HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Version XIV: Rielly Cool Story Broll

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 08:34 PM
leugangen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
Does anyone in the CHL have his rights?

He's only 19, so he wouldn't count against any overager rules. Don't know if anyone will claim him if he doesn't have his rights somewhere.
Tri-City has his rights I believe.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:00 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Not really sure when the SEL season ends, but he's supposed to be back in mid January.
When the SEL season ends so will his loan and I'm sure that if he's healthy he'll be playing with the Marlies.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Who gives? He hardly is a lost, 7th round pick and probably a long long long shot to ever making it to the NHL, let alone probably AHL.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Edbleafs

hey did you guys ever watch the highlight of spokane vs moose jaw game on sunday i love that MJ play-by-play guy especially when Rielly score the winning goal.
http://www.mjwarriors.ca/

Old
12-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Brody
$$

vCash: 560
The video on Moose Jaw's site, named "Sportsnet Feature - Morgan Rielly" is a really good video, watch it. Great guy, good to see he still thinks he's a two-way dman, wouldn't mind another Jake Gardiner with higher offensive upside.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:35 PM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbleafs View Post
hey did you guys ever watch the highlight of spokane vs moose jaw game on sunday i love that MJ play-by-play guy especially when Rielly score the winning goal.
http://www.mjwarriors.ca/

That was some of the worst junior goaltending I have seen in a while.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:44 PM
smitty10

Sucks for Everson. Hopefully a WHL team will give him a spot or his hockey career will likely be over.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:12 AM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Sucks for Everson. Hopefully a WHL team will give him a spot or his hockey career will likely be over.
USHL is also an option, And probably the most likely as it would still leave him eligible for the NCAA.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:52 AM
rdawg1234

Surprised with:

Broll- solid start for him!
Biggs- PPG at 32 games, he's becoming a much more interesting prospect, I love it.
Spencer Abbott- great start for him! I was expecting more from him this year and he's getting there now that he's on the lineup.

unhappy with:
Ashton- he looks like he got worse point wise
Colborne- WTF is wrong with him? 6 points in 21 games? Holzer almost has as many points as him, a stay at home dman. I mean there's slumps and then there's just plain bad play.

other than that, Glad that Kadri is proving he deserves to be highly touted with his PPG pace, Matt Frattin exploding with his comeback, interested to see how he would be in the NHL now. Gardiner being solid etc.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:24 AM
johnnyutah

Anyone watch much of Percy this year? Hes a player where the stats dont tell the story and you really need to watch him play to know how good he is. I havnt had the chance yet.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:41 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
Surprised with:

Biggs- PPG at 32 games, he's becoming a much more interesting prospect, I love it.
Spencer Abbott- great start for him! I was expecting more from him this year and he's getting there now that he's on the lineup.

unhappy with:
Colborne- WTF is wrong with him? 6 points in 21 games? Holzer almost has as many points as him, a stay at home dman. I mean there's slumps and then there's just plain bad play.

other than that, Glad that Kadri is proving he deserves to be highly touted with his PPG pace, Matt Frattin exploding with his comeback, interested to see how he would be in the NHL now. Gardiner being solid etc.
I hate to be that guy but stats do not tell the whole story --- which is what you are doing here to make up your mind.

Ashton started the year slowly, yes, but he's been one of our better forwards in the last month or so. He's been physical and also a good energy forward. He should have more points that the stat sheet shows... but that's not a huge thing. If he keeps it up the points will come.

Colborne has been pretty inconsistent, I agree there. Just like Ashton though, he's been quite snake bitten in terms of offensive production. Seems like his confidence level is at the bottom of the Atlantic ocean. Hopefully he can shake it off, he's bound to get a bounce go his way.

To me, Blacker has been a disappointment this year. He hasn't been 100% healthy (playing with a full cage) but I still expected more from him. He hasn't taken the next step so far in his development.

I also expected D'Amigo to have more of an impact. I think because of the depth on the wings he hasn't had the chance to play in more of an offensive role though, which is something to consider. He's been solid but I just expected a bit more from him this year.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:30 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
To me, Blacker has been a disappointment this year. He hasn't been 100% healthy (playing with a full cage) but I still expected more from him. He hasn't taken the next step so far in his development.

