.

Noah Robinson is an excellent skater, I didnt realize how good his feet are. He hits like a mack truck and competes hard. Excellent shot, heavy shot. Other guys dont like playing against him, he bears down on the forecheck and u feel it. D men start looking over there shoulder for him. Top 2 rounds in the draft, potential there to get into the first round or early second. He plays a 2 way complete game. The physical OHL is not going to bother or intimidate this player at all. He looks like he enjoys hitting anyone he can.

Tyler Richardson Goalie. He looks to be around 5-8. He has excellent lateral movement, lighting quick. Gets up extremely fast from his butterfly position and is not out of position very often because of that. HE is excellent at handling the puck and can catch the other team making a line chance. I really like seeing that element from a goalie. So far from what I can see he should be the #1 goalie. He was kicking pucks into the corner a few times which I liked. Richardson has an excellent glove hand. I think he gives the shooter that area of the net, and than uses his reflexes to shut the door. He made several great glovehand saves, no rebound, no bobble.

Dylan Strome I swear he must be Michael Dal Colle's twin brother. The similarites between the two players are scary. Similar feet, not above average but not bad. He can improve in this area. Strome shields the puck away with his large frame at an elite level. Strome is proving to be an excellent decision maker all over the ice. This to me is his best asset. His patience and decision making with the puck. His head is on a swivel assessing the situation, makes the right choice constantly. He is a good mix of shooter and playmaker, keeps the goalies honest. He never panics, so calm at all times.

Mitchell Stephens was the most physical Ive ever seen him. He must have had 10 bodychecks tonight. STephens was excellent tonight. A few end to end rushes were amazing to watch. Stephens, Mcdavid and Hosang have very similar feet. Top of the food chain. When he rushes the other team are in panic/chase mode. Defenseman are forced to back up ASAP and give Stephens the blue line every time with his blazing speed. Stephens looks to be 5-9, not 5-11. He is very complete player. Won 90% of his faceoffs tonight. Supports his Dmen very well. Proving to be excellent on the PK. Stephens is putting a major emphasis on Defense and hitting.

Jordan Maclean (Defenseman): This guy jumped out at me tonight. He brought a very, very physical presence tonight. He was trying to hit guys through the boards. Competed extremely hard. He blocked several shots, he rushed with the puck. I didnt realize that this kid has some nice feet from the back end. Battles anyone in front of his opposing net. Pinning guys against the boards in danger situations. Tape to tape outlets. Paired with Defarius but showed he can skate the puck out. He played a very, very complete game. Im going to keep my eye on this guy, I can see him flying under the radar.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
12-08-2012, 03:52 PM
  #453
Daneurism
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 445
vCash: 500
Should be interesting with both Sean Day and Tyler Benson likely applying for exceptional status.

Daneurism is offline  
Old
12-08-2012, 06:57 PM
  #454
doogie24
Registered User
 
doogie24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Saw Elgin for the 2nd time tonight, Konecny was excellent once again. His stopping and starting with the puck is amazing (Elgin was playing a weaker Brantford team so he could basically do what he wanted) Love the intensity and willingness to throw the body.

Aside from the other usual top players (Crouse, Mayo, Worrad, Coyle) I liked the way Carson Brookshaw played. Looks like a solid player.

doogie24 is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 03:07 PM
  #455
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
U have seen Sean Day play ONCE and your labeling him as cocky? Thats jumping the gun from my standpoint. Hosang had repeated games of not sharing the puck, I thought it was realistic to mention it at that time but now its over and done with and in the past. Hosang is playing extremely well now and from my perspective is playing his best hockey since the beginning of minor midget. Elite prospects are scouted more and people, myself included are more critical of them at times because u have already seen how high that player sets the bar. His future is very very bright. I think your alone on your Korostelev #1 thoughts. The marlies surprised me at Silver STicks. That team has different gears thats for sure. It will be interesting to see if they can repeat at the Marlies Classic. Divisions are well balanced. Cheers.
Hey Mapleleaf979, good to see we are both back in the blog game. LOL

Remember last year when I mentioned/initiated soon after Xmas that Ho Sang would go 5th or 6th, and everyone on the boards went Apesh..... IT DID HAPPEN.

