HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Sauer out with concussion (1/18: Still "month-to-month")

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 12:28 PM
NYRKindms

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
$3 doesn't set you up for life. Are you kidding me?!

1. The tax rate for a single guy making a lot of money annually is over 50%. That already takes him to under $1.5.

2. A small 2-bedroom condo in a middle class Brooklyn neighborhood like Park Slope (not near the park itself) will cost him over half a million. I'm not talking about buying a rocking pad in Midtown. I'm talking about a 900 sq foot apartment in Brooklyn. Throw in furniture, car, routine expenses, and he is down to a few hundred thousand dollars. That doesn't set you up for life.

3. There's inflation. Even if he has half a million saved up after buying and furnishing/fixing up his condo, that money will lose half its value every 20 years or so.

4. The saved up money he has may get him about $1k a month in revenue from a safe investment in his bank (a CD or something like that) or he can buy himself a small bar or another small business, but it certainly will not be enough for him to survive on for the rest of his life. Sauer will have to have a regular, middle class job if he retires today.

5. And that's why he will likely refuse to retire if he can help it. If he manages to make another million in post-tax income, he will be able to live a middle class lifestyle without having to scramble to get a middle-class job.
The highest federal tax rate in the US is 35%.

If he still has 3Mil and has any decent investments he could certainly live off 3 million dollars for the rest of his life. He would be living an OK existence like a regular person 40k - 60k type of living.

He could buy a house out right for like 400k or so. That would leave 2.6 Mil. He could pay himself 100k per year for the next 26 years. I think most people would be very happy to be pulling down 100k for the next 20+ years.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
And because of this, I think he will be done. The prognosis is awful. There's been little to no improvement in his status. He still can't do all daily activities without feeling symptoms.

Where did you get the information that he can't do his daily activities and has shown little to no improvement? This flies in the face of everything else we've heard.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:37 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post

If he still has 3Mil and has any decent investments he could certainly live off 3 million dollars for the rest of his life. He would be living an OK existence like a regular person 40k - 60k type of living.

He could buy a house out right for like 400k or so. That would leave 2.6 Mil. He could pay himself 100k per year for the next 26 years. I think most people would be very happy to be pulling down 100k for the next 20+ years.
He could do much better than that. There are quite a few financial institutions paying close to double digit interest. Even if he only made 5% after taxes, that's still 130k/year and he's not touching the principal.

Last edited by broadwayblue: 12-10-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 12:41 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Well you've got to assume he's spent a decent bit of his earnings already. And don't forget he's not getting the $750k from the first half of this season.

Plus, Beacon's assessment of his total tax burden is pretty accurate. Sure the top federal rate is 35% but there are also state & local taxes.

Either way, real sad we are having this conversation. I'm sure Michael will be able to get a good paying job in hockey (or elsewhere) if it comes to it.

12-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
No matter what progress he makes, sadly Sauer is just one hard bump in the head away for being permanently out. Best thing for this guy would be to retire and try to atleast have a normal life after hockey
This is pretty much true for every single hockey player though. There seems to be some discussion on whether or not sustaining a concussion makes you vulnerable to future concussions if you're allowed to heal fully.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:37 PM
jw2

Quote:
Where did you get the information that he can't do his daily activities and has shown little to no improvement? This flies in the face of everything else we've heard.
Really? Then you need to look around. Tortorella gave you the clues a couple months ago.

Other than that, HIPAA...

Old
12-10-2012, 02:04 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
$3 doesn't set you up for life. Are you kidding me?!

1. The tax rate for a single guy making a lot of money annually is over 50%. That already takes him to under $1.5.

2. A small 2-bedroom condo in a middle class Brooklyn neighborhood like Park Slope (not near the park itself) will cost him over half a million. I'm not talking about buying a rocking pad in Midtown. I'm talking about a 900 sq foot apartment in Brooklyn. Throw in furniture, car, routine expenses, and he is down to a few hundred thousand dollars. That doesn't set you up for life.

3. There's inflation. Even if he has half a million saved up after buying and furnishing/fixing up his condo, that money will lose half its value every 20 years or so.

4. The saved up money he has may get him about $1k a month in revenue from a safe investment in his bank (a CD or something like that) or he can buy himself a small bar or another small business, but it certainly will not be enough for him to survive on for the rest of his life. Sauer will have to have a regular, middle class job if he retires today.

