HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout XXVI: 57 Hockey Channels (And Nothin' On)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-11-2012, 02:00 PM
  #426
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 32,285
vCash: 500
For the life of me, I can't fathom why a majority of players are unwilling to accept a term-limit on contracts when such a small minority of players even receive contract offers that or 5 or more years in length.

Here's the full list of players who are on 5+ year contracts in the NHL.
http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-cont...-more-options/

The list is mostly of star players, but there are quite a few free agent signings that received outlandishly long contracts in order for teams to circumvent the cap. This is one loophole that has to be closed in the next CBA, and the players should learn to accept it.

Ziggy Stardust is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:02 PM
  #427
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?
 
FanSince2014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Then the owner needs to hire better management and coaching.
Yes, that's it.

It would have nothing to do with the lockout.

FanSince2014 is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:02 PM
  #428
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
For the life of me, I can't fathom why a majority of players are unwilling to accept a term-limit on contracts when such a small minority of players even receive contract offers that or 5 or more years in length.

Here's the full list of players who are on 5+ year contracts in the NHL.
http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-cont...-more-options/

The list is mostly of star players, but there are quite a few free agent signings that received outlandishly long contracts in order for teams to circumvent the cap. This is one loophole that has to be closed in the next CBA, and the players should learn to accept it.
Long contracts reduce the cap hit for big stars. That leaves more cap space and thus more pay for middle/lower class players.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:02 PM
  #429
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth
 
MacOfNiagara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Niagara Falls
Country: United States
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch
"I can't wait to see what his teammates do when guys go after him." Philly's Scott Hartnell on @TEAM1200Ottawa on Roman Hamrlik. #NHL #NHLPA

https://twitter.com/SunGarrioch/stat...43587791220737

IMO it says a lot more about Hartnell than it does about Hamrlik

MacOfNiagara is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:03 PM
  #430
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User
 
OrangeZebra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Ryan Porth ‏@Smashville247
A frustrated Hal Gill: "We want to get a deal done and play hockey; they donít. Thatís what it comes down to. Itís hard to be optimistic."
Are they kidding me? Fehr is the one who told them to wait out or a better deal.

OrangeZebra is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:03 PM
  #431
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince2012 View Post
Yes, that's it.

It would have nothing to do with the lockout.
It doesn't. I'm pretty sure he's talking about how the players get paid regardless of how good the team is. My response is that the owner should correct the problem with his team.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:05 PM
  #432
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
Are they kidding me? Fehr is the one who told them to wait out or a better deal.


This is why I have 0 faith this thing gets done. Fehr can tell them to holdout for a better deal while spinning it as the owners not wanting to negotiate. The man is a revolutionary. Also the reason the NHL is stalled.

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:07 PM
  #433
StevensCakeBakerBacker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country:
Posts: 1,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince2012 View Post
Who does he think he's kidding?
The casual fans and PA fan boys?

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:09 PM
  #434
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,934
vCash: 500
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod
Told by multiple sources that tomorrow's CBA meeting between NHL and NHLPA will likely include federal mediators.

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/...77222305058816

UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:10 PM
  #435
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 32,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Long contracts reduce the cap hit for big stars. That leaves more cap space and thus more pay for middle/lower class players.
There are some long contracts that were signed that do not circumvent the cap. Take the recent signings of Karlsson and Doughty. Their cap hit reflects the amount they should and would likely have earned in an open market. They are fair deals for the impact they provide and don't impede their respective clubs from signing other free agents.

If the big stars are concerned about the pay of their fellow teammates and NHLPA members, they wouldn't it seem like the honorable thing to do for say a guy like Crosby to accept a little bit less to re-sign with his club so that there is more to be spent on other members of his union?

A possible work around to calculating the cap would be to calculate the real dollar amount on a year-by-year basis towards the cap. Now that would dissuade teams from front loading.

Ziggy Stardust is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:10 PM
  #436
Hanklite*
Bettman's Bro
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TO
Country: Canada
Posts: 996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Long contracts reduce the cap hit for big stars. That leaves more cap space and thus more pay for middle/lower class players.
This is such a naive comment. What about the tail end of those deals?! Nobody ever answers that. It just sets the teams up to fail in 5 years.

So you have a $6M cap hit for a player who is now on the third line seeing 8 minutes a game... That only hurts the team, the product and the franchise value.

Hanklite* is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:12 PM
  #437
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
CBA meetings between NHL and NHLPA that are to take place at undisclosed location WILL involve a mediator
https://twitter.com/aaronward_nhl/st...77376613498880

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:12 PM
  #438
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard
 
CBJWennberg41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 13,944
vCash: 500
Meeting will have mediator

CBJWennberg41 is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:12 PM
  #439
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod
Told by multiple sources that tomorrow's CBA meeting between NHL and NHLPA will likely include federal mediators.

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/...77222305058816
I hope that the mediators actually try to take the midway point between what both parties want (instead of 5 or 7 years, go for 6 and so on). Seriously, enough of this ****ing **** .

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:12 PM
  #440
Ari91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Ryan Porth ‏@Smashville247
A frustrated Hal Gill: "We want to get a deal done and play hockey; they donít. Thatís what it comes down to. Itís hard to be optimistic."

Ryan Porth ‏@Smashville247
Gill: "For the life of me I canít figure out what they want. Iím so sick and tired of the strategy." #Preds #NHL

Ryan Porth ‏@Smashville247
Gill: "For the owners to pull away from the table and not be willing to discuss things with Fehr, itís embarrassing. Enough is enough."

https://twitter.com/Smashville247/st...69433100849152
https://twitter.com/Smashville247/st...69942805254145
https://twitter.com/Smashville247/st...70366954262528

this is getting so tiresome
There are two things about his comments that amuse me.

