HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout XXVI: 57 Hockey Channels (And Nothin' On)

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
For the life of me, I can't fathom why a majority of players are unwilling to accept a term-limit on contracts when such a small minority of players even receive contract offers that or 5 or more years in length.

Here's the full list of players who are on 5+ year contracts in the NHL.
http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-cont...-more-options/

The list is mostly of star players, but there are quite a few free agent signings that received outlandishly long contracts in order for teams to circumvent the cap. This is one loophole that has to be closed in the next CBA, and the players should learn to accept it.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:02 PM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Then the owner needs to hire better management and coaching.
Yes, that's it.

It would have nothing to do with the lockout.

Old
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
For the life of me, I can't fathom why a majority of players are unwilling to accept a term-limit on contracts when such a small minority of players even receive contract offers that or 5 or more years in length.

Here's the full list of players who are on 5+ year contracts in the NHL.
http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-cont...-more-options/

The list is mostly of star players, but there are quite a few free agent signings that received outlandishly long contracts in order for teams to circumvent the cap. This is one loophole that has to be closed in the next CBA, and the players should learn to accept it.
Long contracts reduce the cap hit for big stars. That leaves more cap space and thus more pay for middle/lower class players.

MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch
"I can't wait to see what his teammates do when guys go after him." Philly's Scott Hartnell on @TEAM1200Ottawa on Roman Hamrlik. #NHL #NHLPA

https://twitter.com/SunGarrioch/stat...43587791220737

IMO it says a lot more about Hartnell than it does about Hamrlik

Old
12-11-2012, 02:03 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Quote:
Ryan Porth ‏@Smashville247
A frustrated Hal Gill: "We want to get a deal done and play hockey; they donít. Thatís what it comes down to. Itís hard to be optimistic."
Are they kidding me? Fehr is the one who told them to wait out or a better deal.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince2012 View Post
Yes, that's it.

It would have nothing to do with the lockout.
It doesn't. I'm pretty sure he's talking about how the players get paid regardless of how good the team is. My response is that the owner should correct the problem with his team.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:05 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
Are they kidding me? Fehr is the one who told them to wait out or a better deal.

This is why I have 0 faith this thing gets done. Fehr can tell them to holdout for a better deal while spinning it as the owners not wanting to negotiate. The man is a revolutionary. Also the reason the NHL is stalled.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:07 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince2012 View Post
Who does he think he's kidding?
The casual fans and PA fan boys?

Old
12-11-2012, 02:09 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod
Told by multiple sources that tomorrow's CBA meeting between NHL and NHLPA will likely include federal mediators.

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/...77222305058816

Old
12-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Long contracts reduce the cap hit for big stars. That leaves more cap space and thus more pay for middle/lower class players.
There are some long contracts that were signed that do not circumvent the cap. Take the recent signings of Karlsson and Doughty. Their cap hit reflects the amount they should and would likely have earned in an open market. They are fair deals for the impact they provide and don't impede their respective clubs from signing other free agents.

If the big stars are concerned about the pay of their fellow teammates and NHLPA members, they wouldn't it seem like the honorable thing to do for say a guy like Crosby to accept a little bit less to re-sign with his club so that there is more to be spent on other members of his union?

A possible work around to calculating the cap would be to calculate the real dollar amount on a year-by-year basis towards the cap. Now that would dissuade teams from front loading.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Hanklite*
Bettman's Bro

Quote:
This is such a naive comment. What about the tail end of those deals?! Nobody ever answers that. It just sets the teams up to fail in 5 years.

So you have a $6M cap hit for a player who is now on the third line seeing 8 minutes a game... That only hurts the team, the product and the franchise value.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:12 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
CBA meetings between NHL and NHLPA that are to take place at undisclosed location WILL involve a mediator
https://twitter.com/aaronward_nhl/st...77376613498880

Old
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Meeting will have mediator

Old
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod
Told by multiple sources that tomorrow's CBA meeting between NHL and NHLPA will likely include federal mediators.

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/...77222305058816
I hope that the mediators actually try to take the midway point between what both parties want (instead of 5 or 7 years, go for 6 and so on). Seriously, enough of this ****ing **** .

Old
Ari91

Quote:
A frustrated Hal Gill: "We want to get a deal done and play hockey; they donít. Thatís what it comes down to. Itís hard to be optimistic."

Gill: "For the life of me I canít figure out what they want. Iím so sick and tired of the strategy." #Preds #NHL

Gill: "For the owners to pull away from the table and not be willing to discuss things with Fehr, itís embarrassing. Enough is enough."

https://twitter.com/Smashville247/st...69433100849152
https://twitter.com/Smashville247/st...69942805254145
https://twitter.com/Smashville247/st...70366954262528

this is getting so tiresome
There are two things about his comments that amuse me.

