HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Things to Look Forward to When the Hawks Return

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-10-2012, 08:02 PM
  #26
xX Hot Fuss
Registered User
 
xX Hot Fuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 11,092
vCash: 500
It's a win-win with Stalberg. Either he signs a reasonable/cheap contract with the hawks or he asks for too much $$$$ and prices himself out. If the latter happens we don't have to worry about an obnoxious cap hit.

Looking forward to seeing Kane put up 35 and 55

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 11:53 AM
  #27
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,474
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
It's a win-win with Stalberg. Either he signs a reasonable/cheap contract with the hawks or he asks for too much $$$$ and prices himself out. If the latter happens we don't have to worry about an obnoxious cap hit.

Looking forward to seeing Kane put up 35 and 55
Good point. The lost season would help a lot with the Stalberg negotiations. Not to mention, a decreased cap as well.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 11:56 AM
  #28
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User
 
deytookerjaabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post


If there is no season, their contracts don't rollover. They'd be out of contract going into 13-14.
Right, but what makes you think we won't RE-SIGN him again if we already did after his equally awful crawford-esque season? Are you just assuming we won't bring him back when his contract is up?

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 11:58 AM
  #29
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User
 
deytookerjaabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Yeah, we resigned Emery but his contract will be gone if the season is cancelled. They don't carry over. That being said, Bowman will probably sign him once again.

If he was so head over heals for Emery as part of the solution to the goaltending problem to resign him before the regular season was even over, what would change his mind with no additional evidence one way or the other?

IF he chooses not to sign Emery after the lockout, I would really hope someone would ask why.
This is what I meant.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:50 PM
  #30
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 19,587
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Right, but what makes you think we won't RE-SIGN him again if we already did after his equally awful crawford-esque season? Are you just assuming we won't bring him back when his contract is up?
I'm not assuming anything. All I'm saying is that when summer roles around it's an entirely new FA period. There's some guys I'm looking at (http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year...G&fa_type_id=2) that I might prefer to have as a backup over Emery.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:52 PM
  #31
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,474
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
I'm not assuming anything. All I'm saying is that when summer roles around it's an entirely new FA period. There's some guys I'm looking at (http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year...G&fa_type_id=2) that I might prefer to have as a backup over Emery.
There's some guys I've played in beer leagues with I might prefer to have instead but Emery is Bowman's guy so I see no reason he will not be back. Bowman views him as a critical piece to solving the goaltending problem. He wouldn't have resigned him during the season if he didn't.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:03 PM
  #32
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,697
vCash: 500
Maybe Bowman viewed him as a stopgap. Never know. Oh, but I am sure most of you know, considering it's Bowman.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:08 PM
  #33
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,474
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Maybe Bowman viewed him as a stopgap. Never know. Oh, but I am sure most of you know, considering it's Bowman.
Even if he is a stopgap, we'll need another one next year. I doubt they let any of the prospects have that job just yet. And that's the worst part. There are some quality free agent goalies out there next year but they will probably want 2 year deals. That leaves the door open to bring in a guy for 1 year and I fear it will be Ray "Open Net" Emery again.

He should be playing to get better. So should Crawford too. I haven't heard **** about them playing anywhere. It's ********. If any two guys need the practice, it's them. What the hell have they been doing all year?

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:09 PM
  #34
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 19,587
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
There's some guys I've played in beer leagues with I might prefer to have instead but Emery is Bowman's guy so I see no reason he will not be back. Bowman views him as a critical piece to solving the goaltending problem. He wouldn't have resigned him during the season if he didn't.
I get that it's a bit for you at this point, so I am certain you don't actually believe any of that. He was brought back because there wasn't a better backup available on FA. Here is who was out there:

Cristobal Huet, Chicago Blackhawks, $5,625,000
Dwayne Roloson, Tampa Bay Lightning, $3,000,000
Antero Niittymaki, San Jose Sharks, $2,000,000
Dan Ellis, Anaheim Ducks, $1,500,000
Alex Auld, Ottawa Senators, $1,000,000
Johan Backlund, Philadelphia Flyers, $800,000
Ty Conklin, Detroit Red Wings, $750,000
Yann Danis, Edmonton Oilers, $650,000
Andrew Raycroft, Dallas Stars, $650,000
Brent Johnson, Pittsburgh Penguins, $600,000
Curtis Sanford, Columbus Blue Jackets, $600,000 (signed in Europe)
Nathan Lawson, Montreal Canadiens, $550,000
Mike McKenna, Ottawa Senators, $550,000
Jason Bacashihua, Philadelphia Flyers, $525,000
Matt Climie, Vancouver Canucks, $525,000
David Leggio, Buffalo Sabres, $525,000
Drew Macintyre, Buffalo Sabres, $525,000
Peter Mannino, Winnipeg Jets, $525,000
Scott Munroe, Pittsburgh Penguins, $525,000
Dany Sabourin, Washington Capitals, $525,000

All junk. This coming FA, at least you can get a Budaj or a Montoya or something if that's preferable.

In the end, let's remember that we are discussing the backup goalie. If Crawford isn't a trainwreck, it doesn't matter who the backup is. It only became a big deal last year because CC was so incredibly awful.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:16 PM
  #35
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,474
vCash: 50
I don't view goalies as starter / backup. I just look at it as 2 goalies. Most good teams take that stance. Why the hell would you throw away potential wins at the most critical position? That was something that used to happen years ago but it's a different time now.

Nabby would be a nice pickup.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:33 PM
  #36
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 19,587
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I don't view goalies as starter / backup. I just look at it as 2 goalies. Most good teams take that stance.
Don't buy that for a second.

And what are you talking about 'throw away wins'. The guy had a better win percentage than Bobrosky, Rask, Harding, etc...

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:13 PM
  #37
Blue Liner
Registered User
 
Blue Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,645
vCash: 500
There are a couple of names on that list I'd consider over Emery. I'm not an Emery hater by any means, but, there are a couple. Ty Conklin being one.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 03:11 PM
  #38
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Have you not watched them play hockey?
Ya, I have. Kruger is really the only one I some what agree with.

One helped us go on a great 19 game run and fit our system well. Had a couple rough playoff games, but was far from our worst Dman.

One scored 20goals, and has blazing speed which helped our offense quite a bit.

One had a 15-9-3 record as our back up goalie.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:12 AM
  #39
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly
 
HawksFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,632
vCash: 500
No circus trip!

HawksFan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:49 PM
  #40
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 111,229
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Ya, I have. Kruger is really the only one I some what agree with.

One helped us go on a great 19 game run and fit our system well. Had a couple rough playoff games, but was far from our worst Dman.

One scored 20goals, and has blazing speed which helped our offense quite a bit.

One had a 15-9-3 record as our back up goalie.
Oduya fits a rotten system ,, He is the worst defender on team (And weaker then Leddy)

Stalberg outside of playing Columbus was nothing special and again was absolute ghost in playoffs

Emery had a sv pct of .900 and a GAA of 2.81 ,, Not good at all and is probably the slowest goalie post to post in NHL (Crawford a close 2nd)

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:07 PM
  #41
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Oduya fits a rotten system ,, He is the worst defender on team (And weaker then Leddy)

Stalberg outside of playing Columbus was nothing special and again was absolute ghost in playoffs

Emery had a sv pct of .900 and a GAA of 2.81 ,, Not good at all and is probably the slowest goalie post to post in NHL (Crawford a close 2nd)
Oduya is not worse than Leddy defensively, he is far better than Leddy defensively.

Stalberg may not be a top 6 player, but he is a legit NHLer who should be in our bottom 6.

Emery as a back up goalie had a 15-9-3 record. Who cares about %'s when you are winning the majority of your games as a BACK UP GOALIE!!!!!!

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:25 PM
  #42
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 111,229
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Oduya is not worse than Leddy defensively, he is far better than Leddy defensively.

Stalberg may not be a top 6 player, but he is a legit NHLer who should be in our bottom 6.

Emery as a back up goalie had a 15-9-3 record. Who cares about %'s when you are winning the majority of your games as a BACK UP GOALIE!!!!!!
Hey Crawford is a #1 with a record last year of 30-17-7

Guess that means Hawks are fine in net with our 45-26-10 duo ,,, Stanley Cup here we come

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:57 AM
  #43
Blue Liner
Registered User
 
Blue Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Oduya is not worse than Leddy defensively, he is far better than Leddy defensively.

Stalberg may not be a top 6 player, but he is a legit NHLer who should be in our bottom 6.
Yes.

Oduya most certainly was not the worst defensemen on the team last year, period. Bear in mind that same poster at one point stated he was the worst d-man in the league, so, take all that for what it's worth.

Stalberg is not one of this team's problems. Debate him being/not being a Top 6 player all you want, but it's essentially irrelevant because the simple point is he's a legitimate NHL player and has a role on this team. He frustrates me at times, but so does every player on this roster at one point or another. Stalberg is not an issue or a detriment to this roster.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:08 AM
  #44
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Hey Crawford is a #1 with a record last year of 30-17-7

Guess that means Hawks are fine in net with our 45-26-10 duo ,,, Stanley Cup here we come
Maybe you missed the as the back up part of my post?

