HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Luongo Thread - "Make it stop, make it stop!"

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-11-2012, 03:18 PM
  #201
Cogburn
Trixie Hobbitses
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,567
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Which is why this is all hypothetical. Obviously this has little chance of happening in the real world (all the other pesky factors), but might as well try something new . I'm sick of all the Bozak and Kadri stuff.
Well I've been booted from main Luongo board, so I'd say something I did must have snapped inside reading the same thing over and over too. Glad we smuggled LL in though. But as I said, points for being different, but I remember discussing this ad nauseum.

Cogburn is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 03:18 PM
  #202
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
I know I'll probably have something fall on me if another Leafs fan reads this (bad joke about ill will or karma), but what about Ballard? If nothing else, we can say he's physical on a very consistant basis. He is undersized, but hits, ties up or otherwise disables opposing players. Plus, hipchecks! Good for about 30 points a season, when not being benched by a power mad coach, and could benefit tremendously from a stable defensive partner (ie Tanev or J-Bo...or Gunnar...?).

If he, or some other, hypothetical physical, offensive minded defender, were returned to Toronto, would that be of interest? Could we annoy a few other fanbases by creating more three way deals?
I read to here....i will respectfully decline.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 03:22 PM
  #203
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Well I've been booted from main Luongo board, so I'd say something I did must have snapped inside reading the same thing over and over too. Glad we smuggled LL in though. But as I said, points for being different, but I remember discussing this ad nauseum.
Main boards is a horrible place to get any reasonable dicussion done.

Taelin is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 03:22 PM
  #204
Cogburn
Trixie Hobbitses
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,567
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I read to here....i will respectfully decline.
Fair enough, you should know me better then just throwing a guy like Ballard your way though

The bottom section asked if another, non-Ballard, physical offensive defender would/could/is included, could that, hypothetically, make Phaneuf available? In theory of course, he is your captain.

Cogburn is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 03:23 PM
  #205
Cogburn
Trixie Hobbitses
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,567
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Main boards is a horrible place to get any reasonable dicussion done.
Hate to say it, but the last page or so hasn't really been doing much better...

Cogburn is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 03:29 PM
  #206
LongRoad
Registered User
 
LongRoad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Sorry if i came off like an ass. I've had a hole drilled into my skull, went through 5 weeks of radiation, followed by 20 weeks of chimo. I had to prepare my 7 year old son for the reality that Daddy might not make it. I get a little edgy when jokes are made...again, i apologise.
No need to apologize, I just don't like people getting offended for me. I was on almost the exact opposite side of what you went through, but daddy didn't make it in my case. I know I've got other personal experiences I could draw on as well. Cancer's affected all of us, sometimes a small quip here and there helps some of those of us it has affected. We don't all have the same tastes!

LongRoad is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 03:36 PM
  #207
Chairman Maouth
Registered User
 
Chairman Maouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fire Lake
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,563
vCash: 50
Enough talk about Phil Kessel's anatomy, health struggles, etc. Fini. Done.

This is a hockey thread with the primary topic being Luongo. Stick to it.

__________________
You did not desert me, my brothers in arms.
Chairman Maouth is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 03:53 PM
  #208
50MissionCap
Old Poison
 
50MissionCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Would Vancouver loose all that much by keeping Luongo at his post for the rest of his contract? I'm assuming cap space, and with the terms of the new lockout that may be a big problem. Let's assume, for instance, that the cap stays at the same. Is it worth it to keep Bobby Lou if no deal can be made?

50MissionCap is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 03:54 PM
  #209
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MissionCap View Post
Would Vancouver loose all that much by keeping Luongo at his post for the rest of his contract? I'm assuming cap space, and with the terms of the new lockout that may be a big problem. Let's assume, for instance, that the cap stays at the same. Is it worth it to keep Bobby Lou if no deal can be made?
We're not losing anything if we assume the cap stays the same. It's everyone else that's saying we need to deal Luongo for scraps.

Taelin is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 04:06 PM
  #210
50MissionCap
Old Poison
 
50MissionCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
We're not losing anything if we assume the cap stays the same. It's everyone else that's saying we need to deal Luongo for scraps.
Does he stay starter or backup though?

50MissionCap is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 04:08 PM
  #211
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MissionCap View Post
Does he stay starter or backup though?
I would split it half and half with Schneider to ease him into a starting role.

Taelin is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 04:15 PM
  #212
50MissionCap
Old Poison
 
50MissionCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Under what circumstances WOULD you trade Luongo if the cap stays the same?

50MissionCap is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 04:18 PM
  #213
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MissionCap View Post
Under what circumstances WOULD you trade Luongo if the cap stays the same?
Someone makes an offer that fills a need and/or sets us up for the future. Something in an offer to make it worthwhile.

Scurr is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 04:32 PM
  #214
50MissionCap
Old Poison
 
50MissionCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Sounds like this may end up turning into a big waiting game until the season begins, and until the Draft situation gets sorted out. I'm sure when we get closer to that time, deals will start to emerge that will look favorable. Though I DO think that when the time comes, the Leafs will probably make the biggest push for Luongo. I'm not so sure if Florida is willing to right now.

Are there any other teams that are competing for Bobby Lou/ or who would have a good enough package to net him? I heard Chicago at one point.

