HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2013: closest WJC we've seen?

Old
12-11-2012, 11:49 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
2013: closest WJC we've seen?

I don't know about you guys, but based on the rosters I've been seeing this looks like it could be the most even WJHC we've seen yet or in a very long time. Yes we have favourites to win the tourney, but some other teams can play spoiler like Finland or Czech Republic while other teams may surprise a few people like Latvia and Slovakia. Maybe even Germany or Switzerland can take some games into overtime and situations like that. Definitely looking forward to this years tournament.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Nash

vCash: 500
The top two teams still look a step above everyone, but the next 4 are more even then ever. Really happy with Finland and Czech team improvement. With great goaltending and team play, anyone can win.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Huffman

We are probably going to see a few blowouts like always, perhaps not as many as in previous years though..

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:57 PM
SH15

I don't see how it could possibly be closer than last year

SF: SWE/FIN - Shootout
SF: CAN/RUS - 6-5 final (INSANE GAME)
Gold: SWE/RUS - 1-0 OT game

Doesn't get closer than that!

But yes, I'm pumped for this year. Should be close again. USA and Finland are not getting nearly enough talk for the talent they are bringing.

SH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:01 PM
bruinsfan46

Ummm... No, Canada is a pretty substantial favourite with a lockout. Last year was much closer on paper and turned into reality. If there wasn't a lockout we'd have a conversation about this year, it would look pretty wide open but Canada is stacked with their NHLers (well one proven NHLer and Huberdeau, Hamilton and Scheifele who I assume would be in the NHL).

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Ummm... No, Canada is a pretty substantial favourite with a lockout. Last year was much closer on paper and turned into reality. If there wasn't a lockout we'd have a conversation about this year, it would look pretty wide open but Canada is stacked with their NHLers (well one proven NHLer and Huberdeau, Hamilton and Scheifele who I assume would be in the NHL).
I disagree, I think Russians and Swedes could match this years Canadian talent. And it was proven not long ago.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:19 PM
scid14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
I disagree, I think Russians and Swedes could match this years Canadian talent. And it was proven not long ago.
Sweden with Klefbom, Brodin, and Zibanejad then It's closer. Without them, not so much. Russia is definitely up there in the talent pool. However, talent? I think Canada is unmatched this year talent-wise. Russia will definitely compete with them but just look at the two rosters and on paper it is Canada easily.

Canada was split up into 3 different teams for the SS while the Russians had their full team. Combine those Canadian teams and add RNH? Canada is the favourite.

scid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:20 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
What was proven not long ago? A completely healthy Sweden team would be awfully tough competition but no Klefbom, Zibanejad and Brodin (last I heard) is a killer. Russia won the Subway Series, has great goaltending and some high end skill but struggled mightily to score and even generate offense against the OHL and the first WHL game. I truly believe on paper heading in Canada is a substantial favourite. Doesn't mean they're going to win because who knows how the games play out, the goaltending could blow again or the offense might not click but I don't the title of this thread is justified before any games have been played and there is one team which pretty clearly has the most talent.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
What was proven not long ago? A completely healthy Sweden team would be awfully tough competition but no Klefbom, Zibanejad and Brodin (last I heard) is a killer. Russia won the Subway Series, has great goaltending and some high end skill but struggled mightily to score and even generate offense against the OHL and the first WHL game. I truly believe on paper heading in Canada is a substantial favourite. Doesn't mean they're going to win because who knows how the games play out, the goaltending could blow again or the offense might not click but I don't the title of this thread is justified before any games have been played and there is one team which pretty clearly has the most talent.
August Super Series

Old
12-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by scid14 View Post
Sweden with Klefbom, Brodin, and Zibanejad then It's closer. Without them, not so much. Russia is definitely up there in the talent pool. However, talent? I think Canada is unmatched this year talent-wise. Russia will definitely compete with them but just look at the two rosters and on paper it is Canada easily.

Canada was split up into 3 different teams for the SS while the Russians had their full team. Combine those Canadian teams and add RNH? Canada is the favourite.
I really don't understand how you guys measure "talent"? Is it NHL draft or TSN rankings?? Because I really doubt you guys watch any KHL to have an idea of the talent on the Russian team(?!)

Did you forget the August SS when Canada DID combine those? Yes you add RNH, but then take away Murray. You could also add Kucherov and Khokhlochev to team Russia, 2 top 6 players- and it still remains about the same.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:26 PM
scid14

Quote:
August Super Series
As I said above, that's 3 different Canadian teams, add all that talent together and then on top of that add RNH and Canada is not the same teams Russia played against in the SS.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
An more even WJC would be fun. Hopefully Canada could challange Sweden like Russia did last tournament

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:30 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
August Super Series
Split squad games in August and Subban only played one game. That was a preseason tournament, I think we've proven a lot in sports preseason doesn't predict much. Russia hasn't even seen RNH this year, he's kinda good you know. Canada can lose but the title still seems unjustified to me.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:34 PM
flames12

Russia and everyone will lose to Canada for that matter. Russia will have no answer for RNH.

flames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:36 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
I really don't understand how you guys measure "talent"? Is it NHL draft or TSN rankings?? Because I really doubt you guys watch any KHL to have an idea of the talent on the Russian team(?!)

