HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The Lockout Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

vCash: 500
Not to get into the middle of it, but I'm with Pete on this one. Even over the course of 48 (or whatever it may end up becoming) games, the best teams are still going to prove to be the best teams. Thus, you will still have a playoff of the 16 most deserving teams, which will compete for the Stanley Cup under normal circumstances. One may argue that the integrity may be tainted by one or two teams sneaking into the #8 spot for whatever reason - be it a hot streak, another team's cold streak, or a rash of injuries to a "top team", however this is just as likely to happen over an 82 game season, as teams typically overachieve and underachieve, and injuries are part of the game. That being said, you still have to win 16 games when it matters - and any team that can do that is absolutely deserving of the Cup.

Asterisk my hide. Even if the Devils won the lockout shortened season in '95, they were likely to do so anyway, as they proved to be one of the most successful teams in the NHL for the next 10+ years.

Old
12-09-2012, 03:31 PM
EspenK

So if it is to be a 48 game schedule, what does it look like?

4 against your division is 16
2 against the rest of the conference is 20
12 against the other conference
Total of 48. Seems about the most balanced way to do it unless the Jackets play Rangers, Bruins and Pens and the Wings don't.

Thoughts?

And if it is 48 and doesn't realistically start till Jan 1 that's is a whole bunch of games per week to get the playoffs started mid-April. Or the Cup final could be scheduled through end of June I guess.

WAFM

Old
12-09-2012, 04:18 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 398
My thoughts are IF a season is played, to only have top 4 teams from each conference (Div winners and 1 wildcard) make playoffs. This will eliminate the 1st round of playoffs and allow all other teams to play an additional 7 games. Which in turn helps out the local economy that is suffering during this lockout.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
So if it is to be a 48 game schedule, what does it look like?

4 against your division is 16
2 against the rest of the conference is 20
12 against the other conference
Total of 48. Seems about the most balanced way to do it unless the Jackets play Rangers, Bruins and Pens and the Wings don't.

Thoughts?

And if it is 48 and doesn't realistically start till Jan 1 that's is a whole bunch of games per week to get the playoffs started mid-April. Or the Cup final could be scheduled through end of June I guess.

WAFM
I'd have to imagine that interconference play would go away if there's less than 60 games. Or, various possibilities...

58 games - home and home against every other team in the league

56 games - two home and two road against everyone within the conference

44 games - three home and road against the division, one home and road against the rest of the conference

Old
12-09-2012, 07:51 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I'd have to imagine that interconference play would go away if there's less than 60 games. Or, various possibilities...

58 games - home and home against every other team in the league

56 games - two home and two road against everyone within the conference

44 games - three home and road against the division, one home and road against the rest of the conference
Those all make sense but I don't see how the first two fit into the time frame that would be available. Lets say a miracle happens and a deal happens soon enough to allow a Dec 27 start. That would only allow 16 weeks for a season. 58 or 56 games would require about 3.5 games a week. Doable?

Old
12-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411343

Quote:
The NHL is expected to announce game cancellations through Dec. 30.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:34 PM
FlaggerX

One of the guys from the Cannon wrote a post about the effect of the lockout on him, and it got linked on the front page of Sports Illustrated Hockey. Here's a link:

http://www.jacketscannon.com/2012/12...orst-nightmare

Old
12-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaggerX View Post
One of the guys from the Cannon wrote a post about the effect of the lockout on him, and it got linked on the front page of Sports Illustrated Hockey. Here's a link:

http://www.jacketscannon.com/2012/12...orst-nightmare
Great read, thanks for sharing!

Old
12-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Clearly, the number of NHL regular season games played prior to the Stanley Cup playoffs is a bona fide issue:

Quote:
Whenever the sides do get back together, they will need to work quickly on a new collective bargaining agreement. Commissioner Gary Bettman said last week, after the most recent round of negotiations, that a season must consist of at least 48 games to protect its integrity. That's the same number of games played during the lockout-shortened 1994-95 season.
There might be merit to the argument that winners of the cup regardless of regular season games played is legitimate (NJ Devils); but even the NHL recognizes limits...

