HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout XXVI: 57 Hockey Channels (And Nothin' On)

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 10:06 PM
averyrule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Lot of writers saying they are hearing good things for the next week to 10 days. Teams rumored to be advising players it's time to come home etc etc
We heard the exact same thing last time. I don't have any faith in these guys at all. It's like they look for ways to **** things up! I will be skeptical until they actually announce a deal.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:08 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
How can anyone be happy about the situation? Even if they manage a deal, we all dead before any hockey starts.

We all dead....
Sad stuff.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
How can anyone be happy about the situation? Even if they manage a deal, we all dead before any hockey starts.

We all dead....
Sad stuff.
Ah yes, the world is coming to an end on 12-21-12. Run for the hills!

Old
12-11-2012, 10:16 PM
albator71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Well, October of 2013 is after January 1st.
What makes you think we'll have hockey in October 2013, I thought you were pessimistic.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Lint07

According to Vincent Damphousse (ex-player and NHLPA high ranked staff), the NHL could be willing to move on contract limits BUT would propose less money for the makewhole in exchange. Players would have to choose, they can't have the 300M$ AND more years for the contract limit.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:25 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lint07 View Post
According to Vincent Damphousse (ex-player and NHLPA high ranked staff), the NHL could be willing to move on contract limits BUT would propose less money for the makewhole in exchange. Players would have to choose, they can't have the 300M$ AND more years for the contract limit.
Well it's for the future so they'll opt for the contract years.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:27 PM
pdrec

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Well it's for the future so they'll opt for the contract years.
Love it!

Old
12-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Lint07

Still according to Damphousse, he has learned that if both sides come to an agreement before the weekend, a 56-game season (4 games against teams in your association) is set to start on December 30, which is a sunday (and is perfect for NBC and their sunday afternoon games).

Last edited by Lint07: 12-11-2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old
12-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
I expect one more HUGE blow up and then a deal middle of next week. Just my prediction.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:35 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by albator71 View Post
What makes you think we'll have hockey in October 2013, I thought you were pessimistic.
LOL....true. And, as pessimistic as I am, I will jump for freaking joy if the two idiotic negotiating bodies settle this and we see hockey this year.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Dr Turk

Anyone know when they are meeting tomorrow?

Old
12-11-2012, 10:38 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
Both sides have to move on something.

I still fail to understand the PA and their absolute insistence on "no contract term limits". In the end, it actually hurts the players. The young guys who sign them are having prime earning years bought for less money than they can get on the open market and the "retirement contract" guys are taking peanuts at the end of the deal when they could maybe get another decent contract.

You have the PA guys going to wall so a few players can get super long term deals, it's insane.

On the other hand, the owners and their GM's were the one's who brought them into the picture as a way to circumvent their own salary cap.

Essentially one side is fighting over something they started and the other side is fighting for something that is not good for them...sounds about right.

I think the PA will take the money in the end but why not meet in the middle?

$250 million in "make whole" (those two words should never be said in combination again once this ****** mess is done), and a 5 year term limit on other teams free agents and an 8 year term limit on signing your own players.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:39 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
I expect one more HUGE blow up and then a deal middle of next week. Just my prediction.
Predicting another blow up is like predicting the owners will soon raise ticket prices or the sun will rise tomorrow. LOL Hopefully they don't need to play the game again.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:40 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
I agree.

They are going to battle it out over the net two days, come out fighting in the press, get back together mid-next week and hammer it out.

And I hope when they reflect on it they realize they are ****ing idiots. The players will NEVER get their money back in earnings and the owners will be circumventing this CBA within a year.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Euclid
Futbol Fan

Quote:
Still according to Damphousse, he has learned that if both sides come to an agreement before the weekend, a 56-game season (4 games against teams in your association) is set to start on December 30, which is a sunday (and is perfect for CBC and their sunday afternoon games).
Wow, haven't heard from Daphousse in a while. He was money back in NHL 2004.

A 56 game season wouldn't be half bad, hopefully Fehr and Bettman don't decide to leave it up until the last minute to put this deal together.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:42 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
i agree.

the nhl/pa are dragging us all into the final suicidal moments of negotiations. i'm tempted to post a video of the final moments of swan lake...but there aren't enough females on this board to get it.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:42 PM
SidTheKid8787

There has to be the mentality before going into tomorrow that this is the time for give and takes. It's all on the table, and i see give and takes all over the place. We've said this before though, but this time the issues shouldn't be that big of a hill to climb.

Worst case is the PA doing the "sure we'll take that but we like this, this and this for these other things" all over again. Times running out for negotiating like that. Both sides aren't going to like certain parts of this deal if they want hockey played this year.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
While I believe they should have changed their negotiation tactics earlier so that they could get $500M + $200-$300M AND played games.
I believe that Fehr is the only reason the players are going to salvage make whole and player rights out of this negotiation. This whole negotiation has been about eroding the players position in the CBA. Every offer that goes by sees them lose more and more, I don't see how starting earlier would have been smart. The league has never been afraid of being the villain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
OK, explain this to me in simple terms so I can understand it. Overly simplistic, but let's say we play a half season and there's a 50/50 revenue split. So, in order for the players to recoup the money they're losing by not playing, the league will have to generate as much revenue in a half season (one which lots of folks predict will lose revenue due to fan backlash) than it would have in a full season. No? Is that feasibly able to happen?
The final tally will have to be made when all is said and done. Nobody knows what kind of damage this has done or what the players are going to end up with. Regardless, it isn't accurate to suggest they lost out on a half season of pay... they didn't have to work. What they gained was 300m in future earnings.

The players are going to end up with make whole and they are going to retain most of their contract rights. That is a big win for Fehr imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
Depends on if I'm accustomed to a $50K lifestyle and felt I was unable to sustain that lifestyle on $30K. It would also be a lot different for a regular shmoe like most of us since, say, there would still be jobs in the accounting field when I decided to return to work, but athletes can have their careers expire while they're sitting on that couch.
Missing a whole season could be a disaster for some players, losing half a season is no big deal. If you think the league would lock the players out for the whole season over these issues then it was a big gamble. Personally, I feel like the league had planned to hold out until the last second if they didn't get everything they wanted.

The average fan doesn't seem to understand the importance of contract rights but the league knew full well it would be a sticking point. These players could not accept a deal that saw the rights eroded to that extent and the NHL knew it. So every offer they eroded the players position in other areas, got them to make concessions and make offers they knew could not be accepted.

Last edited by Scurr: 12-11-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
No it's 89M gained as the owners offered 211M in Oct.
That is inaccurate.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
You do realize the logical conclusion of this line of thinking is that it is better to be laid-off and collect income assistanse or welfare than to work for a living? While you won't have as much money at least you won't have to work for a living.

I highly doubt this applies to even one player who has dedicated his life to playing hockey. Each and everyone would have put in 10's of thousands of hours of free labour just for the chance to play in the NHL.
They are business men as well as hockey players or they wouldn't be fighting tooth and nail for every dollar and contract right. My comparison wasn't very good. The players forfeited half a season of work (500m ish) in order to make 300m more for their work next season. That's a win financially, unlike what some are claiming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Where did the 30k come from?
Hard for us to relate in millions so I substituted the 500m they "lost" as 50k and the 300m they gained as 30k.

Last edited by Scurr: 12-11-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 10:54 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Quote:
Still according to Damphousse, he has learned that if both sides come to an agreement before the weekend, a 56-game season (4 games against teams in your association) is set to start on December 30, which is a sunday (and is perfect for CBC and their sunday afternoon games).
watching my redskins beating the cowboys

Old
12-11-2012, 10:56 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I believe that Fehr is the only reason the players are going to salvage make whole and player rights out of this negotiation. This whole negotiation has been about eroding the players position in the CBA. Every offer that goes by sees them lose more and more, I don't see how starting earlier would have been smart. The league has never been afraid of being the villain.

The final tally will have to be made when all is said and done. Nobody knows what kind of damage this has done or what the players are going to end up with. Regardless, it isn't accurate to suggest they lost out on a half season of pay... they didn't have to work. What they gained was 300m in future earnings.

The players are going to end up with make whole and they are going to retain most of their contract rights. That is a big win for Fehr imo.

Missing a whole season could be a disaster for some players, losing half a season is no big deal. If you think the league would lock the players out for the whole season over these issues then it was a big gamble. Personally, I feel like the league had planned to hold out until the last second if they didn't get everything they wanted.

The average fan doesn't seem to understand the importance of contract rights but the league knew full well it would be a sticking point. These players could not accept a deal that saw the rights eroded to that extent and the NHL knew it. So every offer they eroded the players position in other areas, got them to make concessions and make offers they knew could not be accepted.
Um........you have the nerve to post that after they've been saying everyday "We wanna play hockey"? Or "we miss our fans"? Or "this is isn't fair to the fans"?

And then the union snubs a guy like Hamrlik and calls him selfish?

Old
12-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Does anyone think Fehr will be playing games, and that maybe he is already? Suppose they do agree to the contract/and UFA stuff, and CBA length. Then the league puts the make whole stuff back on the table, but Fehr recants on accepting it?

Old
12-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Um........you have the nerve to post that after they've been saying everyday "We wanna play hockey"? Or "we miss our fans"? Or "this is isn't fair to the fans"?

And then the union snubs a guy like Hamrlik and calls him selfish?
The players are locked out...

Old
12-11-2012, 11:07 PM
FakeKidPoker*

Quote:
Still according to Damphousse, he has learned that if both sides come to an agreement before the weekend, a 56-game season (4 games against teams in your association) is set to start on December 30, which is a sunday (and is perfect for NBC and their sunday afternoon games).
one day earlier plz

Closed Thread