1. The owners literally said, we want 'a,b and c' and we'll give you 'x, y and z' to get it. Maybe if these comments were a couple of weeks ago, I would understand, but the meetings last week literally had the owners expose their cards. They stopped playing games and basically said what they won't go forward without and what they're willing to do to get what they want. How can you say at this point that you don't know what the league wants? Maybe Gill needs to take Fehr up on his information sessions. He needs one.

2. A player already said that Fehr told the PA that they can still get a better deal than what the league last suggested to them during the discussions last week. If you just want to play, why is your PA using wasting time as a negotiation strategy?

And this is exactly why the players shouldn't say anything. Many times they say things that only conflict with information that's already out there or something that someone else from their own PA is saying. It's time to hang up the stupid PR talking points (from both sides). I don't doubt that both sides want to play, but both sides only want to play if the price is right for them so don't reduce the sentiment as if people are too stupid to figure it out.

Ari91 is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:13 PM
  #441
JMT21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 844
vCash: 500
What players' might say publicly about the league's offer doesn't at all equate to how they might vote if given the chance. With the backlash against players whom have spoken out it should come as no surprise the most players are still (at least publicly) standing behind the PA. An anonymous vote is only way to gage the true intent of the union.

JMT21 is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:13 PM
  #442
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 18,545
vCash: 500
I wonder if tommorow's meeting will have a mediator ?

bennysflyers16 is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:14 PM
  #443
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
There are some long contracts that were signed that do not circumvent the cap. Take the recent signings of Karlsson and Doughty. Their cap hit reflects the amount they should and would likely have earned in an open market. They are fair deals for the impact they provide and don't impede their respective clubs from signing other free agents.

If the big stars are concerned about the pay of their fellow teammates and NHLPA members, they wouldn't it seem like the honorable thing to do for say a guy like Crosby to accept a little bit less to re-sign with his club so that there is more to be spent on other members of his union?

A possible work around to calculating the cap would be to calculate the real dollar amount on a year-by-year basis towards the cap. Now that would dissuade teams from front loading.
It's probably hard to be honorable when you're being offered a boatload of money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanklite View Post
This is such a naive comment. What about the tail end of those deals?! Nobody ever answers that. It just sets the teams up to fail in 5 years.

So you have a $6M cap hit for a player who is now on the third line seeing 8 minutes a game... That only hurts the team, the product and the franchise value.
This is the reasoning I've seen put forth by the media and players. Why is it naive? The idea is that guys like Malkin and Crosby will get paid no matter what. If they're on a 5 year contract, their cap hit will be higher. That could be between 3-4 million that doesn't get spread among other players on the team.

I personally believe it only affects a select few teams with megastars, but it's certainly not inaccurate. It could create a situation where those teams might not be able to build decent depth because players would rather go to teams with more cap money available to pay non superstars.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:15 PM
  #444
Freudian
Deja vu again?
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 31,457
vCash: 677
I think it's a good idea to have a mediator present now. Both sides are close and know what they can budge on but after Fehr trying to pocket the NHL concessions last week, I can imagine the discussion climate isn't the best at the moment.

Having a negotiator put together a proposal both sides can live with might work this time.

Freudian is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:16 PM
  #445
Boltsfan2029
Registered User
 
Boltsfan2029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In deleted threads
Country: United States
Posts: 6,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
It's probably hard to be honorable when you're being offered a boatload of money
No one ever said it's as easy to be an honorable person as it is to be a greedy one.

Boltsfan2029 is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:17 PM
  #446
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,038
vCash: 500
the bullying that occurs to players that disagree with the union is ****ing pathetic.

Andy is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:17 PM
  #447
Hanklite*
Bettman's Bro
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TO
Country: Canada
Posts: 996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
This is the reasoning I've seen put forth by the media and players. Why is it naive? The idea is that guys like Malkin and Crosby will get paid no matter what. If they're on a 5 year contract, their cap hit will be higher. That could be between 3-4 million that doesn't get spread among other players on the team.

I personally believe it only affects a select few teams without megastars, but it's certainly not inaccurate. It could create a situation where those teams might not be able to build decent depth because players would rather go to teams with more cap money available to pay non superstars.
It is naive because it only looks at one side of the story. The players love to say how good it is for the middle class now, but what about later on? You cant have it both ways. Cheating the system at the beginning means getting screwed by the system at the end.

Sure, you may save $4M in cap space during the first years of the contract but you are wasting $4M in cap space at the end. That money is getting tied up no matter how it is allocated. Why not just level the AAV and only pay the players their market value for a shorter term.

Hanklite* is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:17 PM
  #448
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Tells me they've agreed to let the minor differences get worked out by a neutral party. Good for Fehr, he gets a little more out of the NHL. I cant help but get optimistic but Fehr may just make the collective NHL fan's heart collapse, again.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:18 PM
  #449
Gibson Les Palms
Registered User
 
Gibson Les Palms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,752
vCash: 814
Quote:
Donc mťdiation demain dans les nťgociations de la LNH. La rencontre aura lieu ŗ New York dans un endroit qui va demeurer secret.
https://twitter.com/renlavoierds/sta...79097121218560

Meetings will be tomorrow in a undisclosed place in New York City

Gibson Les Palms is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 02:18 PM
  #450
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,934
vCash: 500
the secret location will be at the nhl's request.

https://twitter.com/tpanotchCSN/stat...79065785548802

UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.