HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part XII

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 11:37 PM
crazycanuck

vCash: 500
Ok, just got back from the game.
The Corrado/Wotherspoon pairing impressed me. They are both mobile and good puck movers.
Harrington was very solid and was playing with multiple partners due to the Ouellet injury.
Pouliot struggled in his own end a lot.
Sproul and Pelech are a step slow.
Didn't notice Murphy much.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:40 PM
tc23
#StopWeberSbisa2014

Corrado is such a great skater. Makes it look effortless out there. I thought him and Wotherspoon's pairing looked the most consistent that game.

Reinhart looked solid after the first few minutes. Hamilton, Rielly and Dumba looked underwhelming defensively IMO but liked what I saw from Hamilton and Rielly's pairing in the offensive zone.

MacKinnon and Shinkaruk also looked good to me. MacKinnon wasn't very noticeable offensively early on but had some nice PK shifts. He really picked it up late and carried the play. Kid has great speed. Shinkaruk had some nice solid shifts offensively as well. Drouin looked overwhelmed out there though. Looks like he's not quite ready physically. Schiefele, RNH, Huberdeau line was consistently a threat. Huberdeau has some really nice hands and had a beautiful shootout goal.

Hopefully Corrado keeps it up and cracks the team. His skating and consistency should hopefully set him apart from the other borderline players.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

The lengths some people will go to discredit Corrado is laughable.

"Oh he scored, but it was a lucky goal"

If they are discrediting him this much its clear they think he is a good player.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:47 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

By reading the main board, Corrado shouldn't have even been invited to play minor hockey

Old
12-11-2012, 11:48 PM
ZenMaster*

I keep hearing about Corrado's skating, can someone make a video on it so I can finally see what everyone is raving about.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:54 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
I keep hearing about Corrado's skating, can someone make a video on it so I can finally see what everyone is raving about.
Check out some YouTube highlights

Old
12-11-2012, 11:58 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Ok, just got back from the game.
The Corrado/Wotherspoon pairing impressed me. They are both mobile and good puck movers.
Harrington was very solid and was playing with multiple partners due to the Ouellet injury.
Pouliot struggled in his own end a lot.
Sproul and Pelech are a step slow.
Didn't notice Murphy much.
Nice to hear from someone who could make out the numbers I had such a hard time telling Dumba from Corrado if they were standing still.

Was the parking as bad as I feared it would be? I had a hard enough time finding a spot this morning, I decided I didn't want to brave it tonight.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
By reading the main board, Corrado shouldn't have even been invited to play minor hockey
Decided not to even go there anymore. Not worth the rise in blood pressure.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:21 AM
pahlsson

by reading the main board, corrado should be the next lidstrom

Old
12-12-2012, 12:22 AM
ThereGoesVirtanen
Right through you.

Most of the Corrado bashing is coming from fans of other teams with bubble defencemen and Leafs fans because we're not talking about how great Morgan Rielly is.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:24 AM
pahlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Most of the Corrado bashing is coming from fans of other teams with bubble defencemen and Leafs fans because we're not talking about how great Morgan Rielly is.
most of the corrado bashing is coming in response to more than a few canucks fans getting a little too excited

Old
12-12-2012, 12:26 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlsson View Post
most of the corrado bashing is coming in response to more than a few canucks fans getting a little too excited
Well, all I did was say "Yay, Corrado got a goal!" and the people on the chat for FASTHockey were all instantly..

"Here comes the Canucks fans pumping his tires"

"Shouldn't you be rioting?"

"He still sucks"

Old
12-12-2012, 12:27 AM
ThereGoesVirtanen
Right through you.

Quote:
Can you really blame us? What's it been, four years since we've had a prospect make Canada's roster?

Old
12-12-2012, 12:29 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Well, all I did was say "Yay, Corrado got a goal!" and the people on the chat for FASTHockey were all instantly..

"Here comes the Canucks fans pumping his tires"

"Shouldn't you be rioting?"

