HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles to Brooklyn 2015 Part III **Preseason Game v Devils 9-21-13

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Isles to Brooklyn 2015 Part III **Preseason Game v Devils 9-21-13

Let see if we can keep it civil here. If you can't contribute meaningfully you'll be warned/infracted & removed from the thread.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1275605

Links to other parts.

12-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Tavaresfan91

I'm going to Barclay for a net game purely because I wanna see the stadium, (I'm a knick fan) but I am so pumped up and ill try to post pictures for everyone

Old
12-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Islanders1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
I'm going to Barclay for a net game purely because I wanna see the stadium, (I'm a knick fan) but I am so pumped up and ill try to post pictures for everyone
Lots of pictures and don't forget to wear your isles gear!

Old
12-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
Lots of pictures and don't forget to wear your isles gear!
Absolutely and I'm making my girl wear hers 2!!!!!!

Old
12-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Steve55

I would imagine the average ticket price will jump 25% to make up for lower capacity.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
I would imagine the average ticket price will jump 25% to make up for lower capacity.
Tix prices will jump for sure but not necessarily by 25% avg. The huge part of revenue will come from the suites, club seating and corporate support and the rest of the seats will be window dressing. The capacity will only be 1K or so less than NVMC where most of those seats weren't usually filled anyway. The lower bowl might be real expensive but the corporate and high rollers will be there. I imagine the rest of the arena will see spikes but 25% average is steep and the upper bowl won't increase that much. Now if they are playoff regulars and cup winners then who knows you might be right.........

Old
12-05-2012, 04:12 PM
IslesArchieFan
Oh Cptn, My Cptn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
I agree, 25% at a minimum for a combination of reasons.

If the Nets can be used as an indicator the average ticket price went from $60 to $132 with the move.

http://atlanticyardsreport.blogspot....-brooklyn.html

The NYR saw on average a 49% bump.

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.c...ticket-prices/

Old
12-06-2012, 12:02 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Looks like another aging arena will bite the dust:

"LANSING, Mich. - The Michigan Senate approved legislation Wednesday to help finance a downtown Detroit project that would include a new home for the NHL's Detroit Red Wings.

Team owner Mike Ilitch this week announced plans for a $650 million multiuse development, which would include an events centre where Red Wings games could be held. He has said for years he'd like a new arena for the team, which now plays at the aging Joe Louis Arena."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411053

Old
12-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post

"LANSING, Mich. - The Michigan Senate approved legislation Wednesday to help finance a downtown Detroit project that would include a new home for the NHL's Detroit Red Wings.

Team owner Mike Ilitch this week announced plans for a $650 million multiuse development, which would include an events centre where Red Wings games could be held. He has said for years he'd like a new arena for the team, which now plays at the aging Joe Louis Arena."

But it's not the arena - oh, wrong team....

Old
12-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Bert Marshall days

Perception of Islanders now? From negative to positive

Of all the positives the Islanders have gained from their deal to move to Brooklyn in 2015, the biggest one may be something that can't be quantified in added revenue dollars or new season-ticket holders or points in the standings.

It's perception. People around the NHL -- fellow executives, opposing players and their agents -- finally might start to see the Islanders in a new light even before they play a game at Barclays Center. For that matter, even before the puck gets dropped on this locked-out season.

It's the difference between free agents scoffing at calls from Snow on July 1, thinking about what a drag it is to spend even a night at the Coliseum and its no-frills surroundings, and free agents wondering what the new facility will look like and whether the team can contend.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...#disqus_thread

Old
12-07-2012, 09:15 AM
seafoam

vCash: 50
In my opinion, when this team starts making hockey moves instead of financial moves, we will see good UFAs come here. No one wants to go to a team where the owner restricts his GM to signing reclamation projects or trading for players with a high cap hit/low salary. Obviously winning has do with it as well, but as long your team is on the up-swing and your owner is willing to put money into the team, players will come, for example Florida. I think players and agents used the NVMC as a cover up most of the time to be honest.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Tavaresfan91

sitting in section 210 row 7 so ill have a pretty good seat for tonight's Net game ill post a bunch of pictures tomorrow

Old
12-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Tavaresfan91

Just got here, this place is just awesome. Feels like your on top of the game it's so nice and it's all packed in close, on a good night this place will be rocking

Old
12-07-2012, 06:14 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post

God I feel old. I remember the Joe Louis Arena being "state of the art" when it opened. I think they played the 1980 Allstar game there during Gordie Howe's last season. I think it opened up in the 1979-80 season replacing the Olympia.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:12 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
Just got here, this place is just awesome. Feels like your on top of the game it's so nice and it's all packed in close, on a good night this place will be rocking
That's the feeling I got while there. Though I had floor seats for a concert, looking up at the higher seats, it seems like they are right on top of the action. Reminded me of the old Boston Gardens, where I saw one hockey game from the upper level, and it was the best view I ever had, felt like I was right on top of the action.

Add to the fact that you have a brand new beautiful arena with great amenities, great commutes for everyone, and you have a winning formula (arena wise). I love that place, and can't wait to see my first hockey game there. Even if its a Russian league game, I'd love to watch a hockey game there. Also eat some L&B Pizza and Junior's cheesecake for dessert lol.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:53 AM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
That's the feeling I got while there. Though I had floor seats for a concert, looking up at the higher seats, it seems like they are right on top of the action. Reminded me of the old Boston Gardens, where I saw one hockey game from the upper level, and it was the best view I ever had, felt like I was right on top of the action.

