HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part XII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-11-2012, 03:00 PM
  #751
crazycanuck
Registered User
 
crazycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,106
vCash: 500
I'll be going to the game tonight, I'll give you guys a summary after.

crazycanuck is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 03:22 PM
  #752
StrictlyCommercial
Registered User
 
StrictlyCommercial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,593
vCash: 500
So the 'cheating' scandal is a bunch of students collaborating on a take home exam? That is not scandalous at all.

StrictlyCommercial is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 03:27 PM
  #753
deckercky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
So the 'cheating' scandal is a bunch of students collaborating on a take home exam? That is not scandalous at all.
Not particularly, but getting caught does fit under academic dishonesty and has consequences. And when half of a class is caught at it, there's guaranteed to be consequences since they need to scare people.

I can't wait for every CBC interview he ever has to bring up the subject. "Great game out there Patrick! So tell me about your academic dishonesty at Harvard..."

A few years later...

"Congratulations on winning the Conn Smythe Patrick! You sure have come a long way since getting caught cheating on take home exams."


Last edited by deckercky: 12-11-2012 at 03:32 PM.
deckercky is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 03:31 PM
  #754
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman
 
Sean Monahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,172
vCash: 50
Hey PRNuck, bias aside, how did Wotherspoon look

Sean Monahan is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 03:36 PM
  #755
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,954
vCash: 500
BTW anyone can watch the game here: http://www.fasthockey.com/

Tiranis is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 03:48 PM
  #756
701
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver & OK Falls
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,773
vCash: 500
My Harvard Crimson contact has replied to a follow-up email I sent him. He explains why the Crimson isn't publishing many names involved in the Intro to Congress scandal, and he uses Louis Leblanc's decision to leave early and turn pro as a possible route for McNally under the circumstances:

"I would say that while it's likely that he was involved, we decided pretty early in the semester that there were only a few people prominent enough on campus that we would publish their names in connection with the scandal. Other than that, like you said he's just a sophomore in college going through a presumably difficult time, and there's no need for the student newspaper to throw more wood on the fire.

He definitely has a lot of options and Louis Leblanc showed a few years back that there are people who come to Harvard, make the decision to go pro early and don't end up regretting it. I don't know if he's as talented as Leblanc was/is, but I'd say he definitely has a shot -- which would be a big loss for Harvard, which as you said is having some trouble defensively."

701 is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 03:59 PM
  #757
PRNuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
Hey PRNuck, bias aside, how did Wotherspoon look
Sorry he didn't catch my eye. Probably a good thing though, with such a high skill level and short practice session, the only things that really stood out were errors.

PRNuck is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 04:07 PM
  #758
701
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver & OK Falls
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
So the 'cheating' scandal is a bunch of students collaborating on a take home exam? That is not scandalous at all.
Harvard has a different point of view on that. When I was a beginning freshman, at the orientation meeting the Dean told us: "If you commit murder, we'll hire a lawyer to defend you. But if you commit plagiarism, you'll not only be expelled, but your name will be expunged from the records."

That was way over the top, with hyperbole to make the point about the sanctity of academic honesty. And it was a long time ago, before the internet and google made academic honesty much more difficult to enforce (nor do I ever recall being given a take-home exam). But I doubt that the standards have changed all that much, given the school's intense concern for both fairness and genuine excellence.

701 is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 04:09 PM
  #759
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
Harvard has a different point of view on that. When I was a beginning freshman, at the orientation meeting the Dean told us: "If you commit murder, we'll hire a lawyer to defend you. But if you commit plagiarism, you'll not only be expelled, but your name will be expunged from the records."

That was way over the top, with hyperbole to make the point about the sanctity of academic honesty. And it was a long time ago, before the internet and google made academic honesty much more difficult to enforce (nor do I ever recall being given a take-home exam). But I doubt that the standards have changed all that much, given the school's intense concern for both fairness and genuine excellence.
Academic dishonesty is pretty much the worst thing you can do at university. It's pretty much drilled into your head from day one.

Taelin is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 04:17 PM
  #760
StrictlyCommercial
Registered User
 
StrictlyCommercial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,593
vCash: 500
Who doesn't work with a friend on a take home assignment or exam though? Sure 100 people working together is over the top, but its not unexpected. Any teacher that expects students to work alone on a take home exam is an idiot.

StrictlyCommercial is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 04:40 PM
  #761
roach9
Registered User
 
roach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,555
vCash: 500
Got to love our media.

Last to hear of McNally, and with the NHL lockout on... you'd think maybe someone would have time to do a Corrado interview, OR SOMETHING?

Nope.

Better keep looking up celebrity's birthdays!

roach9 is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 04:41 PM
  #762
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
Got to love our media.

Last to hear of McNally, and with the NHL lockout on... you'd think maybe someone would have time to do a Corrado interview, OR SOMETHING?

Nope.

Better keep looking up celebrity's birthdays!
Hockey media should just be deferred to HFBoards. Most of us probably could use the extra income.

Taelin is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 05:07 PM
  #763
Taco Fingerhat
Registered User
 
Taco Fingerhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,775
vCash: 4420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
BTW anyone can watch the game here: http://www.fasthockey.com/
Awesome find! Thanks!!!

Taco Fingerhat is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 05:08 PM
  #764
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,954
vCash: 500
Forgot to mention, that site is free for this particular game. You just have to sign up. Other games on that site are usually paid (AJHL, college, etc.).

Tiranis is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 05:10 PM
  #765
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Hockey media should just be deferred to HFBoards. Most of us probably could use the extra income.
haha I JUST made a post talking about this stuff in the McNally thread.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 05:12 PM
  #766
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
haha I JUST made a post talking about this stuff in the McNally thread.
Great minds think alike.

Taelin is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 05:15 PM
  #767
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Great minds think alike.
Unless its the NHL Elimination Game




Gotta highlight what roach9 said as well! With this being a lockout season so far you would think they would be covering our prospects more, especially when 1 is in Calgary trying to make the WJ team.

Its also nice to See Sportsnet One giving us another Wolves/Abb game. I wish Sportsnet could get rights to more Wolf games, sick of seeing the Marlies or a team like Rochester on Sportsnet more then the Wolves.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 05:16 PM
  #768
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Unless its the NHL Elimination Game


Gotta highlight what roach9 said as well! With this being a lockout season so far you would think they would be covering our prospects more, especially when 1 is in Calgary trying to make the WJ team.

Its also nice to See Sportsnet One giving us another Wolves/Abb game. I wish Sportsnet could get rights to more Wolf games, sick of seeing the Marlies or a team like Rochester on Sportsnet more then the Wolves.
They should just broadcast all the Wolves games on the SNET Canucks network. It's not like it's being used.

Taelin is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 06:26 PM
  #769
ihaveyuidonttouchme
Registered User
 
ihaveyuidonttouchme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,256
vCash: 50
Just saw David Honzik play in 2nd period. he stopped 18/18! in second period alone despite giving up 2 goals in the first..(i didnt get to see how it went). Cape Breton looks pretty terrible team too..Saint John wwas all over them, causing turnovers etc..

ihaveyuidonttouchme is online now  
Old
12-11-2012, 06:30 PM
  #770
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveyuidonttouchme View Post
Just saw David Honzik play in 2nd period. he stopped 18/18! in second period alone despite giving up 2 goals in the first..(i didnt get to see how it went). Cape Breton looks pretty terrible team too..Saint John wwas all over them, causing turnovers etc..
They're both pretty bad this year, but that's saying something if there's such a difference between Saint John (5th to last) and Cape Breton (3rd to last): http://theqmjhl.ca/standings/show/ls.../171/subtype/1

Tiranis is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 07:01 PM
  #771
Dreamskull
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sudbury, ON
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
according to @coreypronman the lineup for tonights game has changed and corrado now on the 2nd pairing with Rielly.


he must have impressed

Dreamskull is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 07:02 PM
  #772
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamskull View Post
according to @coreypronman the lineup for tonights game has changed and corrado now on the 2nd pairing with Rielly.


he must have impressed
He was on the 2nd pairing before (with Wotherspoon). The 3rd pairing was Reinhart and Dumba. But I don't think they'll favour any of these pairings, I think they will all get equal playing time. Probably just made more sense to them than putting two offensive guys that are both locks to make the team on the same pairing.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 07:03 PM
  #773
ItsAllPartOfThePlan
Registered User
 
ItsAllPartOfThePlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamskull View Post
according to @coreypronman the lineup for tonights game has changed and corrado now on the 2nd pairing with Rielly.


he must have impressed
Where is the game and is it on TV?

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 07:04 PM
  #774
Dreamskull
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sudbury, ON
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He was on the 2nd pairing before (with Wotherspoon). The 3rd pairing was Reinhart and Dumba.
ah my mistake, i thought he was on the 3rd pairing previously.

Dreamskull is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 07:04 PM
  #775
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,953
vCash: 500
Can someone give me the link to the game tonight? I must be losing brain cells from studying, as I can't remember where I've seen the link...

Taelin is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.