My personal opinion, anything less than the current 82 game slate is questionable.. Why? Because some teams have super stars that might not last 82 games… in the end, a shortened season is NOT equal to an 82 game season that is the current standard…..

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/l...mber-30-121012

Old
12-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
A Cup champion is a Cup champion. World Series winners in seasons of 154 games are held in no less esteme than those of 162. You can think of them however you like, though, Robert, disregard whomever you wish.
Games played are an issue.... perhaps not in 1890 but in 2012 with the extreme’s forced on athlete bodies it is...

Although not exactly relevant I've been quoted as saying the NBA should give each team 100 points then play 5 minutes to decide the winner... Time and games played is significant.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Skraut

The Stanley Cup is awarded to the first team to win 16 playoff games. It might take your team 16 games to win the cup, it might take your team 28 games to win the cup. That is the only deciding factor as to who gets the cup.

To decide who makes the playoffs you can play 82 games, play 42 games, play 16 games like the NFL, or play tiddlywinks, it doesn't matter.

The Stanley Cup goes to the team that wins 16 playoff games. The only thing that is remembered about the season are the names engraved on the Stanley Cup.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
The Stanley Cup is awarded to the first team to win 16 playoff games. It might take your team 16 games to win the cup, it might take your team 28 games to win the cup. That is the only deciding factor as to who gets the cup.

To decide who makes the playoffs you can play 82 games, play 42 games, play 16 games like the NFL, or play tiddlywinks, it doesn't matter.

The Stanley Cup goes to the team that wins 16 playoff games. The only thing that is remembered about the season are the names engraved on the Stanley Cup.
As for the trophy you are correct...

But life is not based on trophies, it's based on the path to that trophy.... come on Skraut, you are one of the respected regulars whom should know the difference.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
As for the trophy you are correct...

But life is not based on trophies, it's based on the path to that trophy.... come on Skraut, you are one of the regulars whom should know the difference.
Correct. The path to the trophy is 16 playoff wins.

That is what matters.

I'm not saying the regular season is irrelevant because it decides the seeding for the playoffs. But the number of games IS irrelevant, as long as it is consistant for every team, it is a fair season.

You wanted to argue that the long grind of a season wears down players and could sort of separate the men from the boys so to speak and help determine a champion.

Fine, it could do that.

So could a shortened season, with a condensed schedule where teams are playing 3 in 4 nights, and 5 in 8. That could wear down players as well.

A shortened season also could create some more interesting story-lines. Steve Mason's rookie season he had 2/3rds of an incredible season. What if that was the entire season?

What if a shortened season let a veteran laden team like Detroit make one last cup run because they aren't as beat up?

What if the longer summer lets LA avoid the post cup hangover?

What if it takes 30 games for Rick Nash to get comfortable in New York, and they struggle to get into the playoffs?

If anything a shortened season could provide as much, or more intrigue than a full slog through 82 games. And as an added bonus, Jackets fans won't have to sit though as many losses before we're eliminated from playoff contention.

So to get back to my original point. A season in which the Stanley Cup is awarded is a "Season". How many games the regular season contains doesn't matter, it will just create slightly different story lines as the season progresses.

Last edited by Skraut: 12-10-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Grammar check
Old
12-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Correct. The path to the trophy is 16 playoff wins.

That is what matters.

I'm not saying the regular season is irrelevant because it decides the seeding for the playoffs. But the number of games IS irrelevant, as long as it is consistant for every team, it is a fair season.

You wanted to argue that the long grind of a season wears down players and could sort of separate the men from the boys so to speak and help determine a champion.

Fine, it could do that.

So could a shortened season, with a condensed schedule where teams are playing 3 in 4 nights, and 5 in 8. That could wear down players as well.

A shortened season also could create some more interesting story-lines. Steve Mason's rookie season he had 2/3rds of an incredible season. What if that was the entire season?