Someone recently (SCOUT97) has posted that korostolev will go #2 also. I GUESS I AM NOT ALONE. LOL

Maybe we need our buddy Tigers1992 to provide his much respected and regarded input.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 03:16 PM
  #456
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post

Remember last year when I mentioned/initiated soon after Xmas that Ho Sang would go 5th or 6th, and everyone on the boards went Apesh..... IT DID HAPPEN.
While he did go 5th it was because he would only have reported to Windsor, the three teams that passed on him did not have much choice unless they wanted the option of picking him then getting another early pick in this draft because he didnt report.

OHLFan8771 is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 05:05 PM
  #457
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Hey Mapleleaf979, good to see we are both back in the blog game. LOL

Remember last year when I mentioned/initiated soon after Xmas that Ho Sang would go 5th or 6th, and everyone on the boards went Apesh..... IT DID HAPPEN.

Someone recently (SCOUT97) has posted that korostolev will go #2 also. I GUESS I AM NOT ALONE. LOL

Maybe we need our buddy Tigers1992 to provide his much respected and regarded input.
The Chew-Dawg did call the Ho-Snag draft slot! That was impressive. Looking forward to seeing Korostelev for the first time at the Marlie tournament. Yeah, sure would be nice to have Tigers back.

Garyboy is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 05:23 PM
  #458
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Hey Mapleleaf979, good to see we are both back in the blog game. LOL

Remember last year when I mentioned/initiated soon after Xmas that Ho Sang would go 5th or 6th, and everyone on the boards went Apesh..... IT DID HAPPEN.

Someone recently (SCOUT97) has posted that korostolev will go #2 also. I GUESS I AM NOT ALONE. LOL

Maybe we need our buddy Tigers1992 to provide his much respected and regarded input.
Patting ourself on the back again? lol im kidding. But, since we are going there, I was right about several things. I was the first to mention Hosang not being #1 and a few people thought I was racist or had agenda's. That was pretty frustrating. U did mention Windsor at #5, good job pal. Someone mentioned Cornel at #3, that guy was bang on and I forget who it was but Perlini to Barrie. Petti #10 was also revealed by someone? I was also the most convinced about Mcdavid's greatness, I had people claim I was a Mcdavid family member for me saying how good he was and how far ahead he was than any other 96. Ive never spoken to any MCdavid family member, Connor included in my life and am younger than his father. Who mentioned Mckeown going #2 ? Who was the only guy talking about S.Watson, Lindo, Muzyka, St.Germaine... Chew I do enjoy your opinion and like the fact that you dont sit on the fence about things. I like the debates and differing opinions can make for more interesting conversations.

Also (scout97) mentioned Nikita #2 not #1 like u mentioned. If S.Day gets ES and Korostelev goes #1, like u mentioned, Ill buy u a 24 of beer and u can get me one if u lose...if u dare? lol. Cheers.


Last edited by mapleleaf979: 12-09-2012 at 05:41 PM.
mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 06:10 PM
  #459
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Patting ourself on the back again? lol im kidding. But, since we are going there, I was right about several things. I was the first to mention Hosang not being #1 and a few people thought I was racist or had agenda's. That was pretty frustrating. U did mention Windsor at #5, good job pal. Someone mentioned Cornel at #3, that guy was bang on and I forget who it was but Perlini to Barrie. Petti #10 was also revealed by someone? I was also the most convinced about Mcdavid's greatness, I had people claim I was a Mcdavid family member for me saying how good he was and how far ahead he was than any other 96. Ive never spoken to any MCdavid family member, Connor included in my life and am younger than his father. Who mentioned Mckeown going #2 ? Who was the only guy talking about S.Watson, Lindo, Muzyka, St.Germaine... Chew I do enjoy your opinion and like the fact that you dont sit on the fence about things. I like the debates and differing opinions can make for more interesting conversations.

Also (scout97) mentioned Nikita #2 not #1 like u mentioned. If S.Day gets ES and Korostelev goes #1, like u mentioned, Ill buy u a 24 of beer and u can get me one if u lose...if u dare? lol. Cheers.
I am a switch hitter, so I use both hands. LOL

I think Ho Sang went #6??

I agreed with Mckeown at #2 and Bennett at #9. I only was wrong about Fabbri and McCann and their final destinations, but their positions were correct.

I knew about Perlini to Barrie, but chose not to divulge for specific reasons.

Korostolev #1, Day #2.

However, if Day gets ES, it would seem stupid for him to go 2nd, but it is a possibility. I also hear in a prior blog that there may be another kid applying for ES?? Dont know much about that. If anyone can enlighten.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 06:17 PM
  #460
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
I am a switch hitter, so I use both hands. LOL

I think Ho Sang went #6??

