HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2013: closest WJC we've seen?

Old
12-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Fulcrum

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scid14 View Post
If you would read the posts then you would see I was talking about the SS. None of the posts yet have been excuses because nothing has happened. It's a single elimination tournament....anything can happen. However to argue that Canada are not considered to be the favourites is silly.

That's all I am saying. Not taking any shots at Russia or the players. Russia has a very competitive team for this tournament. But they can't ice a team that would be considered the favourites over Canada.
I read the posts, you seem to have mixed up tournaments if you thought summer SS were 3 different teams...

Anyway, somehow Russia can't ice a better team huh? Still interesting how you came to that conclusion

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:24 PM
scid14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
It's always better to not be the favourites.
That's debatable. It's not so cut and dry like that. Sometimes it works to your advantage and sometimes it doesn't. As a poster said above; All these players are still young and in a single elimination tournament with high emotions like this one there is no telling who will step-up, who will underachieve, and who will overachieve.

And being the favourites is definitely one of those things that changes some players mentality and drive whether positively or negatively.

scid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:26 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
If you would read the posts then you would see I was talking about the SS. None of the posts yet have been excuses because nothing has happened. It's a single elimination tournament....anything can happen. However to argue that Canada are not considered to be the favourites is silly.

That's all I am saying. Not taking any shots at Russia or the players. Russia has a very competitive team for this tournament. But they can't ice a team that would be considered the favourites over Canada.
I honestly thought it would be a pretty simple concept to get people to admit Canada was at least small favourites going in. Canada has a really strong returning core and adding RNH. Nobody is arguing Russia can't win, but should they really be favoured? Because they squeaked by the Subway Series and the Summer Series? Canada's goaltending choices shows how much those really mattered to the Hockey Canada brass (and this isn't an excuse Fulcrum, it's a logical statement, Subban plays more if Canada really, really wants to win either, they were treating them like a try out, a try out and an actual competition are different animals). And the impact RNH should make at this level can't be understated.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:27 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
That's debatable. It's not so cut and dry like that. Sometimes it works to your advantage and sometimes it doesn't. As a poster said above; All these players are still young and in a single elimination tournament with high emotions like this one there is no telling who will step-up, who will underachieve, and who will overachieve.

And being the favourites is definitely one of those things that changes some players mentality and drive whether positively or negatively.
I have a feeling that we've been cracking under the pressure lately.

There was even an ad campaign about it last year.

Personally, I'd always rather be the underdog and go under the radar.

Kind of tricky when you're Canada though.

Last edited by NyQuil: 12-11-2012 at 02:36 PM.
NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:27 PM
scid14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
I read the posts, you seem to have mixed up tournaments if you thought summer SS were 3 different teams...

Anyway, somehow Russia can't ice a better team huh? Still interesting how you came to that conclusion
I don't have my tournaments mixed up, I am talking about the Subway series. That point is mute though because either way you know what tournament I am talking about.

And again, your not reading my post. I didn't say that Russia couldn't ice a "better team". All I said was they can't ice a team that would be considered the "favourites" over Canada. Being the favourites doesn't mean you are going to win the tournament hands down.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Tomas W

It will be pretty close. If Canada had played at home they would be heavy favs but maybe not so much now. There are several possible winners.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
I don't have my tournaments mixed up, I am talking about the Subway series. That point is mute though because either way you know what tournament I am talking about.

And again, your not reading my post. I didn't say that Russia couldn't ice a "better team". All I said was they can't ice a team that would be considered the "favourites" over Canada. Being the favourites doesn't mean you are going to win the tournament hands down.
Lol but the August Super Series is a completely different tournament than the November Subway Super Series.

You seem pretty confused to me

Old
12-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Mr Writer

judging by this tete a tete it's only going to pick up in intensity until the clash on New Year's Eve. Should be a blast. I'm still sticking by my prediction of a Canada-Finland final.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:38 PM
scid14

Quote:
Lol but the August Super Series is a completely different tournament than the November Subway Super Series.

You seem pretty confused to me
Sorry for posting just SS. This is why I stated in the post you quoted "Subway" but either way you know that I am talking about the Subway series because of the completely different Canadian teams I was talking about. Please stop insulting other posters and telling them they are confused when they are just stating the obvious. That's all your posts seem to be and then you can't understand why posters don't agree with you?

Old
12-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
I honestly thought it would be a pretty simple concept to get people to admit Canada was at least small favourites going in. Canada has a really strong returning core and adding RNH. Nobody is arguing Russia can't win, but should they really be favoured? Because they squeaked by the Subway Series and the Summer Series? Canada's goaltending choices shows how much those really mattered to the Hockey Canada brass (and this isn't an excuse Fulcrum, it's a logical statement, Subban plays more if Canada really, really wants to win either, they were treating them like a try out, a try out and an actual competition are different animals). And the impact RNH should make at this level can't be understated.
Small favorite? Maybe. Canada always is one. But your opinion about how "pretty substantial favourite... If there wasn't a lockout we'd have a conversation about this year..." pretty bold claims.

BTW, you do know that Russia was also experimenting as well right? I don't remember exactly, but they almost had an entirely different bottom 6 for the last 2 games and a few different defenders. Maybe not so much with goaltending, but there is no need when you got 2 solid goalies in Makarov and Vassilevski. If they wanted to win they also put the optimal roster out...

Old
12-11-2012, 02:41 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
I think it will be closer than my fellow canadians think it will be. RNH will make a difference, but all the teams got relativly better ( maybe except Sweden, but they still have a good team). I still think Canada will win it all, but it will be close and it'll make some great hockey.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:43 PM
scid14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
I think it will be closer than my fellow canadians think it will be. RNH will make a difference, but all the teams got relativly better ( maybe except Sweden, but they still have a good team). I still think Canada will win it all, but it will be close and it'll make some great hockey.
It will definitely be close, It is almost always to close to call, especially with the single elimination.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Sorry for posting just SS. This is why I stated in the post you quoted "Subway" but either way you know that I am talking about the Subway series because of the completely different Canadian teams I was talking about. Please stop insulting other posters and telling them they are confused when they are just stating the obvious. That's all your posts seem to be and then you can't understand why posters don't agree with you?
Don't worry about my posts.

I was responding specifically to someone stating that "what if Canadians put there 3 teams together - other teams won't have a chance" I'm just saying that it DID happen, and Canada didn't exactly blow anyone away. Both teams were on even terms.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:48 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Have to disagree all the teams got relatively better, Kuznetsov is a gigantic loss.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Have to disagree all the teams got relatively better, Kuznetsov is a gigantic loss.
well, this year Defense is night and day compared to last year. 9 returnees also help, compared to only 1 last year.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:51 PM
scid14

Quote:
Don't worry about my posts.

I was responding specifically to someone stating that "what if Canadians put there 3 teams together - other teams won't have a chance" I'm just saying that it DID happen, and Canada didn't exactly blow anyone away. Both teams were on even terms.
Haha k. Seems like you agree that Canada should be considered favourites for a reason. You got it now.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Cfriss216

The tournament that took place in the summer was called the "Canada-Russia Challenge" the tournament every November is the "Subway Super Series". Just wanted to clear up any confusion in regards to using the words super series when actually talking about the Canada-Russia Challenge.

Cfriss216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:59 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

The Subway Canada-Russia Super Challenge that they are proposing is just going to confuse everyone.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:29 PM
SH15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
The Subway Canada-Russia Super Challenge that they are proposing is just going to confuse everyone.

Canada is sure to dominate. Someone start a poll if Canada will lose a game in it.

SH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
What are you talking about? that was 1 Canadian team. Are you talking about the Subway Super Series or did you forget the August Series where Canada put all their best together?? The rules were the same for both teams and they both had the same number of players. Both teams changed players. The terms were exactly even, both were in preseason.

Wow, these Canadian excuses are just unbelievable
These excuses are distinctly Canadian. You won't find them anywhere else

But seriously, I think Russia is a LOT closer to Canada than most people assume.

No doubt Canada is stronger than last year, but so is Russia.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 03:56 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrappingYoungChad View Post
These excuses are distinctly Canadian. You won't find them anywhere else
Did I mention that we are also #1 in hockey-related excuses?

#1 BABY!

Old
12-11-2012, 04:03 PM
duul

RNH was making top NHL defenceman look silly last year, he is going to have a field day in this tournament.

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Statsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
RNH was making top NHL defenceman look silly last year, he is going to have a field day in this tournament.
I would think he would do well, but then again we all thought Yakupov was going to dominate the Subway Super Series after ripping up the KHL but it didn't happen. There are no guarantees with RNH either, but that's where a team's depth is so important.

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Lessy

The fact that there's an NHL during this tournament makes it a relatively even playing field for the big 4. When there is no NHL Canada has proven that it is not such an even playing field. This year they aren't as loaded as in those last two years but they are still in my opinion quite easily the best team on paper.

Hamilton, RNH, Huberdeau, Scheifele and Strome would all very likely be in the NHL this year (only one here that's debatable is Strome).

Yakupov is very likely the only Russian that would be in the NHL.

In a single elimination tournament anything can happen as we've learned. I'm not saying Canada will steamroll everyone but they are clearly the best on paper.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
He's the best player this tournament has seen since Malkin 06 or even Crosby 05. Adding him to the summer series might make a slight difference? Just a thought...

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote