HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Canada's biggest rival? USA or Russia

View Poll Results: Canada's biggest rival? USA or Russia
USA 83 37.90%
Russia 108 49.32%
too close to call 28 12.79%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-08-2012, 05:13 PM
  #51
MrFunnyWobbl
So Aaron Baddeley
 
MrFunnyWobbl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Walking on the moon
Country: Comoros
Posts: 17,851
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Russia

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 07:01 PM
  #52
TwistedWrister90
Registered User
 
TwistedWrister90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Well last year they were booing the Americans when they weren't even playing Canada. Don't remember that being done to the Ruskies.
It's a sign of insecurity. Take it as a compliment

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 08:52 PM
  #53
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,099
vCash: 500
USA.. Can't stand em.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 10:30 PM
  #54
FinRuutu
Red Wins
 
FinRuutu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,387
vCash: 50
For what I've seen; Canadians wants to beat Russians but doesn't wanna lose to US.

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:41 PM
  #55
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,017
vCash: 500
Overall it is Russia, no doubt. This goes back to 1972 while the US goes back, maybe to 1991 at the earliest. Perhaps it wasn't until 1996 with the World Cup that the true rivalry started. So Russia has withstood the test of time with us.

I know one thing, that there is always this feeling in the air the day we play Russia that I never feel against any other country. It is a feeling that I've always got. I know that Russians are no longer "commies" but you know what, even in 2012, on the ice in an actual hockey game in my heart of heart they are still "commies" to me. I guess that's the power of hockey for you, it is just deep rooted.

The Americans are a clear #2 though. It isn't as if we don't hate them, because we do. But there has been less of a reason for us to hate them. They beat us in the World Cup in 1996 but until then we didn't really hate them because we weren't threatened by them. After that it wasn't until the 2004 WJC that we had another reason to truly hate them. Then of course 2010 again. Maybe in the Olympics there was some animosity as well. But Canada seems to win these battles more often than not. With Russia it goes in cycles. We all loved to see Ovechkin have to leave the game in the WJC in 2005. We also loved the 2010 Olympics because quite honestly the Russians seemed like the biggest threat.

I will still give the Russians the edge when it comes to my gut as to who the bigger rival is.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:43 PM
  #56
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200
 
99GoHabsGo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Charlottetown,PE
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,023
vCash: 50
For me it was always USA

but because of what has transpired in the last few years its Russia haha

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:57 PM
  #57
MastuhNinks
Registered User
 
MastuhNinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Iron Throne
Posts: 4,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Overall it is Russia, no doubt. This goes back to 1972 while the US goes back, maybe to 1991 at the earliest. Perhaps it wasn't until 1996 with the World Cup that the true rivalry started. So Russia has withstood the test of time with us.

I know one thing, that there is always this feeling in the air the day we play Russia that I never feel against any other country. It is a feeling that I've always got. I know that Russians are no longer "commies" but you know what, even in 2012, on the ice in an actual hockey game in my heart of heart they are still "commies" to me. I guess that's the power of hockey for you, it is just deep rooted.

The Americans are a clear #2 though. It isn't as if we don't hate them, because we do. But there has been less of a reason for us to hate them. They beat us in the World Cup in 1996 but until then we didn't really hate them because we weren't threatened by them. After that it wasn't until the 2004 WJC that we had another reason to truly hate them. Then of course 2010 again. Maybe in the Olympics there was some animosity as well. But Canada seems to win these battles more often than not. With Russia it goes in cycles. We all loved to see Ovechkin have to leave the game in the WJC in 2005. We also loved the 2010 Olympics because quite honestly the Russians seemed like the biggest threat.

I will still give the Russians the edge when it comes to my gut as to who the bigger rival is.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

The USA is a Canadian hockey rival, Russia is Canada's hockey enemy.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:55 AM
  #58
Smif
Registered User
 
Smif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
For what I've seen; Canadians wants to beat Russians but doesn't wanna lose to US.
This this this!

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:21 AM
  #59
HockeyFan100
Welcome to COL!
 
HockeyFan100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,603
vCash: 500
USA, but a rivalry with Russia getting big. No matter what, their rivals will always be USA.

HockeyFan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 03:02 AM
  #60
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan100 View Post
USA, but a rivalry with Russia getting big. No matter what, their rivals will always be USA.
Russia rivals with the US?