I agreed with Mckeown at #2 and Bennett at #9. I only was wrong about Fabbri and McCann and their final destinations, but their positions were correct.

I knew about Perlini to Barrie, but chose not to divulge for specific reasons.

Korostolev #1, Day #2.

However, if Day gets ES, it would seem stupid for him to go 2nd, but it is a possibility. I also hear in a prior blog that there may be another kid applying for ES?? Dont know much about that. If anyone can enlighten.
Good job Chew-Dawg. Credit to Garyboy for that nickname! Hosang went #5. The ES kids...Chad Krys is QMJHL territory, Im not informed on him, Ive heard great things about him. Apparently as good or better than SEan Day. Him and Day are considered best US playing 98 kids. There is a kid out west Tyler Benson and u may think your reading this incorrectly but 82 points in 17 games. Here's an article on Benson.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...xt_whl_phenom/

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 06:30 PM
  #461
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Good job Chew-Dawg. Credit to Garyboy for that nickname! Hosang went #5. The ES kids...Chad Krys is QMJHL territory, Im not informed on him, Ive heard great things about him. Apparently as good or better than SEan Day. Him and Day are considered best US playing 98 kids. There is a kid out west Tyler Benson and u may think your reading this incorrectly but 82 points in 17 games. Here's an article on Benson.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...xt_whl_phenom/
Thanks for the clarification. Read the news article and very impressive. Seems like he has the size, and definitely has the stats.

That would be a first, to have an ES kid in each Jr. Hockey League.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 06:31 PM
  #462
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,546
vCash: 500
Hopefully we get to see Benson in the upcoming All-Canadian game. Also, with Day being Canadian, I reckon there's a chance he'll be in the 2013 All Canadian game as well? What a feast for the senses that would be!

Garyboy is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 08:33 PM
  #463
doogie24
Registered User
 
doogie24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Hoping Tigers still checks this thread and is just keeping to himself.

I may go see a day of the Marlboros tournament and will be looking for a "who to watch" list aside from the big names!

doogie24 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 09:33 AM
  #464
wingman22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
I personally dont think Korostolev will have the opportunity to enter the OHL draft. JRC currently have at least 3 players from Russia. GTHL is open to residential "misplay", but I dont think they want to expose this anymore. With that being said, he will play in the OHL next year and he would be a top 5 pick this year.
Ho-Sang was going to Windsor at the Christmas Tournament. The number 5 pick was right for him. Top players have the ability to dictate their desired teams.
This year will depend on what teams need and want. Defensemen are deep, forwards are limited, so we may see more forwards go early knowing that in Round # 2 Teams can still pick up a Quality Defensmen.
Konecney, Strome and Stephens seem to be Top 3 Forwards on a lot of teams lists. Again it depends on which team finishes in what position and what the team wants.
Strome seems to have more upside.
Konecney works hard every night has a tonne of great qualities. Great support from Crouse.
Stephens, no player matches his explosiveness and speed. At Silverstick he appeared to be more consistant. Speed, Scoring and physical play.
Both Stephens and Strome have to share the ice. Marlies have 2 Top forwards which is different then most teams as they play on different lines and are two opposite players.

wingman22 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 11:22 AM
  #465
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
I personally dont think Korostolev will have the opportunity to enter the OHL draft. JRC currently have at least 3 players from Russia. GTHL is open to residential "misplay", but I dont think they want to expose this anymore. With that being said, he will play in the OHL next year and he would be a top 5 pick this year.
Ho-Sang was going to Windsor at the Christmas Tournament. The number 5 pick was right for him. Top players have the ability to dictate their desired teams.
This year will depend on what teams need and want. Defensemen are deep, forwards are limited, so we may see more forwards go early knowing that in Round # 2 Teams can still pick up a Quality Defensmen.
Konecney, Strome and Stephens seem to be Top 3 Forwards on a lot of teams lists. Again it depends on which team finishes in what position and what the team wants.
Strome seems to have more upside.
Konecney works hard every night has a tonne of great qualities. Great support from Crouse.
Stephens, no player matches his explosiveness and speed. At Silverstick he appeared to be more consistant. Speed, Scoring and physical play.
Both Stephens and Strome have to share the ice. Marlies have 2 Top forwards which is different then most teams as they play on different lines and are two opposite players.
Excellent post. A week or so ago I mentioned Id rather take Stephens over Strome and work with his consistency. But I changed my mind. For me, the big difference between Strome and Stephens like u touched on is that Stephens doesnt find chemistry easily with his line-mates. Stephens is trying to play like a power forward now, similar to Sam Bennett who liked to hit people and had very high end skill. It will be very difficult for him to be a banger in the O. I personally think Stephens needs to focus more on being a dynamic offensive player and fine tune his shot accuracy. I think Stephens should play more like Hosang than Bennett. I think he needs to unleash his offensive attacks like Hosang did whenever possible and puck rush hard and make things happen. Things can change quickly though, Stephens has some of the best feet Ive ever seen. If an OHL team can find the perfect match for Stephens than your probably going to make teams regret passing on him. I think Stephens needs someone who can get him the puck, a playmaker with excellent speed. Strome and Stephens had very little chemistry. Strome is at his best in the Offensive zone slowing the play down to a crawl. Stephens is most dangerous off the rush/counter attack.

