HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 6.0 - "Gally Got Backhand" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halakalakaboom View Post
Gomez 2.0
I wish Gomez could stick handle in the offensive zone.

He's the Wayne Gretzkey between blue lines.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:38 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Of course a lot of this may be how we're not used to seeing this level of forward prospect in Montreal.
I think that's probably it, tbh. A lot of us still haven't quite come to terms with the idea that we have an elite forward now. The wait is over. We are finally free from having 3rd line talent pumped up to 1st line levels.

Free at last! Free at last! Thank god almighty we are free at last!

Old
12-11-2012, 03:46 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I think that's probably it, tbh. A lot of us still haven't quite come to terms with the idea that we have an elite forward now. The wait is over. We are finally free from having 3rd line talent pumped up to 1st line levels.

Now watch him get a career-ending injury

heh, instead of : wally :, it would be :gally:

Old
12-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halakalakaboom View Post
Gomez 2.0
Gomez was still great at carrying the puck in the zone in his prime, but relied heavily on his linemates. Gally is projected to have much better vision, much better stickhandling skills, be tougher on the puck and have shot, a really good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post

That's what I've been saying, we finally have an adequate first line prospect. Not to take anything away from Pacioretty, but I'd be surprised if he keeps the same pace for most of his career. Now management has to give Gally support, and by that I mean a foward as good, if not better than him on the team.

Last edited by Myron Gaines*: 12-11-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 04:03 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I wish Gomez could stick handle in the offensive zone.

He's the Wayne Gretzkey between blue lines.
Ya know how we can always say ''well, at least Gomez can carry the puck across the central zone '' whenever he fails?

Well I've been wondering - perhaps he's not even that good between the blue lines, teams just let him skate trough it while backing up to blocking knowing very well he won't do anything good with the puck? So basically he's completely useless.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Ya know how we can always say ''well, at least Gomez can carry the puck across the central zone '' whenever he fails?

Well I've been wondering - perhaps he's not even that good between the blue lines, teams just let him skate trough it while backing up to blocking knowing very well he won't do anything good with the puck? So basically he's completely useless.
He hasn't been able to carry the puck in the zone in a consistent level since 2010-2011, that's the main reason for his lack of productivity; The main aspect of his game was neutralized.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:19 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
That's what I've been saying, we finally have an adequate first line prospect. Not to take anything away from Pacioretty, but I'd be surprised if he keeps the same pace for most of his career. Now management has to give Gally support, and by that I mean a foward as good, if not better than him on the team.
Yeah, I don't think Patches averages out as a 35 goal scorer. He probably has a few more years like the one he just had.

But then again, he did have that pout last year after his suspension.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
Gomez was still great at carrying the puck in the zone in his prime, but relied heavily on his linemates. Gally is projected to have much better vision, much better stickhandling skills, be tougher on the puck and have shot, a really good one.

I'd actually be surprised if Pacioretty doesn't perform at a similar level for the extent of his prime (which should be 23-28 for a player like him). As nice as his goals and point totals were they weren't nearly as impressive as his dominance of the underlying game. It was unusual for a prospect like him to suddenly develop so well but now that he has gotten to this level I feel very comfortable projecting him as a just a step below elite quality winger.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:24 PM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
lol I don't see it...it's just Habs fans, at least recent one's, tend to compare any player who has sick hands to Kovalev.
i 2nd that, there is nothing of galchenyuk that reminds me of kavalev and i loved kovalev in the ch

i guess people arent used to having a habs player with so much talent

Old
12-11-2012, 05:30 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
About Pacioretty:

The guy is a workout addict and he seems like a pretty focused professional. He'll give an effort consistently. That will help him remain a 30 goal scorer during his prime years. And let's not forget he'll undoubtedly be paired with Galchenyuk, so even if he isn't a true first liner on his own, or the idea that he will not keep his numbers up past the 30 goal mark by himself is true, we shouldn't forget that in the coming years the Habs should have some depth in the top6, which should allow him to boost his numbers since the habs wont be such a one line team like they were last year.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:37 PM
CP31

https://twitter.com/chrismpeters/sta...33424275783680

Saying MTL will recall Alex if lockout ends even before/during wjc

Old
12-11-2012, 05:48 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
https://twitter.com/chrismpeters/sta...33424275783680

Saying MTL will recall Alex if lockout ends even before/during wjc
So they would recall him just to try out at camp? I think that most of us agreed he should be in junior this year and that includes the WJC. I think the WJC is the perfect place for him right now.

He needs to dominate at the tournament, its a nice high profile spot with some pressure, but its no where near the pressure he'll have on him in Montreal. The moment they put him on the team hes going to have that pressure, so they need to think carefully about when they want him on the roster.