I also expected D'Amigo to have more of an impact. I think because of the depth on the wings he hasn't had the chance to play in more of an offensive role though, which is something to consider. He's been solid but I just expected a bit more from him this year.
I've only seen Blacker about 3-4 times, and each viewing has left me disappointed. I have to remember how young he is, but I'm not sure decision making will improve a great deal with age. This is just his 2nd. year, but seems to be on the lower end.

D'Amigo hasn't been looking great, but again he's young, and being used, for the most part, in non-offensive roles.

But if you look:
Aucoin
Ziggy
Hamilton
Komarov
Acton
Abbott
Frattin
Scott

All forwards 24 and older. Komarov has left, but that still leaves 7 forwards, then add in Colborne, Kadri, Deschamp who are all 22, before you get to Aston and D'Amigo who both have 7 points(Colborne&Deschamp 6 points).

If there was no lock-out perhaps these 21 year olds would be getting better opportunities, along with Ross and McKegg.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-11-2012, 11:31 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
USHL is also an option, And probably the most likely as it would still leave him eligible for the NCAA.
This is the most likely option. Sources have said that Tri-City would love to add him but he's likely headed to Omaha for the rest of the year. It appears that Harvard is likely willing to have him back next season, and this is more or less suspension rather than expulsion.

So it's likely in his best interest to play USHL to stay NCAA eligible.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
I hate to be that guy but stats do not tell the whole story --- which is what you are doing here to make up your mind.

Ashton started the year slowly, yes, but he's been one of our better forwards in the last month or so. He's been physical and also a good energy forward. He should have more points that the stat sheet shows... but that's not a huge thing. If he keeps it up the points will come.

Colborne has been pretty inconsistent, I agree there. Just like Ashton though, he's been quite snake bitten in terms of offensive production. Seems like his confidence level is at the bottom of the Atlantic ocean. Hopefully he can shake it off, he's bound to get a bounce go his way.

Agree with your assessment. I thought Colborne looked pretty good since he was a healthy scratch. May not have racked up a ton of points, but he was using his size well to protect the puck and creating scoring chances for his linemates. The key to Colborne becoming and NHLer, IMO, is improving his skating and his strength. Improvement in these areas will see improved confidence.

Ashton, as you said, not putting up huge numbers but I see an improvement in his over all game. Working really hard on the little things and is one of the better forecheckers on the Marlies. You just get a sense with Ashton that the scoring will come.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:04 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Rielly will be playing for Team Red and wearing #11 tonight at the Red-White scrimmage. Can be streamed at fasthockey.com

Old
12-11-2012, 12:39 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Early Season Risers:

S.Abbott
J.Rynnas
C.Brown
G.Sparks

Early Season Fallers:

J.Colborne
M.Owuya
J.Blacker
N.Deschamps

My current Leafs top-20:

1) M.Rielly
2) N.Kadri
3) M.Frattin
4) M.Finn
5) J.Colborne

6) T.Biggs
7) S.Percy
8) S.Abbott
9) J.D'Amigo
10) G.McKegg

11) C.Ashton
12) M.Owuya
13) J.Rynnas
14) B.Ross
15) K.Holzer

16) J.Blacker
17) J.Leivo
18) C.Brown
19) N.Deschamps
20) G.Sparks

Old
12-11-2012, 12:40 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
Surprised with:

unhappy with:
Colborne- WTF is wrong with him? 6 points in 21 games? Holzer almost has as many points as him, a stay at home dman. I mean there's slumps and then there's just plain bad play

I went to the game on saturday and wanted to touch on your "unhappy's".

Colborne is as horrible as his point production. Generated one scoring opportunity the entire game. Coach has moved him to the third line, and he really isnt having any success whatsoever. Unless the team ends up being forced into giving him more responsibility, the depth on the team is hurting him. He isnt really in a good possition to get himself out of the slump. Could be the begining of the end for this guy.

Ashton on the other hand is playing better then his point totals show. He was a major thorn in Rochesters side. Not afraid to bang boddies. He actually really impressed me. I can definitely seeing him as a mainstay on the leafs 3rd line. Very quick, hard hitter, and plays fearless. At one point i thought he and Foligno were going to drop the mits. Overal i think he has the perfect skillset for a 3rd liner in the NHL.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

I've seen all but two games this season, so I figured I'd chime in too.