Strome on the other hand can be a match with almost anyone on his team or in Ontario. For this reason Strome makes his line-mates better, Stephens doesnt have that quality in bunches like Strome. Strome is a mind-reader and his smarts makes him realize how to use his line-mates extremely well. This quality is very hard to teach. Like Ive said the size, the feet, the calmness, how in-tune Strome is with his line-mates, how he is watching the play and reading it perfectly, this is exactly what Michael Dal Colle brought to the table. Dal Colle and Strome are mirror images of each other. I havent heard anyone else say that but to me its freaky how similar they are. I think your also right about Hosang being locked on Windsor around Christmas. Mckeown was in Kingston in November and wanted to be there. I know of at least one player who is already locked onto a team and that player is going in the Top 5-7 picks.


Last edited by mapleleaf979: 12-10-2012 at 11:43 AM.
mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 11:50 AM
  #466
willy29
Registered User
 
willy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I know of at least one player who is already locked onto a team and that player is going in the Top 5-7 picks.
Care to share which OHL team that is?

willy29 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 12:40 PM
  #467
wingman22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Excellent post. A week or so ago I mentioned Id rather take Stephens over Strome and work with his consistency. But I changed my mind. For me, the big difference between Strome and Stephens like u touched on is that Stephens doesnt find chemistry easily with his line-mates. Stephens is trying to play like a power forward now, similar to Sam Bennett who liked to hit people and had very high end skill. It will be very difficult for him to be a banger in the O. I personally think Stephens needs to focus more on being a dynamic offensive player and fine tune his shot accuracy. I think Stephens should play more like Hosang than Bennett. I think he needs to unleash his offensive attacks like Hosang did whenever possible and puck rush hard and make things happen. Things can change quickly though, Stephens has some of the best feet Ive ever seen. If an OHL team can find the perfect match for Stephens than your probably going to make teams regret passing on him. I think Stephens needs someone who can get him the puck, a playmaker with excellent speed. Strome and Stephens had very little chemistry. Strome is at his best in the Offensive zone slowing the play down to a crawl. Stephens is most dangerous off the rush/counter attack.

Strome on the other hand can be a match with almost anyone on his team or in Ontario. For this reason Strome makes his line-mates better, Stephens doesnt have that quality in bunches like Strome. Strome is a mind-reader and his smarts makes him realize how to use his line-mates extremely well. This quality is very hard to teach. Like Ive said the size, the feet, the calmness, how in-tune Strome is with his line-mates, how he is watching the play and reading it perfectly, this is exactly what Michael Dal Colle brought to the table. Dal Colle and Strome are mirror images of each other. I havent heard anyone else say that but to me its freaky how similar they are. I think your also right about Hosang being locked on Windsor around Christmas. Mckeown was in Kingston in November and wanted to be there. I know of at least one player who is already locked onto a team and that player is going in the Top 5-7 picks.
Great view on two players. I think Stephens is hard to play and hard to play against because of his speed. Where Strome is a step ahead mentally, Stephens is a step ahead speed wise. Ho-Sang seemed to want to do too much on his own, which was his downfall. He landed in a good place, with some great direction in Windsor which allows him to be more of a team player. He is also playing with players as quick as him.
The 97 Marlboros are a far cry from the 96 Marlboros and there is not as much skill.
Have you seen the last couple of games since silverstick ? what has changed ?