"He still sucks"
You should stop letting it bother you and troll them instead. #villains

Old
12-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
You should stop letting it bother you and start trolling in response.
Nah, I have to make sure I don't fail my courses.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:34 AM
Wisp

I figure since people are guaranteed to react negatively to anything we say we should get in front of them and just open with something genuinely awful designed to upset theM. Real conversation can follow after we make fun of them for being sensitive.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:36 AM
Verviticus

i dunno it might be the people who go 'YEAH CORRADO SCORED #overhyped #lolhesbadimjustkiddingright ////sarcasm lol take that people who havent said anything yet' en masse and then get offended when people have opinions they disagree with

Old
12-12-2012, 12:36 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
and getting a little too excited probably has to do with the mass downplaying of Corrado from the get go.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:53 AM
pahlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
and getting a little too excited probably has to do with the mass downplaying of Corrado from the get go.
lol "mass downplaying"

yes there's a board wide conspiracy to make sure our 5th round pick gets as little hype as possible

Old
12-12-2012, 12:58 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
lol "mass downplaying"

yes there's a board wide conspiracy to make sure our 5th round pick gets as little hype as possible
Yeah cause thats what I said

As someone who has been in those WJ threads for a while along the lead up to camp & saying I thought Corrado was a dark horse to make the team & seeing the responses to even just saying that & the responses you see in that thread tonight I would say his skill & ability to make the team is being massively downplayed.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:03 AM
Wisp

The simple reason why is they don't like us and thus don't like him. All there is to it, pahlsson.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:08 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Yeah cause thats what I said

As someone who has been in those WJ threads for a while along the lead up to camp & saying I thought Corrado was a dark horse to make the team & seeing the responses to even just saying that & the responses you see in that thread tonight I would say his skill & ability to make the team is being massively downplayed.
The problem with the main boards is that there are too many trolls who see anything Canucks related and spend their time bashing it.

I was at the game and Corrado looked very solid to me, he wasn't spectacular but from start to finish he was consistant and didn't make too many mistakes and the ones he did make weren't big mistakes. His best play wasn't his goal it was his play behind his own net that opened up time and space for him to make a solid breakout pass that lead to Danault's goal. Corrado is the type of defenseman who doesn't do anything really good (other than his skating), he just gets the job done.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:08 AM
Tiranis

HFBoards is obsessed with hype and draft position. It's not a surprise that Corrado isn't getting much attention — he wasn't drafted high and he had no hype coming into the draft either.

Still, I expected more intelligent commentary on tonight's game. Unfortunately most HFBoards posters are not particularly great at assessing players — they're more swayed by a bit hit, fancy offensive rush, bit mistake, etc. than the player's overall game.

Hamilton, for example, had two brutal defensive miscues, one of which was partially responsible for the only goal for the whites. He also looked brutal on Murphy's rush. But because he has a big shot and moves the puck well, plus has a ton of hype and a high draft position, those things are ignored.

Wotherspoon meanwhile had a very nice game on the whole but made some noteable mistakes so that's what they judge him by since he has no hype. Sproul gets assessed as having a good game despite looking completely ordinary, probably 2nd worst player after Murphy.

Pouliot stood out offensively but was a complete disaster defensively, yet he gets a ton of attention on the main boards. Basically, this goes way beyond Corrado. Other prospects are victims of it too.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:17 AM
Sean Monahan
#boring

vCash: 50
Do you guys think Wotherspoon would make the team? Seemed like Corrado and him were a good pairing

Wotherspoon doesn't get enough credit for his puckmoving ability

Old
12-12-2012, 07:04 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
Do you guys think Wotherspoon would make the team? Seemed like Corrado and him were a good pairing

Wotherspoon doesn't get enough credit for his puckmoving ability
I think he'll have it tough, Reinhart showed well after the first period and actually skated pretty well and had excellent passing. But Corrado will have it tough too, so we'll see what happens. They both have a chance. I think Corrado might've gotten a bit more lucky last night with Murphy and Dumba being flat out bad and Sproul average, but it's just one game...

He'll have to cut out the unnecessary mistakes if he's to make it. As well as he did most of the time, those few mistakes were pretty bad.

Last edited by Tiranis: 12-12-2012 at 07:05 AM. Reason: 3
Closed Thread