HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Where does Luc Robitaille rank all time for pure goal scorers?

Old
12-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Puckgenius*

vCash: 500
Where does Luc Robitaille rank all time for pure goal scorers?

Hes still the highest scoring LW in NHL history, where do you see him all time? Is he up there with Shanahan, Bondra, Hull, Bure?

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Hes still the highest scoring LW in NHL history, where do you see him all time? Is he up there with Shanahan, Bondra, Hull, Bure?
Not sure what "pure" really means but I have him as the #72 goal scorer of all time.

I have Shanahan at #139, Bondra at #29, Brett Hull at #14 and Bure at #22.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Hawkey Town 18

If being a better "pure" goal scorer means your goal scoring skills are a lot better than all of your other skills, then he's up there.

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Not sure what "pure" really means but I have him as the #72 goal scorer of all time.

I have Shanahan at #139, Bondra at #29, Brett Hull at #14 and Bure at #22.
Order is about right except I would have Bure before Hull.

Bure is a top 10 guy for me.

Luc is more than a compiler but his name doesn't jump out as a pure goal scorer either.

Not sure about the gap between Shanny and Luc there either both are pretty close for me.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:53 AM
ot92s

luc had some of the best hands around the net that you'll ever see. picture of efficiency.

great offensive awareness. there have been maybe a handfull of guys that could say they were better up tight to the net when it comes to finishing.

funny, with that name and those numbers you'd figure he'd be a high flying sniper/dangle machine. Nothing could be further from the truth. Not much of a skater, but man, you could trust him to close out any opportunity that crossed his path...

ot92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:32 PM
McGuillicuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ot92s View Post
luc had some of the best hands around the net that you'll ever see. picture of efficiency.

great offensive awareness. there have been maybe a handfull of guys that could say they were better up tight to the net when it comes to finishing.

funny, with that name and those numbers you'd figure he'd be a high flying sniper/dangle machine. Nothing could be further from the truth. Not much of a skater, but man, you could trust him to close out any opportunity that crossed his path...
Agreed. I feel Luc doesn't get his due because he created his goals with efficiency and precision finishing. No exhilaration, no spectacularity, just goals. Sounds pretty 'pure' to me.

McGuillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ot92s View Post
l. Not much of a skater, but man, you could trust him to close out any opportunity that crossed his path...
Right here is why the answer for me is yes, he is right up there.

Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Big Phil

He didn't score the goals the way the public likes to see them. They weren't sexy. A lot of them were goals where he banged in a rebound on his back or stomach with the goalie out of position. But they all count. It isn't as if he didn't have some skill either. He played for a long time and while he peaked at 62 goals in a season I also don't think of him as being as high of a goal scorer as he could be. I don't know why, I guess he never really had that dominant season that causes you to step back. He had the nickname "Lucky Luc" and I think in a way it hampers his reputation as a "lucky" goalscorer rather than a very good one.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote