HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Nazem Kadri named AHL Player of the Week ending Nov. 18 - and discussion thread.

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 07:03 PM
TmlHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Kadri is part of the future. I'd say bring him up and let him play top 6 minutes. Three years developing him in the minors has done a lot. Carlyle even said that he wants to give the youngs guys better minutes. That's why he let Ashton play on the second line when he was up.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:21 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
Kadri is part of the future. I'd say bring him up and let him play top 6 minutes. Three years developing him in the minors has done a lot. Carlyle even said that he wants to give the youngs guys better minutes. That's why he let Ashton play on the second line when he was up.
I tend to agree with most of this; however, Ashton played a lot of 3rd/4th line duties the final 10 games or so.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:50 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
I tend to agree with most of this; however, Ashton played a lot of 3rd/4th line duties the final 10 games or so.
Yeah, but I think he did that once he saw that Ashton hasn't been producing. I'm sure it was the last 7 games or something he was on the 3rd/4th line.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:09 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Top 20 in points in the AHL now. Tied for 13th place. Finally made page one.

http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay....pe=top_scorers

Old
12-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
KRIS NEWBURY has 21 points?!

Old
12-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Burke was in the back room with a loaded gun pointed at PK's head.
Probably.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:28 PM
The CyNick

Its like people dont watch Kadri play.

He will get eaten alive in the NHL.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post

All that fat on him probably does make him tasty.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:42 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
Top 20 in points in the AHL now. Tied for 13th place. Finally made page one.

http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay....pe=top_scorers
It's amazing how Justin Schultz, a rookie dman is leading the AHL in scoring. The second highest dman is our very own Kostka though

Old
12-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
It's amazing how Justin Schultz, a rookie dman is leading the AHL in scoring. The second highest dman is our very own Kostka though
Gards is tied for second in most goals by defensemen, while 5 in points for a defensemen after a 3 way tie for 4th.

12-11-2012, 12:16 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
and from what I've read, he's been pretty fantastic, not just capitalizing on a pretty impressive AHL roster of players. RNH, Hall, Eberle - nice group of players to break into AHL hockey with! Even Paajarvi is getting a few points, he's terrible.

Heard Bobby Mack talking about Schultz though and apparently he's the real deal.

Gardiner's really stood out in the AHL. I though Ranger's looked good at times too, as has Kostka. Disappointed with Holzer but only saw a few games, maybe he just didn't play that great. Blacker too, though I still have hopes for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3ADLY View Post
wait.. your not serious are you? most guys in there are first/second overall and the list round out to top 4 players selected aside from Skinner it's not fair to include Kadri in that list and compare him to high end prospects. You should see how many top 6-10 have done better then Kadri in the past 3 years i am sure there will be a few far better players then him but you'll come to know the difference of comparison.
Very unfair to group Kadri with the top 2-3 overall.

In the 6-10 range, you've got to adjust your expectations AND, in most cases, give the player more time to develop.

Kadri was awesome in junior. I'd say he played as well as (or close to it) Tavares in the OHL playoffs that year, in London. He had a monster year the next year as well. He's had a really hard time adjusting to the pro game and hasn't done himself any favours with his attitude and comments at times.

I don't think he's a lock to be an NHL player, by any means. He's got a Rob Schremp about him, can't put my finger on. But he's got enough talent and seems to be working hard at improving his overall game - and that can be all the difference for his type of player.

Hopefully he continues to play well as the season progresses.

Now, about Joe Colborne...what the HELL happened to this guy? And, is Carter Ashton the next Christian Hanson? Can't win'em all.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:40 AM
Bomber0104
Boom

he better be on the leafs whenever they play next or Burke should be ****ing canned.

If youre gonna create such a **** team why on earth would you not at least give some rookies some icetime.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:08 AM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
he better be on the leafs whenever they play next or Burke should be ****ing canned.

