HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Luongo Thread - "Make it stop, make it stop!"

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Cogburn
Trixie Hobbitses

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Which is why this is all hypothetical. Obviously this has little chance of happening in the real world (all the other pesky factors), but might as well try something new . I'm sick of all the Bozak and Kadri stuff.
Well I've been booted from main Luongo board, so I'd say something I did must have snapped inside reading the same thing over and over too. Glad we smuggled LL in though. But as I said, points for being different, but I remember discussing this ad nauseum.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
I know I'll probably have something fall on me if another Leafs fan reads this (bad joke about ill will or karma), but what about Ballard? If nothing else, we can say he's physical on a very consistant basis. He is undersized, but hits, ties up or otherwise disables opposing players. Plus, hipchecks! Good for about 30 points a season, when not being benched by a power mad coach, and could benefit tremendously from a stable defensive partner (ie Tanev or J-Bo...or Gunnar...?).

If he, or some other, hypothetical physical, offensive minded defender, were returned to Toronto, would that be of interest? Could we annoy a few other fanbases by creating more three way deals?
I read to here....i will respectfully decline.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Well I've been booted from main Luongo board, so I'd say something I did must have snapped inside reading the same thing over and over too. Glad we smuggled LL in though. But as I said, points for being different, but I remember discussing this ad nauseum.
Main boards is a horrible place to get any reasonable dicussion done.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Cogburn
Trixie Hobbitses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I read to here....i will respectfully decline.
Fair enough, you should know me better then just throwing a guy like Ballard your way though

The bottom section asked if another, non-Ballard, physical offensive defender would/could/is included, could that, hypothetically, make Phaneuf available? In theory of course, he is your captain.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Cogburn
Trixie Hobbitses

Quote:
Hate to say it, but the last page or so hasn't really been doing much better...

Old
12-11-2012, 03:29 PM
LongRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Sorry if i came off like an ass. I've had a hole drilled into my skull, went through 5 weeks of radiation, followed by 20 weeks of chimo. I had to prepare my 7 year old son for the reality that Daddy might not make it. I get a little edgy when jokes are made...again, i apologise.
No need to apologize, I just don't like people getting offended for me. I was on almost the exact opposite side of what you went through, but daddy didn't make it in my case. I know I've got other personal experiences I could draw on as well. Cancer's affected all of us, sometimes a small quip here and there helps some of those of us it has affected. We don't all have the same tastes!

Old
12-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Chairman Maouth

Enough talk about Phil Kessel's anatomy, health struggles, etc. Fini. Done.

This is a hockey thread with the primary topic being Luongo. Stick to it.

12-11-2012, 03:53 PM
50MissionCap
Old Poison

Would Vancouver loose all that much by keeping Luongo at his post for the rest of his contract? I'm assuming cap space, and with the terms of the new lockout that may be a big problem. Let's assume, for instance, that the cap stays at the same. Is it worth it to keep Bobby Lou if no deal can be made?

Old
12-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MissionCap View Post
Would Vancouver loose all that much by keeping Luongo at his post for the rest of his contract? I'm assuming cap space, and with the terms of the new lockout that may be a big problem. Let's assume, for instance, that the cap stays at the same. Is it worth it to keep Bobby Lou if no deal can be made?
We're not losing anything if we assume the cap stays the same. It's everyone else that's saying we need to deal Luongo for scraps.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:06 PM
50MissionCap
Old Poison

Quote:
We're not losing anything if we assume the cap stays the same. It's everyone else that's saying we need to deal Luongo for scraps.
Does he stay starter or backup though?

Old
12-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Does he stay starter or backup though?
I would split it half and half with Schneider to ease him into a starting role.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:15 PM
50MissionCap
Old Poison

Under what circumstances WOULD you trade Luongo if the cap stays the same?

Old
12-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Under what circumstances WOULD you trade Luongo if the cap stays the same?
Someone makes an offer that fills a need and/or sets us up for the future. Something in an offer to make it worthwhile.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:32 PM
50MissionCap
Old Poison

Sounds like this may end up turning into a big waiting game until the season begins, and until the Draft situation gets sorted out. I'm sure when we get closer to that time, deals will start to emerge that will look favorable. Though I DO think that when the time comes, the Leafs will probably make the biggest push for Luongo. I'm not so sure if Florida is willing to right now.

Are there any other teams that are competing for Bobby Lou/ or who would have a good enough package to net him? I heard Chicago at one point.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:04 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Yeah, If you look at my ignore list, at least 5 posters, and at least 10 of the Luongo threads are in it.

I continue to torture myself by going in there though

Old
12-11-2012, 05:05 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Sounds like this may end up turning into a big waiting game until the season begins, and until the Draft situation gets sorted out. I'm sure when we get closer to that time, deals will start to emerge that will look favorable. Though I DO think that when the time comes, the Leafs will probably make the biggest push for Luongo. I'm not so sure if Florida is willing to right now.

Are there any other teams that are competing for Bobby Lou/ or who would have a good enough package to net him? I heard Chicago at one point.
There were supposedly 5 teams interested, the only ones I'm certain of: Chicago, Florida, and Toronto.

Columbus and Edmonton have been speculated as well.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Completely hypothetical, but...

Luongo, Edler for Phaneuf, Rielly, (2nd+ round draft pick, B/C prospects)

Don't shoot me. Not really a hockey expert. Just extremely bored by studying.
It's a win-win. The Leafs would have their #1 goalie and a top pair defense-man. The Canucks would get a number one Defense-man, and a potential superstar. For someone who claims to be a bored student (who knows little about hockey) you appear to understand better than many on these boards.

Now, maybe you could contact Mr. Burke and Mr. Gillis and make this trade happen??

Old
12-11-2012, 05:27 PM
JanBulisPiggyBack

Markstrom just got AHL Player of the Week

could affect Florida's need for a goalie if Markstrom is putting it together

Old
12-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanBulisPiggyBack View Post

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=112727

meh still not really the numbers I'd be expecting from a prospect with that much hype.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
It's a win-win. The Leafs would have their #1 goalie and a top pair defense-man. The Canucks would get a number one Defense-man, and a potential superstar. For someone who claims to be a bored student (who knows little about hockey) you appear to understand better than many on these boards.

Now, maybe you could contact Mr. Burke and Mr. Gillis and make this trade happen??
Damn, does this mean I can quit school and work for the Canucks?

Too bad this will never happen in real life though.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Damn, does this mean I can quit school and work for the Canucks?

Too bad this will never happen in real life though.
Yes, but these dreams of what could be are a pleasurable diversion from the normal grind we all experience.

Maybe it's Gary Betman you should be looking to work with? Some common sense would help in that office.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:42 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanBulisPiggyBack View Post

Florida are only looking to pick up Luongo on the cheap. They'd probably be considering on selling him in a couple of years when Markstrom is ready and NHL tested (ala us with Schneider). If they have to pay substantially I think they run with Markstrom/Theodore/whoever for the year. Luongo's actual $ would be a put off to a finally weak team like them. To me they have always been involved because the fans know about Luongo's connections to Florida (team/family) rather than Florida's moderate need for a better goalie (unlike TO who's goalie cupboard looks bare).

An OK prospect and 1st is the best we'd get from them, something they'd feel safe they could on-sell Luongo for and recoup costs if Markstrom steps up.

Last edited by me2: 12-11-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 05:48 PM
lush
@jasonlush

I think that whether we have an abbreviated season, or we lose the season -when we do come back there will be a stronger demand for Luongo. Some posters from other fanbases will never concede this, they will look at younger goalies with shorter contract terms (higher cap hits or not) and claim that is what they'll go with. It's a good thing these aren't the people making decisions though. Luongo is so steady and professional he'll come back from this lockout and if the offers aren't there he'll put up great numbers in Vancouver. People talk about how we didn't have scoring in the playoffs and we should dump Luongo for some scoring help. If the return value isn't there for Luongo what is the point? If I managed the Canucks I would bank on our young forwards improving a lot more than Luongo declines, Jensen, Kassian and others will provide our offence. Trading Lu for a borderline top 6 forward and camp dumps is so stupid I won't even go into it, but I will say is that bringing in any salary or borderline player who doesn't provide a big impact is only taking cap space away from a free agent and opportunity away from our young forwards on cheap contracts.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:50 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=112727

meh still not really the numbers I'd be expecting from a prospect with that much hype.
He's had a slow start and now he's climbing back to .916. He'll be back up over .920 again soon enough. Florida will want a serious look at him.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:08 PM
skywarp75

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
He's had a slow start and now he's climbing back to .916. He'll be back up over .920 again soon enough. Florida will want a serious look at him.
this is true, but the fact that Luongo would help sell tickets is part of why he'd be appealing to them.

Closed Thread