50MissionCap is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 05:04 PM
  #215
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Main boards is a horrible place to get any reasonable dicussion done.
Yeah, If you look at my ignore list, at least 5 posters, and at least 10 of the Luongo threads are in it.

I continue to torture myself by going in there though

arsmaster is online now  
Old
12-11-2012, 05:05 PM
  #216
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MissionCap View Post
Sounds like this may end up turning into a big waiting game until the season begins, and until the Draft situation gets sorted out. I'm sure when we get closer to that time, deals will start to emerge that will look favorable. Though I DO think that when the time comes, the Leafs will probably make the biggest push for Luongo. I'm not so sure if Florida is willing to right now.

Are there any other teams that are competing for Bobby Lou/ or who would have a good enough package to net him? I heard Chicago at one point.
There were supposedly 5 teams interested, the only ones I'm certain of: Chicago, Florida, and Toronto.

Columbus and Edmonton have been speculated as well.

arsmaster is online now  
Old
12-11-2012, 05:26 PM
  #217
Alflives
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Completely hypothetical, but...

Luongo, Edler for Phaneuf, Rielly, (2nd+ round draft pick, B/C prospects)

Don't shoot me. Not really a hockey expert. Just extremely bored by studying.
It's a win-win. The Leafs would have their #1 goalie and a top pair defense-man. The Canucks would get a number one Defense-man, and a potential superstar. For someone who claims to be a bored student (who knows little about hockey) you appear to understand better than many on these boards.

Now, maybe you could contact Mr. Burke and Mr. Gillis and make this trade happen??

Alflives is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 05:27 PM
  #218
JanBulisPiggyBack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Markstrom just got AHL Player of the Week

could affect Florida's need for a goalie if Markstrom is putting it together

JanBulisPiggyBack is online now  
Old
12-11-2012, 05:29 PM
  #219
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanBulisPiggyBack View Post
Markstrom just got AHL Player of the Week

could affect Florida's need for a goalie if Markstrom is putting it together
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=112727

meh still not really the numbers I'd be expecting from a prospect with that much hype.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 05:29 PM
  #220
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
It's a win-win. The Leafs would have their #1 goalie and a top pair defense-man. The Canucks would get a number one Defense-man, and a potential superstar. For someone who claims to be a bored student (who knows little about hockey) you appear to understand better than many on these boards.

Now, maybe you could contact Mr. Burke and Mr. Gillis and make this trade happen??
Damn, does this mean I can quit school and work for the Canucks?

Too bad this will never happen in real life though.

Taelin is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 05:36 PM
  #221
Alflives
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Damn, does this mean I can quit school and work for the Canucks?

Too bad this will never happen in real life though.
Yes, but these dreams of what could be are a pleasurable diversion from the normal grind we all experience.

Maybe it's Gary Betman you should be looking to work with? Some common sense would help in that office.

Alflives is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 05:42 PM
  #222
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 16,656
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanBulisPiggyBack View Post
Markstrom just got AHL Player of the Week

could affect Florida's need for a goalie if Markstrom is putting it together
Florida are only looking to pick up Luongo on the cheap. They'd probably be considering on selling him in a couple of years when Markstrom is ready and NHL tested (ala us with Schneider). If they have to pay substantially I think they run with Markstrom/Theodore/whoever for the year. Luongo's actual $ would be a put off to a finally weak team like them. To me they have always been involved because the fans know about Luongo's connections to Florida (team/family) rather than Florida's moderate need for a better goalie (unlike TO who's goalie cupboard looks bare).

An OK prospect and 1st is the best we'd get from them, something they'd feel safe they could on-sell Luongo for and recoup costs if Markstrom steps up.


Last edited by me2: 12-11-2012 at 05:47 PM.
me2 is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 05:48 PM
  #223
lush
@jasonlush
 
lush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,279
vCash: 500
I think that whether we have an abbreviated season, or we lose the season -when we do come back there will be a stronger demand for Luongo. Some posters from other fanbases will never concede this, they will look at younger goalies with shorter contract terms (higher cap hits or not) and claim that is what they'll go with. It's a good thing these aren't the people making decisions though. Luongo is so steady and professional he'll come back from this lockout and if the offers aren't there he'll put up great numbers in Vancouver. People talk about how we didn't have scoring in the playoffs and we should dump Luongo for some scoring help. If the return value isn't there for Luongo what is the point? If I managed the Canucks I would bank on our young forwards improving a lot more than Luongo declines, Jensen, Kassian and others will provide our offence. Trading Lu for a borderline top 6 forward and camp dumps is so stupid I won't even go into it, but I will say is that bringing in any salary or borderline player who doesn't provide a big impact is only taking cap space away from a free agent and opportunity away from our young forwards on cheap contracts.

lush is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 05:50 PM
  #224
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 16,656
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=112727

meh still not really the numbers I'd be expecting from a prospect with that much hype.
He's had a slow start and now he's climbing back to .916. He'll be back up over .920 again soon enough. Florida will want a serious look at him.

me2 is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 06:08 PM
  #225
skywarp75
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
He's had a slow start and now he's climbing back to .916. He'll be back up over .920 again soon enough. Florida will want a serious look at him.
this is true, but the fact that Luongo would help sell tickets is part of why he'd be appealing to them.

skywarp75 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.