HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Baseball
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

MLB off-season news and notes thread (Yankees re-sign Ichiro)

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 03:24 PM
PyroK
Cleveland for LIFE!

vCash: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
On a serious note anyone thinking a team run by Shapiro and Antonetti could win a division or a championship is deluding themselves
Yeah, we'll see, won't we.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
On a serious note anyone thinking a team run by Shapiro and Antonetti could win a division or a championship is deluding themselves

They are making moves this offseason, but are they the right moves? Is the environment there conducive for a winner?
Like I said at the time of the Acta firing, Antonetti and Shapiro are garbage.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Valrico Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Call Saul View Post
I'm annoyed that they can't dole out a multiyear deal to a guy like Martin, leaving them with a pathetic catching triumvirate. I can't stand this "one-year deal or bust" crap, and I can't stand seeing the Dodgers spend at will while the Yankee empire scales itself back because of the Steinbrenner kids - the same people responsible for saddling the Yankees with A-Rod's crippling contract.
That quite the statement considering:

Dodgers:
■2012: $105,419,833
■2011: $119,771,499
■2010: $102,090,283
■2009: $100,414,592
■2008: $118,588,536
■2007: $108,454,524
■2006: $ 98,447,187
■2005: $ 83,039,000

Yankees:
■2012: $209,792,900
■2011: $207,047,964
■2010: $213,359,389
■2009: $201,449,189
■2008: $209,081,577
■2007: $189,639,045
■2006: $194,663,079
■2005: $208,306,817

Were you complaining when ARod won his 2 MVP's as a Yankee? I doubt it.

I get a sense of entitlement reading posts like this..

Old
12-11-2012, 03:46 PM
KH1

Quote:
I don't really care about Schierholtz - he'd have been an OK pickup, but life goes on. I'm annoyed that they can't dole out a multiyear deal to a guy like Martin, leaving them with a pathetic catching triumvirate. I can't stand this "one-year deal or bust" crap, and I can't stand seeing the Dodgers spend at will while the Yankee empire scales itself back because of the Steinbrenner kids - the same people responsible for saddling the Yankees with A-Rod's crippling contract. The franchise's new $189 million payroll limit wouldn't be so bad if it a.) didn't already have so much money tied up in aging players and b.) actually had star-caliber minor league talent set to contribute. Alas, the Yankees' best prospects are nowhere near ready and now, because of all their bloated contracts, they're left to ask themselves if they should even re-sign their best player, Cano, in the next year. Speaking of the next year, the Yankees look poised to enter the 2013 season having willfully downgraded at catcher, right field, on the bench and in the bullpen. That's unacceptable.
I get your frustration, but the Yankees need to get under $189 million for one freaking season to save themselves about $50 million a year over the next 5. I'm not going to kill Hal Steinbrenner for pursuing that goal.

The Yankees are going to end up with Ichiro instead of Swisher, half a year of Youkilis instead of half a year of Chavez, and some mediocre catcher instead of the mediocre Martin (I highly doubt that they will let Stewart/Cervelli have the job, though I could be wrong.) That's a downgrade, but it's not exactly the Marlins' firesale.

And frankly, the Dodgers are not a team to envy right now. As a Yankees fan, you should now better than anyone how likely they are to regret most of these big deals once the hangover comes in about 3 years.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Mike Emrick
N'ord

Dodgers can spend out the wazoo all they want

Playoffs are too unpredictable for one to simply "buy" a championship, if they even make the playoffs

Let me know when they topple the world champs, until then, the King stay the King

Old
12-11-2012, 04:01 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valrico Gold View Post
Were you complaining when ARod won his 2 MVP's as a Yankee? I doubt it.

I get a sense of entitlement reading posts like this..

A-Rod won his 2 MVPs on his previous deal which he signed with Rangers. After winning in 07 he signed a current 10/275 contract which everyone knew was going to be a huge burden sooner or later but were hoping for later. It all started going downhill in 2010 and that's sooner than most people anticipated.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:13 PM
King Forsberg
16 21 28 44 68 88 93

vCash: 200
Quote:
“@RealGlenMacnow: My radio partner, Anthony Gargano, has it from a good source that the Phils have offered Josh Hamilton a three-year contract.”
Also read it was 3 years 80 million.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:19 PM
ROR
fka BCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Stubbs is a giant piece of crap. Offensively he's about as good as a pitcher.
For some reason I was under the impression Stubbs was a league-average hitter last season. But a .271 wOBA? Wow. I like this deal for Cleveland a lot less now than I did initially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
I get your frustration, but the Yankees need to get under $189 million for one freaking season to save themselves about $50 million a year over the next 5. I'm not going to kill Hal Steinbrenner for pursuing that goal.

The Yankees are going to end up with Ichiro instead of Swisher, half a year of Youkilis instead of half a year of Chavez, and some mediocre catcher instead of the mediocre Martin (I highly doubt that they will let Stewart/Cervelli have the job, though I could be wrong.) That's a downgrade, but it's not exactly the Marlins' firesale.

And frankly, the Dodgers are not a team to envy right now. As a Yankees fan, you should now better than anyone how likely they are to regret most of these big deals once the hangover comes in about 3 years.
1. I don't think it's necessarily a lock that the Yankees will go back over $189MM in a year or two. Hopefully they will, but that's no guarantee - especially if the Steinbrenners are preparing to sell the team, which is possible.

2. I like Ichiro, but Swisher is significantly better. Youk to NYY would assuage some of my concerns, but if he were a lock to be a Yankee, he'd have signed by now. There are other teams after him. As for catcher, unless the Yanks sign Pierzynski for a year (I don't like him, but that'd be the best option as of now), I don't see any mediocre options they could end up with. Cervelli and Stewart would be an awful combo.

3. The problem with the Dodgers is that they have Colletti running things and he's an idiot. I'm envious that they can seemingly spend ad infinitum, but I'm definitely not jealous of their GM choice.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
If the phillies did offer Hamilton that deal, I'd be okay with it

12-11-2012, 04:40 PM
MurrayBannerman
Machu Picchu Toews

vCash: 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Plus defender at SS and he's been looking for one.
Could be a decent bat too.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:42 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

No doubt. Any short term deal even if its worth as much as 30 mill per year is a good deal. Giving Hamilton more than 3 years is flirting with danger.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:20 PM
McOilbleeder
We are all Kloppites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Yeah I think that's a good deal.

Hamilton's bat is still a really nice asset, and for 3 years the risk isn't too bad.

Also with regards to the Phillies:
Quote:
The Phillies, interested in a right-handed batter to hit behind cleanup man Ryan Howard, talked to the Cubs about a swap of Domonic Brown for Alfonso Soriano

12-11-2012, 05:21 PM
McOilbleeder
We are all Kloppites

Also,

Quote:
Peter Gammons @pgammo
Clear 'Backs will lobbytalk Upton if Gregorius, Bogaerts, Simmons or Profar is avaliable, whivh none on, thus far

Old
12-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Valrico Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
A-Rod won his 2 MVPs on his previous deal which he signed with Rangers. After winning in 07 he signed a current 10/275 contract which everyone knew was going to be a huge burden sooner or later but were hoping for later. It all started going downhill in 2010 and that's sooner than most people anticipated.
None of that matters.
Yankee fans can't have it both ways.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:51 PM
KH1

Quote:
1. I don't think it's necessarily a lock that the Yankees will go back over $189MM in a year or two. Hopefully they will, but that's no guarantee - especially if the Steinbrenners are preparing to sell the team, which is possible.
I'd be shocked if the Steinbrenners actually sold the team. First of all, I believe they'd have to pay a very prohibitive capital gains tax if they sold. Second, and more importantly, the Yankees practically print their own money. As someone said when that rumor first surfaced a few months ago, rich people don't tend to cook the goose that lays golden eggs.

Quote:
2. I like Ichiro, but Swisher is significantly better. Youk to NYY would assuage some of my concerns, but if he were a lock to be a Yankee, he'd have signed by now. There are other teams after him. As for catcher, unless the Yanks sign Pierzynski for a year (I don't like him, but that'd be the best option as of now), I don't see any mediocre options they could end up with. Cervelli and Stewart would be an awful combo.
Well Youk did sign, so there's that (I would've preferred Reynolds, but it's better than Hannahan I suppose.) As for catcher, I expect they'll trade for a stopgap like Ramon Hernandez and then see if Romine could take the job next year. But only time will tell there.

Quote:
3. The problem with the Dodgers is that they have Colletti running things and he's an idiot. I'm envious that they can seemingly spend ad infinitum, but I'm definitely not jealous of their GM choice.
Gotcha. And I agree, Colletti's a garbage fire at GM.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Yeah I think that's a good deal.

Hamilton's bat is still a really nice asset, and for 3 years the risk isn't too bad.

Also with regards to the Phillies:
I'd like to think Brown has more value than Soriano. Please don't make that trade

Old
12-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 567
If that was truly offered by the Phils, we would be talking about that as a deal already done I suspect. Chicago would do it ASAP.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:33 PM
TootooTrain
Southern Hospitality

Rosenthal speculating the Napoli/Boston signing has hit a snag.
Link

Quote:
Could Mike Napoli’s deal with the Boston Red Sox be in jeopardy?

The Red Sox anticipated introducing Napoli at a news conference Tuesday, according to major-league sources, but did not go forward with the event.

Napoli, 31, reached agreement with the Red Sox on Dec. 3 on a three-year, $39 million free-agent contract, pending a physical.

Initial reports from ESPN.com and the Providence Journal said that Napoli’s physical was scheduled for last Wednesday, with an announcement expected at week’s end.

Napoli, according to a source, actually underwent the physical more recently. His deal, however, is still not official.

Neither Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington nor Napoli’s agent, Brian Grieper, responded to requests for comment.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:41 PM
MurrayBannerman
Machu Picchu Toews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
If that was truly offered by the Phils, we would be talking about that as a deal already done I suspect. Chicago would do it ASAP.
Assuming the Phils are picking up 34 million, yes. I'm not a fan of Brown at all.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Machinehead
HFB Partner

The Yankees tried for years to spend for the sake of spending and just throw it out on the field. They're finally figuring out that it's not that simple. One year for Youkilis was smart.

Also, I think people would be pleasantly surprised by Francisco Cervelli in a starting role. I'm serious.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:22 PM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Also, I think people would be pleasantly surprised by Francisco Cervelli in a starting role. I'm serious.
I think that fans of fist-pumps and comically large helmets would love Cervelli as a starter.

Fans of hitting and defense, not so much.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:27 PM
BPR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
I think that fans of fist-pumps and comically large helmets would love Cervelli as a starter.

Fans of hitting and defense, not so much.
Don't forget humorously uncoordinated slides into home plate.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:29 PM
darko

Cervelli is horrible. Back up catcher.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:32 PM
MurrayBannerman
Machu Picchu Toews

I've always liked Romine.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:42 PM
ROR
fka BCS

My hope is the Yankees sign Pierzynski for a year and Romine has a really good season in Triple-A and takes over in 2014.

Closed Thread