After Christmas the OHL ranking will become a little clearer and rumours will start to emerge as to who will go where in the top 5 anyhow. The middle round is still up in the air. I seems as though Ottawa, Peterborough, Erie and the Soo will be in the Top 5 with possible Saginaw.

wingman22 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 01:06 PM
  #468
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
Great view on two players. I think Stephens is hard to play and hard to play against because of his speed. Where Strome is a step ahead mentally, Stephens is a step ahead speed wise. Ho-Sang seemed to want to do too much on his own, which was his downfall. He landed in a good place, with some great direction in Windsor which allows him to be more of a team player. He is also playing with players as quick as him.
The 97 Marlboros are a far cry from the 96 Marlboros and there is not as much skill.
Have you seen the last couple of games since silverstick ? what has changed ?

After Christmas the OHL ranking will become a little clearer and rumours will start to emerge as to who will go where in the top 5 anyhow. The middle round is still up in the air. I seems as though Ottawa, Peterborough, Erie and the Soo will be in the Top 5 with possible Saginaw.
Ya I have. For me it took awhile, to see all the little things Strome does. Stephens jumps out at u more with his feet and puck skills but Strome is more productive all over the ice. Strome's constant good decisions impress me, He outsmarts guys. Thats whats changed for me. I personally think Stephens needs a fleet footed, playmaker to bring out the best in him. A playmaker that can feed Stephens on the breakout and join him up the ice to make things happen. There are both excellent prospects, I would be happy if I had one or the other. The only improvement for Strome is his explosion right now, but he should be fine. Do u see the Dal Colle similarities? The 98's should remind u of the 96's, next year. The bantam 98's look like they have 3-4 first round picks for 2014 draft.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 03:47 PM
  #469
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Excellent post. A week or so ago I mentioned Id rather take Stephens over Strome and work with his consistency. But I changed my mind. For me, the big difference between Strome and Stephens like u touched on is that Stephens doesnt find chemistry easily with his line-mates. Stephens is trying to play like a power forward now, similar to Sam Bennett who liked to hit people and had very high end skill. It will be very difficult for him to be a banger in the O. I personally think Stephens needs to focus more on being a dynamic offensive player and fine tune his shot accuracy. I think Stephens should play more like Hosang than Bennett. I think he needs to unleash his offensive attacks like Hosang did whenever possible and puck rush hard and make things happen. Things can change quickly though, Stephens has some of the best feet Ive ever seen. If an OHL team can find the perfect match for Stephens than your probably going to make teams regret passing on him. I think Stephens needs someone who can get him the puck, a playmaker with excellent speed. Strome and Stephens had very little chemistry. Strome is at his best in the Offensive zone slowing the play down to a crawl. Stephens is most dangerous off the rush/counter attack.

Strome on the other hand can be a match with almost anyone on his team or in Ontario. For this reason Strome makes his line-mates better, Stephens doesnt have that quality in bunches like Strome. Strome is a mind-reader and his smarts makes him realize how to use his line-mates extremely well. This quality is very hard to teach. Like Ive said the size, the feet, the calmness, how in-tune Strome is with his line-mates, how he is watching the play and reading it perfectly, this is exactly what Michael Dal Colle brought to the table. Dal Colle and Strome are mirror images of each other. I havent heard anyone else say that but to me its freaky how similar they are. I think your also right about Hosang being locked on Windsor around Christmas. Mckeown was in Kingston in November and wanted to be there. I know of at least one player who is already locked onto a team and that player is going in the Top 5-7 picks.
Sorry guys but I dont see it the same as alot of you guys do about Stephens and Strome. I hope you guys prove me wrong, cause they seem like very classy players and alot of potential. I think that those qualities are deficiencies for them. They are not hungry like the Elgin boys. Strome and Stephens seem to be passengers most of the game, and then all of a sudden a burst of energy and a goal, or scoring chance. With the Elgin boys, and Korostolev, it is 100% every shift.

I hope you guys are right, cause they are great kids. But I dont see it. Top 5 picks for both of them is a stretch and I think they should be between 6-10. They have the Marlie name behind them, so you know they are coached properly (but this year, I have heard yes and no. LOL), and Strome can live off his name.

Chew-Dawg is rarely wrong, but this year I hope I am. LOL

chewerjones is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 04:33 PM
  #470
wingman22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Sorry guys but I dont see it the same as alot of you guys do about Stephens and Strome. I hope you guys prove me wrong, cause they seem like very classy players and alot of potential. I think that those qualities are deficiencies for them. They are not hungry like the Elgin boys. Strome and Stephens seem to be passengers most of the game, and then all of a sudden a burst of energy and a goal, or scoring chance. With the Elgin boys, and Korostolev, it is 100% every shift.

I hope you guys are right, cause they are great kids. But I dont see it. Top 5 picks for both of them is a stretch and I think they should be between 6-10. They have the Marlie name behind them, so you know they are coached properly (but this year, I have heard yes and no. LOL), and Strome can live off his name.

Chew-Dawg is rarely wrong, but this year I hope I am. LOL
The difference between Elgin and Marlies is that there maybe a sense of boredom setting in for the Marlies. Strome and Stephens have won everything with the Marlies. Elgin has not won at all, Strome and Stephens always rise to occasion in my opinion.
6 to 10 is not a bad place to be in. Not everything cracked up to be # 1. I would assume others on the Marlies will get a look because they have the name behind them. Like everything people focus on weaknesses at times and both have things they need to work on. They will get that at the next level.

wingman22 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 04:44 PM
  #471
wingman22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Ya I have. For me it took awhile, to see all the little things Strome does. Stephens jumps out at u more with his feet and puck skills but Strome is more productive all over the ice. Strome's constant good decisions impress me, He outsmarts guys. Thats whats changed for me. I personally think Stephens needs a fleet footed, playmaker to bring out the best in him. A playmaker that can feed Stephens on the breakout and join him up the ice to make things happen. There are both excellent prospects, I would be happy if I had one or the other. The only improvement for Strome is his explosion right now, but he should be fine. Do u see the Dal Colle similarities? The 98's should remind u of the 96's, next year. The bantam 98's look like they have 3-4 first round picks for 2014 draft.
Definitely Dal Colle similarities although Del Colle seemed to have better feet.. Strome is deceivingly quick.
A fleet footed winger or player to play with Stephens is a must.
I have seen the 98s play, I think it will be between them and JRC.. I don't think there will be a team better then the 96s. I believe 8 of them are in the OHL right now. I like to see players compete in the big games and the games that are 3-2. Unfortunate there are not to many of these.
The 98 age group appears to be a lot deeper than the 97s. 4 kids off the 98s. Will go 1st round with most of team gone in 3.

wingman22 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 05:59 PM
  #472
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
Definitely Dal Colle similarities although Del Colle seemed to have better feet.. Strome is deceivingly quick.
A fleet footed winger or player to play with Stephens is a must.
I have seen the 98s play, I think it will be between them and JRC.. I don't think there will be a team better then the 96s. I believe 8 of them are in the OHL right now. I like to see players compete in the big games and the games that are 3-2. Unfortunate there are not to many of these.
The 98 age group appears to be a lot deeper than the 97s. 4 kids off the 98s. Will go 1st round with most of team gone in 3.
Ya your probably right about the 96 team. I can see 4 of them being 1st round NHL picks. Mckeown, Hosang, Mcdavid and Bennett. Not much separates #27 and 16 this year, wouldnt be surprised to see them go one after the other. They are 2 of the best this year.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 10:48 AM
  #473
HatTrick97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
I was shocked by how easily the 97 Marlies won Silver Sticks, especially against Compuware and rolling with only 4 D. I understand they have since picked up a 6th D to fill the rooster. I can only imagine it is so they don't wear out their 'regular' D. Does anyone have opinions on the Marlies rearguards? For example, are they 'good' prospects or are they just supported by a very good team.

HatTrick97 is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 11:21 AM
  #474
Luvtowatch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick97 View Post
I was shocked by how easily the 97 Marlies won Silver Sticks, especially against Compuware and rolling with only 4 D. I understand they have since picked up a 6th D to fill the rooster. I can only imagine it is so they don't wear out their 'regular' D. Does anyone have opinions on the Marlies rearguards? For example, are they 'good' prospects or are they just supported by a very good team.
DeFarias is a top 2 rd player. McLean is very steady. Cho should be better than what he is showing, decent. Gagne is average on his best day, coughs the puck up way too much and gets way too much icetime. ( Coach who shares the same last name thinks the kid is McKeown, LOL, he's not!) White, who came from AA is doing ok , Gu is another AA recruit isn't as good. In a nutshell there are a couple good prospects but not a great bunch considering this is an elite team. Against Compuware they had a 98 in the lineup named Pu who was clearly their 3rd best d-man.

Luvtowatch is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 11:27 AM
  #475
hockey30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: st louis
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Lots of players at shattuck looked really good

hockey30 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.