5. And that's why he will likely refuse to retire if he can help it. If he manages to make another million in post-tax income, he will be able to live a middle class lifestyle without having to scramble to get a middle-class job.
If you have $1,5 M in the bank at the mere age of 25-26 ( at least what should be left there after taxes) you are certainly with a prerequisite of Living a life better economically than most people can ever Dream of attaining.
Invest it wisely and your return Will generate at least $120.000 per annum. Which is more than double the average family income in the US. Without lifting a finger or "working another hour". If that is not a good basis for having a good setup - well then most people here must have really made it really big? And good for them then...
I should mention that I know a bit about this as I am in such a similar situation now as Miste Sauer is - but in addition choose to live where the cost of living is less than one third of that in the US/Sweden/Germany/Canada/Iceland... (All countries where I used to dwell). The buck goes a long way in some places. But there are of course drawbacks to living in any country and/or choices of ones lifestyle.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:27 PM
jw2

He will also be entitled to Workers Comp, disability and the NHLPA has an injury fund.

Still, far from 'comfortable' (especially considering) but as long as he didn't go "NBA" with his paychecks on a weekly basis, he should be fine for awhile.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post

Gotta love people who don't pay taxes and never made any money, but want to talk trash because they are jealous of others.

In addition to 35% income tax, you pay almost 8% SS tax (double that if you are running your own business), plus state and local taxes. I make significantly less than Sauer, and I take less than half my money home.

For all the BS talk about the "1%" notpaying their fair share, the top 1% pay over 40% of taxes and the top 5% pay 80% of taxes. There is a reason for this, and the fact that nobody is taking taxes into account is a sign of utter ignorance.

Sauer's take-home was no more than $1.5. Buying a small Brooklyn condo will run him a minimum of half a million, plus all types of fees and expenses (furniture, fixup, et). He will be left with no more than $800k to live about 60 years from his rookie year to death, assuming average life span.

That comes out to $13,000 a year. Can you survive on that? But wait there is more... Inflation reduces this in half every 20 years. So when he is 43, it becomes $6,500 in today's money. And when he is 65, it will be about $3k in today's purchasing power.

What upsets me most about your statement is to compare a world talent who practiced since the age of 5, and left his home at the age of 16 to take a huge risk to whom? People who spent their youth smoking weed and generally having fun?

There are 3 rules of success:

1. The more you work when you are young, the less you work as an adult.
2. The riskier your action, the higher the payoff.
3. A rare talent gets paid more than a person without an irreplaceable skill.

Major league players qualify under all three. "The Average Joe" does not. A no talent person who didn't even bother to do homework as a child, much less train for something, who never took any risks (start a business, etc) cannot compare himself to an NHLer. He flat out does not deserve am above average lifestyle because he never did anything above average.

Last edited by Beacon: 12-10-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 05:54 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Quote:
Gotta love people who don't pay taxes and never made any money, but want to talk trash because they are jealous of others.

In addition to 35% income tax, you pay almost 8% SS tax (double that if you are running your own business), plus state and local taxes. I make significantly less than Sauer, and I take less than half my money home.

For all the BS talk about the "1%" notpaying their fair share, the top 1% pay over 40% of taxes and the top 5% pay 80% of taxes. There is a reason for this, and the fact that nobody is taking taxes into account is a sign of utter ignorance.

Sauer's take-home was no more than $1.5. Buying a small Brooklyn condo will run him a minimum of half a million, plus all types of fees and expenses (furniture, fixup, et). He will be left with no more than $800k to live about 60 years from his rookie year to death, assuming average life span.

That comes out to $13,000 a year. Can you survive on that? But wait there is more... Inflation reduces this in half every 20 years. So when he is 43, it becomes $6,500 in today's money. And when he is 65, it will be about $3k in today's purchasing power.

What upsets me most about your statement is to compare a world talent who practiced since the age of 5, and left his home at the age of 16 to take a huge risk to whom? People who spent their youth smoking weed and generally having fun?

There are 3 rules of success:

1. The more you work when you are young, the less you work as an adult.
2. The riskier your action, the higher the payoff.
3. A rare talent gets paid more than a person without an irreplaceable skill.

Major league players qualify under all three. "The Average Joe" does not. A no talent person who didn't even bother to do homework as a child, much less train for something, who never took any risks (start a business, etc) cannot compare himself to an NHLer. He flat out does not deserve am above average lifestyle because he never did anything above average.
thanks for making this post, I was ready to post similar sentiments

Old
12-11-2012, 12:12 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
And because of this, I think he will be done. The prognosis is awful. There's been little to no improvement in his status. He still can't do all daily activities without feeling symptoms.
You got a source for this? You sound pretty definitive.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I'd like to see a source as well.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Levitate

My impression was that his day to day activities are fine but he hasn't been able to train up to the level required to be a professional athlete.

I mean, he was out bass fishing with his brother during the summer, so somehow I don't think he's been totally Chris Pronger'd here

Old
12-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
My impression was that his day to day activities are fine but he hasn't been able to train up to the level required to be a professional athlete.

I mean, he was out bass fishing with his brother during the summer, so somehow I don't think he's been totally Chris Pronger'd here
Nah, cant be.

That poster jw2 makes it seem like he cant go to the bathroom by himself.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I've been waiting for that source for a few days now.

There is no source. Just an opinion that's being pawned off as a fact.

Hell, he believes that a 5th round draft pick is worthy compensation for Sauer at this point.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:23 PM
jw2

As far as source, that was mentioned, (if you have a clue about that stuff).

I have no problem with what others want to think. I was just trying to shed more light on the situation, but I don't need to. We can just keep shooting darts in the dark if that's more entertaining.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
I don't. Could you help me out?

Old
12-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
He seems to be referencing some stuff Tortorella and Larry Brooks said back in August or so. Tortorella said something about him "not responding well" and Brooks said that he wasn't symptom free.

That doesn't really give us a clear picture, though. It's obvious he can't train for hockey but beyond that we don't have much information.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:

I have no problem with what others want to think. I was just trying to shed more light on the situation, but I don't need to. We can just keep shooting darts in the dark if that's more entertaining.
Shooting darts in the dark? I think Helen Keller would have a better job explaining why she thinks Sauer's career is done than the nonsense you keep repeating.

We all know the severity of concussions. You don't even have to be a die-hard hockey fan to acknowledge that. The more recent reports suggest Sauers been improving though. Why are you discrediting that information?

You then compare Sauer's value to a 5th round draft pick, because a half a decade ago the Leafs acquired Hollweg, who you think is comparible in value to a concussed Sauer.

You need a reality check.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:50 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
If the NHL opens its season in January, the Rangers’ big guns will be healthy and ready to rock.

Marian Gaborik (offseason shoulder surgery), Rick Nash (aggravated groin) and Carl Hagelin (shoulder) all would be available for an early-January training camp and start to the season, the Daily News has learned.
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...y-rangers-if-n

DZ's back injury is not serious.

No mention of Sauer.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I can. I think hes referring to a quote from Torts from back in the summer - something very random about him "not coming along as we would hope."

That was about 4 or 5 months ago. Without any new information, and clearly not being familiar with concussions in general, this poster took it upon himself to declare Sauer's career as over.

That help?

Old
12-11-2012, 04:04 PM
jw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Shooting darts in the dark? I think Helen Keller would have a better job explaining why she thinks Sauer's career is done than the nonsense you keep repeating.

We all know the severity of concussions. You don't even have to be a die-hard hockey fan to acknowledge that. The more recent reports suggest Sauers been improving though. Why are you discrediting that information?

You then compare Sauer's value to a 5th round draft pick, because a half a decade ago the Leafs acquired Hollweg, who you think is comparible in value to a concussed Sauer.

You need a reality check.
Yes because concussed depth defenseman usually get a lottery pick in return. Right?

It's nonsense because you choose not to believe the information that was provided to you. That's all I will say. If you want to keep your hopes up, read articles from last January when he tried to make a come back.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Yes because concussed depth defenseman usually get a lottery pick in return. Right?

It's nonsense because you choose not to believe the information that was provided to you. That's all I will say. If you want to keep your hopes up, read articles from last January when he tried to make a come back.
There's everything you need to know, folks! Michael Sauer is on par with Stu Bickel.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Vitto79

So Gabby will be ready if they play in Jan, lovely..............Never worried about Nash, DZ or Hagelin..........better to play it safe..................I imagine Sauer needs time in CT even if he was healthy

Old
12-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:

1. Are those the only options? A fifth rounder or a lottery pick? Nothing in between? He can't be worth a second, for instance?

2. There are no reports. Not new ones, anyway. One old one says he is making tremendous progress, then another one saying he won't be ready in September. Then we got months of silence. In four months, a lot of things change. He is probably just resting and taking it as easy as possible just in case. Thats the smart thing to do while the league is shut down. I bet nobody knows right now when he will be ready because it would be dumb to put him through the rigors of a test for no reason. We will know how he feels shortly after the new CBA is signed.

Last edited by Beacon: 12-12-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Closed Thread