NHL 13 & General Video Game Discussion Part Quatre

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Flabbergasted

vCash: 50
I just started on Bioshock 2. I'm kind of annoyed that TK is such an eve-intensive plasmid now. In Bioshock 1 it was cheap enough and effective enough that I used it as my primary weapon right up until the last level or so of the game.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
I was actually expecting this one:

But I like the gif better.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

vCash: 500
I rented Far Cry 3 from redbox last night. Definitely an interesting game. I'm a bit torn right now, but I'd probably give it an 8.5 out of 10. Haven't gotten too far into it yet, 5 hours is enough to pass some judgement.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Dee Oh Cee

Halo 4 Campaign was really really good.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Flabbergasted

Welp, Bioshock 2 is all done.

Really disappointed in the ending of this one. Not the ending cinematic so much as how the game itself ended. I was not a fan of that decision.
Spoil:
I would have really preferred a big Boss Fight rather than the same crap you get when using an adopted little sister to harvest. All I had to do was set trap spears and trap rivets and proximity mines everywhere and then set up my mini turrets and stand still so natural camouflage would take effect, and then at the end cast "Summon Elenor" and wait until I have to actually hit a switch and blow up two pipes? Blah. Gimmie an actual boss battle rather than a slaughterfest of the same lame enemies I've been slaughtering the whole game.

Now I'm gonna play Quake 1. Because I'm pretty much out of new games, and I have not played through Quake 1 for like, ever.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
RE: AHL roster update

http://twitter.com/EASPORTSNHL/statu...71078870261760

OKC is gonna be screwed.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Just started Bioshock last weekend. Ugh I hate having to use power ups. Feels like 1998 all over again.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Flabbergasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Just started Bioshock last weekend. Ugh I hate having to use power ups. Feels like 1998 all over again.
Eve hypos are cheap, and money is plentiful. Its not that bad.

Some tips if you want them:
Spoil:
Once you get Telekinesis, use it to hold a corpse in front of you to use as a shield, and then throw said corpse at a splicer for what is usually a one-shot kill.

Once you get the research camera, research EVERYTHING. Splicers, security bots, big daddies, little sisters. You should never have to buy film either. The bonuses are worth it and you get several very valuable tonics from researching such as Scrounger, and Natural Camoflage. And if you research security devices enough, you can literally autohack all of them for free.

Winter Blast sucks most of the time. If you shatter an enemy who is frozen you get no loot. However, winter blast is GREAT for security devices as it causes no damage to them, leaving them in great shape after you hack them, AND it causes the current to slow down in the hacking mini-game, which helps a little until you research them up to the point where you can just hack it automatically.

Big Daddies are vulnerable to electricity. Once you get the Chemical Thrower, load up on electric gel at the u-invent stations and reserve it for big daddy fights. If you have the consumption upgrade for the thrower, you can take out a big daddy with just about one whole reload of the gel.

Hack ALL the Cameras and ALL the turrets. If you blow them up, you are wasting them. Turrets and Cameras are basically free kills while you are wandering around looking for stuff as splicers randomly spawn and your hacked goodies take care of them. Free kills = free loot.

Hack every medical station you find as well. It makes them slightly cheaper, but the big bonus is if a splicer tries to use a hacked health station, they will get poisoned instead. Alternatively, you can destroy a health station for some free first aid kits.

Get some of the hacking tonics, particularly the one that slows down the flow of current in the hacking mini game.

Some of the hacking puzzles will be short a straight tile or two, so you may need to get creative with elbow tiles in order to complete them.

Save autohack tools for safes. Those are the hardest of the hacking puzzles because they start the fastest and give you almost no time to clear the board and see what you need to do.

If you want some free security robots, set off an alarm somehow (either by way of an alarm tile in a hacking screen, or by standing in front of a camera) and just zap and hack the two robots that get sent after you.

Once you have natural camoflage you are pretty much security proof. If an alarm goes off, just stand still. The robots will not see you unless you move. Taking a picture de-cloaks you, so keep that in mind. You can also try difficult hacks over and over for free with this. If you know you are going to lose, just direct the current to an alarm tile.

Okay that was more than a few tips I guess. If you get stuck on anything tho, just ask. Its all still extremely fresh in my mind.

Also, turn the Vita Chambers off. Real men don't use extra lives in shooters.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Jbcraig1883

Picked up Forza 4 for my little winter break. Got into 3 quite a bit but it was right before moving so I had quite a bit more time. So far, it is much easier to accumulate credits. In 3, I had to become a monopoly in the auction house by controlling the price of the popular cars. While I like not having to skim the auction house every few hours, it seems almost too easy to get a really good car early on. In Forza 3 and older GTs I played, I enjoyed the grind at the beginning because it was fun to see the change a new transmission, filter, engine, etc. made. I played Forza 4 for 2 hours and already won 4 stock cars that dominated in their respective class.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:57 PM
HobeyBroten

Ok....I'm having one heck of a time getting Be a Pro to acknowledge my created player. What is the process? I create and save my created player, but then when I go to the be a pro it only shows the computer created player and there is no way to choose a different player.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Flabbergasted

I'm thinking about picking up the Mass Effect Trilogy sometime soon. I downloaded the demo for Mass Effect 2 and it seemed pretty fun. I've liked other third person shooter type games like Resident Evil 4, and I do like some role playing games like Diablo and whatnot.

Think I should get it now for $60? Or should I wait until closer to xmas and see if the price comes down or something?

Old
12-13-2012, 11:12 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
RE: AHL roster update

http://twitter.com/EASPORTSNHL/statu...71078870261760

OKC is gonna be screwed.
I assume still no Brodin right?

Old
12-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Fel 96
JFC

He will be in the next update.

Old
12-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Fel 96
JFC

So far, EA have only updated CHL roster.

Old
12-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I'm thinking about picking up the Mass Effect Trilogy sometime soon. I downloaded the demo for Mass Effect 2 and it seemed pretty fun. I've liked other third person shooter type games like Resident Evil 4, and I do like some role playing games like Diablo and whatnot.

Think I should get it now for $60? Or should I wait until closer to xmas and see if the price comes down or something?
Mass Effect 2 is one of my favorite games ever, and I'm not even into RPG's. I would go for all 3 at $60. You'll end up getting 100+ hours of entertainment by the end of it.

Also, fair warning, the things that you're going to find wrong with 1 are fixed by 2. Liked 2 and 3 better than 1.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:51 AM
Dee Oh Cee

Yeah 2 is awesome...and 3 is probably the game closest to perfect that I've ever played.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Flabbergasted

Okay then. Going to pick the trilogy up today then.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Think I might pick up Beyond Good and Evil this weekend.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Flabbergasted

I am now +1 Mass Effect Trilogy.

Also can anyone who is really familiar with steam help me out with something? I'm trying to add some non-steam shortcuts to it, but I cant seem to find any way to get steam to pass command line parameters to the actual games. This is a deal breaker for a few of them.

I'd like to add them so some people I've got as friends on there know when to not message me.

Old
12-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Played a couple games of BO2 with Kassian today. Really surprised that a guy like him doesn't have a microphone. Anyway, he was actually pretty good at the game but I must admit he camps a lot. We played 2 games of Domination and he just sat back in our spawn protecting our flag for a good chunk of each game.

Old
12-16-2012, 04:10 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

Been playing a lot of EASHL recently. Man the AI is just brutal. Anyone else think it would be awesome to combine the EASHL with Ultimate Team? So you still play as your pro, but be able to purchase NHL players. I'm getting really sick of the AI.

Old
12-16-2012, 04:59 PM
MNman

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
Been playing a lot of EASHL recently. Man the AI is just brutal. Anyone else think it would be awesome to combine the EASHL with Ultimate Team? So you still play as your pro, but be able to purchase NHL players. I'm getting really sick of the AI.
Holy Million Dollar Idea

You better patent that now or else EA will get all the $$$ for it.

Old
12-16-2012, 05:26 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNman View Post
Holy Million Dollar Idea

I'll share the $$ with you if you get the patent.

We could call it, EA Sports Ultimate Hockey League(copyright that)

Old
12-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Flabbergasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNman View Post
Holy Million Dollar Idea

I'm willing to bet EA already has some clause in their TOS/EULA that awards them ownership of peoples ideas with regards to their products.

Hell, it would certainly fit with what I have learned about them over the past day or two since I installed Mass Effect.

Last night I got to figure out which ini file to edit in order to stop the origin client from showing ads when I push the button to run Mass Effect 1.

And if you have me on Twitter, I had a bit of a rant the other night about Origin password policies.

Anyhoo, finished Quake today. Gonna play the expansions for it next. Never played them. Should be fun!

Old
12-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
The same idea was presented in the "NHL 14 wishlist"-thread, or at least I seem to recall reading something along those lines.

Anyway, it would be a double-edged sword. On the other hand, the experience of playing with AI would be far more enjoyable, as they wouldn't be some inbred beer hockey rejects. Then again, the experience of playing with AI would be far more enjoyable. Now you might think that I have Alzheimer's or something, but I don't. You see, AI is nothing but a placeholder for human players, and that's the main reason it sucks.

Besides, it can be improved with team tactics.

What I would love, however, would be slight improvements that could be made on AI players, like editing their playing style (SNP, TWF, etc.) or their name. In my team, we get some AI players more often than others. For example, we seem to win whenever an AI with last names of either "Stone" or "Levesque" is in our roster, but we lose whenever we have "the dog" (Roy) in there. It's actually quite funny.

Closed Thread