Also, there's the fact that we shouldn't burn a year of his ELC on a partial season. Just my two cents.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy33Clutch View Post
So they would recall him just to try out at camp?
This is what Bergevin said yesterday. We discussed it a few pages ago in this thread.

It bugs me that we are being out-''classed'' by Brian Burke on this. Bergy should have made it clear that once the WJC starts, Gally stays with USA, regardless of what happens with the lockout. Asking him to leave Ufa, spend a day or two travelling to get to Montreal and then have to adjust to Eastern Time for 2-3 days is going to leave him at a disadvantage trying to make the team in a 5-7 day camp anyway.

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 12-11-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 06:04 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
This is what Bergevin said yesterday. We discussed it a few pages ago in this thread.
Thanks, I'll check it out. It was more rhetorical. I was trying to express that in my opinion this is a move that may rush Gally along.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
hehe...

https://twitter.com/MaxPacioretty67/...51843897348096

Max Pacioretty ‏@MaxPacioretty67
How is USA's world junior team looking this year??

Old
12-11-2012, 06:17 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
hehe...

https://twitter.com/MaxPacioretty67/...51843897348096

Max Pacioretty ‏@MaxPacioretty67
How is USA's world junior team looking this year??

hahaha nice answer by Josh!!!!

Old
12-11-2012, 06:20 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Would it make sense to compare him to Kovalev, maybe with better vision and intensity?
No sense at all, Galchenyuk is an amazing forechecker with great work ethic who likes to uses his linemates alot, unlike Kovalev.. His top speed is already better than Kovalev has ever been IMO and Gally is just way more overall dynamic.. The only thing that compares is their sick stickhandling skills.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:23 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
So they would recall him just to try out at camp? I think that most of us agreed he should be in junior this year and that includes the WJC. I think the WJC is the perfect place for him right now.

If they'd go to the length of pulling him out of the WJCs while they are still ongoing, you'd have to believe that they really feel he will stay in Montreal. I love it, obviously, as the only thing I really care about is him playing in the NHL. I'd love it if somehow he was able to finish the tourney and still make training camp but I'm not interested in him making the jump without them getting a good look at how he performs against our players in TC. If they feel he's ready, then he'd best be up here ASAP.

IMO though, this will be sorted out beforehand as I see TC happening either before or after the WJCs. I doubt there will be a deal made over the holidays, and even if there is I'm sure that they will do what they realistically can to accommodate the WJCs. Actually, if they don't make a deal this week, imo the season is pretty much done.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:23 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:

It bugs me that we are being out-''classed'' by Brian Burke on this. Bergy should have made it clear that once the WJC starts, Gally stays with USA, regardless of what happens with the lockout. Asking him to leave Ufa, spend a day or two travelling to get to Montreal and then have to adjust to Eastern Time for 2-3 days is going to leave him at a disadvantage trying to make the team in a 5-7 day camp anyway.
Habs are way more in need of Galcheyuk than the Leafs are in need of Reilly though..

Old
12-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
About Pacioretty:

The guy is a workout addict and he seems like a pretty focused professional. He'll give an effort consistently. That will help him remain a 30 goal scorer during his prime years. And let's not forget he'll undoubtedly be paired with Galchenyuk, so even if he isn't a true first liner on his own, or the idea that he will not keep his numbers up past the 30 goal mark by himself is true, we shouldn't forget that in the coming years the Habs should have some depth in the top6, which should allow him to boost his numbers since the habs wont be such a one line team like they were last year.
I think I should've phrased what I wanted to say differently. I think that Pacioretty will have no problem scoring 30 year in/out if he plays with a very good play playmaker, but he's not the second elite forward that this team needs in order to compliment Gally and put the offense over the top.

Now, all of that is assuming that Galchenyuk's offensive prowess will translate well into the NHL.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:10 PM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
hahaha nice answer by Josh!!!!
What did he say?

Old
12-11-2012, 07:13 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
What did he say?
josh gorges ‏@jgorges26
@MaxPacioretty67 good just sucks for them that canada is always in the tournament!! #canada4gold

Old
12-11-2012, 07:17 PM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
What did he say?

1h josh gorges ‏@jgorges26
@MaxPacioretty67 good just sucks for them that canada is always in the tournament!! #canada4gold
Details

Edit:
Wow, how did I not see EveryDay's response that was 4 minutes before mine lol

Last edited by HABS2DCUP: 12-11-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 07:18 PM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
josh gorges ‏@jgorges26
BAHAHAHA that's amazing!!

Old
12-11-2012, 08:15 PM
NewHabsEra*

One adjustment Galchenyuk will have to make if he makes it, the length of his shifts.. He sometime spends over 1 minute on the ice and there is no way it will work in the NHL.. Will have to shorten his shifts to 45 sec max..

Closed Thread