If youre gonna create such a **** team why on earth would you not at least give some rookies some icetime.
Carlyle will pick who is playing for the Leafs.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:17 AM
Bomber0104
Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
Carlyle will pick who is playing for the Leafs.
He better pick Kadri.

SO many bums on this team it drives me ****in bonkers.

At least pick a bum with some potential.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:36 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
and from what I've read, he's been pretty fantastic, not just capitalizing on a pretty impressive AHL roster of players. RNH, Hall, Eberle - nice group of players to break into AHL hockey with! Even Paajarvi is getting a few points, he's terrible.

Heard Bobby Mack talking about Schultz though and apparently he's the real deal.

Gardiner's really stood out in the AHL. I though Ranger's looked good at times too, as has Kostka. Disappointed with Holzer but only saw a few games, maybe he just didn't play that great. Blacker too, though I still have hopes for him.

Very unfair to group Kadri with the top 2-3 overall.

In the 6-10 range, you've got to adjust your expectations AND, in most cases, give the player more time to develop.

Kadri was awesome in junior. I'd say he played as well as (or close to it) Tavares in the OHL playoffs that year, in London. He had a monster year the next year as well. He's had a really hard time adjusting to the pro game and hasn't done himself any favours with his attitude and comments at times.

I don't think he's a lock to be an NHL player, by any means. He's got a Rob Schremp about him, can't put my finger on. But he's got enough talent and seems to be working hard at improving his overall game - and that can be all the difference for his type of player.

Hopefully he continues to play well as the season progresses.

Now, about Joe Colborne...what the HELL happened to this guy? And, is Carter Ashton the next Christian Hanson? Can't win'em all.
? to the bolded, he has been playing fine in pro game IMO
wat attitide, i hate it when people say he has attitude problem. it's like people hate it when a person has confidence.
plz post some comments, because from wat I know, he says all the right things to the media
that conditioning problem,
so overblown

Old
12-11-2012, 04:16 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
He better pick Kadri.

Never pick a bum.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
? to the bolded, he has been playing fine in pro game IMO
wat attitide, i hate it when people say he has attitude problem. it's like people hate it when a person has confidence.
plz post some comments, because from wat I know, he says all the right things to the media
that conditioning problem,
so overblown
I agree with this, nothing annoys me more than to hear people put down Kadri for having a personality. Hockey players are pretty dry for the most part due to our culture up here and it kills the appeal of the game I think. Cut the kid some slack already, the League needs more people like Kadri, Subban, etc...not less.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:13 AM
frankthetank91

Quote:
He better pick Kadri.

Which "bum" has Kadri bumped though?

Assuming he plays the wing, wingers better then him and deserving of a spot: Kessel,Lupul, VanRiemsdyk,Kulemin,MacArthur

Tied with Frattin.

The only 2 "bums" that I don't see a future with are Connolly and Lombardi. He is also obviously better than Brown and Komarov but they are 4h liners.

Even with Connolly and Lombardi gone he still will have a hard time breaking in, unless he can play center, or if Mac is moved(who is shat on often times for no reason)

Old
12-12-2012, 01:21 AM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post

Just out of curiosity, in the games he played last season was he eaten alive?

Did you see the last two games he played at the end of the season where he was our best skater in both?

Old
12-12-2012, 09:08 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Which "bum" has Kadri bumped though?

Assuming he plays the wing, wingers better then him and deserving of a spot: Kessel,Lupul, VanRiemsdyk,Kulemin,MacArthur

Tied with Frattin.

The only 2 "bums" that I don't see a future with are Connolly and Lombardi. He is also obviously better than Brown and Komarov but they are 4h liners.

Even with Connolly and Lombardi gone he still will have a hard time breaking in, unless he can play center, or if Mac is moved(who is shat on often times for no reason)
Not that this makes any difference. Kadri hasn't really been playing wing this season in the AHL. I think he may end up playing center between Kessel and Lupul.