Colborne has indeed been brutal. He has nothing to offer this team, it seems. Perhaps he's just unable to mesh with Eakins' new coaching style? I don't know, but I hope he can pick it up. He's in his fifth year post-draft, so he's approaching bust territory.

Ashton has been pretty much awesome to watch this past month or so. He's been all over the ice, banging bodies, generating offense. He's actually been one of our top forwards, I'd say. The points will come once he starts putting his offense together.

D'Amigo has been a little disappointing but he's still playing great on the PK. I'd like to see him be given a bit more responsibility- it seems like the puck is never on his stick.

Deschamps has been a lot better recently. Seems to be seeing the ice better. Still don't think he'll amount to anything.

Holzer has been a monster lately. Laying some huge hits, and as always he's rock solid on defense, and his outlet pass isn't bad either. I think he'll do just fine at the NHL level.

Gardiner has been spectacular. I look forward to see him shooting more on the PP at the NHL level. Hopefully the injury isn't too bad.

Frattin has been Frattin. He's a very one dimensional scoring threat. Still think he's good for 20 in the NHL, as he's got one of the heaviest shots I've ever seen.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:53 PM
theneuf33
@TheDamager

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Early Season Risers:

S.Abbott
J.Rynnas
C.Brown
G.Sparks

Early Season Fallers:

J.Colborne
M.Owuya
J.Blacker
N.Deschamps

My current Leafs top-20:

1) M.Rielly
2) N.Kadri
3) M.Frattin
4) M.Finn
5) J.Colborne

6) T.Biggs
7) S.Percy
8) S.Abbott
9) J.D'Amigo
10) G.McKegg

11) C.Ashton
12) M.Owuya
13) J.Rynnas
14) B.Ross
15) K.Holzer

16) J.Blacker
17) J.Leivo
18) C.Brown
19) N.Deschamps
20) G.Sparks
Mckegg above Ashton? i think ashton has played well and honestly has higher upside then mckegg not that im bashing mckegg but IMO Ashton has a better chance at playing regulalry in the Nhl

Old
12-11-2012, 12:57 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Ashton's definitely safer, and I think he's probably a lock to be an effective NHL bottom liner, but I'm really starting to give up on any offensive upside at all....though not completely.

McKegg had a nice start to his AHL career, then went through a bit of a cold streak.....I still give him top-6 upside so I've got him slightly ahead.

But it's dang close and that could change in a week.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:48 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

I'd have Sparks higher then that as well. He's played well this year.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Dark Passenger

Im not 100% sold on Colborne as a top prospect, but we have to be more patient with this guy. Had some injury issues that caused his game to drop last year and off to a slow start this year. As mentioned, if his speed and strength improve...he has a chance at the NHL level.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
Im not 100% sold on Colborne as a top prospect, but we have to be more patient with this guy. Had some injury issues that caused his game to drop last year and off to a slow start this year. As mentioned, if his speed and strength improve...he has a chance at the NHL level.
He has immense potential but it's very unlikely he'll get there, however people need to relax. This guy has enough skill in his tank to still be a good player for us, he's been getting better as slow as it has been.

A few weeks back people were in the same boat on Ashton and didn't believe me when I said he has an offensive edge, and he's finally showing it up, people need to do the same with colborne, when he clicks he will get it down.

12-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Early Season Risers:

S.Abbott
J.Rynnas
C.Brown
G.Sparks

Early Season Fallers:

J.Colborne
M.Owuya
J.Blacker
N.Deschamps

My current Leafs top-20:

1) M.Rielly
2) N.Kadri
3) M.Frattin
4) M.Finn
5) J.Colborne

6) T.Biggs
7) S.Percy
8) S.Abbott
9) J.D'Amigo
10) G.McKegg

11) C.Ashton
12) M.Owuya
13) J.Rynnas
14) B.Ross
15) K.Holzer

16) J.Blacker
17) J.Leivo
18) C.Brown
19) N.Deschamps
20) G.Sparks
What has Rynnas done to deserve to be rising? Leivo should be rising instead of him.

He just continues to be wildy inconsistent and injury prone. I'd put McKegg over Abbot and D'Amigo and then Leivo and Rynnas should switch spots.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
I honestly think they should shut down Colborne until he's 100%. Absolutely useless out there if he can't shoot and has no hand strength.

Still don't understand why he came back into camp with healing. All it does is hurt his development.

Closed Thread