Did you forget the August SS when Canada DID combine those? Yes you add RNH, but then take away Murray. You could also add Kucherov and Khokhlochev to team Russia, 2 top 6 players- and it still remains about the same.
Of the ten games played between Canada-Russia junior teams this year you've seen our best goalie for one and a half games (the half he even didn't have to do anything, a measley seven shots) and our best player (the best under 20 player in the world, the only one who's done anything in the NHL) for zero games. Canada also is having its first training camp right now, you know building some actual chemistry.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:36 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:

Pretty much

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:37 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post
I don't see how it could possibly be closer than last year

SF: SWE/FIN - Shootout
SF: CAN/RUS - 6-5 final (INSANE GAME)
Gold: SWE/RUS - 1-0 OT game

Doesn't get closer than that!

But yes, I'm pumped for this year. Should be close again. USA and Finland are not getting nearly enough talk for the talent they are bringing.
That semi-final... Oh Lordy. I almost thought they could have completed the comeback

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by scid14 View Post
As I said above, that's 3 different Canadian teams, add all that talent together and then on top of that add RNH and Canada is not the same teams Russia played against in the SS.
What are you talking about? that was 1 Canadian team. Are you talking about the Subway Super Series or did you forget the August Series where Canada put all their best together?? The rules were the same for both teams and they both had the same number of players. Both teams changed players. The terms were exactly even, both were in preseason.

Wow, these Canadian excuses are just unbelievable

Old
12-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Hale The Villain

The Americans aren't getting enough credit here.

Solid forward group all the way down to the 4th line. Some high end talent and a lot of two way players and grinders that can score. Could win a lot of close games. Their defense can challenge that of Canada for best in the tourney IMO. I expect Trouba and Jones to be two of the best defensemen in the tournament. I think its safe to say they have the best goaltending by a fair margin. Gibson is in my mind the best goaltender, and Gillies and Sparks are solid backup options.

They should be considered the favourites along with Canada IMO.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:58 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
I wasn't talking about the major teams.......

Also you're a really good poster, but this post screams homer to me.

Last edited by S E P H: 12-11-2012 at 02:04 PM.
S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Of the ten games played between Canada-Russia junior teams this year you've seen our best goalie for one and a half games (the half he even didn't have to do anything, a measley seven shots) and our best player (the best under 20 player in the world, the only one who's done anything in the NHL) for zero games. Canada also is having its first training camp right now, you know building some actual chemistry.
I don't get it, Russia is also having a training camp now as well (in fact they started on the 7th), so is nearly every other team. And Russia has been building chemistry since August.

Is it impossible to score on Subban or something?

What is your point?

Old
12-11-2012, 02:10 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
The Americans aren't getting enough credit here.

Solid forward group all the way down to the 4th line. Some high end talent and a lot of two way players and grinders that can score. Could win a lot of close games. Their defense can challenge that of Canada for best in the tourney IMO. I expect Trouba and Jones to be two of the best defensemen in the tournament. I think its safe to say they have the best goaltending by a fair margin. Gibson is in my mind the best goaltender, and Gillies and Sparks are solid backup options.

They should be considered the favourites along with Canada IMO.
I absolutely agree. Canada and Russia have the best squads on paper, but USA, Sweden, Finland, Czechs are all solid sqauds that are in the same ballpark. We have to remember how young all these guys are, you never know who won't show up for a game, or who will overachieve.

Trouba and Jones look like an exciting aspect of the US team as well.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Split squad games in August and Subban only played one game. That was a preseason tournament, I think we've proven a lot in sports preseason doesn't predict much. Russia hasn't even seen RNH this year, he's kinda good you know. Canada can lose but the title still seems unjustified to me.
If I had to guess, I would say you're just out of the loop about the international jr competitions. Because the logic behind your predictions sounds misinformed and confused.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:16 PM
scid14

Quote:
What are you talking about? that was 1 Canadian team. Are you talking about the Subway Super Series or did you forget the August Series where Canada put all their best together?? The rules were the same for both teams and they both had the same number of players. Both teams changed players. The terms were exactly even, both were in preseason.

Wow, these Canadian excuses are just unbelievable
If you would read the posts then you would see I was talking about the SS. None of the posts yet have been excuses because nothing has happened. It's a single elimination tournament....anything can happen. However to argue that Canada are not considered to be the favourites is silly.

That's all I am saying. Not taking any shots at Russia or the players. Russia has a very competitive team for this tournament. But they can't ice a team that would be considered the favourites over Canada.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:20 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

It's always better to not be the favourites.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote