HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Max Domi - London Knights, OHL (2013, 12th overall, Phoenix)

Old
11-03-2012, 02:31 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
good game tonight - and is picking it up again.

now at 16gp 8g 14a 22pts

the last little while i haven't loved his play - he seems to be obsessed w/ 1 on 1 attempts even though that's not where his skill lies and there's no way on this planet he could ever run any consistent 1 on 1 game at the nhl level...*ever*.
He scored a nice goal and picked up an secondary assist, but I honestly didn't think he was that great tonight. Seemed much more dangerous offensively at the start of the season. I think he'll pick it back up soon though. Scoring that goal tonight should help.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 02:39 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
He scored a nice goal and picked up an secondary assist, but I honestly didn't think he was that great tonight. Seemed much more dangerous offensively at the start of the season. I think he'll pick it back up soon though. Scoring that goal tonight should help.
no, not a great game...but a good game - and i felt watching him his game was moving back onto an "upswing"

he's more dangerous when he's thinking about what he's doing and remembering he's got teammates. i don't know what it is - i'm guessing an early offensive burst + it being his draft year made him focus on being "the guy" when that's not where his best play lies.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 07:18 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Who's a good NHL comparable for him ?
I see elements of both Jordan Eberle and Martin St. Louis

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:37 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Who's a good NHL comparable for him ?
100% Ladislav Nagy, IMO.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 09:53 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I'm really excited to see him play on Friday. From what i hear, he's put on a good ten pounds over the summer, and I can't wait to see how that's contributed to his surge in scoring.
After having seen him a few times now this season, he might've actually put on as much weight as they claim but he is not even close to the 194lbs he's listed at. He was listed at 184 last year and now 194. I could see him having gained ten pounds but it was more like 154 to 164 or at most 164 to 174. He's got to be twenty pounds lighter than he's listed at. Kid completely bounces right off of absolutely everyone. He's a very light player. God love him for trying. He plays the game with an edge, for sure, but if he were actually 194 he'd be a total wrecking ball.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:10 AM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
After having seen him a few times now this season, he might've actually put on as much weight as they claim but he is not even close to the 194lbs he's listed at. He was listed at 184 last year and now 194. I could see him having gained ten pounds but it was more like 154 to 164 or at most 164 to 174. He's got to be twenty pounds lighter than he's listed at. Kid completely bounces right off of absolutely everyone. He's a very light player. God love him for trying. He plays the game with an edge, for sure, but if he were actually 194 he'd be a total wrecking ball.
I think it's safe to say he will be around Ties weight when he matures. 5'10" 210 pounds will be a great size with his combination of speed and hands.

SarcazemKadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:22 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

IMO Domi plays like a combination of Crosby and Eberle. Gets low drives to the net, great hands with good speed.

If a team gets him outside of the top 10 they will be getting a steal.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:23 AM
newfy

Max is pretty damn good. The size coupled with a deep draft will most likely have him go in the 15ish range if I had to guess. He doesnt have the edge to his game that Tahir did, but you can tell he doesn't mind roughing it up. Hes got a frame to be built to about 200 lbs like his dad hes very stocky. I like the Grabo comparison but Domi's physical game will most likely be more impressive at the next level.

Some team may really like him and he goes higher, especially depending on his playoffs but 12-15 would be my guess

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:40 AM
General Granny*

To me he reminds me a lot of Giroux, a lot of questions to both of them regarding their size, he will get picked at mid round and whoever gets him will look like thiefs, just like Giroux.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Freaky Styley

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
To me he reminds me a lot of Giroux, a lot of questions to both of them regarding their size, he will get picked at mid round and whoever gets him will look like thiefs, just like Giroux.
Not sure I agree with the Giroux comparison. Sure, they both have great hands and are smaller guys, but what sets Giroux apart is that he is a game-breaker and clutch as well. I remember him having that ability from watching the Super Series games against the Russians, and Max didn't stand out quite as much as he did. Not saying he isn't a great player, Giroux is just something special and if I had to compare someone in this draft to Giroux it would be Drouin.

Max is a small guy but once he fills out he will be difficult to knock off the puck because of his stocky frame and filthy hands. A lot of time he tries to make the extra highlight reel play - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. He is also looks to make the pass too much at times when he has an open look, especially since he has a great shot. Earlier in the year he was lazy on the back check and looked to be in Dale's dog house because of it. Now he has been getting more time and that has improved - when he wants to he can be very effective at breaking up plays and causing turnovers.

I see a hybrid of Grabovski and Marchand in him. He is definitely a top 10 talent IMO, but his size will likely make him drop to the 15 range with teams opting to go for guys like Zadorov and Nurse (depending on the team, obviously).

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 11:59 AM
jughead42

This kid is another Nazem Kadri. He's small, gets pushed around and he has an impressive array of junior moves and dives. If the Leafs grab him just because his old man played for them, they are dumb. They already have one of these. Also, I am more inclined to think that he would treat being drafted by the Leafs as a free easy path to the NHL rather than something that will make him work harder. They are the last team that will get the most out of this kid.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
This kid is another Nazem Kadri. He's small, gets pushed around and he has an impressive array of junior moves and dives. If the Leafs grab him just because his old man played for them, they are dumb. They already have one of these. Also, I am more inclined to think that he would treat being drafted by the Leafs as a free easy path to the NHL rather than something that will make him work harder. They are the last team that will get the most out of this kid.
This seems like one of the most backwards posts I've seen in a while.