%'s certainly matter for our starter.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:16 PM
  #45
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,502
vCash: 500
not a fan of Emery and think others could post the same numbers with the W-L line, but as a backup he won more games than he lost. This is what matters.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:26 PM
  #46
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 111,229
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Yes.

Oduya most certainly was not the worst defensemen on the team last year, period. Bear in mind that same poster at one point stated he was the worst d-man in the league, so, take all that for what it's worth.

Stalberg is not one of this team's problems. Debate him being/not being a Top 6 player all you want, but it's essentially irrelevant because the simple point is he's a legitimate NHL player and has a role on this team. He frustrates me at times, but so does every player on this roster at one point or another. Stalberg is not an issue or a detriment to this roster.
Oduya is physically the weakest dman on roster ,, He never wins a puck battle or can make a defenisve play to push someone off a puck

Leddy struggles with physical aspects ,, But at least he has the excuse of being 20 yrs old

As for Stalberg ,, If he has a role then Frolik has a role

I have yet to see Stalberg play defense or show up for playoffs in his 2 years with Hawks ,,, I have seen Frolik show up

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:43 PM
  #47
Blue Liner
Registered User
 
Blue Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Oduya is physically the weakest dman on roster ,, He never wins a puck battle or can make a defenisve play to push someone off a puck

Leddy struggles with physical aspects ,, But at least he has the excuse of being 20 yrs old

As for Stalberg ,, If he has a role then Frolik has a role

I have yet to see Stalberg play defense or show up for playoffs in his 2 years with Hawks ,,, I have seen Frolik show up

You called Oduya the weakest defender on the team, thus essentially calling him the worst defenseman on the team, and you went so far once to call him the worst in the league. I think that in and of itself negates any logical discussions about him. I acknowledge he's not a physical powerhouse but to state some of the stuff you have about him is just crazy. I'm not calling him a Norris candidate but he's far from the worst defenseman on the roster last season, let alone the league.

I'm not going to touch Stalberg with you any further past this post. I'd rather bang my head against a brick wall. It would be equally productive for my well being. As for playoff performances, we can say a lack of showing up for a few guys the past year or two on this roster, some much bigger in name than one Viktor Stalberg. You have a hate-***** for the guy, plain and simple, and that's fine. You're entitled to that, I'm just not going to debate it any more. You see what you see, whatever that is. Great. Moving on.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:51 PM
  #48
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 23,615
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
You called Oduya the weakest defender on the team, thus essentially calling him the worst defenseman on the team, and you went so far once to call him the worst in the league. I think that in and of itself negates any logical discussions about him. I acknowledge he's not a physical powerhouse but to state some of the stuff you have about him is just crazy. I'm not calling him a Norris candidate but he's far from the worst defenseman on the roster last season, let alone the league.

I'm not going to touch Stalberg with you any further past this post. I'd rather bang my head against a brick wall. It would be equally productive for my well being. As for playoff performances, we can say a lack of showing up for a few guys the past year or two on this roster, some much bigger in name than one Viktor Stalberg. You have a hate-***** for the guy, plain and simple, and that's fine. You're entitled to that, I'm just not going to debate it any more. You see what you see, whatever that is. Great. Moving on.
Thanks for saving me the time.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 07:35 AM
  #49
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,502
vCash: 500
talking about the past, there is nothing wrong with a player earing less than 1 million and posting the numbers Stalberg did. It's called bargain.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:02 AM
  #50
BobbyJet
Registered User
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
You called Oduya the weakest defender on the team, thus essentially calling him the worst defenseman on the team, and you went so far once to call him the worst in the league. I think that in and of itself negates any logical discussions about him. I acknowledge he's not a physical powerhouse but to state some of the stuff you have about him is just crazy. I'm not calling him a Norris candidate but he's far from the worst defenseman on the roster last season, let alone the league.

I'm not going to touch Stalberg with you any further past this post. I'd rather bang my head against a brick wall. It would be equally productive for my well being. As for playoff performances, we can say a lack of showing up for a few guys the past year or two on this roster, some much bigger in name than one Viktor Stalberg. You have a hate-***** for the guy, plain and simple, and that's fine. You're entitled to that, I'm just not going to debate it any more. You see what you see, whatever that is. Great. Moving on.
You forgot to mention his hard on for Frolik. Even though he has been a bust with the Hawks, he hangs on I think because he had such high predictions for him when he arrived. The opposite for VS. He has proven to be a valuable player and HAS improved despite his original predictions and the denials that have followed. Sometimes you just have to admit that you were wrong. Its much easier than trying to convince others by nit picking the positive and/or the negative that we hear about said players, virtually every Hawk game.
As for Oduya: Im afraid he could be right for the most part. Not the worst in the league but I maintain that Stan made a major faux pas by acquiring him and then compounded it by handing him a generous contract.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.