HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Devils - Habs

Old
12-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Beetlebum*

vCash: 500
Devils - Habs

If the Devils take Gomez contract what would you want for Subban?

Last edited by caley: 12-12-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Beetlebum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 09:14 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlebum View Post
I would rather wait until we have a new CBA in place before answering.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 09:15 PM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

Devils cannot afford Gomez. Theyz close to being a broke ass team.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Beetlebum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingSlayer View Post
Devils cannot afford Gomez. Theyz close to being a broke ass team.
Not true. Finances are no different than last year when we spent to the cap.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:18 PM
palindrom

it would be easier for me to trade Subban if i could have a somewhat guarantee he would come back with the team as UFA summer 2016.

and a funny thing about Gomez: Montreal somewhat struggle when he is not in the lineup.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Beetlebum*

Gomez will crack 50 points playing with the Devils if he is bought out by the Habs and Lou picks him up.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:21 PM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:
Whether you take on Gomez or not shouldn't lower Subban's value in a trade. Because if you take on Gomez he will only have one year left on his contract at an actual salary of 4.5 mill with a cap hit 7.3 mill which is great for teams looking to save cash or meet the cap floor.
So in fact its the Habs doing the other teams favours if they trade Gomez to them. Now that we have that out of the way; if we are generous enough to trade you Gomez, what would you want for Larsson?

HABS2DCUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 09:23 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Devils have too much defense and not enough skilled forwards.

The solution is not more defense + Scott Gomez of all players.
Regardless, I don't think any offer could be assembled that wouldn't be brutal for the Habs in return.

I don't see a starting point here.

manilaNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Beetlebum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS2DCUP View Post
Whether you take on Gomez or not shouldn't lower Subban's value in a trade. Because if you take on Gomez he will only have one year left on his contract at an actual salary of 4.5 mill with a cap hit 7.3 mill which is great for teams looking to save cash or meet the cap floor.
So in fact its the Habs doing the other teams favours if they trade Gomez to them. Now that we have that out of the way; if we are generous enough to trade you Gomez, what would you want for Larsson?
Larsson is not on the block i'd give you Tallinder, Merrill, Teddy, and a First for Subban, Plekanec, Gomez, 2nd, and first in 2014.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:32 PM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:
Larsson is not on the block i'd give you Tallinder, Merrill, Teddy, and a First for Subban, Plekanec, Gomez, 2nd, and first in 2014.
Id rather just keep Gomez for the remainder of his contract than giving up part of our core in Pleks and Subban for a couple of grinders and a prospect like Merril that projects to be a 3-4 dman at best. Also that pick in 2014 will be a high one if we replace pleks and Subban with Tallinder and Tedenby. So no thanks from a Habs pov.

HABS2DCUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Beetlebum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS2DCUP View Post
Id rather just keep Gomez for the remainder of his contract than giving up part of our core in Pleks and Subban for a couple of grinders and a prospect like Merril that projects to be a 3-4 dman at best. Also that pick in 2014 will be a high one if we replace pleks and Subban with Tallinder and Tedenby. So no thanks from a Habs pov.
sure brah

Merrill’s maturity has come into to question at times in his young career, but he has the multi-purpose skill set to eventually evolve into a top-pairing defenseman that can play in all situations. He has 40-50 point upside. Ryan Suter is a good comparable at the NHL level. Merrill will return to the Wolverines this fall for his junior season.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:40 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
-Terrible for the Habs
-Doesn't solve Devils defensive logjam, only makes it worse
-Merrill shouldn't be given up on
-We shouldn't be giving up a first in the year we host the draft

(Just to sneak a little homerism in here... Tallinder isn't a fringe player by any means)

manilaNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Subban isn't on the block any more than Larsson so I don't see how that is relevant. For your actual proposal, it could not get any worse for the Habs. Not only do we trade our top defenseman AND our top center, we also trade a first and second round pick so we won't even get the reward for being the worst team in the league.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:52 PM
poetryinmotion

Subban will never be involved in a trade along with Gomez. You're trying to apply a discount which won't work, a low risk high reward one at that because Gomez had success with NJ in the past and is coming off the books with a low 'real' salary.

Quote:
Subban is not on the block i'd give you (lots of garbage) for Larsson, Zajac, (cap dump), 2nd and first in 2014.

Last edited by poetryinmotion: 12-11-2012 at 11:03 PM.
poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

No way. I wouldn't complain too much if we signed Gomez if there was an amnesty buyout which Montreal would definitely use on him easily. As long as we signed him for cheap, and nothing too long term. Give him a year to see how he is, and decide the next Summer if he gets maybe a two year.

I'd like to have Gionta back, but with a $60 million cap a possibility, and being close to the cap after re signing Zajac, and Clarkson if we can, I don't think we can afford him. If he was in his last year though that would be awesome. I'd expect Montreal would want a forward in a deal for him though. A forward not named Tedenby either.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 11:34 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Quote:
simply awful

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Gomez on the cap hit he has now is pretty awful!

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

Quote:
Gomez will crack 50 points playing with the Devils if he is bought out by the Habs and Lou picks him up.
I doubt it. His abilities have decreased at a Janne Niinimaa-like pace.

Seth Rollins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:29 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Congratulations, this may be the worst proposal on HF. Good lord, the Habs are absolutely decimated.

To the actual point of this thread, loose as it may be. Montreal is not going to essentially give up Subban just to rid themselves of Gomez. In fact, he isn't going to be traded.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:37 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

I bet there are very few teams that would be willing to give up what it would take to get Subban. I doubt the devils are one of them.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:48 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
So your premise for this trade if if the devils take Gomez? Naaaaaah.... We'll keep his dumb ass thank you

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:55 AM
PATCHESx67

it would take a massive overpayment to get Gomez,hes too valuable for us

cant you see we're trying to tank

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:13 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
it would take a massive overpayment to get Gomez,hes too valuable for us

cant you see we're trying to tank
look, Gomez last year missed half the season and we had one of our worst season in history.

Any other fans are aware of the positive impact he have on our lineup?

i am all aware, he is overpay, i am all aware it would be greater to have almost any other 7 000 000$+ player (or 2 x 3 500 000$) than him on the lineup.

I would gladly put him on waiver and replace him by UFA.

But we have to give him some credit. if he was a 2 000 000$ player, he would be useful to any team.

Last edited by palindrom: 12-12-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old
12-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I wouldn't accept any linkage between Gomez and Subban being moved, anyway. If you want Gomez, fine anybody can have him, of course. If you don't, no worries, Habs are better off just waiting to see what the new CBA brings in terms of being able to get rid of him, or just riding out the year left on his deal. In an extreme case of a new CBA arriving that doesn't allow an out on Gomez and brings the cap down to the point where Gomez's cap hit is unmanageable for the team - well then that's a scenario where he could start to have negative value to us. But an awful lot of teams will be trapped if that happens, and the market will be flooded with better options than Gomez for any teams which still have space to add (and NJ probably won't be one of those). There isn't any point in making a move based on such an unlikely scenario happening. Cross that rickety bridge if it ever comes up.

As for Subban... I would want Larsson+. So far Larsson hasn't matched Subban, but of course Larsson's very young and there's every reason to think he will one day, he's a fantastic young player. But Subban is getting better too, and I really like the energy and character he brings to the team. He's a great personality to have around. The "+" would have to carry very significant value to me as well to make up for that. But I know Devils fans will say "no thanks" at the Larsson threshold already, so no point in going there.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:43 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
No way. I wouldn't complain too much if we signed Gomez if there was an amnesty buyout which Montreal would definitely use on him easily. As long as we signed him for cheap, and nothing too long term. Give him a year to see how he is, and decide the next Summer if he gets maybe a two year.

I'd like to have Gionta back, but with a $60 million cap a possibility, and being close to the cap after re signing Zajac, and Clarkson if we can, I don't think we can afford him. If he was in his last year though that would be awesome. I'd expect Montreal would want a forward in a deal for him though. A forward not named Tedenby either.
Gionta is pretty important to the team, I don't see Habs trading him. If you include the playoffs he has scored 77 goals in 200 games with the Habs, that is about 30 goals a season. And with the Habs need of guys that score, moving Gionta might not be wise. Pls the guy is pure clutch, Cammy got all the credit in the 2010 playoffs, but Gionta had 9 goals in 19 games himself.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote