HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

The Richards deal is going to kill Detroit

Old
05-22-2006, 12:32 PM
8snake

vCash: 500
The Richards deal is going to kill Detroit

7.8 a season? When it's time to negotiate with Zetterberg (whom I believe is better than Richards), his agent is going to use that contract as a bargaining chip...especially if Zetterberg's numbers continue to go up. Every team with young, emerging superstar centers has to be cringing right now. You cant underestimate how much this hurts Detroit.

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 12:39 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake
7.8 a season? When it's time to negotiate with Zetterberg (whom I believe is better than Richards), his agent is going to use that contract as a bargaining chip...especially if Zetterberg's numbers continue to go up. Every team with young, emerging superstar centers has to be cringing right now. You cant underestimate how much this hurts Detroit.
You can not talk contract with a player until they are in the final year of said contract. This deal doesn't hurt Detroit one bit....until Hank hits the market.

Motown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 12:47 PM
8snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
You can not talk contract with a player until they are in the final year of said contract. This deal doesn't hurt Detroit one bit....until Hank hits the market.
It's really a case of going forward, the Richards contract will play a part in the Zetterberg talks. And if Datsyuk has a 100+ point regular season along with a breakout playoffs, the Wings will have to invest some serious coin in Pavel as well. I just hope the Wings have the money to build around Kronwall, Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Old
05-22-2006, 12:56 PM
MetalMilitia

The salary cap is garbage for teams like Detroit We don't have to worry about Zetts for another 3 seasons, but Dats will be a big signing next summer or sometime during next season. If the Wings can keep both of them I will be extremely impressed with Ken Holland.

MetalMilitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Sadekuuro

Z's contract isn't up for another three seasons, so there will undoubtedly be many more "benchmark" contracts for young elite players between then and now.

Richards commands this kind of money because he just recently was (arguably) the best player on a championship team and has a Conn Smythe to show for it. Until our guys do anything comparable they will not be able to ask for that kind of coin. Or I'd hope not, anyway. Not that Holland has ever overpaid to retain the services of any of his free agents before...

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 01:06 PM
8snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadekuuro
Z's contract isn't up for another three seasons, so there will undoubtedly be many more "benchmark" contracts for young elite players between then and now.

Richards commands this kind of money because he just recently was (arguably) the best player on a championship team and has a Conn Smythe to show for it. Until our guys do anything comparable they will not be able to ask for that kind of coin. Or I'd hope not, anyway. Not that Holland has ever overpaid to retain the services of any of his free agents before...
When guys like Richards and Spezza and others young centers start cashing in and Zetterberg is still making 2.6 a year all while possibly being one of the top 3 centers in the league, you dont think him and his agent will pick up on that?

Old
05-22-2006, 01:27 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
The Richards deal is only going to kill Tampa Bay. I seriously doubt that his deal will affect the market as much as it would have in an uncapped year - the money just isn't out there.

If anything, it will drive the price DOWN on the mid-level UFAs like Kubina and McKee and Samsonov, because guys like Chara and Elias will eat up all the available cap space.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 01:31 PM
norrisnick

Not if we can sign Kubina and maybe pilfer Modin from Feaster.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 01:51 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
When guys like Richards and Spezza and others young centers start cashing in and Zetterberg is still making 2.6 a year all while possibly being one of the top 3 centers in the league, you dont think him and his agent will pick up on that?
It doesn't matter what his agent picks up on. He's locked up for 3 more years and there is no renegotiation allowed under the CBA. Extensions can only be negotiated starting January the year the contract ends. So Z's agent can do anything he wants, but Z is stuck for the next 3 years.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 01:56 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
It doesn't matter what his agent picks up on. He's locked up for 3 more years and there is no renegotiation allowed under the CBA. Extensions can only be negotiated starting January the year the contract ends. So Z's agent can do anything he wants, but Z is stuck for the next 3 years.
Right.

I dont see Richards deal having any lingering effects on Zetterbergs next contract. Datsyuks? Maybe. But not Hanks.

And if Zetterberg is a 80-90+ point center and top notch 2 way forward with a good playoff record in 3 years, then he deserves a big, big raise. I dont have a problem paying money to players who earn it. If Zetterberg earns it over the next 3 years, then I hope the Wings give him the kind of contract he deserves.

But we dont have to worry about that until the 08-09 season.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Tell you guys what, if Zetterberg helps lead us to a Stanley cup, breaks a record in the playoffs and wins the Conn Smythe I'd be happy to see him get that much money. (even though I think Richards got a bit more than I think he's worth)

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 04:50 PM
19 for president

vCash: 562
I think if Z continues to improve the next 3 years he prob would have commanded the max anyway. I'm more worried about Dats. He will prob demand the max even though it is completely unwarrented. He can also hold Russia over the Wings heads because he could prob get a very good contract over there + other NHL teams. If Holland does not feel he can keep Dats he needs to deal him. The Wings cannot afford to lose someone of Dats talent without getting anything in return. I am not as worried about filling the center position if Dats leaves because I believe one of Hudler or Flip will fill the role well, but Dats is simply too good of a player to lose for nothing.

19 for president is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
I think Z was already going to be up for a huge raise when his contract expires and that the Richards deal will have very little effect on the outcome. Everyone already knew he was a bargain.

(And FWIW, Spezza won't get Richards money either, without a playoff run like that.)

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 01:25 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Right.

I dont see Richards deal having any lingering effects on Zetterbergs next contract. Datsyuks? Maybe. But not Hanks.

And if Zetterberg is a 80-90+ point center and top notch 2 way forward with a good playoff record in 3 years, then he deserves a big, big raise. I dont have a problem paying money to players who earn it. If Zetterberg earns it over the next 3 years, then I hope the Wings give him the kind of contract he deserves.

But we dont have to worry about that until the 08-09 season.
I agree, if Zetterberg accomplished that, then I have no problem to give him that kind of money. But that is 3 years away. I do believe tha Tampa has some serious problems now. They still have to find a way to get an #1 goaltender and sign Kubina.

I woudn't mind seeing Detroit to go after Kubina

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 03:56 AM
SharksDownUnder

Send a message via Skype™ to SharksDownUnder
I'm thinking that this deal could have an affect, it has too.....

Not that everyone will be signing these deals.... but that it will be used as a bargaining ceiling.... and arbitration ruling will be trouble for those that could use this card.

I think it's minimum 1.5M rich... but what do I know I'm Jay Feaster. J/K

SharksDownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Tyrolean

The Lightning has 3 players tied up with about 18-19 million in salaries which doesn't leave much for the other good players on the team. I think it's pretty irresponsible and dumb to give Richards so much. It will affect them adversly as they will have nothing leftover to get a good d-man and goalie which they also need badly.

Tyrolean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 09:19 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
whats ognna kill us is his solid defensive player, 80+ pt years, great emense skill to read the play and his playoffs this year, 6 goals in a 6 gm series regardless of those being his only pts are huge

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 10:40 PM
shveik

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 for president
I think if Z continues to improve the next 3 years he prob would have commanded the max anyway. I'm more worried about Dats. He will prob demand the max even though it is completely unwarrented. He can also hold Russia over the Wings heads because he could prob get a very good contract over there + other NHL teams. If Holland does not feel he can keep Dats he needs to deal him. The Wings cannot afford to lose someone of Dats talent without getting anything in return. I am not as worried about filling the center position if Dats leaves because I believe one of Hudler or Flip will fill the role well, but Dats is simply too good of a player to lose for nothing.
People, do not get attached to players. As much as like Datsyuk and Zetterberg, many just as much, if not more skilled, players will be available as UFAs. In 3 years, when Z's contract is up, so is Kovalchuk's. Who'd you rather have? When is Iginla's contract up?

In my opinion it's not the overpaid top players that are going to weigh down on the cap, but the overpaid bottom liners. What's worse, 2 players at 8 mil instead of 6.5 mil, or 3 players at 1.5 mil instead of 0.5?

shveik is offline   Reply With Quote