HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 9th: Tom Cheek Memorial Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Stats01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
is this right?

JETER
SUZUKI
CANO
TEXIERA
DH
YOUKILIS
GRANDERSON
C
GARDINER
Pretty much. OLD, DECLINING. Thats what I see

Old
12-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Pretty much. OLD, DECLINING. Thats what I see
Bunch of players who used to be good.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Who do you think John Gibbons will have as his opening day starter? I think he might throw a curve ball and start Buerhle on opening day. Although, most likely it will be Morrow.
Morrow for sure. Overall, he should be the leader of the staff. I don't like the idea of having a pitcher you just acquired start opening day.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Morrow for sure. Overall, he should be the leader of the staff. I don't like the idea of having a pitcher you just acquired start opening day.
I totally agree, having Buerhle start opening day would give all the players who were here last year a doubt in their mind that they didn't do a proper job. It just doesn't seem right that a guy like Morrow who has progressed so much since coming here to be shut down for a guy we just got in a trade. You don't treat your players like that. I'd give the ball to Morrow and then Buerhle. Morrow deserves to get a shot to be the #1, he has the best stuff on the staff.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

The more I think about it the more I'd be open to acquiring R.A. Dickey, depending on the price. How would our rotation match up to the Rays if we acquired him?

Morrow
Johnson
Dickey
Buerhle
Romero

Old
12-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Glad to hear. Freaking Love Morrow unless Josh Johnson just kills it.

12-11-2012, 05:54 PM
LloydChristmas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Bunch of players who used to be good.
Not so sure about that. That's a pretty good lineup in my books. I guess in terms of the next 6 or 7 years our lineup is far and away better. But for this next season, the Yankees will be dangerous. They've got a few MVP calibre players. Guys who can get on base, guys who can steal with the best of 'em, and a few of guys who can knock them home.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydChristmas View Post
Not so sure about that. That's a pretty good lineup in my books. I guess in terms of the next 6 or 7 years our lineup is far and away better. But for this next season, the Yankees will be dangerous. They've got a few MVP calibre players. Guys who can get on base, guys who can steal with the best of 'em, and a few of guys who can knock them home.
5 years ago yeah. Teixera, Ichiro, Youk, Granderson, even Jeter are shells of their former selves. Cano is still very dangerous.

Even their rotation/bullpen are old.

Jays picked a good year to make a run IMO. I don't think the Sox will be much of a factor, the Rays seem to be rebuilding a little (trading Shields, talks of dealing Price), the Yanks are on the decline, and the O's are....well we don't know what type of team they'll be and whether or not they can repeat their success last year.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:30 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
The more I think about it the more I'd be open to acquiring R.A. Dickey, depending on the price. How would our rotation match up to the Rays if we acquired him?

Morrow
Johnson
Dickey
Buerhle
Romero
Thats most likely the best rotation in baseball.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:51 PM
weems

Barry Davis interview with Josh Johnson.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/video/latest...h-Josh-Johnson

I really hope we can resign this guy.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:58 PM
LloydChristmas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Volume View Post
5 years ago yeah. Teixera, Ichiro, Youk, Granderson, even Jeter are shells of their former selves. Cano is still very dangerous.

Even their rotation/bullpen are old.

Jays picked a good year to make a run IMO. I don't think the Sox will be much of a factor, the Rays seem to be rebuilding a little (trading Shields, talks of dealing Price), the Yanks are on the decline, and the O's are....well we don't know what type of team they'll be and whether or not they can repeat their success last year.
Granderson? Are you kidding? He hit 43 bombs last year and scored over 100 runs. The year before that, he hit 41 and led the league with 136 runs. Teixeira's only 32. He mashes at Yankee stadium. he missed 40 games last year and still hit 24 home runs. Then they've got Gardiner who could lead the league in SBs. 2 years ago was worth 7.0 WAR (6.2 by fangraphs). Cano is in the discussion for best hitter in baseball right now. Jeter isn't what he used to be, yeah. But the guy led the AL in hits last year. He's not done. Anyone who thinks the Yankees aren't going to be a force next year are kidding themselves. As much as I'd like to believe that they're toast, they've still got gas in the tank.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Corbin, Skaggs and Bauer were among #Diamondbacks pitchers who were in play. #Indians would get one in this deal; Skaggs unlikely.

Three-team trade, per source, will look like this: Choo, Jason Donald to #Reds, Gregorius to #Diamondbacks, Stubbs, AZ pitcher to #Indians.

There is no way it can be Bauer either, can it? For that?