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 05:10 AM
  #61
daver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 3,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan100 View Post
USA, but a rivalry with Russia getting big. No matter what, their rivals will always be USA.
Shades of 1984

daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 03:06 PM
  #62
LeeIFBB
Teflon Doug
 
LeeIFBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tanning Bed
Posts: 1,473
vCash: 500
I feel like USA vs Canada has produced better moments. Certainly at the junior level. Every year the teams seem to outright despise each other which makes for more interesting games, IMO.

LeeIFBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 03:08 PM
  #63
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIFBB View Post
I feel like USA vs Canada has produced better moments. Certainly at the junior level. Every year the teams seem to outright despise each other which makes for more interesting games, IMO.
I dunno, Canada-Russia the last two years have been two of the most exciting games I've watched at any level.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 03:11 PM
  #64
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I dunno, Canada-Russia the last two years have been two of the most exciting games I've watched at any level.


Absolutely. That collapse was one of the greatest things I've seen on ice.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 07:35 PM
  #65
B A T M A N
Risen
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gotham
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,433
vCash: 500
Russia because they always take Canada out.
America just because of history. I find that rivalry isn't as intense as the one with the Russians currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post


Absolutely. That collapse was one of the greatest things I've seen on ice.
That's one ugly troll.

B A T M A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 07:48 PM
  #66
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 500
Anyway, probably go with Russia, though USA has certainly been giving us some good moments the last few years in the WJC and Olympics.


Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 12-11-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: qdp
LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 07:53 PM
  #67
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
I think Russians are a lot more humble when they win. Losing to the Americans is like nails on a chalkboard. I just hate it so much.
This is true. I have cousins who grew up here but go to college in the States (UConn specifically), and they told me that when the U.S. beat Canada in the preliminary round of Olympic hockey, all their U.S. college friends were chirping them hardcore, including many people who had never watched hockey before or cared about it at all. Though obviously once Canada won gold they shut up.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:34 PM
  #68
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,932
vCash: 1322
I say US,

Here is a semi OT question though.

Do you see any of the other big 7 teams having a 2nd rival?

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 11:02 PM
  #69
smokes lets go
Registered User
 
smokes lets go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,316
vCash: 500
The Russians, it's their style of hockey vs. Ours

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 11:49 PM
  #70
SensPromo
AKA "Inf4mous0ne"
 
SensPromo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,478
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
For what I've seen; Canadians wants to beat Russians but doesn't wanna lose to US.
Well put :p

SensPromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:21 AM
  #71
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
I say US,

Here is a semi OT question though.

Do you see any of the other big 7 teams having a 2nd rival?
Czechs vs Slovaks and Russians. Less so now than in 1998, but still.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:23 AM
  #72
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
This is true. I have cousins who grew up here but go to college in the States (UConn specifically), and they told me that when the U.S. beat Canada in the preliminary round of Olympic hockey, all their U.S. college friends were chirping them hardcore, including many people who had never watched hockey before or cared about it at all. Though obviously once Canada won gold they shut up.
It's also true that there are extremely annoying Canadian fans.

The difference seems to be that the more passionate the Canadian fan, the more obnoxious he/she is (although usually it's a he).

The less passionate and knowledge the American fan, the more obnoxious he/she is. (Again, so few female fans are obnoxious, as it seems to be a male trait.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:46 AM
  #73
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,932
vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Czechs vs Slovaks and Russians. Less so now than in 1998, but still.
Yeah, I guess you can call Czech-Russia a rivalry. 3 WC/Olympic finals off the top of my head. Probably a few more

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:15 AM
  #74
FinRuutu
Red Wins
 
FinRuutu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,387
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
I say US,

Here is a semi OT question though.

Do you see any of the other big 7 teams having a 2nd rival?
FIN vs SWE, western neighbor and once we were part Sweden.
FIN vs RUS, eastern neighbor and once we were part Russia.

Those reasons are as good as any to create rivalry.

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:35 AM
  #75
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,932
vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
FIN vs SWE, western neighbor and once we were part Sweden.
FIN vs RUS, eastern neighbor and once we were part Russia.

Those reasons are as good as any to create rivalry.
Fair enough

Everyone has at least 1 rival, but I guess I never thought of some of the European nation relations for rivalries beside the obvious Fin-Swe Slo-Cze

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.