What if a shortened season let a veteran laden team like Detroit make one last cup run because they aren't as beat up?

What if the longer summer lets LA avoid the post cup hangover?

What if it takes 30 games for Rick Nash to get comfortable in New York, and they struggle to get into the playoffs?

If anything a shortened season could provide as much, or more intrigue than a full slog through 82 games. And as an added bonus, Jackets fans won't have to sit though as many losses before we're eliminated from playoff contention.

So to get back to my original point. A season in which the Stanley Cup is awarded is a "Season". How many games the regular season contains doesn't matter, it will just create slightly different story lines as the season progresses.
We can discuss this issue into infinity.... just one thought, I remember a time when the NHL had a 5 game playoff series... soon after the NHL decided that was not fair based on the "hot" goalie syndrome...

My only point, time and space is an issue to be considered... A 48 game regular season cup is not the same as an 82 game regular season cup....

That said, if the Jackets or the Sabres win a Stanley Cup after a 48 game season this poster will be happy with an asterisk…....

Last edited by Robert: 12-10-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
My only point, time and space is an issue to be considered... A 48 game regular season cup is not the same as an 82 game regular season cup....
Seriously, how do they differ? You still get to raise a 48 game cup over your head. You still get your name on a 48 game cup. You're still the champion of the league. You still draft 30th in next years draft (well ok, if there is a season this year, the champion will draft 29th because Lou Lamoriello was an idiot for taking his pick last season)

The Kings only played 102 games last season.
Are you arguing that their cup is not the same as the Boston's 107 games the previous year?

Old
12-11-2012, 08:25 AM
EDM

I don't care enough to argue about it.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:31 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
USA Today solicited comments from STHs about what they did with their lockout money and chose one from each team...my comments were chosen for the CBJ.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...react/1760277/

Quote:
John Wooten, Columbus Blue Jackets: "I kept my money with the club. Much as I'm astonished that we are where we are with the NHL and NHLPA, I support hockey in my town. The way I looked at it was that the money was already spent, and if I got it back, I would end up spending it on something else. Whenever the season would start, this year or next, I'd just have to pay again, so better to just consider myself paid a year or so ahead from now on. I'll say this, though: however much I support the team, the league and the players, it will be a long time before I feel the same about the NHL as I did before. Hockey is the most beautiful game, has the most passionate owners and the best of men as players, and it's disgusting they couldn't find a way to get on the ice."

Old
12-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
USA Today solicited comments from STHs about what they did with their lockout money and chose one from each team...my comments were chosen for the CBJ.

Well said.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:25 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Well said.
+One

Old
12-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Well said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
+One

Old
12-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 2400
Quote:

You came off sounding like a genius

Congrats for the printing of your quote and thanks for representing the fans of the Jackets so well

Old
12-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
You came off sounding like a genius
It's nice to finally have some company in that department.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:08 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
It's nice to finally have some company in that department.

12-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Nice job on the quote, SuperG.

On the lighter side, I thought this was well-done.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Sports/Top+...ID/2314577596/

It's funnier if you are familiar with the original story shown below.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:

You should have had them quote you as "John "SuperGenius" Wooten" ... that would have definitely been funny.

Well said though. I think you stand for the true hockey fan, the fan that will always love the game, regardless of what happens. The people who are throwing the NHL under the bus will eventually be back for this reason, and are just kidding themselves (and everyone else). While I'm not a big dollar spender on NHL merchandise or tickets, I will admit that I will be hard pressed to spend any of my hard-earned money on NHL anything for the foreseeable future, but I won't go around making comments about not ever coming back, because it simply isn't true.

What the NHL should be concerned with is the loss of the casual fan. I know so many people (living in a huge hockey area without an NHL team) who only follow the "big NHL games" - such as the Winter Classic, the Stanley Cup Final, or whatever. Clearly, these are the big revenue events, and I fear that this lockout, more than any other, will result in the loss of importance of these large events. People simply won't care to tune in, because they have other hobbies to keep them busy.

This is where the game is going to suffer.

Closed Thread