I like it for the Reds right now unless they use Choo as a centerfielder which would be kinda baffling because he has played a whopping 10 games in CF as a 22/23 year old. If they use him in LF/RF, I like it but if its as a CF, yikes.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:13 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Granderson? Are you kidding? He hit 43 bombs last year and scored over 100 runs. The year before that, he hit 41 and led the league with 136 runs. Teixeira's only 32. He mashes at Yankee stadium. he missed 40 games last year and still hit 24 home runs. Then they've got Gardiner who could lead the league in SBs. 2 years ago was worth 7.0 WAR (6.2 by fangraphs). Cano is in the discussion for best hitter in baseball right now. Jeter isn't what he used to be, yeah. But the guy led the AL in hits last year. He's not done. Anyone who thinks the Yankees aren't going to be a force next year are kidding themselves. As much as I'd like to believe that they're toast, they've still got gas in the tank.
I'd prob just stick with arguing Granderson. Texeira is past his prime, he still has power, but I don't think hes going to be the batter he was in Texas, Atlanta and his earlier years in New York.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:14 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Corbin, Skaggs and Bauer were among #Diamondbacks pitchers who were in play. #Indians would get one in this deal; Skaggs unlikely.

Three-team trade, per source, will look like this: Choo, Jason Donald to #Reds, Gregorius to #Diamondbacks, Stubbs, AZ pitcher to #Indians.

I like it for the Reds right now unless they use Choo as a centerfielder which would be kinda baffling because he has played a whopping 10 games in CF as a 22/23 year old. If they use him in LF/RF, I like it but if its as a CF, yikes.
They're trading Stubbs, so likely that they are putting Choo at CF or getting a replacement.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post

It cannot be true. I'm sorry but if Arizona gives up Bauer. I just don't see how Arizona benefits from this. I'm really confused.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:16 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Granderson is lost if the pitch isn't a fastball

Old
LloydChristmas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
I'd prob just stick with arguing Granderson. Texeira is past his prime, he still has power, but I don't think hes going to be the batter he was in Texas, Atlanta and his earlier years in New York.
I don't think he will either, but I wouldn't dismiss him entirely. He's still a dangerous hitter. If were on a friendly contract I'd take him over Lindy Whiff any day.

Old
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Barry Davis interview with Josh Johnson.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/video/latest...h-Josh-Johnson

I really hope we can resign this guy.
Thank you for posting that.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:17 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Granderson also struck out a whopping 195 times last year. Mashing in yankee stadium is a joke. Lind could easily get back to his silver slugger days if he were a yankee. I agree about Tex though. I don't think he's on the decline and is a solid defensive 1B. Cano even the post you replied was credited as a threat. Gardiner agreed as well. If healthy this year has a lot of wheels and can get himself on base. Ichiro and Jeter are declining. Their bats may still be active (Ichiro hit better when he got to NY) but their d has taken a decline. Range is a factor for them. ARod is starting the year injured and is always hit or miss. Who knows with that guy. Their pitching is also old and on the decline. How many games will they get out of Petite this year? Can Kuroda repeat what he did last year? How will Rivera respond to not pitching for a year? They lost some key guys and haven't replaced them with much in the way of value. The yanks will be good but I highly doubt they'll be great unless they do something no one sees coming in the off season.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Granderson also struck out a whopping 195 times last year. Mashing in yankee stadium is a joke. Lind could easily get back to his silver slugger days if he were a yankee. I agree about Tex though. I don't think he's on the decline and is a solid defensive 1B. Cano even the post you replied was credited as a threat. Gardiner agreed as well. If healthy this year has a lot of wheels and can get himself on base. Ichiro and Jeter are declining. Their bats may still be active (Ichiro hit better when he got to NY) but their d has taken a decline. Range is a factor for them. ARod is starting the year injured and is always hit or miss. Who knows with that guy. Their pitching is also old and on the decline. How many games will they get out of Petite this year? Can Kuroda repeat what he did last year? How will Rivera respond to not pitching for a year? They lost some key guys and haven't replaced them with much in the way of value. The yanks will be good but I highly doubt they'll be great unless they do something no one sees coming in the off season.
Tex has been pretty bad for the last 2-3 years, don't let the team success get to you. What did he bat this year like .250 lol. His numbers like any other Yankee are built up on the porch fence. He's old and declining. Any other ballpark and Tex would have less than 20 HR's IMO Yankee stadium is a joke.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:24 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
It cannot be true. I'm sorry but if Arizona gives up Bauer. I just don't see how Arizona benefits from this. I'm really confused.
They must really like Gregorious.

Old
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post

While they do benefit from playing in a bandbox it's important to point out that Yankees had the highest road SLG% in baseball last season.

They can hit anywhere. Well except postseason but yeah.

Old
Bjindaho

Rosenthal is speculating that Napoli's deal with the Sox might be in jeopardy. If that falls through, he'd definitely be welcome here as a DH.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
While they do benefit from playing in a bandbox it's important to point out that Yankees had the highest road SLG% in baseball last season.

They can hit anywhere. Well except postseason but yeah.
A higher SLG could also suggest that they are better gap hitters on the road.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
They must really like Gregorious.
Wow, I dunno. Like I said I'm really confused, we could've given up Escobar and a good prospect for Bauer if thats the price. WTF is Arizona doing?

Closed Thread