HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v.23: The Return of Kyle Lowry

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 03:54 PM
donkeyy0

vCash: 500
Can Davis start? He looks really really really good coming off the bench, but if you give him starting minutes, do you think he can keep the high motor?

Old
12-11-2012, 03:57 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyy0 View Post
Anybody hear Jack and Bobcat?

Things got pretty tense.
What happened?

Old
12-11-2012, 04:01 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Can Davis start? He looks really really really good coming off the bench, but if you give him starting minutes, do you think he can keep the high motor?
Yes I think he can start, and I also think he should. He could probably be getting us 10-14 points and 6-10 rebounds a game. His rebounding alone would give this team a boost over Brickgani missing 3s the whole game.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
people ripping on ross already
he seems to be one of the few guys that actually care
he will be a great player
haters come talk to me in 2 years,
i know stats are not great, but he gets wat 10 minutes a game,
His scouting report was right on, all he does is shoot lol. He never attacks the basket, and is in love with his jumper. The weird thing is it looks so sweet but he bricks worse than Kleiza.

No one is hating on him though. But I doubt he will be a "great" player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
What happened?
Yeah, what happened.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:24 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
His scouting report was right on, all he does is shoot lol. He never attacks the basket, and is in love with his jumper. The weird thing is it looks so sweet but he bricks worse than Kleiza.

Yeah, what happened.

true, but however, he doesn't get as involved with the offense, he will drive when he gets more minutes IMO
he has some good potential

Old
12-11-2012, 04:25 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post

Yeah, what happened.

the shots are not going in right now, but should go in soon

Old
12-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Anybody hear Jack and Bobcat?

Things got pretty tense.
Listening now and they got Kypreos on. What happened c'mon man!

Old
12-11-2012, 04:40 PM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
What happened?
Bobcat basically said "while I like Casey and BC, somebody's head needs to roll"

Jack said that no moves should be made until the offseason, no good can come from hiring a GM mid season. That BC is the only executive hiring he can think of that took place during the season and not being a colossal failure.

It didn't seem like much of a disagreement, they seemed to agree on the fact that something needs to happen, just the timing. Then Bob cut Jack off while they were talking about whether Casey should be replaced, and Jack questioned what Bob's alternative was.

Bob said Butch Carter, Jack pretty much laughed, said he could make a list of 10 arbitrary names that aren't doing anything too, but that doesn't make them a good choice.

Bob seemed to be of the opinion that any change is good change, and status quo doesn't fix anything.

The last few lines were:

Jack: I've been doing this 15 years Bob. If anybody thought Butch was a viable coaching option, he would have been given another job by n--

Bob: Well I guess we'll agree to disagree then

Jack: Ya.

*awkward silence*

Jack: Well have a great night.

Bob: Too late.

*click*

Sorry for the late reply guys! I figured someone else would have heard the segment.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:42 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
the shots are not going in right now, but should go in soon
Nope, instead they're hitting the side of the backboard

But yeah I think Ross will be a decent player. He has the tools to be good, he just needs the confidence to start using them. He needs to bulk up too. I think once he gets some confidence and experience he will turn into a 12-15 ppg type player. Not sure if he will be a starter.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:46 PM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Nope, instead they're hitting the side of the backboard

But yeah I think Ross will be a decent player. He has the tools to be good, he just needs the confidence to start using them. He needs to bulk up too. I think once he gets some confidence and experience he will turn into a 12-15 ppg type player. Not sure if he will be a starter.
Only thing is, as a shooter...he can't do what he did last night and just chuck shots in an attempt to break his cold streak. He's not a good enough player that he can afford to be Andrea and just keep throwing up shots early in the shot clock to try and break some streak.

In fact...Andrea isn't good enough to do that either.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
There is absolutely no reason to look at the past when it comes to our current roster. People saying we should have picked Rondo, Roy,Gay are dreaming, there was considered to be a big gap between the 1st two picks and the rest of the field. I did how ever want Aldridge over Andrea. Gay was in a similar situation that Ross is in when he was drafted, not a lot of exposure because of where he played.
Rondo was a point guard who was considered to have attitude problems and pretty much had no shot and not many thought he would be able to get to the basket like he did if he made the NBA.

The Raptors are in a weird place right now. They have DD trying to break out and be the go to guy and live up to that new contract. You have Andrea still trying to take every shot regardless of how he's playing. And you have Lowry who is trying to establish himself as the go to guy. To many people trying to play the same roll and it becomes predictable.

On a plus though have Ed Davis who is ready for a bigger roll with the team and at the moment should be getting starting minutes. Overall the team lacks Character, toughness and leadership. I do think the overall skill is there but just not ready yet, the core of Val, Ross, DD, Lowry and Davis is good if DD breaks out, Ross becomes the player he's pegged to be, and Val is the real deal.

Overall changes clearly need to be made from the front office right down. Weather or not that happens this season who knows, it should but it probably wont. Then there is the question of who could you replace BC with? It's going to be a roller coaster ride till the seasons end and probably more lows then highs but, I am confident they will eventually get things on the right track.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:53 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I know most wanted Harrison Barnes, but since he was taken before our pick, who were you guys hoping we'd take? IIRC Drummond was BPA, but not the best fit because of Val and Davis.

here I am looking at the past right after joey told us not to

Old
12-11-2012, 06:13 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
It's really easy to look on past drafts and talk about how the team messed up. The fact of the matter is this, Colangelo has had his shot for this team. He's got us into the post-season once, couldn't convince our star player to stay even though he made plenty of moves.. and now once we do a rebuild, he trades our first to do it.

I'm not his biggest fan, or his biggest hater. But just move him and let's get a proper rebuild done so players can stop looking over their shoulders.

12-11-2012, 06:35 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24 View Post
There is absolutely no reason to look at the past when it comes to our current roster. People saying we should have picked Rondo, Roy,Gay are dreaming, there was considered to be a big gap between the 1st two picks and the rest of the field. I did how ever want Aldridge over Andrea. Gay was in a similar situation that Ross is in when he was drafted, not a lot of exposure because of where he played.
Rondo was a point guard who was considered to have attitude problems and pretty much had no shot and not many thought he would be able to get to the basket like he did if he made the NBA.

The Raptors are in a weird place right now. They have DD trying to break out and be the go to guy and live up to that new contract. You have Andrea still trying to take every shot regardless of how he's playing. And you have Lowry who is trying to establish himself as the go to guy. To many people trying to play the same roll and it becomes predictable.

On a plus though have Ed Davis who is ready for a bigger roll with the team and at the moment should be getting starting minutes. Overall the team lacks Character, toughness and leadership. I do think the overall skill is there but just not ready yet, the core of Val, Ross, DD, Lowry and Davis is good if DD breaks out, Ross becomes the player he's pegged to be, and Val is the real deal.

Overall changes clearly need to be made from the front office right down. Weather or not that happens this season who knows, it should but it probably wont. Then there is the question of who could you replace BC with? It's going to be a roller coaster ride till the seasons end and probably more lows then highs but, I am confident they will eventually get things on the right track.
What?
Rudy Gay played for one of the biggest college programs in UConn!

Old
12-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
BC should sign Lil' Romeo to a 10 day contract.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Suntouchable13

Man, when looking at other teams around the league it is becoming clear to me that the Raptors have next to no talent.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:31 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Man, when looking at other teams around the league it is becoming clear to me that the Raptors have next to no talent.
Watching the Knicks Nets game tonight makes me want a player like Anthony so bad. Would be awesome if we could pull off a big deal for a player like that, but I just can't see it ever happening.

Last edited by JMcLeaf: 12-11-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 10:02 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

NBA TV ‏@NBATV
Amir Johnson of the @Raptors is suspended 1 game w/o pay for throwing his mouthpiece & hitting a referee.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:34 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
NBA TV ‏@NBATV
Amir Johnson of the @Raptors is suspended 1 game w/o pay for throwing his mouthpiece & hitting a referee.
wow, he got off easy.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
12-11-2012, 10:36 PM
thatshype

Quote:
NBA TV ‏@NBATV
Not surprising, but frankly I'm not upset. Amir is the closest thing we have to a Rasheed Wallace, and I mean that in a good way.

Actually now that I mentioned Rasheed, I wanna bring it up that the 03-04 Pistons are an interesting case study about winning championships in the NBA. Interestingly enough, Tayshaun Prince was the only player drafted by the Pistons in their starting 5. Billups had been brought in as a Free Agent, and Ben Wallace and Rip Hamilton via trade a few years prior. They got Rasheed Wallace mid-season to put them over the edge. Also interesting is that they did all of this with a 2nd overall pick Darko sitting on the bench.

It might have been a different landscape then, but the Pistons is the most recent example of a truly balanced roster without a "marquee" player to win the championships. Pistons' top scorer that year was Hamilton who ranked 28th in the league for scoring. If there is a team that I believe we need to emulate...it's the 03-04 Pistons. That is, a team that is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Watching the Knicks Nets game tonight makes me want a player like Anthony so bad. Would be awesome if we could pull off a big deal for a player like that, but I just can't see it ever happening.
Stoudemire.

Re-unite with Colangelo.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
Not surprising, but frankly I'm not upset. Amir is the closest thing we have to a Rasheed Wallace, and I mean that in a good way.

Actually now that I mentioned Rasheed, I wanna bring it up that the 03-04 Pistons are an interesting case study about winning championships in the NBA. Interestingly enough, Tayshaun Prince was the only player drafted by the Pistons in their starting 5. Billups had been brought in as a Free Agent, and Ben Wallace and Rip Hamilton via trade a few years prior. They got Rasheed Wallace mid-season to put them over the edge. Also interesting is that they did all of this with a 2nd overall pick Darko sitting on the bench.

It might have been a different landscape then, but the Pistons is the most recent example of a truly balanced roster without a "marquee" player to win the championships. Pistons' top scorer that year was Hamilton who ranked 28th in the league for scoring. If there is a team that I believe we need to emulate...it's the 03-04 Pistons. That is, a team that is greater than the sum of it's parts.
Bringing up one team in the past 20 years that managed to win a championship isn't exactly encouraging lol...That was a very rare case, and they had 4 all stars in the starting lineup...won with depth and lets face it, the Lakers imploded that year thanks to Shaq and Kobe fighting. Should have been 4 in a row for them.

Small market fans like to bring up the Pistons to give them hope that their superstar-less team can win the 'chip, but I think the other 19 years set more of a precedent. But yeah, that Pistons team was also an all time great defensive team as well. Ben Wallace and Sheed were great at shutting down other bigmen, Prince was young, very long and athletic and Billups was just bigger and stronger than every other PG out there.

Memphis actually reminds me a bit of a Pistons type team, because they don't have a superstar, but a lot of stars and a team identity they bring every night. The Raptors lack any sort of identity, we suck defensively and have no good offensive schemes, everything is isos or pick and rolls.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Stoudemire.

Re-unite with Colangelo.
Don't try and peddle a gimpy Amare on here, haven't you done that enough on the other NBA thread?

Old
12-11-2012, 11:37 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Stoudemire.

Re-unite with Colangelo.
And what could the Knicks possibly want from the Raptors for him? Fields back?

Old
12-12-2012, 12:03 AM
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow

Keep Amare far from Toronto. He's getting injury prone and is totally not deserving of the max contract.