Add to the fact that you have a brand new beautiful arena with great amenities, great commutes for everyone, and you have a winning formula (arena wise). I love that place, and can't wait to see my first hockey game there. Even if its a Russian league game, I'd love to watch a hockey game there. Also eat some L&B Pizza and Junior's cheesecake for dessert lol.
These descriptions of Barclays are exactly what I was hoping for with a new arena, wherever it was going to be. I'm not a big fan of the huge bowls like Wells Fargo. To me they're the indoor version of the 60s and 70s multi-use concrete bowl baseball/football stadiums where the fans were removed from the action. I like what I'm reading about Barclays.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post

I had some juniors actually very good. Also the acoustics in Barclays are unbelievable. I couldn't believe it, when there was a big play it got LOUD. Cannot imagine how loud it will be there at a big game. I'm so excited kinda hoping they break the lease at coli

Old
12-09-2012, 02:45 AM
Steve55

http://www.law360.com/environmental/...ion-groups-say

Law360, New York (December 07, 2012, 2:42 PM ET) -- Two community groups told a New York state judge Friday that real estate developer Forest City Ratner Cos. LLC and the Empire State Development Corp. should pay the groups' attorneys' fees after they won a new environmental study for the second phase of the $4.9 billion Atlantic Yards commercial entertainment and residential development.

The project, which has already brought the NBA's Nets to Brooklyn in a new arena in its first phase, is now going through a court-ordered process to compile a supplement environmental impact statement on the project's second phase to develop much of the surrounding 22 acres...

Last edited by Homeland Security: 12-09-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Other content behind a paywall.
Old
12-10-2012, 09:18 PM
ichabod13

how is the name "barclay" pronounced? ive heard it said "BAR-clay" and "bar-CLAY". i grew up a block away from "barclay street" in baltimore and it was pronounced "barclee". just as one word.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
how is the name "barclay" pronounced? ive heard it said "BAR-clay" and "bar-CLAY". i grew up a block away from "barclay street" in baltimore and it was pronounced "barclee". just as one word.
TV announcers (Nets, others) have been pronouncing it bar-CLAY.

I pronounce it SALVATION.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
i grew up a block away from "barclay street" in baltimore and it was pronounced "barclee". just as one word.

Preach it Chuck!

Pnut

Old
12-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
TV announcers (Nets, others) have been pronouncing it bar-CLAY.

I pronounce it SALVATION.
That's pretty counterintuitive. The general rule for most European languages (including English) is that - all other things equal (no accents, etc.) - the 2nd to last syllable gets the emphasis. That, combining with how Barclay is pronounced by the Brits (whose company it is), it should be pronounced BARC-lee. If you've listened to Marketplace on NPR and heard people talking about the LIBOR rate-setting scandal, you'll know that this is, in fact, how it is pronounced on the other side of the pond.

Just shows you American intransigence, pronouncing it in such a way.

Also, my daughter goes to pre-school with a boy named Barclay. Seriously. Pronounced BARC-lee. Part of that whole last name first thingee.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
12-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
That's pretty counterintuitive. The general rule for most European languages (including English) is that - all other things equal (no accents, etc.) - the 2nd to last syllable gets the emphasis. That, combining with how Barclay is pronounced by the Brits (whose company it is), it should be pronounced BARC-lee. If you've listened to Marketplace on NPR and heard people talking about the LIBOR rate-setting scandal, you'll know that this is, in fact, how it is pronounced on the other side of the pond.

Just shows you American intransigence, pronouncing it in such a way.

Also, my daughter goes to pre-school with a boy named Barclay. Seriously. Pronounced BARC-lee. Part of that whole last name first thingee.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Maybe the orders came down from the top? Even the big man says bar-CLAY. Listen to this interview in the spring Ratner did with Howie.

Just heard on news radio 88 that the Nets will play Knicks tonight at "bar-CLAY". BTW, the last game there between these 2 teams was a classic and I'm actually going out of my way to watch tonight's. Who'd a thunk?

Old
12-11-2012, 06:00 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
I realized this the other day. Even with the lockout, moving to Barclays is so great for 1 major reason:

We know the future of this franchise. We don't have to worry about the team that we love playing somewhere they REALLY don't belong in (Quebec). 20 years from now-I know where this team will be. I don't have to worry about becoming a Lightning fan (the Islanders moving is the only way I'd stop being a fan).

We'll never know what it's like to be a Whalers fan, Thrashers fan, Jets fan, Nordiques fan...and I'm very grateful for that.

Let's all reflect on the great things that happened at the NVMC-but let's not live in the past. Barclays should turn out just fine-and hey if the seating is kind of strange-that can be a pretty cool unique aspect to the arena that none other has in the NHL.

Islanders in Brooklyn>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>no Islanders at all.

*steps off of his soapbox*

Old
12-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
I realized this the other day. Even with the lockout, moving to Barclays is so great for 1 major reason:

We know the future of this franchise. We don't have to worry about the team that we love playing somewhere they REALLY don't belong in (Quebec). 20 years from now-I know where this team will be. I don't have to worry about becoming a Lightning fan (the Islanders moving is the only way I'd stop being a fan).

We'll never know what it's like to be a Whalers fan, Thrashers fan, Jets fan, Nordiques fan...and I'm very grateful for that.

Let's all reflect on the great things that happened at the NVMC-but let's not live in the past. Barclays should turn out just fine-and hey if the seating is kind of strange-that can be a pretty cool unique aspect to the arena that none other has in the NHL.

Islanders in Brooklyn>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>no Islanders at all.

*steps off of his soapbox*
Quoted for truth. THIS is the reason I've been so aggressive towards those who have been bellyaching about leaving Nassau. OUR TEAM ISN"T LEAVING THE AREA FOR THE NEXT 27 YEARS! Repeat it like a mantra if you start getting upset about 2015.

Closed Thread