At the end of last year Carlyle was talking wonders about Kadri's game. I believe he was an emergency call up at one point and wasnt able to stay with the team because we had used all of our post deadline call-ups. He was saying that if he could, kadri would have finished the season with the leafs.

I do feel that Carlyle has had a part of Kadri playing centre in the AHL. When Eakins wasn't under managements radar, Kadri was playing wing to Zigomanis with Hamilton on the other side. Now (in a season with extra boddies) hes playing center and our most productive one. I believe he will be playing center on the top line... just a hunch. I dont see why the Marlies would have him at center if they planned to move him to the wing in the NHL. Makes no sense.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:18 AM
frankthetank91

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Not that this makes any difference. Kadri hasn't really been playing wing this season in the AHL. I think he may end up playing center between Kessel and Lupul.

At the end of last year Carlyle was talking wonders about Kadri's game. I believe he was an emergency call up at one point and wasnt able to stay with the team because we had used all of our post deadline call-ups. He was saying that if he could, kadri would have finished the season with the leafs.

I do feel that Carlyle has had a part of Kadri playing centre in the AHL. When Eakins wasn't under managements radar, Kadri was playing wing to Zigomanis with Hamilton on the other side. Now (in a season with extra boddies) hes playing center and our most productive one. I believe he will be playing center on the top line... just a hunch. I dont see why the Marlies would have him at center if they planned to move him to the wing in the NHL. Makes no sense.
That's good to know. The games I watched this season he was playing wing and last season. Good to see he's been playing center. Wouldn't mind him replacing Bozak, would make the line up a lot easier to manage.

For him to get that spot though he's going to have to keep managing at least a PPG for the Marlies to be considered IMO.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Grant
LL Genius

With Kadri playing top line center though, I want to see that offense, but I shudder to see the defense played.

Kadri has made leaps and bounds improvement on the defensive side of his game however I don't think he is yet on Bozak's level personally. Maybe a JVR - Kadri - Kessel line? Slide Lupul down to Grabo's line which I think could end up getting fairly sheltered minutes whenever we resume hockey again. If Kessel and Lupul commit to playing defense more than they currently do then that may not have to happen.

I still think we should ease Kadri into being a full time NHLer. I don't want to throw him on the top line immediately and have huge expectations of him in that position only to see him possibly flounder and lose any confidence he has gained.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

I just don't get the whole All-star or Bust mentality with Kadri. Why can he not be a developing work in progress. he will be a fine NHL player one day who will skate and dangle. He is not an Top-Tier All-Star (although later in his career I could see him being a late pick if he has a hot season (ala Lupul).

He will make the NHL, and will be fine, I say 45-55 points, maybe top out at 60 in a good year.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:23 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
I agree with this, nothing annoys me more than to hear people put down Kadri for having a personality. Hockey players are pretty dry for the most part due to our culture up here and it kills the appeal of the game I think. Cut the kid some slack already, the League needs more people like Kadri, Subban, etc...not less.
It is called immaturity and many players have it, but when you are they only golden boy (at the time) of the Leafs you are going to be scrutinized, so don't walk out in front of the camera while a mate is being interviewed and give the finger to the world by pretending to scratch your ear. I'm guessing the guys put him up to it.

Don't tweet anything that calls attention to yourself when the big team is struggling.

People will look for things, don't give them ammo.

There is a reason why they are taught cliches. JR talked the talk, but he walked the walk. Earn the space and respect before you decide you want attention.

Stampeders banned the players from twitter late in the year because of misteps made by even their star players.

Kadri has recently taken positive steps, now he has to keep taking those steps. He hasn't arrived at all, and I think this lock-out was the best thing for him.

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
Old
12-12-2012, 10:30 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Just out of curiosity, in the games he played last season was he eaten alive?

Did you see the last two games he played at the end of the season where he was our best skater in both?
He should be physically better prepared for the long grind of the season.

We can't really get too excited about the adrenaline rushes during a call up.

Closed Thread