1. The owners literally said, we want 'a,b and c' and we'll give you 'x, y and z' to get it. Maybe if these comments were a couple of weeks ago, I would understand, but the meetings last week literally had the owners expose their cards. They stopped playing games and basically said what they won't go forward without and what they're willing to do to get what they want. How can you say at this point that you don't know what the league wants? Maybe Gill needs to take Fehr up on his information sessions. He needs one.

2. A player already said that Fehr told the PA that they can still get a better deal than what the league last suggested to them during the discussions last week. If you just want to play, why is your PA using wasting time as a negotiation strategy?

And this is exactly why the players shouldn't say anything. Many times they say things that only conflict with information that's already out there or something that someone else from their own PA is saying. It's time to hang up the stupid PR talking points (from both sides). I don't doubt that both sides want to play, but both sides only want to play if the price is right for them so don't reduce the sentiment as if people are too stupid to figure it out.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:13 PM
JMT21

What players' might say publicly about the league's offer doesn't at all equate to how they might vote if given the chance. With the backlash against players whom have spoken out it should come as no surprise the most players are still (at least publicly) standing behind the PA. An anonymous vote is only way to gage the true intent of the union.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:13 PM
bennysflyers16

I wonder if tommorow's meeting will have a mediator ?

Old
12-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
There are some long contracts that were signed that do not circumvent the cap. Take the recent signings of Karlsson and Doughty. Their cap hit reflects the amount they should and would likely have earned in an open market. They are fair deals for the impact they provide and don't impede their respective clubs from signing other free agents.

If the big stars are concerned about the pay of their fellow teammates and NHLPA members, they wouldn't it seem like the honorable thing to do for say a guy like Crosby to accept a little bit less to re-sign with his club so that there is more to be spent on other members of his union?

A possible work around to calculating the cap would be to calculate the real dollar amount on a year-by-year basis towards the cap. Now that would dissuade teams from front loading.
It's probably hard to be honorable when you're being offered a boatload of money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanklite View Post
This is such a naive comment. What about the tail end of those deals?! Nobody ever answers that. It just sets the teams up to fail in 5 years.

So you have a $6M cap hit for a player who is now on the third line seeing 8 minutes a game... That only hurts the team, the product and the franchise value.
This is the reasoning I've seen put forth by the media and players. Why is it naive? The idea is that guys like Malkin and Crosby will get paid no matter what. If they're on a 5 year contract, their cap hit will be higher. That could be between 3-4 million that doesn't get spread among other players on the team.

I personally believe it only affects a select few teams with megastars, but it's certainly not inaccurate. It could create a situation where those teams might not be able to build decent depth because players would rather go to teams with more cap money available to pay non superstars.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 677
I think it's a good idea to have a mediator present now. Both sides are close and know what they can budge on but after Fehr trying to pocket the NHL concessions last week, I can imagine the discussion climate isn't the best at the moment.

Having a negotiator put together a proposal both sides can live with might work this time.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
It's probably hard to be honorable when you're being offered a boatload of money
No one ever said it's as easy to be an honorable person as it is to be a greedy one.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Andy

the bullying that occurs to players that disagree with the union is ****ing pathetic.

Old
Hanklite*
Bettman's Bro

Quote:
This is the reasoning I've seen put forth by the media and players. Why is it naive? The idea is that guys like Malkin and Crosby will get paid no matter what. If they're on a 5 year contract, their cap hit will be higher. That could be between 3-4 million that doesn't get spread among other players on the team.

I personally believe it only affects a select few teams without megastars, but it's certainly not inaccurate. It could create a situation where those teams might not be able to build decent depth because players would rather go to teams with more cap money available to pay non superstars.
It is naive because it only looks at one side of the story. The players love to say how good it is for the middle class now, but what about later on? You cant have it both ways. Cheating the system at the beginning means getting screwed by the system at the end.

Sure, you may save $4M in cap space during the first years of the contract but you are wasting $4M in cap space at the end. That money is getting tied up no matter how it is allocated. Why not just level the AAV and only pay the players their market value for a shorter term.

Old
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Tells me they've agreed to let the minor differences get worked out by a neutral party. Good for Fehr, he gets a little more out of the NHL. I cant help but get optimistic but Fehr may just make the collective NHL fan's heart collapse, again.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
Quote:
Donc mťdiation demain dans les nťgociations de la LNH. La rencontre aura lieu ŗ New York dans un endroit qui va demeurer secret.
https://twitter.com/renlavoierds/sta...79097121218560

Meetings will be tomorrow in a undisclosed place in New York City

Old
12-11-2012, 02:18 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

the secret location will be at the nhl's request.

https://twitter.com/tpanotchCSN/stat...79065785548802

Closed Thread