HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout XXVI: 57 Hockey Channels (And Nothin' On)

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Jopsey

vCash: 500
I'm going into tomorrow very cautiously. I'll be paying attention but not getting my hopes up at all. I actually wouldn't even be mad if it all went to complete **** again so we can watch them go at like they did last week lol. It's pretty entertaining stuff.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:17 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
Put my in the camp that thinks they are way too close to a deal for it to all fall apart. We're not going to hear a damn thing from either side. I read that there is an official "media freeze" which is really the best possible thing that could happen.

The next time we hear from either side, it's going to be announcing a deal and announcing when training camp and the season will start.
Or that talks have broken off and mediators aren't coming back, like two weeks ago.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Iron Fist
welcome home Stastny

Quote:
Put my in the camp that thinks they are way too close to a deal for it to all fall apart. We're not going to hear a damn thing from either side. I read that there is an official "media freeze" which is really the best possible thing that could happen.

The next time we hear from either side, it's going to be announcing a deal and announcing when training camp and the season will start.

These are SMALL issues and they will be worked out by people who get paid a ton of money to do it.

And anyone who thinks that the 300 million is actually off the table, can you please pass what you're smoking, I'd like a hit.
I'm in this camp as well. Both sides know that losing a season over what is left to be hashed out would be bad.

My big question is are we looking at a Jan 1st start date or a mid Jan start date like in '95?

Old
12-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
I agree with you. Except the player is getting 13 million gaurenteed (perhaps in a signing bonus so on July 1 you get your payment). If he's only worth 6 million per I'm sure even a fairly risk adverse player would jump on that.
But a $13M player isn't going to sign for years 2-7 for $1M per. Even if he'd drop to $5M you're asking him to risk $30M. I can't imagine anyone taking that kind of risk. I wouldn't, and I can't imagine an agent who is making a living on taking a percentage of that money is going to let his client go that route.

Just my take, if anything has become obvious throughout these negotiations it's that there's no way to guess what any of these yokels will do!

Old
12-11-2012, 09:20 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:

These are SMALL issues and they will be worked out by people who get paid a ton of money to do it.

And anyone who thinks that the 300 million is actually off the table, can you please pass what you're smoking, I'd like a hit.
Agreed here. although to clear it up the 'media blackout' isn't something the NHLPa and NHL agreed to, its mandatory under the mediators watch for them not to release any information on the things discussed in mediation sessions.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:25 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
3rd lockout

Old
12-11-2012, 09:27 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Agreed here. although to clear it up the 'media blackout' isn't something the NHLPa and NHL agreed to, its mandatory under the mediators watch for them not to release any information on the things discussed in mediation sessions.
Oh I know, which is exactly why it makes sense that mediators were brought back. Let them finish this off and tell both sides "shut up and listen, this is what's going to happen"

There was a huge communication breakdown last week and that cannot happen again. There is miscommunication when you're trying to say something to a cute girl in a loud club after both having many drinks, but there shouldn't be here!

Keep it simple, try to please each other and end the madness.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:34 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Come on guys, give us a Hannukah miracle

Old
12-11-2012, 09:37 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
But a $13M player isn't going to sign for years 2-7 for $1M per. Even if he'd drop to $5M you're asking him to risk $30M. I can't imagine anyone taking that kind of risk. I wouldn't, and I can't imagine an agent who is making a living on taking a percentage of that money is going to let his client go that route.

It's not all that much risk. What do you figure the odds of having a major injury between September and January 1st? 1% would be generous. Plus the whole point of an agreement in principle is that if a player stunk it up or went Crosby on the league he would sign the extension (again the chances of a player being SO bad or SO fantastic that there would be an incentive to opt out is really low).

Then of course you have to discount the value of the alternate 5 year deal the player could get.

And a kicker, if you still need one, is that after the first 3 months. A player would have an additional 3 years of money security with a 7 year.

I'm not trying to suggest this will be a LIKELY scenario, it's just a viable one that may eventually come to fruition.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Jesus Teemu

vCash: 50
Quote:
Maybe it'll finally get resolved on the last night which is Friday I think

Old
12-11-2012, 09:40 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

My opinion is this gets settled by Saturday, both sides ratify the agreement by next Wednesday and we start the season on January 4th.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:41 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Why do we do this, fellas? We get very optimistic on Tuesday and crash on Friday.

I was out all day. What's causing the optimism now?

Old
12-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Anyone who tweets that there will be a deal done in X amount of days as if it is definitive is talking out of his ass. Don't believe that garbage, unless you're the gullible type who is easily excitable.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:44 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Why do we do this, fellas? We get very optimistic on Tuesday and crash on Friday.

Nothing really. Just assuming the sides stop being stupid and let cooler heads prevail.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

A bunch of fake tweets from unreliable twitter accounts.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:45 PM
BostonBruins92
Closer to the Sun

Quote:
Gary, make the rest of the tribe proud. Please see it as a form of tzedakah

Old
12-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:

Yeah, both of these jack***es, especially the Fehr lead PA will **** this up. Bank on it.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:53 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
A bunch of fake tweets from unreliable twitter accounts.
Even if they were real tweets from reliable sources... the sides haven't met after their blowup, there is so much unpredictability no one knows when anything will be settled. All some can say (and are saying) is that the sides are VERY close.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Tavaresfan91

Can someone telle why everyone's so optimistic I have been at work all day

Old
12-11-2012, 09:57 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

I can't believe how much time has passed already and how well ive compensated for the lack of hockey although I do miss dearly. We have already missed nearly half the season already! It seems like the time flew by.

Its kind of weird in a way but I think the saying you dont know you got till its gone is really true. Having experienced these two lockouts in less than a decade makes a diehard fan appreciate the sport even more when it does come back.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:01 PM
The Note
Expectations: Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Nothing really. Just assuming the sides stop being stupid and let cooler heads prevail.
That's a big assumption

Old
12-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
Lot of writers saying they are hearing good things for the next week to 10 days. Teams rumored to be advising players it's time to come home etc etc

Old
12-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Lot of writers saying they are hearing good things for the next week to 10 days. Teams rumored to be advising players it's time to come home etc etc
Oh nice hope we keep hearing the good news, thanks for the update.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:03 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
Nothing more than both sides are meeting and rumors. In other words, same 'ol, same 'ol.

There is nothing to get excited about.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Nothing more than both sides are meeting and rumors. In other words, same 'ol, same 'ol.

There is nothing to get excited about.
Yup. It's last time all over again.

Closed Thread