Max Domi won't try to get better because his dad was a leaf? Really?

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:35 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

He may have Tie's height but I don't he has anywhere near the frame to pack pounds onto that Tie has. Max's shoulders are way, way closer together. Hips too. He's just got a more narrow structure. I don't think he'll ever be big like Tie. He's always going to be compact. His build reminds me a lot of Daymond Langkow, who never had a problem playing like a warrior despite being relatively slight his whole career.

I don't mean to take anything away from Max Domi. I really like him as a prospect and I'd be thrilled if my team landed him in the first round. I think he's got a lot of aspects to his game that I can see translating well, I really respect the organization responsible developing him, and I think he's got a fantastic support system in place. I like his pro upside a lot. He's got a ton to work on, just like every other kid in the draft, but I don't take that as a negative.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:42 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
Domi is much less shifty than Giroux and even Giroux probably has close to a couple inches on him (5'11"ish to 5'9"ish). They just don't remind me much of each other playing style, Domi is a straight line guy. He is very strong despite being very short. Domi looks more Marchand like offensively. Short but fast with great hands and really good shot.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:12 PM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
I think he'll almost certainly drop due to his illnesses. If he can make it I think he'll have a good career. But with two illnesses that affect energy levels I think he'll drop due to being a riskier prospect.

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:17 PM
FrozenJagrt

I can say that most of Max's weight is in his legs. He's got tree trunks, looks a lot like Crosby in that regard.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:46 PM
sbrug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
He's actually quite the opposite of Kadri. He's short, but to say he gets pushed around is wrong. He's incredibly hard to knock off the puck and is much stronger and faster than Kadri ever was in junior. He's much better defensively too.

He has played LW for most of the two seasons in London, I agree with the Brad Marchand comparison. Whoever drafts Domi is getting a top 6 forward in the NHL.

sbrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 03:24 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I think he'll almost certainly drop due to his illnesses. If he can make it I think he'll have a good career. But with two illnesses that affect energy levels I think he'll drop due to being a riskier prospect.
He wears an insulin pump. He will be just fine. Carefully regulated type 1 diabetes barely impacts your life. Nick Boynton and Jay Cutler are another couple of athletes I can think of off the top of my head with T1 diabtes. Bobby Clarke had type one and he played before technology made life easy. No instant test strips, no continuous blood glucose monitoring systems, no insulin pumps or insulin pens. Old school syringes and blood tests that take thirty minutes to produce a result. Clarke was born in a time when a diagnosis was a death sentence. Nowadays if you have a brain in your head and you give even a little bit of a **** about your health, you will be just fine with type one diabetes. My pancreas stopped working in 2008, and I've never had any issues with BGL regulation and my A1C usually falls in a non diabetic range. I'm sure Domi's is even better.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:26 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrister39 View Post
He's actually quite the opposite of Kadri. He's short, but to say he gets pushed around is wrong. He's incredibly hard to knock off the puck and is much stronger and faster than Kadri ever was in junior. He's much better defensively too.

He has played LW for most of the two seasons in London, I agree with the Brad Marchand comparison. Whoever drafts Domi is getting a top 6 forward in the NHL.
Domi has never struck me as hard to knock off the puck. He actually seems quite easy to knock off the puck. He bounces off in both a good way and a bad way, though. Every game I've seen he spends a fair amount of time with his rear end touching the ice. Still, he generally makes the play.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

vCash: 50
Quote:
100% Ladislav Nagy, IMO.
Good Nagy or useless Nagy?

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 09:33 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy and Abed View Post
Good Nagy or useless Nagy?
Nagy before injuries caused him to change his game significantly and become utterly ineffective in the NHL. Nagy back when he was all piss, vinegar, pure skill and moxy.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:43 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Living in London and working for a company that has box seats, I have had numerous opportunities to see Domi play. Max is the real deal. He's a fantastic skater. His foot movement is excellent and he can really move on a dime. He's also a tenacious player who isn't afraid to get his nose dirty. He's also an incredibly intelligent player that is always thinking out there. He's also a very good two-way player. Joe Sakic wasn't a big player and Domi's skillset is very similar to Sakic's. I love Domi's game and this guy is a gamer.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Not that Domi will necessarily be as good as him, but I see some similarities between Domi and Mark Recchi. Similar size and build, too.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:19 AM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

I really see a lot of parallels between Domi and Brad Marchand. Both smallish but with solid builds and quick feet. Great puckhandlers (I think Domi will be better here but Marchand is no slouch). Hard workers with a good amount of creativity and vision. And they both play with an edge.

I think Domi has the potential to be a bit better offensively than Marchand, because his natural skill level is a bit higher. He's like a Marchand with a bit of Eberle dashed in.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:10 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
I really see a lot of parallels between Domi and Brad Marchand. Both smallish but with solid builds and quick feet. Great puckhandlers (I think Domi will be better here but Marchand is no slouch). Hard workers with a good amount of creativity and vision. And they both play with an edge.

I think Domi has the potential to be a bit better offensively than Marchand, because his natural skill level is a bit higher. He's like a Marchand with a bit of Eberle dashed in.
Eh I'm not sure I see that. Domi's offensive game is levels above Marchand's. Maybe a similar type "grit/attitude" but not even the same. Marchand always had more PIM's too.

Similar sizes yes but I think they are pretty different players.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote